Author Topic: LEO signature Nike sb  (Read 4922 times)

GS77

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 51
Re: LEO signature Nike sb
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2023, 08:37:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Their best part yet. They should be on there. Hell, put Elissa also…
[close]

Sorry but this is a shitty take, you're stereotyping. Can't tell if you're virtue signaling by saying something you think might be appropriate/supportive to this conversation about a trans skater, or if you're dim. Just because Leo is trans, doesn't mean they belong on a gay team. And then you drag Elissa Steamer into it for the same reason? Figure it out bra, Leo started is a co-founder of Glue, why the hell would they go to There? You're not helping

You reply is really unpleasant. I’d explain my thought process but not to you.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 309
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2023, 08:46:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Sorry but this is a shitty take, you're stereotyping. Can't tell if you're virtue signaling by saying something you think might be appropriate/supportive to this conversation about a trans skater, or if you're dim. Just because Leo is trans, doesn't mean they belong on a gay team. And then you drag Elissa Steamer into it for the same reason? Figure it out bra, Leo started is a co-founder of Glue, why the hell would they go to There? You're not helping
[close]

There seems more west coast based and Glue seems more NY based with Leo’s friends.   

I think Elissa should get a guest board like BA did, but I think she’s good being in the mix at Baker as she’s one of the OGs of that crew

GS77

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2023, 08:52:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

There seems more west coast based and Glue seems more NY based with Leo’s friends.   

I think Elissa should get a guest board like BA did, but I think she’s good being in the mix at Baker as she’s one of the OGs of that crew

That’s funny. I just watched a Shake Junt edit and I thought Elissa was on them not Baker.

Seeing Gerwer I thought was foreshadowing a move to DLX. If I were Leo why would I want to run a board brand if I could ride for the board brand?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2023, 09:43:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

That’s funny. I just watched a Shake Junt edit and I thought Elissa was on them not Baker.

Seeing Gerwer I thought was foreshadowing a move to DLX. If I were Leo why would I want to run a board brand if I could ride for the board brand?

Ohhh that’s right theyre distributed by DLX.   

I really don’t know what Elissa does in an official capacity.   She’s seems to be present a lot in Nike edits so I could see with some role there like she has with Baker (she said Reynolds sends her to check out how chill potential riders are as humans)

scab

• Rep: 154
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2023, 02:31:23 AM »
Great part. Leo's skating always makes me want to drop everything and grab my board.

Also back to back Elissa and BA clips <3

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 890
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2023, 03:04:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Shake Junt is effectively just the baker grip/accessory line. Same dudes, distributed by bakerboys from the same place.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1876
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2023, 05:12:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah it's not like Elissa is in this video or anything. So random!

Wienerboy

• Rep: -72
  • Hey you're really cool and definitely not a kook
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2023, 07:16:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Lumping all queer skaters together and saying they should be on the same team is wack, I don't care what you say. Again, Leo runs Glue, so he wouldn't be on There. Glue is a punk company, while There is more artistically driven. If anything, I could see Elissa maybe on Glue because of how Punk she has been historically. But she is her own person, so she skates with who she wants. Sometimes that's a bunch of straight dudes on Baker, and sometimes it's with queer riders and sometimes it's all together. Nobody says, "Hey this Andrew Allen seems pretty straight, let's put him on the straightest company we can think of", and that's essentially what GS77 was saying.

If you associate a trans skater with the only queer company you know just because of the word "queer" then, expand your viewpoint.
If my rep is ever an even number, please kindly throw me either a kook or a gnar in order to return me to my odd number equilibrium.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1876
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2023, 08:50:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Lumping all queer skaters together and saying they should be on the same team is wack, I don't care what you say. Again, Leo runs Glue, so he wouldn't be on There. Glue is a punk company, while There is more artistically driven. If anything, I could see Elissa maybe on Glue because of how Punk she has been historically. But she is her own person, so she skates with who she wants. Sometimes that's a bunch of straight dudes on Baker, and sometimes it's with queer riders and sometimes it's all together. Nobody says, "Hey this Andrew Allen seems pretty straight, let's put him on the straightest company we can think of", and that's essentially what GS77 was saying.

If you associate a trans skater with the only queer company you know just because of the word "queer" then, expand your viewpoint.

yo honestly, my bad. I wasn't fully caffeinated when I read this exchange and interpreted it way different. I was trying to give the first poster the benefit of the doubt that the Elissa association wasn't out of the blue (and I forgot she was still on Baker cuz I haven't seen a board in awhile). I think that first poster was coming from a place of enthusiasm, but I totally feel ya on lumping together queer skaters. Happy to stand corrected on this one.

