Author Topic: Niagara Falls Canada  (Read 672 times)

Babby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 39
Niagara Falls Canada
« on: October 17, 2023, 10:29:15 AM »
Wondering if any pals have any insight on the skate scene in Niagara Falls Canada, or just the scene of that city in general?

Was offered a work opportunity to move there and safe for the inviting pay, not sure what the general vibe of the city is like at all.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

skippersoldballs

• Rep: 72
Re: Niagara Falls Canada
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2023, 07:26:44 PM »
Wondering if any pals have any insight on the skate scene in Niagara Falls Canada, or just the scene of that city in general?

Was offered a work opportunity to move there and safe for the inviting pay, not sure what the general vibe of the city is like at all.

I don’t know much about the local scen but I skated the park there once. It was fun but nothing special. It’s maybe an hours drive from Toronto which has lots of fun stuff to skate

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 659
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2023, 11:09:59 PM »
Saint Catherine's has a fun park.

Also, it looks like Niagara Falls, US recently got a new park. It looks pretty awesome.
https://www.spohnranch.com/portfolio/niagara-falls-skatepark-2/

Niagara Canada is much nicer than Niagara America. There is a really pretty park in Niagara, Canadian wine country near by, and summers will be beautiful. However, it is a small city and I don't think there is much to do there. But, you'll be close to Buffalo, which will always have a skate scene since it is a mid-sized city and so many skaters from small towns flock to Buffalo for college and university and just to be in "the city."
« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 11:16:54 PM by TheLurper »

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

garbage plate

• Rep: 34
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2023, 07:39:58 AM »
Buffalo is less than a half hour away.

Mom's is the local shop.
(https://momsskateshop.com/)

There's a couple outdoor concrete parks.

La Salle (https://g.co/kgs/sZqqHH)
Alix Rice (https://g.co/kgs/q3trXV)

Shop with an indoor concrete park
(https://phatmanboardshop.com/)

Then two indoor parks
(https://www.foodcourtskatepark.com/)
(https://www.buffalokeyholders.com/)

busey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1284
  • i can't it's a geo!
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2023, 07:42:07 AM »
that's my hometown. feel free to shoot me a dm and we can chat from there.
I rolled my ankle jacking off on a ladder.

Babby

• Rep: 39
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2023, 10:44:34 AM »
Thank you for the insight so far!  Definitely seems like there is some cool things happening nearby.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2023, 03:50:40 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I don’t know much about the local scen but I skated the park there once. It was fun but nothing special. It’s maybe an hours drive from Toronto which has lots of fun stuff to skate
It's probably 90 minutes if traffic is clear, but that's a rarity. Wrong times you could be in for a long 3 hours. If you are actually trying to hit Toronto to skate street spots, probably makes more sense to hit up the GO train and time in right. Will drop you right off at Union station which is near a ton of the spots you see in parts by Bobby and Wade (CBC, Roy Thomson Hall, TD, etc).

DERBY

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2023, 10:05:33 PM »
ride down clifton hill

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2023, 05:35:56 AM »
Not sure where you are coming from but the winters are no joke in Ontario.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 680
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2023, 06:49:33 AM »
Personally I would never move there! the part of town that is not a tourist trap is a pretty big shit hole!
I took a quick look and seems like there are some decent areas but I think it has been hit pretty hard with fent. A lot of cities on that end of ontario seem to have been just rocked. Not saying where I live is much better, but I am looking to move out of Ontario completely...

Saint Catherines is a bit better (it also has some very poor areas too though...) and I think you could live there and commute to Niagara Falls easily. its only 15 min drive.

there is a really sick DIY in St Catherines called Knifeside, its easily searchable on google maps!

https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZdV8Q4ohaULLtqdy9

Hamilton is 1 hour away from Niagara, which is a freaking AMAZING scene!!! The spots there are incredible and there is a very good skatepark. It has been hit super super hard with fent but the people in the skate community there are amazing. They have a really good skate shop called "The Local" which really brings the scene together. If you can make the trek there during the weekends its 100% worth it. It is a shame their indoor just closed a few months ago :(

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2023, 07:24:19 AM »

Also, it looks like Niagara Falls, US recently got a new park. It looks pretty awesome.

