Author Topic: Portland, Seattle, Vancouver  (Read 2109 times)

L33Tg33k

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 718
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
Portland, Seattle, Vancouver
« on: September 18, 2023, 05:17:56 PM »
Doing Pacific Northwest thing in October. Hit me with suggestions of shit to do, eat, and skate. Meet up with me if you’re not a coward, will ya.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

Luddite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
Re: Portland, Seattle, Vancouver
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2023, 05:22:25 PM »
Check out the courts at all 3 cities.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 658
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2023, 06:26:17 PM »
Portland:
Twisted Croissant.
I've heard negative things about Rimsky-Korsakoffee House, but it is still my fav place for coffee/sweets after 11PM.
Friendship Kitchen is hipster AF, but the beef dishes are pretty good.
The kavas is awesome from Pelmeni Pelmeni is awesome.
I've heard Kachka is good, but haven't been yet.
BetterHalf was good the first time I went there, I'm not sure how I feel about it now.
On the other side of the bridge in Vancouver, WA. The RiverMaiden is decent. Not great, but decent.

If you know someone who has access to the Adidas Skatepark it is so much fun.
Battleground skatepark is fun, albeit a bit dated.

Seattle
The Station.
Paseo is good.
Lupo is good.
Carmello's Tacos is good (the gas station location is better than the free standing location).

The downtown skatepark is super fun.
The Everette Park is fun.
The Sedro Woolley Park is awesome as well.
The Arlington park is terrible unless you are a gnarly bowl dude.

Vancouver:
Downlow Chicken next to the Courts.
Lucky Doughnuts on Main (all the other locations are meh at best).
Healthy Noodle House.
Maruchati Ramen in the West End.
Greenhorn Cafe be good if you go at the right time.
Federal Store is good too.

The Plaza is fun.
The Courts can be fun if 4 douchey dudes aren't there skating against traffic thinking they are the only people on the planet that matter.
And the RDS park in North Van is good, but it rather small.

Note: There is a military skatepark off the 5. It is something like JMLA or something, don't bother trying to go there. It is military only.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2023, 08:53:14 PM »
Portland:
Twisted Croissant.
I've heard negative things about Rimsky-Korsakoffee House, but it is still my fav place for coffee/sweets after 11PM.
Friendship Kitchen is hipster AF, but the beef dishes are pretty good.
The kavas is awesome from Pelmeni Pelmeni is awesome.
I've heard Kachka is good, but haven't been yet.
BetterHalf was good the first time I went there, I'm not sure how I feel about it now.
On the other side of the bridge in Vancouver, WA. The RiverMaiden is decent. Not great, but decent.

If you know someone who has access to the Adidas Skatepark it is so much fun.
Battleground skatepark is fun, albeit a bit dated.

Seattle
The Station.
Paseo is good.
Lupo is good.
Carmello's Tacos is good (the gas station location is better than the free standing location).

The downtown skatepark is super fun.
The Everette Park is fun.
The Sedro Woolley Park is awesome as well.
The Arlington park is terrible unless you are a gnarly bowl dude.

Vancouver:
Downlow Chicken next to the Courts.
Lucky Doughnuts on Main (all the other locations are meh at best).
Healthy Noodle House.
Maruchati Ramen in the West End.
Greenhorn Cafe be good if you go at the right time.
Federal Store is good too.

The Plaza is fun.
The Courts can be fun if 4 douchey dudes aren't there skating against traffic thinking they are the only people on the planet that matter.
And the RDS park in North Van is good, but it rather small.

Note: There is a military skatepark off the 5. It is something like JMLA or something, don't bother trying to go there. It is military only.
Wow, this is what I’m talking about right here. Thanks

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2023, 10:31:01 PM »
I’m in Seattle and not a coward. Pm me

Otherwise:

Courts in cal anderson are really sick rn. I really like judkins too. Jackblock park in west Seattle is awesome- perfect bank/curb spot with several curbs of varying heights and textures. Go there if nowhere else. Lake city skate park is one of my favorites.

Food: tacos chukis. Gonna have to disagree with thelurper on carmelos, it’s tanked recently. The last 2 times the burritos were really bad, like undercooked rice and terrible layering. There’s some dope spots in the central district by judkins park of 23rd street.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 10:37:42 PM by Candied cigarettes »

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2023, 11:28:42 PM »
Bummer about Carmelos.