Wienerboy

« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2023, 08:58:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

yo honestly, my bad. I wasn't fully caffeinated when I read this exchange and interpreted it way different. I was trying to give the first poster the benefit of the doubt that the Elissa association wasn't out of the blue (and I forgot she was still on Baker cuz I haven't seen a board in awhile). I think that first poster was coming from a place of enthusiasm, but I totally feel ya on lumping together queer skaters. Happy to stand corrected on this one.

Thanks for the clarification. I also understood after I replied to them that the first poster was trying to be kind, so I felt a little bad afterwards. I just wanted to distinguish between being supportive and subconsciously (or consciously) stereotyping, which I don't think helps any of us move forward and be inclusive... even if they have the best intentions.
If my rep is ever an even number, please kindly throw me either a kook or a gnar in order to return me to my odd number equilibrium.

hotstudios_on_youtube

• Rep: -63
  • ???
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2023, 09:10:39 AM »
reminds me of the Omar Salazar shoe

GS77

« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2023, 09:29:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Thanks for the clarification. I also understood after I replied to them that the first poster was trying to be kind, so I felt a little bad afterwards. I just wanted to distinguish between being supportive and subconsciously (or consciously) stereotyping, which I don't think helps any of us move forward and be inclusive... even if they have the best intentions.

Isn’t Glue an LGBTQ+ brand? Why is it out of line to say they should join up with DLXs inclusive brand?

heinzketchup

• Rep: 16
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2023, 04:47:14 AM »
Expand Quote
people hate to see queer people winning. god forbid any kind of representation of queer folks skateboarding. that shoe looks killer
[close]

I don’t think anyone even really cares about that. People are just sick of lesser-talented skaters getting shine because they’re more “marketable” because they’re gay or trans or a girl or whatever. Let the skating do the talking Jesus fuck

when you think like this we can stop putting music into video parts, everybody can wear a uniform and all that matters is tricks.
not everything is for everybody, you dont have to like leos skating but some people out there do and nike decided that enough of people do to give him a shoe.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2023, 04:54:28 AM »
Expand Quote
people hate to see queer people winning. god forbid any kind of representation of queer folks skateboarding. that shoe looks killer
[close]

I don’t think anyone even really cares about that. People are just sick of lesser-talented skaters getting shine because they’re more “marketable” because they’re gay or trans or a girl or whatever. Let the skating do the talking Jesus fuck

The standard set by cis-Hetero males should not be the same standard we judge everyone else by particularly those who didn’t have a place in the industry before five years ago.   Leo rips and skates consistently.   This is hardly a similar situation to another skater.   

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2023, 05:01:39 AM »
Loved the backside 180 nosegrind to switch manual. Part was awesome. Shoe looks great, go Leo!

That stood out to me too, as well as the nollie nose to manual shove out. So sick!
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

wax poetic

• Rep: 9
  • fuck it, I'll stir the pot
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2023, 08:55:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The standard set by cis-Hetero males should not be the same standard we judge everyone else by particularly those who didn’t have a place in the industry before five years ago.   Leo rips and skates consistently.   This is hardly a similar situation to another skater.   

IF THERE ARE STILL ANY TRANS SKATERS ON THE BOARD PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CHIME IN ON THIS - I'd love to know how you feel and not how people with a hero complex tell us we need to feel.  (not looking at you Atiba, every post I've seen you make has been made with grace)

By this logic, what standard should be used to judge a Leo part against?  If Leo identifies as a man, do you not think he'd want to be judged as such?  Anything else would be viewed as lesser than, no?  Should there be different standards for trans skaters, or for each gender?  Not being facetious, seriously asking as this part (there were a few great tricks in there) was subpar for current pro level men or women.  You aren't following enough women skaters if you aren't aware of that.  For some reason this part is off limits unless you have something nice to say because Lacey transitioned to Leo?  So a part isn't allowed to be criticized in that situation or it's hateful?  Maybe judging parts is always hateful but you're ok with it in other cases?  You are only allowed to judge parts of people who are the same sex/gender as you?  How is it any more hateful to make critical comments on this part than comments in any other post (anyone looked at a Pine thread) that are considered totally acceptable?  The math just doesn't add up.  You skate and post footage, the shit gets judged.  That's how it's always been.  If you say you can't judge trans skaters against men or women because those aren't fair comparisons, are you saying trans skaters aren't capable of pro-level parts or that the bar is lower for the skills required of a trans skater to go pro?  That is how it's coming across, and if I were trans I'm not sure how I'd feel about knowing that was how I was viewed.  But that is basically what most of you are saying.

