Author Topic: Why was mainstream rock in the mid to late 90s so cringe?  (Read 1141 times)

6ix9ine

Why was mainstream rock in the mid to late 90s so cringe?
« on: September 06, 2023, 08:22:59 AM »
Notable acts from this era:

SUBLIME
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS
PRIMUS
TOOL
LIMP BIZKIT

Except for the current time, I can't think of a worse period of mainstream music tbh

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Why was mainstream rock in the mid to late 90s so cringe?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2023, 09:50:57 AM »
Those aren't even the worst bands of that era. You also had Nickelback, Creed, Smashmouth, and a ton of mall punk and nu-metal bands like Good Charlotte and Puddle of Mudd.

That's the result of corporations cashing in on the cachet of formerly underground genres. Same thing is happening to skateboarding. Things get cheesy and watered down when they go mainstream.

Sedition

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2023, 01:22:43 PM »
Uhm…heard mainstream music in 2023?
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

McBrandt

• Rep: -13
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2023, 03:39:02 PM »
You think Limp Bizkit was a 'notable' act from that time period, as in good? Jesus bud I feel bad for you.

6ix9ine

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2023, 04:59:58 PM »
You think Limp Bizkit was a 'notable' act from that time period, as in good? Jesus bud I feel bad for you.

LOL, that's not what 'notable' means, bud.

Those aren't even the worst bands of that era. You also had Nickelback, Creed, Smashmouth, and a ton of mall punk and nu-metal bands like Good Charlotte and Puddle of Mudd.

That's the result of corporations cashing in on the cachet of formerly underground genres. Same thing is happening to skateboarding. Things get cheesy and watered down when they go mainstream.

God damn you're right

Dante Bichette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
  • 10th Prestige
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2023, 05:16:58 PM »

The fun police have arrived 👮‍♂️
Can someone explain in Fortnite terms?

HiltonPartinez

• Rep: 63
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2023, 05:22:40 PM »

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2023, 10:11:51 PM »
Because if it wasn’t bad, there wouldn’t have been the revival in the early 00s

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 212
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2023, 04:30:50 PM »
Well we got System of a Down out of it so I'd chalk it up as even (yes i know they aren't the most "mainstream" act of that era)

I'd say most mainstream rock of any era kinda blows. Aerosmith? Def Leppard? The Doors? I got some opinions

Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

6ix9ine

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2023, 09:10:25 PM »
Well we got System of a Down out of it so I'd chalk it up as even (yes i know they aren't the most "mainstream" act of that era)

I'd say most mainstream rock of any era kinda blows. Aerosmith? Def Leppard? The Doors? I got some opinions

Wow I almost forgot SOAD, definitely up there with the examples of total cringe that I listed in the OP.

It's almost like after this era of rock music people just totally gave up trying to produce it in any mainstream sense because I don't think there have been many successful mainstream rock bands since then.

80s - Talking Heads, New Order, Metallica, Sonic Youth, etc. Yes hair metal was kinda cringe but if you quit lying to yourself you have to just admit it was pretty fun at times

70s - The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mac, AC/DC with Bon Scott, etc... really the 70s was the peak of mainstream rock n roll imo

60s - Jefferson Airplane, Velvet Underground, Pink Floyd

Before that it's a grey area but I just strongly disagree that mainstream rock has always blowed.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2023, 11:10:47 PM »

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2023, 11:31:19 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Wow I almost forgot SOAD, definitely up there with the examples of total cringe that I listed in the OP.

It's almost like after this era of rock music people just totally gave up trying to produce it in any mainstream sense because I don't think there have been many successful mainstream rock bands since then.

80s - Talking Heads, New Order, Metallica, Sonic Youth, etc. Yes hair metal was kinda cringe but if you quit lying to yourself you have to just admit it was pretty fun at times

70s - The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mac, AC/DC with Bon Scott, etc... really the 70s was the peak of mainstream rock n roll imo

Before that it's a grey area but I just strongly disagree that mainstream rock has always blowed.

Rolling Stone has hotter takes than this comment

I wish i could get back the the few minutes of my life I spent listening to AC/DC, from any period ever.

I'll never put on 80s hair metal for myself, but it's decent party music - fuck Def Leppard 100% tho

Most of the 60s rock is more interesting than most of the 70s rock (not including bands active in both decades - Zepp, Floyd, etc.)

If you choose Fleetwood Mac or ACDC over any of the other bands listed, I'm going to have a hard time being nice.

6ix9ine

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2023, 12:59:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I wish i could get back the the few minutes of my life I spent listening to AC/DC, from any period ever.

I'll never put on 80s hair metal for myself, but it's decent party music - fuck Def Leppard 100% tho

Most of the 60s rock is more interesting than most of the 70s rock (not including bands active in both decades - Zepp, Floyd, etc.)

If you choose Fleetwood Mac or ACDC over any of the other bands listed, I'm going to have a hard time being nice.

Wow, what a shit take. Bon Scott era AC/DC is so fucking good. I bet you've only ever heard Brian Johnston era AC/DC.