Did you go to the gas station one? The one near the uni is always meh, but that'll suck if the gas station one has gone downhill. Where is a better place to get a taco?

"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2023, 10:28:11 AM »
Bummer about Carmelos.

Did you go to the gas station one? The one near the uni is always meh, but that'll suck if the gas station one has gone downhill. Where is a better place to get a taco?

Yeah, i used to live right by the convenience store location you’re referring to and went there all the time before it started sucking. Tacos chukis is hands down the better taco

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2023, 12:43:35 PM »
I’m from San Diego and the de facto ethnic cuisine here is Mexican so I’m not really trying to get it up North. I am however interested in whatever the ethnic food these cities are known for. But realistically I’ll never say no to a taco.

SupremePizza

• Rep: 44
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2023, 02:01:55 PM »
I lived in Seattle for 4 years and moved an hour south last year. Pm me if you'd like.

My favorite spots to skate were the Cal Anderson courts and Jefferson Park. The Seattle Center skate plaza looks sick, still need to skate it myself. There's also random stuff to be found around Westlake and the whole downtown area.

As far as eats I suggest Le's deli for Banh Mi and Boba, Georgetown liquor, Dochi, Salt & Straw, and if you like coffee definitely check out Starbucks Roasters Reserve in Capitol Hill

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2023, 11:01:29 PM »
I’ll come up with some more Vancouver spots but other parks are: Ambleside and UBC……both are a bit of a mission if you don’t have a car….

bombsaway86

• Rep: 162
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2023, 11:12:21 PM »
Doing Pacific Northwest thing in October. Hit me with suggestions of shit to do, eat, and skate. Meet up with me if you’re not a coward, will ya.

I’m in the Seattle area. What do you like to skate?
If you skate transition, Marginal Way is a must stop.
South Park (River City skatepark) is worth checking out too, it’s pretty unique and fun.
The new Seattle Center park is really fun.
DM me if you’re into transition and I can give you a more detailed list of all the best parks you’ll pass in Oregon and Washington. If you have time, drive the Oregon Coast and hit all the gnarly parks.

Food:
Boon Boona Coffee (Capital Hill)
Anchored Ship Coffee (Ballard)
Seattle Biscuit Company (Fremont/Ballard)
Zaina (gyros spot in Lake City)
Sultan (gyros in University District)
Chilis South Indian (University District)
Coba (Vietnamese near space needle)
Kwanjai (Thai in Fremont)
Pestle Rock (Thai in Ballard)
Un Bien (Ballard, get the Caribbean Roast)
Falafel Salam (West Seattle)
Big Mario’s (good cheap pizza, multiple locations)
Mexican and BBQ here are trash

Other Stuff:
Tons of hiking
Cool parks (Gas Works, Kerry, Discovery, Carkeek)
Argosy harbor cruise is actually pretty cool
Jupiter bar
Meet a nice girl on Aurora Ave
« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 08:36:29 AM by bombsaway86 »

Sangriawaterfall

• Rep: 32
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2023, 08:31:34 AM »
Enjoyed every late night gyro I ate from various food trucks in Portland. Not sure if they still have that long line up. The unicorn in Capitol Hill is a cool bar with tons of pinball machines. If you need a pallet cleanser from the cities, and have the time, taking a ferry to the islands from Seattle is very pleasant. Bremerton WA is sick, Location skateshop is one of my favorite shops in the world.

treeebark

• Rep: 11
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2023, 10:22:01 AM »
Check out the courts at all 3 cities.
this! to clarify — PSU Courts on SW Broadway in Portland, Cal Anderson courts in Seattle, The Courts in East Vancouver BC off McLean and Venables.

also in Portland is Chrome HQ in NW (off 15th and Savier), fun spot with some good boxes, long flatbar, curb, good QP. another one is DaVinci Middle School — same deal, some boxes and a little qp if it's still there.

to add to the food thing for Portland — Burrito Azteca is a classic, the special is a burrito, chips & salsa, shot of decent tequila, and craft tap beer for like $16 (last i checked). but Mole Mole is my go to spot, amazing and cheap ($8 mole burrito).  stop by Jet Black coffee in NE off Emerson if you're in that neighborhood — they have a concrete mini ramp and mini park in their courtyard.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2023, 03:18:59 PM »
Thanks everyone. Gnars all around!
Also I suck at skateboarding now so keep that in mind, but I’ll try to roll around anywhere

