Author Topic: Really bad movies  (Read 2701 times)

Kook Me Amadeus

Re: Really bad movies
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2023, 12:02:29 PM »
I used to think S1M0̸NE was the worst film of all time.  Then I saw In Time.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 258
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2023, 01:24:58 PM »

Was it Andrew Niccol or Cillian Murphy that made you overlook Timberlake?

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2023, 01:27:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Niccol is certainly the common link, but I absolutely wasn’t overlooking Timberlake.  He was a massive participant in that film’s failings.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 01:39:41 PM by Kevin! »

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2023, 02:20:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Niccol is certainly the common link, but I absolutely wasn’t overlooking Timberlake.  He was a massive participant in that film’s failings.

Oh hah forgot he did that - always give him a wee bit of leeway because of Truman Show and Gattaca to a lesser extent.   

No I was wondering what made you check it out in the first place (I know it was a bit of a cinematic lull time)

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2023, 02:23:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Oh hah forgot he did that - always give him a wee bit of leeway because of Truman Show and Gattaca to a lesser extent.   

No I was wondering what made you check it out in the first place (I know it was a bit of a cinematic lull time)

Great question haha, was also amazed Deakins shot it because some of the car stunts in particular looked plain silly.

swellbowed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 545
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2023, 02:25:24 PM »
Waterworld is so bad it's good

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2023, 02:27:19 PM »

Amazing how it’s still thriving as a live, stunt-driven show at Universal Studios.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2023, 02:59:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Amazing how it’s still thriving as a live, stunt-driven show at Universal Studios.

Well they gotta do something water based there.   It used to be Miami Vice stunt show

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 239
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2023, 09:11:28 PM »
Started watching "Who is Erin Carter?" on Netflix. Trailer looked watchable, but turned it off after 30 minutes after a really strange sex scene. Main character's nurse boyfriend jumps on her with the same bloody dress and unwashed bloody hands and starts pumping her. Neither takes off any clothes. They're also in Spain and no one speaks the language. Maybe it makes more sense to Europeans.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2221
  • computer says no
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2023, 07:35:19 PM »
Hudson Hawk:

Saw this in the theater and the only people in the theater were me, my girl, and a buddy. It's not a good movie, but goddamn it's fun if you're ok with something completely mindless. Sandra Bernhard was one of the main bad guys in here (I don't think they showed any of the real bad guys in the trailer for some reason) and her weird ass character made me a fan.

Pony_Slaystation

« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2023, 08:30:49 PM »
Whenever this topic comes up the first movie I think of is Cloud Atlas with Tom Hanks. Probably the worst movie I’ve ever seen and I couldn’t even explain the plot if I tried because it’s just a huge mess. It’s like flipping through the channels for 3.5 hours.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 883
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2023, 09:52:35 PM »
^ I think it's a great example of it's time tho. Super ambitious, crazy runtime, not really rewatchable.

Watched Patient Zero (2018) last night it's so bad. It's a zombie movie so very low expectations anyway but even still it's garbage. Crazy cast Stanley Tucci with John Bradley, Natalie dormer at absolute peak of GOT, Clive Standen of Vikings, Matt Smith maybe most famous dr who all speaking with the absolute worst American accents for no real reason. Feels like sub Syfy quality

Blind Fisherman

• Rep: 84
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2023, 11:25:40 AM »
I know this movie got a lot of love recently, but "A Man Called Otto" was so fucking boring. My partner and I got maybe 20 minutes in and agreed that we have no desire to finish it. Maybe just not our cup of tea.

Also, the original "Insidious" does NOT hold up. I am curious, though, if "The Conjuring" holds up considering its in a similar vein.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 883
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2023, 11:33:25 AM »
I know this movie got a lot of love recently, but "A Man Called Otto" was so fucking boring. My partner and I got maybe 20 minutes in and agreed that we have no desire to finish it. Maybe just not our cup of tea.

