Author Topic: How long do you hang onto shoes for?  (Read 1762 times)

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 360
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: How long do you hang onto shoes for?
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2023, 11:45:00 AM »
I buy lo tops for work (dog walking) and wear them until my feet hurt, then donate to Salvation Army.

I buy hi tops for skating and shred them one pair at a time until they’re not skateable—lose grip, holes, hurt upon impact, etc.—and then wear them for work for a few weeks before throwing them out.

I don’t really keep old shoes but there have been many colorways I’ve had a challenging time tossing out, but such is life. I do have a pair of blue half cabs with gum soles and orange/black labels that are pretty toasted but I simply cannot throw them out because they’re so sick. Glad I don’t do it but it really is hard to not hoard tho.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Paco Supreme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2023, 07:23:47 PM »
I’ve run the same model for a couple years, I usually get 3-4 months in them.

Usually the front foot sole gives out under the ball of my foot. I’m a pretty shuffly kind of foot set up person.

I’ve only just started the rotating pairs thing, we’ll see how much more life I can squeeze out of shoes now.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2023, 09:26:27 PM »
Now a days it takes me a while, I have 6-7 shoes that Im “skating in” in my trunk now. But even then I can’t retire a shoe until it’s got holes all through the upper on my flick/ollie area. Hardly ever blow thru the outsoles anymore

I only do one super glue after the first sesh along the stitching and stopped using shoe goo cus I need to go thru shoes faster at this point.

I’ve been into shoes since before I started skating so I can’t help but want to switch it up for each sesh, have no problems going from a clocker 2 one day, to a GT blazer the next, and then a pro model the following, only have gear madness with hardgoods fortunately  :P
Jealous.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Jackismydogsname

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 8
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2023, 05:55:34 PM »
Haglund's Deformity anyone? I actually wear out cup sole shoes like the NB 440 first in the inside heel area before major ollie holes.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1398
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2023, 06:25:40 PM »
Depends on the shoe. Half cabs are trash in short order. The collar gets loose, the toe sole wears fast as well

Been satisfied with blazer mids. Theyre roomy enough, the collar doesnt break, and the sole lasts. Had my last pair hold up for 2.5 months of skating  daily. Current pair have been mostly chillers and some skating since june and are going strong

Ive got busted ass feet from skating snd running injuries, so theres no more wearinf em til they’re 110% done. They are done when my feet and my hips start hurting.

Toss em to the skatepark bums at that point.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

disclosed

• Rep: 175
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2023, 01:54:44 AM »
Expand Quote
skate em till im through the soles.
if anything i hate new shoes. never feel nice to my feet. too stiff, heelslip. bad board feel. too grippy. so i do anything to postpone skating new shoes.

usually skate one pair till i can see the sole is getting thin. then i buy a new pair and start walking everywhere on those.
keep skating the old ones for a fiew more weeks. till its just impossible to continue like holes in the rubber and almost or already through the foam.
then i start skating the new shoes. hate them. complain about it for weeks.
untill theyre finally good. and the cycle continues.
[close]

I know exactly what you are talking about, I can relate to everything you mentioned. And I think the reason for all that is, the shoes we usually wear aren't the correct ones for our feet. In my case, it was all because of being lazy and rather wearing the shoes I knew instead of looking for other models that fit my feet better.

i had a shoe that worked for me. but they got discontinued.
my feet are definitly fucked so yeah, most shoes dont even fit to begin with. wide ass flat feet. super annoying to find something well fitting that isnt some horrendous puffy mickey mouse shoe.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 619
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2023, 03:40:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
if anything i hate new shoes. never feel nice to my feet. too stiff, heelslip. bad board feel. too grippy. so i do anything to postpone skating new shoes.

usually skate one pair till i can see the sole is getting thin. then i buy a new pair and start walking everywhere on those.
keep skating the old ones for a fiew more weeks. till its just impossible to continue like holes in the rubber and almost or already through the foam.
[close]

I know exactly what you are talking about, I can relate to everything you mentioned. And I think the reason for all that is, the shoes we usually wear aren't the correct ones for our feet. In my case, it was all because of being lazy and rather wearing the shoes I knew instead of looking for other models that fit my feet better.
[close]

my feet are definitly fucked so yeah, most shoes dont even fit to begin with. wide ass flat feet. super annoying to find something well fitting that isnt some horrendous puffy mickey mouse shoe.

Which shoe did you like, that got discontinued?

I think we all here can help you find a better fitting shoe with all our experiences. Just from my memory, the NB# 272 was mad wide at the toes.
IG: @flowterspace

disclosed

• Rep: 175
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2023, 04:51:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Which shoe did you like, that got discontinued?