Coldpizza

• Rep: 166
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2023, 07:23:41 PM »
Also I suck at skateboarding now so keep that in mind, but I’ll try to roll around anywhere

What are you looking to skate in Portland? Park? Street?
And what other interests so it’s not just tossing out randoms.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

bombsaway86

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2023, 08:25:58 AM »

For Seattle, you’ll definitely enjoy Seattle Center and Lake City skatepark. I suck at street skating but always have a good time at both of these parks because everything is small and fun.

The Green Lake Park & Ride lot has a bunch of well maintained curbs too if you’re into curbs.

jack burton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2023, 05:26:13 PM »
When you’re in Seattle if you end up at the green lake park and ride curbs there’s a really good sandwich spot near by. It’s called layers and if it’s a nice day you can eat your sandwich across the street at the lake. I also really like bongos cafe which is pretty close by as well. It’s a Caribbean spot and they got nice outdoor seating. If youre downtown check out post alley pizza, which will have some of the best pizza/hoagies in the city. If you make it to river city skatepark there’s a bar real close called Loretta’s with my favorite burger in the city. I’m way better at eating than I am skating.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2023, 03:12:17 PM »
I tried Chukis, I was impressed. I'm not ready to write-off Carmelo's but I'll def go back to Chukis.

Also, I forgot to mention The Bleu Door in Vancouver, WA is pretty amazing. Def worth the stop for breakfast or lunch.

And, avoid Rhythm Cafe in Olympia. It looks decent, but the positive Google reviews make no sense. It is not worth the stop. Not at all. I wanted to like this place, but it sucks.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1393
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2023, 06:44:55 PM »
Had some really good coffee and a breakfast sandwich at Jim & patty’s in Beaverton this past Friday morning as I was headed to pick up my dog from the animal ER in Portland after she was fentanyl poisoned in our hotel room the night before.

Anything would have been good that morning but Jim&Patty’s was top shelf and affordable enough. Really, really enjoyed the spot and coffee
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Chris

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 12
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2023, 11:22:50 AM »
Vancouver Skate / Things to do :

Skate:
 Britannia Courts - gets busy pretty quickly but get there early-ish and you’ll be alright
  UBC Skatepark - warm up there and then just roll around the campus afterwards as there are spots everywhere.
 Plaza - have to check it out if you’re in Vancouver
 Art Gallery Underground Parking Lot - if you get rained out it has some good flat, manny pads and waxed up curbs. Sometimes you get kicked out fast sometimes you get a decent amount of time
 Mahon skatepark North Van - same as the courts it gets busy quickly but get there at a good time and it’s great. Best ledges
 Quilchena skatepark - small but super fun park
 Brewers park - coping ledges and tennis court ground
 Street Spots - http://instagram.com/yvrspotbook?igshid=NzZhOTFlYzFmZQ==

Skate shops:
 Antisocial - best skate shop in the city on Main and 8th-ish
 Menu - in Gastown
 The Boardroom - on west 4th. More of a “board sports” shop. They do have a location two doors down that’s strictly sale items as well.

Food:
- As someone mentioned above Downlow Chicken on commercial
 Vegan - there’s a lot of good options for sit down and take out. (Chickpea Restaurant, Meet, Virtuous Pie, The Naam, Mila)
 Sushi - great sushi everywhere just look for reviews and whether or not you want to do sit in or take out
 Ramen - also good stuff all around but seems to be a lot of good spots in the west end
 Ice Cream - Earnest and Rain or Shine(multiple locations)
 Coffee shops / Cafe - Greenhorn, Federal Store, Matchstick(multiple locations), Revolver, Nemesis
 Birds and the Beets / Juice bar - in Railtown
 Italian food - Fiorinis Italian street food -little expensive but real good (I think they got a Michelin recommendation), Pepinos, Ask For Luigi
 Tacofino - multiple locations
 Hundy/Their There on West 4th

Things to do / Nightlife: (I’m old and don’t go out that much but these are spots that come e to mind)

