Author Topic: Hawk vs wolf podcast  (Read 14726 times)

Sick Duck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 94
Re: Hawk vs wolf podcast
« Reply #60 on: December 25, 2023, 02:23:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
That was awesome. First podcast I listened to start to finish without checking how much time was left before it was done.
[close]

I want more i hope he finally gets on nine club
[close]

I thought it was good, Mainly because of how honest heath is…i lol’d when he said most pro skaters are an average C grade.  When he talked about social media, it was like he was speaking my mind.

Nine club fucked up on the Arto episode, theyd likely fuck up an interview with heath.  I could see Crob asking the same stupid questions, kelly laughing for no reason, and jerome being quiet the whole time and just nodding along with whatever heath says
[close]

I’m willing to bet a lot that Heath would never do a nine club.
idk how anyone could listen to this whole interview and think heath would go on nine club

Shortys Hardware

• Rep: 109
« Reply #61 on: December 25, 2023, 02:51:50 PM »
Jason ellis is so bad

Tireeedd

• Rep: 85
« Reply #62 on: December 25, 2023, 03:04:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
heath going on this pod means you'll never see him on the nine club. he's now done a podcast. why would he ever do another one?
[close]

To have an alibi
[close]

I heard he needs to return some video tapes.

hell yeah

halvadzic armin

• Rep: -27
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #63 on: December 25, 2023, 03:30:31 PM »
FUCK Jason Ellis.

BALAKOV

• Rep: 17
« Reply #64 on: December 25, 2023, 03:43:01 PM »
the man the heath the legend!!

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1295
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #65 on: December 25, 2023, 04:03:15 PM »
Jesus Jason Ellis really just won’t shut the fuck up. He reminds me of certain people I won’t skate with because they’ll just be yapping to the point of distraction.

Edit: seriously fuck this podcast. Heath literally said “I have a funny story-“ after the Berra talk before tony cut him off to say nothing of value. And they never got back to it.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2023, 04:24:59 PM by camel filters »

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #66 on: December 25, 2023, 04:39:50 PM »
Actual funniest part of hawk vs wolf was when they were wrapping up one episode the skater said something like, whoa we are done I thought we were gonna actually talk about some stuff
But hawk and Ellis were like, no we just don’t really do that.

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #67 on: December 25, 2023, 05:23:51 PM »
Jesus Jason Ellis really just won’t shut the fuck up. He reminds me of certain people I won’t skate with because they’ll just be yapping to the point of distraction.

Edit: seriously fuck this podcast. Heath literally said “I have a funny story-“ after the Berra talk before tony cut him off to say nothing of value. And they never got back to it.
i noticed that too but honestly i think they just edited it out

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -514
« Reply #68 on: December 25, 2023, 06:04:13 PM »
Expand Quote
I wish Tony would have just thrown a shiny red ball off the set so it could have just been him and Heath.
[close]

There were at least two monologues from Jason where I could not believe he was still speaking after so long. His contrast to Heath’s character was mostly entertaining.

The seemed to get along pretty well.  Jason is definitely long winded, but it’s usually on subject and I always assumed it’s part of his and Tony’s deal that he (with extensive radio background) fills any dead air.

Wouldn’t be suprised if they were overly ready to do some of the heavy lifting in the taking department as well with heath as the guest.  Talking about mega ramps and concussions is like red meat to Ellis as well, and rightfully so.

I love heath, one of my favorites forever, but I guess I’m the outlier in thinking he’s kind of boring as an interview.   

ramplocal

• Rep: 62
  • poser
« Reply #69 on: December 25, 2023, 06:51:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I wish Tony would have just thrown a shiny red ball off the set so it could have just been him and Heath.
[close]

There were at least two monologues from Jason where I could not believe he was still speaking after so long. His contrast to Heath’s character was mostly entertaining.
[close]

The seemed to get along pretty well.  Jason is definitely long winded, but it’s usually on subject and I always assumed it’s part of his and Tony’s deal that he (with extensive radio background) fills any dead air.

Wouldn’t be suprised if they were overly ready to do some of the heavy lifting in the taking department as well with heath as the guest.  Talking about mega ramps and concussions is like red meat to Ellis as well, and rightfully so.