Also, the original "Insidious" does NOT hold up. I am curious, though, if "The Conjuring" holds up considering its in a similar vein.
Pretty sure all of those movies are total garbage. Might get you with a jump scare 1 out of 15 tries but they basically all depend on the audience being kinda dumb and already being scared of ghosts.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2023, 11:42:33 AM »

Yeah I also tried A Man Called Ove when that came out.   Didn’t see why the book was such a mini-phenomenon.   Seemed just kind of a toothless As Good As It Gets type of thing

I feel like Insidious had a good scare with the first sighting of the evil spirit or whatever.    But that genre has never done anything for me

disclosed

• Rep: 190
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2023, 12:43:06 PM »
so i got stacks of old dvd's. recently got around to watching one called Mortal Kombat: Immortal Kombat. it was horrible. everything about it was. upbeat techno soundtrack during normal calm scenes, random white main cast in an otherwise asian setting. but most of all, absolutely no ending. not even something that resembles one.

so just now tried to look it up. couln't even find anything on it.
what i did find was an episode in a 1998 series calles Mortal Kombat: Conquest that was called Immortal Kombat (epidose 4). and that was apperently what i watched. but not long enough (only 40 minutes). looked into it and the other half of the movie was episode 17 called The Master.

now how episode 4 and episode 17 got thrown together and packaged as a movie is beyond me. not only very random, but also it seems those are 2 of the most boring episodes in the series from what i just saw in some yt clips. theres barely any action.
i just wanted to see some cool 90's cgi fatalities. but instead i got this..

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -226
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2023, 12:56:42 PM »
Whenever this topic comes up the first movie I think of is Cloud Atlas with Tom Hanks. Probably the worst movie I’ve ever seen and I couldn’t even explain the plot if I tried because it’s just a huge mess. It’s like flipping through the channels for 3.5 hours.

The novel is an absolute masterpiece. Probably my favorite novel. Simply amazing. David Mitchell is a superb writer.

Shame the movie is terrible. I’ve heard that from other fans of the book.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1150
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2023, 12:00:00 AM »
Just watched one called "Things We Lost in the Fire" where Benicio Del Toro plays a recovering heroin addict. I had wanted to see it for a while because I like the title and remember the ad campaign being kind of 1940's-esque. It was a major let down.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1501
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2023, 05:10:00 AM »
I thought y’all would be talking about movies like Birdemic or Samurai Cop. Oh well.

Wassup Rockers, anyone?

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 298
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2023, 07:04:31 AM »
Just watched one called "Things We Lost in the Fire" where Benicio Del Toro plays a recovering heroin addict. I had wanted to see it for a while because I like the title and remember the ad campaign being kind of 1940's-esque. It was a major let down.
Im gonna just call it and say Benicio is on his legendary washed up contemporary actor kick. It started with Sicario 2. he started fingering that trigger all fast and reckless, now its all gone down hill...

this is another upcoming stinker I saw that appears good, but I know (partly due to the remixed classic song that all shitty modern movies currently feature in their soundtracks,) Benicio is on his Liam Nieson glory run.
nobody says “rootin tootin” anymore to describe how gas the session was and it makes me sick

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2023, 07:25:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Im gonna just call it and say Benicio is on his legendary washed up contemporary actor kick. It started with Sicario 2. he started fingering that trigger all fast and reckless, now its all gone down hill...

this is another upcoming stinker I saw that appears good, but I know (partly due to the remixed classic song that all shitty modern movies currently feature in their soundtracks,) Benicio is on his Liam Nieson glory run.

All you need to know about Reptile not being good is Alicia Silverstone and Timberlake are the 2nd and 3rd highest billed actors

It’s like that Tom Hardy Capone movie.   Linda Cardellini was billed 2nd.   While I do like her a lot, that really tells you something about the script and/or the director if that’s the best they could get

But in BDTs defense, hes only been in a good Soderbergh movie and a Wes Anderson movie since Sicario 2 (which I don’t count against him, I count against Taylor Sheridan).   Actors gotta act

Blind Fisherman

• Rep: 84
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2023, 07:28:25 AM »
I thought y’all would be talking about movies like Birdemic or Samurai Cop. Oh well.