Niagara Canada is much nicer than Niagara America. There is a really pretty park in Niagara, Canadian wine country near by, and summers will be beautiful. However, it is a small city and I don't think there is much to do there. But, you'll be close to Buffalo, which will always have a skate scene since it is a mid-sized city and so many skaters from small towns flock to Buffalo for college and university and just to be in "the city."

NF skatepark isn't terrible but as a former local... It's very disappointing, already falling apart after only a few years. Feel free to shoot a dm if anyone here is ever in the Buffalo area and wants to meetup.

busey

• SLAP Pal
  • i can't it's a geo!
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2023, 10:06:58 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

NF skatepark isn't terrible but as a former local... It's very disappointing, already falling apart after only a few years. Feel free to shoot a dm if anyone here is ever in the Buffalo area and wants to meetup.
it's almost 20 years old...

Paperclip20

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2023, 10:38:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Our boy said the Niagara Falls USA park. The ones in CA are better despite being older.

artichoke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2023, 10:57:04 AM »
ride down clifton hill

Honestly, this.

busey

• SLAP Pal
  • i can't it's a geo!
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2023, 01:09:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

Our boy said the Niagara Falls USA park. The ones in CA are better despite being older.
my bad chief, you right.

busey

• SLAP Pal
  • i can't it's a geo!
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2023, 01:11:25 PM »
Expand Quote
ride down clifton hill
[close]

Honestly, this.
we knew a dude who tried. he got speed wobbles about half way down and i've never seen someone slide so far on pavement in my life.

wheelchair rick handles it all the time tho

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2023, 06:39:02 AM »
I was just looking at some photos of my last trip there, niagara on the lake is actually a beautiful place to live if you can affford it, but also a bit of a tourist trap. but if you lived slightly outside that zone i think it could be really rad

there is a bomb ass hill on the way into niagara on the lake I remember.  I really want to go back and do it, i remember it being very mellow and just super super long.

busey

• SLAP Pal
  • i can't it's a geo!
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2023, 07:28:50 AM »
Personally I would never move there! the part of town that is not a tourist trap is a pretty big shit hole!

don't you live in like oshawa or something? lol

Paperclip20

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2023, 08:25:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
my bad chief, you right.

No worries man. If you don't mind crossing the border buffalo has a great scene and i'm not familiar but like someone else said toronto isn't far and has a lot going on.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2023, 02:58:43 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

No I have never lived in the hard GTA. I would rather live there or niagara than where I am at.

i dont mean to shit on where you are from but just do a google street view around the LCBO and in the tourist area and you get a pretty good idea of what its like... it does have some beautiful scenery but you really cannot go through there without avoiding huge areas where it seems like no one takes care of their property at all and just all run down busted ass war time houses. i am just trying to be real with the guy who wants to move there...

I was from Cambridge originally, it is a giant piece of shit. I work in Kitchener, it fucking sucks here. i moved out to a small village 20 min away but it still fucking sucks. the scene in kitchener is really weak and its hyper expensive to live there. might as well be living in toronto. They just force all the homless people into camps here, reminds me a bit of nazi germany.

I lived in London for a bit and it was pretty rad. I would recommend that big time,

dont mean to derail too mcuh but i am looking to move somewhere i can have a nice space i can build an indoor curb setup type thing. i am looking at newfoundland right now because it seems to be 1/2 the price of a house here and i really like the idea of living on the ocean because I really want to get into fishing and sailing some day. I really want to grow vegetables though and i think it is likely fairly shitty for that but maybe i could do a greenhouse.

i think this is kind ofrelevant overall i guess in the sense my overall attitude towards living in this province has gone super down hill. it seems so so fucking expensive for what you get... and its so competitive. i need to get out of here. it is just hard to uproot everything and all my family + wifes family is here etc.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 659
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2023, 01:34:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

No I have never lived in the hard GTA. I would rather live there or niagara than where I am at.

i dont mean to shit on where you are from but just do a google street view around the LCBO and in the tourist area and you get a pretty good idea of what its like... it does have some beautiful scenery but you really cannot go through there without avoiding huge areas where it seems like no one takes care of their property at all and just all run down busted ass war time houses. i am just trying to be real with the guy who wants to move there...

I was from Cambridge originally, it is a giant piece of shit. I work in Kitchener, it fucking sucks here. i moved out to a small village 20 min away but it still fucking sucks. the scene in kitchener is really weak and its hyper expensive to live there. might as well be living in toronto. They just force all the homless people into camps here, reminds me a bit of nazi germany.

