11 (3.1%)
Dying to Live
3 (0.8%)
Mosaic
16 (4.5%)
Menikmati
10 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 350

Author Topic: Yeah Right vs Sorry vs Baker 3  (Read 7319 times)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 258
Re: Yeah Right vs Sorry vs Baker 3
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2023, 07:52:59 PM »
Expand Quote
All the videos released between Feedback and Sight Unseen are contenders for the greatest videos.    Modus, photo, menikimati, sorry, baker2g, etc etc
[close]

i get what your are trying to say but i think the time table is a bit off...sorry came out in 02...sight unseen in 01

Damn, my timing is off.   I know basically what was released before I graduated HS in 03, but I apparently have no concept of the year.

Mongo Lloyd

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 192
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2023, 07:57:08 PM »
Expand Quote
:-\
Expand Quote
Really surprised with a bunch of hipsters that post here and Sorry got so many votes.

Photo, that is a weak video compared to Yeah Right, Sorry, Mosaic and Baker 3 should be in first place based in audience.

But c’mon to normal guys like me the best video is Yeah Right so far. Video was magic when it launched and Girl was the biggest brand in the game in that momment.

Koston (the goat) in his prime, Marc Johnson stylish with full part. Gino full part was a surprise. Paul and Jereme golden Kids… Chocolate montage, Rick Howard ender was epic. Owen Wilson, Rick Mccrank at his best (shitty song).

BA….Almost all the goats with fullparts…incredible video…followed by Sorry as the best ever.
[close]

Yeah Right to me is MJ, BA and McCrank.

The rest is really mostly just filler.

Crail didn’t achieve peak cringe at this point, but they were well on their way.
[close]

Gino part was filler?
Koston?
Carroll?
Biebel had a good part.

I voted in Mosaic but when this video was out everyone only talked about it.. and Kostons ender.

I’m a big MC guy, but the others didn’t do a whole lot for me. Be it because of the sequencing or the music.

I don’t want to shit on the then unimpeachable Koston, but I think there’s something about the skater that could seemingly do everything that didn’t resonate with me. Unlike others in this thread I actually dig the Frank Black jam.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

TheWineClub

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 51
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2023, 07:58:42 PM »
Baker 3 had great footage and used really good songs, but the visuals were pretty poor. The titles were basic and “gay bird moment” was pretty cringe looking bad.

My pick would probably be Photosynthesis. I had different favorite parts over the years and the visuals were great and made me want to shoot in super 8 and 16mm.

Halpert

• Rep: -18
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2023, 08:00:14 PM »
:-\
Expand Quote
Really surprised with a bunch of hipsters that post here and Sorry got so many votes.

Photo, that is a weak video compared to Yeah Right, Sorry, Mosaic and Baker 3 should be in first place based in audience.

But c’mon to normal guys like me the best video is Yeah Right so far. Video was magic when it launched and Girl was the biggest brand in the game in that momment.

Koston (the goat) in his prime, Marc Johnson stylish with full part. Gino full part was a surprise. Paul and Jereme golden Kids… Chocolate montage, Rick Howard ender was epic. Owen Wilson, Rick Mccrank at his best (shitty song).

BA….Almost all the goats with fullparts…incredible video…followed by Sorry as the best ever.
[close]

Yeah Right to me is MJ, BA and McCrank.

The rest is really mostly just filler.

Crail didn’t achieve peak cringe at this point, but they were well on their way.

Who hurt you?

winecrab

• Rep: -176
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2023, 08:06:47 PM »
Sorry is still the best video of all time.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2023, 08:14:01 PM »
Baker 3 had great footage and used really good songs, but the visuals were pretty poor. The titles were basic and “gay bird moment” was pretty cringe looking bad.

My pick would probably be Photosynthesis. I had different favorite parts over the years and the visuals were great and made me want to shoot in super 8 and 16mm.

Yeah Baker 3 never did anything for me after Baker2G was so seminal.  The Strickland videos felt dark and grimy and dangerous for a lack of a better word and Baker 3 just felt like a sanitized version.   Like AC/DC was more successful with Brian Johnson, but was at its best with Bon Scott (maybe doesn’t quite line up).   

Modus worked better for me than Yeah Right in terms of MJ, MC, and BA parts.   Maybe bc it was first…

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -226
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2023, 08:17:31 PM »
Really Sorry was better and more watchable than Sorry.

Yeah Right was the best video of the early 2000’s, followed by the DC video.

Menikmati and Mosaic are 3rd and 4th respectively.

Fully Flared was the best video of the late 2000’s.

I probably rewatched Yeah Right, Ryde or Die, DC, and Photosynthesis the most.

I went to the premieres for Mosaic and Mind Field… Mind Field was actually received better by people I know.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2016
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2023, 08:18:29 PM »
Sorry.  I was a huge zero fan at the time and in retrospect I revisit mindfield more than others but sorry hands down is just so good I watched it constantly when it came out.

Sorry was lighting in a bottle - perfect team, perfect time, perfect vibe that was authentically them, perfect length.