Imo, Leo would have been better served taking the few exceptional standout clips and throwing them in that other part that came out with the shoe as the enders and then there would have been this mystique surrounding their skating similar to getting a few PJ clips here and there and it being enough to keep the legend alive.  And where is the footage of the front board up the guard rail, the one thing I was actually hyped to see?  If it wasn't a make, and it was used, are we allowed to criticize that the way we have other pros for using stills that weren't makes in the past, or if you identify a certain way do you get a pass on that?

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 115
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2023, 08:56:05 AM »
Nike Enigma

Fartknocker415

« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2023, 11:49:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

IF THERE ARE STILL ANY TRANS SKATERS ON THE BOARD PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CHIME IN ON THIS - I'd love to know how you feel and not how people with a hero complex tell us we need to feel.  (not looking at you Atiba, every post I've seen you make has been made with grace)

By this logic, what standard should be used to judge a Leo part against?  If Leo identifies as a man, do you not think he'd want to be judged as such?  Anything else would be viewed as lesser than, no?  Should there be different standards for trans skaters, or for each gender?  Not being facetious, seriously asking as this part (there were a few great tricks in there) was subpar for current pro level men or women.  You aren't following enough women skaters if you aren't aware of that.  For some reason this part is off limits unless you have something nice to say because Lacey transitioned to Leo?  So a part isn't allowed to be criticized in that situation or it's hateful?  Maybe judging parts is always hateful but you're ok with it in other cases?  You are only allowed to judge parts of people who are the same sex/gender as you?  How is it any more hateful to make critical comments on this part than comments in any other post (anyone looked at a Pine thread) that are considered totally acceptable?  The math just doesn't add up.  You skate and post footage, the shit gets judged.  That's how it's always been.  If you say you can't judge trans skaters against men or women because those aren't fair comparisons, are you saying trans skaters aren't capable of pro-level parts or that the bar is lower for the skills required of a trans skater to go pro?  That is how it's coming across, and if I were trans I'm not sure how I'd feel about knowing that was how I was viewed.  But that is basically what most of you are saying.

Imo, Leo would have been better served taking the few exceptional standout clips and throwing them in that other part that came out with the shoe as the enders and then there would have been this mystique surrounding their skating similar to getting a few PJ clips here and there and it being enough to keep the legend alive.  And where is the footage of the front board up the guard rail, the one thing I was actually hyped to see?  If it wasn't a make, and it was used, are we allowed to criticize that the way we have other pros for using stills that weren't makes in the past, or if you identify a certain way do you get a pass on that?

I think when people are hating on the part just because he is trans, it makes it a little different than just judging someone’s funky style or their wack trick selection. It would be akin to hating on someone’s part because of their skin color imo.

We are in 2023, Bob burnquist did a bs 360 kickflip no grab on a mega ramp like 15 years ago. Parts are more about trick/spot selection, camera work, editing and shit  I think we are past comparing parts like that unless someone’s going for SOTY I guess. Then you compare the parts and determine who is going the most buck.

who da thunk it

« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2023, 11:59:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

It's simple: handle lgbtq+ skaters with kid's gloves and give them nothing but praise until the people who know better tell you it's ok to criticize them

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2023, 12:39:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

It's simple: handle lgbtq+ skaters with kid's gloves and give them nothing but praise until the people who know better tell you it's ok to criticize them

I think the issue is more of the intent behind the criticism.    If I don’t like a part from a female skater, I don’t feel the need to crow that it proves every success that female skaters have is a participation trophy awarded by someone’s marketing department.   

Some of you suspiciously new posters were never going to be stoked on a part from a trans skater unless they put out a part comparable with Yuto or some other unnecessarily high bar to clear.

Leo’s not drinking someone else’s milkshake by getting a shoe and a corporation doing a chill thing for a trans person is shockingly a risky move in 2023, but here we are

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -394
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2023, 01:25:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The standard set by cis males should not be the same standard we judge everyone else by particularly those who didn’t have a place in the industry before five years ago. Leo rips and skates consistently.   This is hardly a similar situation to another skater.   
I agree strongly with this. I don’t think there’s anything physiologically (I’m not claiming to have much scientific knowledge so take that as you will) preventing trans or female skaters from eventually being at the same level (shit, look at rayssa leal) but their acceptance/presence on the scene is still relatively new. Personally stoked to see the progression from those folks already. I bet in 5-10 more years the gap between the average male pro and female/trans pros will have narrowed significantly.

