Author Topic: Ollie body varial  (Read 411 times)

Keep_on_Chooglin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 28
Ollie body varial
« on: August 24, 2023, 02:30:10 PM »
Anyone got tips for this heinous trick? Dude I play SKATE with at the curb spot does one every. single. game and it gets me every time.

Seems like the key is to body varial once the board has leveled out but I can't seem to get these.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1570
Re: Ollie body varial
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2023, 03:10:34 PM »
In order to make it look good you definitely want to stabilize your ollie first so that it feels like a late trick, of course you can just barely pop and turn your body early to facilitate it in principle but that's how you get weak ones. Timing is like one of those frontside 180 ollies over relatively tall stuff except you don't exactly wind up the same seeing as you're not trying to bring the board around with you, so there's less effort involved. You want to keep the ollie straight (you want to maximize that step, that is why delaying the rotation is important), but you do want the part where you drive the nose down like you would over an obstacle or on a nosebonk and that is during that weight shift that you turn. Turn mostly is a lower body shuffle and crossing of the legs, if familiar with fighting stance switch footwork in some martial arts (Vivien Feil compares it to taekwondo), that is the exact same thing. Upper body doesn't do much but already should be facing mostly forward anyway like one is tempted to do on big ollies and frontside 180 ollies and so only has to shift the opposite way just a little as the lower body from the hips down catches up.

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 171
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2023, 05:43:41 PM »
Dude I play SKATE with at the curb spot does one every. single. game

Politely inform the "Dude" that an ollie body varial is not a trick, let them know that they lose their turn for trying it, proceed with your trick attempt

Keep_on_Chooglin

• Rep: 28
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2023, 05:52:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Dude I play SKATE with at the curb spot does one every. single. game
[close]

Politely inform the "Dude" that an ollie body varial is not a trick, let them know that they lose their turn for trying it, proceed with your trick attempt

Oh, he's well aware of the mockery he's making of himself but I've fallen to this trick too many times that now I just want to do it vs. calling it foul play. FWIW I do 360 front shuvs (dumb trick I'm weirdly consistent with) pretty much every game so he isn't the only one bringing bullshit to the table.

Silhoutte, this is great. Thank you.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2023, 05:34:37 AM »
I can barely do these, they always rocket and look disgusting.

Kickflip body varials are a lot easier IMO, learn those then get him back!

Dojsha Abuser

• Rep: -25
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2023, 09:11:38 PM »
you mean "ollie bud varial" right?