I love heath, one of my favorites forever, but I guess I’m the outlier in thinking he’s kind of boring as an interview.
Best part of the interview is when Heath made Tony kook Berra I legit laughed

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
  • I cut my grip with Occam's razor
« Reply #70 on: December 25, 2023, 07:12:33 PM »

that moment stuck out to me as well, along with the very long self-centered monolog. very frustrating. Jason and Tony both so badly want to be mega famous, but Jason has that desperate, "tell me you love me," vibe in the way he interacts with his guests.

streetmeat

• Rep: 170
« Reply #71 on: December 25, 2023, 07:32:09 PM »
Ellis in this vs Crob saying ‘listen bro, we’re just huge fans here’ every 3 mins in a 9C that will never happen

Shuh

• Rep: 4
« Reply #72 on: December 25, 2023, 09:13:57 PM »
Ellis in this vs Crob saying ‘listen bro, we’re just huge fans here’ every 3 mins in a 9C that will never happen

They have their downsides bit honestly i still perfer them but i know their chances or more slim till none,

labor

• Rep: -39
« Reply #73 on: December 25, 2023, 09:32:41 PM »
Honestly it is probably Tony's fault for being too polite to stop Jason Elliss. Jason literally stops interviewing the guest to talk about:

His short lived UFC career, why he stopped skating and started again, "lasers" breaking down something in some UFC fighters brain, the critical thought used in cage fighting, deep confusion at Heath's wanting to work a job, how good tony hawk is at skating mini ramps, deep confusion as why someone wouldn't want to be on instagram, how frequently he went to the hospital because he always tried the hardest trick in his run, his many injuries, doctors informing him about concussion procedures but defying their orders to hell ride that mega ramp contest... among other transgressions.

Ive never listened to one of these. But Heath is obviously a unique guest, which Tony makes clear at the outset, but they basically inhibit him from telling any detailed story because Jason hijacks the conversation to talk about himself and his meaningless career. With a guest who is shy or less self promoting, obviously you have to work with their pace. Jason literally just talked about himself.

This was generally a waste of an opportunity other than Heath's brutal deadpan honesty about why he doesnt care about UFC or instagram or whatever else Jason was pushing. Do people listen to this podcast? Is is usually this bad? Tony is obviously a very articulate and thoughtful guy but Jason Ellis is just like a complete conversation killer.

Though heath would not likely do the nine club, Chris Roberts would have done better simply because he would have allowed heath to talk. And Im not necessarily a fan of the nine club format.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #74 on: December 25, 2023, 09:38:29 PM »
Honestly it is probably Tony's fault for being too polite to stop Jason Elliss. Jason literally stops interviewing the guest to talk about:

His short lived UFC career, why he stopped skating and started again, "lasers" breaking down something in some UFC fighters brain, the critical thought used in cage fighting, deep confusion at Heath's wanting to work a job, how good tony hawk is at skating mini ramps, deep confusion as why someone wouldn't want to be on instagram, how frequently he went to the hospital because he always tried the hardest trick in his run, his many injuries, doctors informing him about concussion procedures but defying their orders to hell ride that mega ramp contest... among other transgressions.

Ive never listened to one of these. But Heath is obviously a unique guest, which Tony makes clear at the outset, but they basically inhibit him from telling any detailed story because Jason hijacks the conversation to talk about himself and his meaningless career. With a guest who is shy or less self promoting, obviously you have to work with their pace. Jason literally just talked about himself.

This was generally a waste of an opportunity other than Heath's brutal deadpan honesty about why he doesnt care about UFC or instagram or whatever else Jason was pushing. Do people listen to this podcast? Is is usually this bad? Tony is obviously a very articulate and thoughtful guy but Jason Ellis is just like a complete conversation killer.

Though heath would not likely do the nine club, Chris Roberts would have done better simply because he would have allowed heath to talk. And Im not necessarily a fan of the nine club format.
I'd actually say this was one of Jason's best eppisodes

fastlane

• Rep: -5
« Reply #75 on: December 26, 2023, 03:16:01 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

At least on the Nine Club we would have gotten his sponsor history, and then on top of that, I think you would have gotten some pretty interesting anecdotes. I've always wanted to know why and when he left Birdhouse, did he go to Workshop straight after? Was he ever tempted to join Baker? I think he was extremely competitive with Reynolds, was it true? I honestly had no idea he was on Foundation, wish they went into that more, the funny thing is he kinda looks like a Foundation skater in The End. ergh. This guy is the most mysterious skateboarder of all time, well he's up there, and they fucked this up.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #76 on: December 26, 2023, 04:28:06 AM »
I Like Jason Ellis as a personality, but every time Heath was about to tell a story, he jumped in a derailed the conversation. It got me pretty mad towards the end. This episode would have probably been better without Ellis.

There was a weird, but intersting tension between him an Heath from the start, which was underlined by the comment in the intro where Ellis condecendingly said: “would it help you if I pretended to be nervous as well?“
They are both hyper competitive “Alpha“ dudes, who are also openly socially insecure. With Ellis this results in Lots of talk and with Heath it results being blunt, talking less and downplaying his role.
Both kept getting triggered by the other person.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2023, 07:02:28 AM by S. »

Skatebrain

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 14
« Reply #77 on: December 26, 2023, 04:51:29 AM »
I’d imagine anyone who has started a podcast does so because they like to talk.   To a smaller extent many just like to talk about themselves.    Part of being a good conversationalist is finding and sharing like experiences, but that can easily lead to focusing topics about one’s  self.   I’d say Jason Ellis often falls into this trap.   