Really Sorry tried to recapture that magic but always felt like b-roll despite how good the parts were. Maybe it was how little hype there was surrounding it and how it just appeared on video sharing sites.

Mindfield was the end of the hour-long-overly-produced era, I won't watch it end-to-end but I revisit Arto / Kalis / Bledsoe / Kirchart parts regularly.

If I'm being honest with myself I've probably rewatched Dying to Live the most of that list, was a huge JT fan even though I could never skate handrails. Now I just rewatch the Jon Allie part because his flip into rail tricks is perfection.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2023, 08:22:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Sorry.  I was a huge zero fan at the time and in retrospect I revisit mindfield more than others but sorry hands down is just so good I watched it constantly when it came out.
[close]

Sorry was lighting in a bottle - perfect team, perfect time, perfect vibe that was authentically them, perfect length.

Really Sorry tried to recapture that magic but always felt like b-roll despite how good the parts were. Maybe it was how little hype there was surrounding it and how it just appeared on video sharing sites.

Mindfield was the end of the hour-long-overly-produced era, I won't watch it end-to-end but I revisit Arto / Kalis / Bledsoe / Kirchart parts regularly.

If I'm being honest with myself I've probably rewatched Dying to Live the most of that list, was a huge JT fan even though I could never skate handrails. Now I just rewatch the Jon Allie part because his flip into rail tricks is perfection.

Really Sorry was kinda just made for the DVD release.   I think it was mostly these guys were still skating at their peak and wanted to throw something together and not wait a long time to do it

SkatefulDead

• Rep: -7
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2023, 08:24:14 PM »
How has Fully Flared not been mentioned?

Southernmost

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2023, 08:25:27 PM »
Flip “Sorry” is overall the best vid from that era. Skaters, spots, tricks, music, the filming. It had just the right amount of everything without being too much or too little. Some page on Instagram did a poll in recent years for best vid of all time and Sorry was the winner of that. Can’t remember who ran the poll, maybe @SML_Talk. Baker2G, Photosynthesis and Misled Youth are up there for me as well. Heaths part in Sight Unseen is one of my top fav parts of all time. Yeah Right is a great video but wasn’t one of my personal top favorites.

tadej Pog

• Rep: -528
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2023, 08:26:12 PM »
Epic parts per videos

Sorry:

Geof  Rowley
Mark Appleyard
Arto Saari
Bastien Salabanzi

Baker 3

Antwuan Dixon
Andrew Reynolds
Bryan Herman
Jim Greco

Yeah Right
Marc Johnson
Eric Koston
Rick Mccrank
Brian Anderson
Jereme Rogers
Justin Eldridge
Robbie Mckinley

Photosynthesis

Josh Kalis
Brian Wenning
Jason Dill
Anthony Pappalardo

Thats I can pick
Miss you Rusty Berings

Mongo Lloyd

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 192
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2023, 08:31:36 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah Baker 3 never did anything for me after Baker2G was so seminal.  The Strickland videos felt dark and grimy and dangerous for a lack of a better word and Baker 3 just felt like a sanitized version.   Like AC/DC was more successful with Brian Johnson, but was at its best with Bon Scott (maybe doesn’t quite line up).   

Modus worked better for me than Yeah Right in terms of MJ, MC, and BA parts.   Maybe bc it was first…

You might be the only person I’ve ever seen who’s nailed this aspect of Baker’s offerings from my personal perspective. While I enjoyed the the videos, they didn’t  resonate with a young me me. They felt dangerous in a way that wasn’t enticing, but rather felt cautionary to me.

At that time I wasn’t into substance abuse nor partying (that would come later).

I still hold that the Reason is one of the best videos within that 5 year period, and This is Skateboarding would be my 3rd choice. Maybe Sorry, the Reason and This is Skateboarding are interchangeable depending on mood.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 261
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2023, 08:34:17 PM »
Label Kills.

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2023, 08:34:58 PM »
1. Sorry
2. Baker 2g
3. Menikmati

Big ups to French Fred for massively improving the quality of filming, editing and overall video production through that period.

Sleeper pick: Cliche Bon Apetit

Guilty pleasures: Guilty and Label Kills
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 883
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2023, 08:57:10 PM »
Even tho it's released in 2000 Photosynthesis really feels more like a 90s video to me.
Yeah Rights really good but it's long and too varied so while there's something for everyone it's hard to just watch without wanting to skip bits.
Flip Sorry/Really Sorry same thing with having a team where everyone feels completely different
Mosaic is a concise project. All aspects are good. Inhabitants should be on the list too.

Also Ipath promo.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2016
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2023, 09:17:49 PM »
Even tho it's released in 2000 Photosynthesis really feels more like a 90s video to me.
Yeah Rights really good but it's long and too varied so while there's something for everyone it's hard to just watch without wanting to skip bits.
Flip Sorry/Really Sorry same thing with having a team where everyone feels completely different
Mosaic is a concise project. All aspects are good. Inhabitants should be on the list too.

Also Ipath promo.