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2023, 03:56:26 AM »
 Eh screw you man Primus sucks and there's nothing you can do about it.

disclosed

• Rep: 175
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2023, 05:03:35 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i'm just confused you put Rolling Stones as 70's and pink floyd as 60's while both where active in both decades. the decades they where the most relevant are reversed.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2023, 01:07:26 PM »
Yeah well, he also thinks that The Velvet Underground and Sonic Youth are mainstream, so there you go.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2023, 05:22:17 PM »
Yeah well, he also thinks that The Velvet Underground and Sonic Youth are mainstream, so there you go.

I definitely know what you mean - but they're both absolutely massive and very popular bands that people who don't listen to anything more 'underground' or 'alternative' listen to. Plenty of people would have Velvet Underground and Sonic Youth in playlists that are essentially 'mainstream rock'.

edit: i guess they have come to be popular music, but at their respective times, were less so and the topic is regarding mainstream music of the time.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 06:06:54 PM by bob george »
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

Rasmus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2023, 09:08:33 AM »
Ha I like this thread - my girlfriend and I just watched 10 things I hate about you (I know!) The other night, and at one point we were giggling about how much rock-voice-accompanied-by-acoustic-guitar there was in that era.

In hindsight Brits did the rocking a lot better in those years (and they didn't look as ridiculous)

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2023, 09:37:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Wow, what a shit take. Bon Scott era AC/DC is so fucking good. I bet you've only ever heard Brian Johnston era AC/DC.

You're not gonna change my mind

AC/DC is for your dad's drunk friends who like eating drywall and cat calling women

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2023, 04:56:16 PM »
Accadacca is a vibe if you’re from Australia

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

animalflesh

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2023, 05:36:33 PM »
Including primus in that list is actually mind blowing

It’s like you just picked random band names from the 90s off rolling stone and made a list

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2023, 11:32:43 AM »
Accadacca is a vibe if you’re from Australia

"It's a long way to the top if you're from Aus-trail-iaaaaa"

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 968
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2023, 11:27:32 AM »
Over saturated market.

It's why crust punk fast core and grind got so good.

Death metal and it's bastard siblings are going through it now

Modern metal in general is horrendous. Computers have done it in
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2023, 11:59:00 AM »
Over saturated market.

It's why crust punk fast core and grind got so good.

Death metal and it's bastard siblings are going through it now

Modern metal in general is horrendous. Computers have done it in

Truth

I'd consider myself a metal kinda guy, but the zeitgeist these days takes way too much from 2010's metalcore/crabcore type shit. Squeaky clean choruses are pretty fast turn off.

Noise and the hardcore revival (and its off shoots) are pretty rad right now

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2023, 04:11:22 PM »
modern metal is by far the least interesting music there is. it has this feeling of like zero dynamics. it's so flat and boring and aesthetically void of anything interesting at all. i really don't understand what makes people choose to like it over other heavy, or extreme or edgy or whatever-shit-word-you-want-to-use-to-describe-it music.

i feel like some people just feel the need to like things that are current/new. what other reason could you have to like things that there are already better versions of?
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2023, 07:36:22 AM »
Notable acts from this era:

SUBLIME
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS
PRIMUS
TOOL
LIMP BIZKIT

Except for the current time, I can't think of a worse period of mainstream music tbh

mid to late nineties was pretty bad for bands that got mainstream play but primus and tool peaked early 90s as far as mainstream airplay is concerned. mid to late nineties to me was more modern rock (puddle of muddle and all that crap) and brit pop (oasis, blur, etc.) and then on the alt rock front it was more incubus, alanis morissette, cake, system of a down, rap metal and all that stuff.

on the flip side radiohead, bjork,  portishead, pavement, aphex twins, nin (downward spiral was 94), slowdive, tricky, massive attack, dj shadow, etc.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2023, 08:22:55 AM by Sleazy »

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2023, 09:02:29 AM »
Mainstream music has been largely terrible since the mid-to-late 1970s. Long gone are the days when Maggot Brain, Tapestry, Hunkey Dorey and Led Zeppelin IV all come out in a six month period.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

HeavyAndExpensive

• Rep: 115
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2023, 06:11:11 AM »

It’s like you just picked random band names from the 90s off rolling stone and made a list

Primus sucks. Les Claypool is the corniest dude ever. Shut the fuck up, stop trying to be quirky, and stop inserting shitty bass riffs into every song. But then again, Les Claypool fans in 2023 are actively searching for ridiculous bass riffs

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2023, 06:09:09 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Primus sucks. Les Claypool is the corniest dude ever. Shut the fuck up, stop trying to be quirky, and stop inserting shitty bass riffs into every song. But then again, Les Claypool fans in 2023 are actively searching for ridiculous bass riffs

Says the guy that still listens to hardcore.

HeavyAndExpensive

• Rep: 115
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2023, 05:44:16 PM »
Stop stalking me dude, absolute weirdo behavior