AllisonChalmers

• Rep: -41
« Reply #78 on: December 26, 2023, 07:04:15 AM »
Of all the people who could be there to ask the need-to-know questions and carry an interesting conversation with this legend and not spook him out of future interviews WHY THE FUCK IS JASON ELLIS IN THIS ROOM.

30 minutes into the interview and it looks like all Heath can think about is crippling Jason in an octagon fight. This was the opposite of an interview in that I learned nothing and only have more questions now. First and last episode of this shite I will ever watch.

2023 Kook of The Year: fucking jason ellis

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #79 on: December 26, 2023, 07:40:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

At least on the Nine Club we would have gotten his sponsor history, and then on top of that, I think you would have gotten some pretty interesting anecdotes. I've always wanted to know why and when he left Birdhouse, did he go to Workshop straight after? Was he ever tempted to join Baker? I think he was extremely competitive with Reynolds, was it true? I honestly had no idea he was on Foundation, wish they went into that more, the funny thing is he kinda looks like a Foundation skater in The End. ergh. This guy is the most mysterious skateboarder of all time, well he's up there, and they fucked this up.

I haven't and will not listen to this, but Heath is bound to have a different conversation with Tony Hawk, someone with whom he's had a personal and professional relationship for ~25-30 years, than he will with the relative strangers on the 9 Club.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
« Reply #80 on: December 26, 2023, 07:49:02 AM »
He's not comfortable being interviewed, and Hawk vs. Wolf is always pretty light....it's a podcast, not a skateboarding podcast.....so you got more than what I would have expected....the epicly later'd stuff is as good as it gets.....he left you wanting more...surprise! 

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #81 on: December 26, 2023, 07:58:39 AM »
damn that was way too short of an interview. Even heath seemed like it was just getting started when Tony was ready to wrap it up.  Would genuinely love a Nine Club interview even though it wouldn't be perfect but I'd bet they dive into more stuff than this

AllisonChalmers

« Reply #82 on: December 26, 2023, 08:02:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
That was awesome. First podcast I listened to start to finish without checking how much time was left before it was done.
[close]

I want more i hope he finally gets on nine club
[close]

I thought it was good, Mainly because of how honest heath is…i lol’d when he said most pro skaters are an average C grade.  When he talked about social media, it was like he was speaking my mind.

Nine club fucked up on the Arto episode, theyd likely fuck up an interview with heath.  I could see Crob asking the same stupid questions, kelly laughing for no reason, and jerome being quiet the whole time and just nodding along with whatever heath says
[close]

I’m willing to bet a lot that Heath would never do a nine club.
[close]
idk how anyone could listen to this whole interview and think heath would go on nine club

Fingers crossed he realizes that he needs a proper interview after that dumpster-fire of a podcast. His epicly later'd episodes were sick but probably more personal than he wants to get, I think he just wants to talk about skating. I think the Bunt boys could do it right, if not them than some other A+ level pro / photographer that knows what they're talking about. Benny or someone from the mid-late AWS days. AVE. Maybe a slightly hammered Jason Dill. Definitely needs to be beers involved and not editing out the Berra dirt.

TheWineClub

• Rep: 41
« Reply #83 on: December 26, 2023, 09:40:27 AM »
Yeah, this is the first episode I gave a shot and man that was horrible. Jason Ellis fucking sucks and I think Tony doesn’t realize he could do this by himself just fine and it would be way better.

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 96
« Reply #84 on: December 26, 2023, 10:01:04 AM »
I remember reading Heath interviews as a kid and they were basically the same thing and one sentence answers.  You guys are never gonna get the amazing interview you're asking for, Jason Ellis or not

fried

• Rep: 52
« Reply #85 on: December 26, 2023, 10:53:32 AM »
Jason Ellis definitely fucked that one up

I think Heath would’ve done well on the bunt, especially since you’re not on camera. I’d imagine he’d be good at rapid fire

AllisonChalmers

« Reply #86 on: December 26, 2023, 11:18:50 AM »
I remember reading Heath interviews as a kid and they were basically the same thing and one sentence answers.  You guys are never gonna get the amazing interview you're asking for, Jason Ellis or not

It's not even about us deserving a better interview, it's about Heath deserving a better interview.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1074
« Reply #87 on: December 26, 2023, 11:50:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It's not even about us deserving a better interview, it's about Heath deserving a better interview.

I don’t think heath wants to talk about shit that happened over 20 years ago, but willing to do a solid for Tony.

Tireeedd

• Rep: 85
« Reply #88 on: December 26, 2023, 12:34:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I don’t think heath wants to talk about shit that happened over 20 years ago, but willing to do a solid for Tony.

he literally says that at the beginning of the episode, which I know breaks all our hearts as fans but is rather commendable with heath living in the now

TheWineClub

• Rep: 41
« Reply #89 on: December 26, 2023, 12:36:07 PM »
I think I’ve accepted that his epicly laterd was as close as we’re ever going to get to a detailed personal interview about Heath, I just hate Jason Ellis.