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

Wienerboy

« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2023, 02:35:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Isn’t Glue an LGBTQ+ brand? Why is it out of line to say they should join up with DLXs inclusive brand?

Elissa and Leo have nothing to do with There. Leo has his own board company and Elissa is and has been Baker. So I just don't understand why you'd suggest for them to go jump ship to There? To me, it sounds like you think because they're both gay then they should stop doing what they're doing and go skate for a company that you know of, that is gay. I mean I'm exaggerating a bit, but it's just a weird line of thinking. It sounds like you're lumping gay skaters together and I don't think it works, bro. Even if you didn't mean it.

tadej Pog

• Rep: -515
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2023, 02:39:24 PM »
People here judge all the parts everyday....thats because slap stil alive. But only Leo cant be criticized?
Miss you Rusty Berings

GS77

« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2023, 02:54:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Elissa and Leo have nothing to do with There. Leo has his own board company and Elissa is and has been Baker. So I just don't understand why you'd suggest for them to go jump ship to There? To me, it sounds like you think because they're both gay then they should stop doing what they're doing and go skate for a company that you know of, that is gay. I mean I'm exaggerating a bit, but it's just a weird line of thinking. It sounds like you're lumping gay skaters together and I don't think it works, bro. Even if you didn't mean it.

So, is Glue an LGBTQ+ brand?

They seem to think they are: https://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/on-glue-article/

You just want to be argumentative for argumentative sake.

wax poetic

• Rep: 9
  • fuck it, I'll stir the pot
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2023, 03:00:53 PM »

I think the issue is more of the intent behind the criticism.    If I don’t like a part from a female skater, I don’t feel the need to crow that it proves every success that female skaters have is a participation trophy awarded by someone’s marketing department.   

Some of you suspiciously new posters were never going to be stoked on a part from a trans skater unless they put out a part comparable with Yuto or some other unnecessarily high bar to clear.

Leo’s not drinking someone else’s milkshake by getting a shoe and a corporation doing a chill thing for a trans person is shockingly a risky move in 2023, but here we are

Haha, I'm an old head with a new account.  Last one had 1000's of comments and like 700 rep if I remember correctly.  I only came back for a specific reason and then stayed on again just to keep up with what is going on more easily.  And I honestly compared this part to any current top pro, male or female.  I was stoked on a few tricks, but the part is mediocre by any stretch of the imagination for a sponsored skater.

Wienerboy

« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2023, 03:27:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

So, is Glue an LGBTQ+ brand?

They seem to think they are: https://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/on-glue-article/

You just want to be argumentative for argumentative sake.

You're kinda right but mostly wrong, but yeah, dude... of course Glue is LGBTQ+. And it exists on its own, outside of There or Elissa or anything else you might label as gay. Saying something to the effect of "Leo should be on Glue, hell even get Elissa, another gay skater I know, on the team." isn't conveying the acceptance and progressive attitude that you're wanting. It's like being excited for your friend's graduation and saying "oh my friend is black, he should go to a Historically Black College."

I get you commented to support Leo with good intentions pal, but if you don't understand how what you said isn't kosher, then I can't help you.

Fartknocker415

« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2023, 04:17:37 PM »
People here judge all the parts everyday....thats because slap stil alive. But only Leo cant be criticized?

I'm looking through recent threads for skaters parts... People are pretty chill... Its fairly clear why people are more keen to criticize and hate on Leo's part and we all know it doesn't have to do with the skating...

Baglady

• Rep: -152
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2023, 06:26:47 PM »
Wienerboy and fartknocker getting critical.

lurker_and_poster

• Rep: 20
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2023, 01:08:43 AM »
Nike Enigma

My first thought - haha!
But in a good way - I loved my enigmas back then.
The Leo shoe is not totally my cup of tea - but I like
the color way and I woud rock them. Which I wouldn’t say about the most Nike drops.

Was surprised by the part - like it much more then expected. Congratulation Leo.

And all this people hating or discussing sexuality or that  other people may „deserve“ more a pro shoe.
Get over it.
Keep your sex yourself and enjoy it as much as possible.

Skateboarding always was about character, style and attitude. Not about being „the best“ being the best is boring. You can watch the Olympics if your into this.

GBLange

• Rep: 244
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2023, 02:37:25 AM »
His shoe still not listed on my country nike website..
« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 06:09:17 AM by ihatejulio »