I think we all here can help you find a better fitting shoe with all our experiences. Just from my memory, the NB# 272 was mad wide at the toes.

i allways had Etnies Callicuts. not the prettiest. but better than Faders.
i use Marana's now wich people also claim to be wide. but theyre tight as hell. also cause i need a wide middle part cause my flat feet. once they've stretched out theyre fine. but new they hurt the arch of my foot.

so basicly any shoe that has this kinda peanut shaped sole will suck. and thats a lot of em. usually ones that dont are puffy Etnies, Es, DVS and those look like shit.

devils acrobat

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 139
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2023, 05:20:52 AM »
Up until the last few years, I'd wear them until there were holes in the soles or they were beyond shoe-going. I love worn out shoes. But I'm old and have broken a toe or two so try to be sensible now and move on once the ball of the foot area is completely bald on the sole.

Exactly this. I have hurt my feet from worn out soles plenty of times before.

Tiltmode Army Reservist

• Rep: 22
  • RIP Ben Raemers
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2023, 07:52:32 AM »
For me it depends on the shoe. If it's something that doesn't work for me skateboarding, I'll try to repurpose it for some other use, or if the condition is still close enough to new, donate it to a secondhand store. I currently have a few slip-ons (vulc and cupsole) that are change of pace, non-work, non-skate shoes. I also have a few pairs of low cut cupsoles that I throw a second insole into and wear to work. This is how shoe collections get out of control.

If it is something I really like and know I won't be able to get again (the Ben Raemers Converse, the 2020 Hi How Are You? Project Slip-Ons, the Austin FC Gazelles), it goes in my closet and rarely sees the light of day.

If it's a skate shoe that works for me, I'll superglue the outer facing seams down, and also shoe goo some reinforcement patches to the higher abrasion areas, to keep those going for as long as I can. Usually when the outsole finally loses tread in that spot where the ball of my front foot is, I know it's time to take them to the used shoe donation bin at my local Nike Outlet. I like that bin because they take shoes of all makes and models and grind down the remains to make sport courts and running tracks for underserved communities: That's better than sending them to a landfill.

But yeah, I'm trying to get 4 months out of the shoes I skate in (I'm lucky if I get to skate twice a week for 1.5 hours each session), and then 6 months out of the skate shoes I wear to work. When my work shoes start tearing along the inner part of the heels (when chunks of that padding start breaking off), that's when I replace them.
RIP Ben Raemers

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2023, 07:56:34 AM »
Rowley once said 'Fucked up skate shoes look boss.' Fully agree. Wore the last pair until one of the soles had a hole.

mamba

• Rep: 147
  • Sucka free
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2023, 01:07:54 PM »
usually about a month to 2 months at most. As soon as the bottom starts slippin im done. These old feet and ankles have had too many injuries to push my luck. Gotta keep that grip fresh. I usually leave em at the bus stop or skate park.

FUBAR

• Rep: 236
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2023, 03:06:12 PM »
until the tread becomes slippery. then them shits go straight to lawn work
Just did this with a pair of KSLs.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 721
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2023, 10:37:51 PM »
Haglund's Deformity anyone? I actually wear out cup sole shoes like the NB 440 first in the inside heel area before major ollie holes.

Yo! I got this bullshit too.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

heinzketchup

• Rep: 54
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2023, 11:08:51 PM »
im pretty bad with shoes, a shoe lasts me probably a month but its not dead by then
i just get tired of looking at it and want something fresh feeling and looking.
i usually pass my shoes on to some homies
i get my shoes pretty cheap and it really makes me enjoy skating more having a fresh pair

MC3

• Rep: 129
  • "That's a Helluva price to pay for being stylish!"
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2023, 11:11:36 PM »
I usually wear my skate shoes as a casual shoe for 3-6 months before I skate them. Partially to break them in but mostly just cuz I wanna get some life out of them. Don’t think I’ve ever bought a pair of shoes and put them straight to the griptape.

Sometimes I’ll wear a shoe casually for too long and by the time I want to skate it, it’s a floppy mess that I can maybe skate for 2 weeks at most. This just happened to a pair of Vans I wore into the ground before I had a chance to skate.
(Cool Trick GIF)

Jacorpes

• Rep: 8
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2023, 12:11:26 AM »
I usually them until there’s a hole under my toe, but often I’ll stop skating a pair early because I can’t resist skating the next. I have a barely skated pair of Rowans from when Last Resorts came out, some unskated drop 9 LRABs from when they replaced the insole for Drop 10, now I have some half skated Blazer Mids because I couldn’t wait to skate my dunks.

Thebird

• Rep: 158
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2023, 05:19:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

KSLs are great for after their skate life has expired.  The tongue centering straps are pretty solid, so I pull the laces out and wear them as slip ons for outside work.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2023, 05:28:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

KSLs are great for after their skate life has expired.  The tongue centering straps are pretty solid, so I pull the laces out and wear them as slip ons for outside work.
Same goes for 808.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.