Thinking of the Ipath promo made me think of the Popwar video that never was.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

decoi1

• Rep: 19
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2023, 09:42:06 PM »
PJHWL should at least be in the conversation. It was hard not to keep watching it at the time. But Yea Right, Sorry and Photo are all time. Hard to choose

Banned from the room

« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2023, 09:57:30 PM »
Wheres stay gold?

Banned from the room

« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2023, 09:58:34 PM »
Also PJ but just his whl part. I don't gotta sit through the rest

Grand Saber

• Rep: 8
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2023, 10:25:49 PM »
I would like to please add Bag of Suck in the discussion too. Diverse style of skaters, great music, all without feeling too long

Shortys Hardware

• Rep: 115
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2023, 10:32:15 PM »
BkrBtlg3 was meant to be the next Baker video with introduction to Bootleg right..? So....that would've been what became Bootleg 3000 and Baker 3....I wonder what the timeline would look like if that happened....and Reynolds & Jay relationship didn't go belly up..

I like all the videos that are on the Poll for various reasons, and will watch parts from it pretty frequently...it's so hard to pick, and i constantly change my mind...

Expand Quote

Also Ipath promo.

[close]

What a team....the second teaser was the first video i ever purchased with my own money...they should've just put one video out at the end of 2004 with all that footage, would be a cult classic like the ipath promo...

Was Hype skateboards a sort of rebranding attempt at trying to bring it back?

Are we all in agreeance that videos like New blood, That's life, Good and Evil are a notch below and don't fit in this category ? (personal taste aside)

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2023, 10:34:35 PM »
BkrBtlg3 was meant to be the next Baker video with introduction to Bootleg right..? So....that would've been what became Bootleg 3000 and Baker 3....I wonder what the timeline would look like if that happened....and Reynolds & Jay relationship didn't go belly up..

I like all the videos that are on the Poll for various reasons, and will watch parts from it pretty frequently...it's so hard to pick, and i constantly change my mind...

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Also Ipath promo.

[close]

[close]

What a team....the second teaser was the first video i ever purchased with my own money...they should've just put one video out at the end of 2004 with all that footage, would be a cult classic like the ipath promo...

Are we all in agreeance that videos like New blood, That's life, Good and Evil are a notch below and don't fit in this category ? (personal taste aside)

I’d personally place Welcome to Hell before Dying to Live (and kinda personally prefer Misled Youth, but I’d accept DTL being ranked highe)

Southernmost

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2023, 11:05:46 PM »
Wheres stay gold?

Stay Gold came out in 2010 I believe. Probably one of the best and last videos to come out on dvd while the industry was moving into the direct to internet and social media age.

changed1

« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2023, 11:20:00 PM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Also Ipath promo.

[close]

[close]

[close]

I’d personally place Welcome to Hell before Dying to Live (and kinda personally prefer Misled Youth, but I’d accept DTL being ranked highe)
Welcome to hell does not hold up. Only parts that are still sick are Elissa and Jamie Thomas. Even BAs part isn’t as good as I remember. Jump off a Building, Good and Evil, and Suffer the Joy are so much better

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2023, 11:24:41 PM »
Out of the list you provided, Baker 3 for sure.

AllisonChalmers

• Rep: -41
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2023, 12:33:52 AM »
Anyone who prefers Baker 3 over Baker 2G showed up late to the party.

Photosynthesis was the absolute apex of 90's skating and shouldn't have to be compared to Mindfield or even Mosaic.

I'll take Beware of The Flare, Video Radio or any of the classic TWS videos Ty Evans was making over Yeah Right any day. I look back at Yeah Right and there's literally nobody on that team that I can take seriously 20 years later. Daniel Castillo? Mike York? Crob? Looking back I feel like somebody pulled the wool over my eyes thinking that any of these guys were sick.

Sorry though is absolutely untouchable. Mark's part especially. What really sets it apart from the rest of this list is that it had an international team fucking up a wide range of spots and you didn't have to stretch your imagination to know you were watching the best skateboarding going on in the world at that moment. I think Sorry and Really Sorry both opened the doors to the greater picture of skateboarding on a world scale, where as videos from Baker, Workshop and Crail seem kinda self indulgent and delusional in retrospect.

Pappy Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2023, 12:46:25 AM »
Bag of Suck deserves to be on here for sure. Out of that list I probably watched Baker 3 the most as a teenager in the 2000s

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 764
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2023, 01:01:56 AM »
Photosynthesis or Sorry for me.  I personally like Photosynthesis more, because it has a more serious feel to it, but Sorry is more of a fun vibe to watch.  The Crail stuff (Yeah Right, etc.) never really impacted me much growing up.   

I also think Foundation Art Bars and New Deal 7 Year Glitch may be the most forgotten/underrated videos of the early 2000’s…

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 778
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2023, 01:11:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Also Ipath promo.

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Welcome to hell does not hold up. Only parts that are still sick are Elissa and Jamie Thomas. Even BAs part isn’t as good as I remember. Jump off a Building, Good and Evil, and Suffer the Joy are so much better

If you don’t want to go push around after Maldonado’s part you need to go get checked out.

I voted sorry.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this