The American - Burger spot by day then bar at night with pinball and some other games, I think?   
 The Boxcar - basically an alleyway turned into a cocktail bar
 The Brickhouse - strange spot / owner but fun dive bar for a more chill vibe
 12 Kings - pool tables, dive bar, grimey but in a good way
- Look into concerts or events happening
 Greta - Arcade Bar on Hastings
 VIFF - happening now and into October if you can get tickets
 Red Accordian - good for brunch and/or drinks
 Keefer Bar - sit down cocktail bar
 Breweries (tons of them all around ) - 33 acres, Parallel 49, Strathcona Beer, plenty more…
 Pool - Sneaky Pete’s, Soho, Hastings Billiards
 The Lido  - cool little bar on East Broadway
 Hiking - Cypress or Seymour in North Van
 Seawall / Stanley Park - rent a bike and rip around (very touristy but people do it for a reason)
Aquatic Centre - (if you’re old and body hurts from skating) has indoor swimming, hot tub and sauna (showers between the two for cold therapy)

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2023, 12:52:01 PM »
^^ I loved revolver, until I notice that they have a problem with mice. I saw on scurrying around one evening. If I can see them during business hours, I can only imagine what it is like after things shut down.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2023, 05:39:51 PM »
Chris pretty much nailed it.....(gnar'd)

Suburb stuff: Ambleside: West Vancouver, nice park on the beach not far from downtown.  Cloverdale: is the best park, but 45 min outside the city, the only good indoor is west 49th in tswassen outlet mall, it's $15.00 and only open Fri/Sat/Sunday, it can often have tons of scooters.  I'd say it's a quality park though but 45 min outside the city too.  Only consider going there if it rains the whole time you are here.....

Downtown spots: T-Fox (manual pad): adjacent to football stadium, golden mile (Curb) adjacent to Hockey arena, both near the plaza. 

Food: Baby Dahl is on Commercial, people seem to love that spot.  Sushi: Carp in Mt. Pleasant, same deal......

Other attractions: if you go to Mahon/North Van, maybe the Lynn Canyon suspension bridge, it's free. 

sharkjumper

• Rep: 40
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2023, 10:31:03 PM »
For Portland, all the mentioned spots. Ed Benedict skatepark is a good visit if you like a more streety park.

For food, Eater usually highlights some good stuff. https://pdx.eater.com/
Recent standouts for me are Oma’s hideaway, G-love for a fancy meal, and tons of amazing pizza spots. The food cart pods around the city are great too.

Nightlife- Cat’s Paw (owned by Mickey Reyes), bye and bye, thunderbird (good burgers too), tons of dives and breweries.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2023, 09:42:12 PM »
For Portland, all the mentioned spots. Ed Benedict skatepark is a good visit if you like a more streety park.

Recent standouts for me are Oma’s hideaway, G-love for a fancy meal, and tons of amazing pizza spots. The food cart pods around the city are great too.

Nightlife- Cat’s Paw (owned by Mickey Reyes), bye and bye, thunderbird (good burgers too), tons of dives and breweries.

What is your fav rainy day spot?

sharkjumper

• Rep: 40
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2023, 11:11:22 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Red pillars is fun when it’s not too rainy. I had a lot of fun at the Lloyd center garage last winter. Rarely was hassled in there. A friend has a garage mini ramp, and always love the occasional invite to the Nike or adidas parks.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2023, 09:53:34 AM »
I want to echo the Westlake recc, and add in Red Square at UW, for iconic Seattle street spots to film a clip at. If it's raining you can also skate the parking garage at UW.

The International District has Asian food and Uwajimaya market.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2023, 05:48:00 PM »
Don’t they have an indoor in Seattle?  Where they do skate like a girl? 

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2023, 06:31:35 PM »

Yeah, there's All Together skatepark. I'd rather skate a parking garage than an indoor skatepark though.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 783
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2023, 08:56:48 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Commonwealth and Stronger if you don't mind pay to play indoor parks. I miss the PPS parking structure...

bombsaway86

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2023, 07:46:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, there's All Together skatepark. I'd rather skate a parking garage than an indoor skatepark though.

ATS is very slippery and pretty mediocre overall. I skate it maybe once a year when I’m desperate to skate during the weeks long spells of rain.

Side note, I checked out the smelt factory DIY in Kelso, WA today. Definitely worth the stop when driving from Portland to Seattle. Check their instagram @smelt_factory_diy