Wassup Rockers, anyone?
The fact that seemingly every skater has watched Wassup Rockers at least once is fascinating to me. I remember a former friend showing me this movie when we were like 12(?) and thinking it sucked back then. What a strange phenomenon.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2023, 08:21:09 AM »
Expand Quote

Wassup Rockers, anyone?
[close]
The fact that seemingly every skater has watched Wassup Rockers at least once is fascinating to me. I remember a former friend showing me this movie when we were like 12(?) and thinking it sucked back then. What a strange phenomenon.
I watched it through a Netflix dvd rental. I watched because Larry Clark made Ken Park which was horrible and I was hoping he’d rebound and make another Kids. No such luck.

Skateboarders are obligated to watch every terrible movie with any skateboarding in it. From Gleaming the Cube and Police Academy to everything after. It’s necessary to see the general perception and portrayal of us in cinema.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2023, 08:41:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Wassup Rockers, anyone?
[close]
[close]
I watched it through a Netflix dvd rental. I watched because Larry Clark made Ken Park which was horrible and I was hoping he’d rebound and make another Kids. No such luck.

Skateboarders are obligated to watch every terrible movie with any skateboarding in it. From Gleaming the Cube and Police Academy to everything after. It’s necessary to see the general perception and portrayal of us in cinema.

It’s that dawning realization that Harmony Korine made Kids good not Leery Larry

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -75
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2023, 08:58:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Recently:

Everything, Everywhere, All at Once
[close]

This movie was wretched
and I was absolutely baffled by everyone who insisted it was some kind of masterpiece.
[close]

care to elaborate why?
[close]

I found it to be overlong, tedious, unfunny, wAcKy, trite, and worst of all, it somehow made Michelle Yeoh boring. The whole thing felt to me no different than a Marvel movie.

You can hate the movie all you want with your big brain energy, but dragging Michelle Yeoh is some bitch shit.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2023, 09:35:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Recently:

[close]

This movie was wretched
and I was absolutely baffled by everyone who insisted it was some kind of masterpiece.
[close]

care to elaborate why?
[close]

I found it to be overlong, tedious, unfunny, wAcKy, trite, and worst of all, it somehow made Michelle Yeoh boring. The whole thing felt to me no different than a Marvel movie.
[close]

You can hate the movie all you want with your big brain energy, but dragging Michelle Yeoh is some bitch shit.

this is in no way draggin Michelle Yeoh, but I wish Hollywood would discover some other oldery Asian actresses.   She's about to get Ken Watanabe status where he was the (not sure if token is the right term) only Asian adult man that would get cast in anything to the point it descended into parody

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2023, 10:29:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Wassup Rockers, anyone?
[close]
[close]

[close]

It’s that dawning realization that Harmony Korine made Kids good not Leery Larry
Julien Donkey Boy and Gummo, though infinitely amusing, weren’t exactly better than Larry. I’ve yet to watch Spring Breakers even though I’ve had many opportunities.

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 298
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2023, 12:52:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Recently:

[close]

This movie was wretched
[close]

care to elaborate why?
[close]

[close]

[close]

this is in no way draggin Michelle Yeoh, but I wish Hollywood would discover some other oldery Asian actresses.   She's about to get Ken Watanabe status where he was the (not sure if token is the right term) only Asian adult man that would get cast in anything to the point it descended into parody

nobody says “rootin tootin” anymore to describe how gas the session was and it makes me sick

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2023, 12:59:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Recently:

[close]

This movie was wretched
[close]

care to elaborate why?
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Hah yeah, seems true, but sadly isn’t. (He’s been hector a lot, but this is a joke list)

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1150
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2023, 02:53:53 PM »
"Another Day In Paradise," "Bully," "Mister Lonely," "Spring Breakers," "The Beach Bum" and "Sicario 2" all go hard.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"