I lived in London for a bit and it was pretty rad. I would recommend that big time,

dont mean to derail too mcuh but i am looking to move somewhere i can have a nice space i can build an indoor curb setup type thing. i am looking at newfoundland right now because it seems to be 1/2 the price of a house here and i really like the idea of living on the ocean because I really want to get into fishing and sailing some day. I really want to grow vegetables though and i think it is likely fairly shitty for that but maybe i could do a greenhouse.

i think this is kind ofrelevant overall i guess in the sense my overall attitude towards living in this province has gone super down hill. it seems so so fucking expensive for what you get... and its so competitive. i need to get out of here. it is just hard to uproot everything and all my family + wifes family is here etc.

Is Guelph decent? I've heard it is alright.

You bring up good points. I mean there are the politics of Ontario, which are very American and very conservative outside the city centers. I still can't believe Ford got re-elected let alone elected in the first place and ON seems to be running head first into privatizing healthcare, which defeats the purpose of living, working, or starting a business in Canada.

The Eastern Provinces seem to be booming. I just hear the winters are brutal over there. Are they worse than ON or QC?
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/nova-scotia-population-boom-1.6899752

Avril is from the 'shwa.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2023, 04:30:06 PM »
I think east coast winters are comparable to Quebec but maybe a little worse if you’re by the ocean cuz of wind chill? I think also because a lot of work is seasonal and tourists don’t go there in the winter it can feel more isolating.

Niagra Falls seems like small town living aside from the tourist area. Not sure what it’s like for spots but I would suspect it’s somewhat rough. I personally couldn’t see myself living there, but at the same time if I had a good work opportunity and was at a different stage in my life I’d consider it just as a new experience.

Like others have said Hamilton is about an hour away and is worth the trip for the skating, food, etc.

Toronto obviously is the best spot for skating, but it’s far away but accessible via the go train. Worth the trip for sure, but not as easy to do without planning and spending the day.

busey

• SLAP Pal
  • i can't it's a geo!
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2023, 06:02:00 AM »
secretly niagara falls has the best wonton soup in the world but it makes no sense and is at a sketchy looking donut shop so no one really believes it.

country fresh donuts is a must visit if you're ever there

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2023, 06:11:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

Is Guelph decent? I've heard it is alright.

You bring up good points. I mean there are the politics of Ontario, which are very American and very conservative outside the city centers. I still can't believe Ford got re-elected let alone elected in the first place and ON seems to be running head first into privatizing healthcare, which defeats the purpose of living, working, or starting a business in Canada.

The Eastern Provinces seem to be booming. I just hear the winters are brutal over there. Are they worse than ON or QC?
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/nova-scotia-population-boom-1.6899752

Avril is from the 'shwa.

Guelph is awesome!! great scene, I am good friends with a bunch of the guys from there and they are all INSANELY good skaters.

Something we noticed is that in my city (Kitchener-Waterloo) theres about 8 skateparks... and really no scene at all. everything is really scattered. in Hamilton and Guelph, there's really just 1 main skatepark in each of those cities (there are others but they are not nearly as central) and everyone sort of converges there. Also both of those cities have shops that arent zoomiez which is pretty key. our scene went really downhill once our shop closed.

apbarbs

• Rep: 38
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2023, 07:23:07 AM »
fwiw my friends in halifax tell me that the winter is not nearly as bad as montreal, and fairly comparable to toronto winters

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2023, 08:45:09 AM »
i imagine on the coast the winters are fairly shit because there is a lot of rain vs. living a little more in land you get a bunch of snow which is a bit more fun (altho more dangerous for driving etc.)
small price to pay
thats why my dream is to just have a indoor garage space big enough for decent curb setup

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2023, 05:24:22 PM »
rain dries up and if you watch your weather app, and are aware of what dries quickly, you can skate tons on the west coast.  the big draw back is the west coast draws people who are soft....and if they aren't...it turns people soft....and with everything being kinda expensive...you pretty much need to leave.

how about them prairies? 

professional

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2023, 09:57:34 AM »
6768 Lundy's Ln, Niagara Falls, ON L2G 1V5, Canada

busey

• SLAP Pal
  • i can't it's a geo!
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2023, 10:52:21 AM »
going to gnar you every time i see your username for that post. flying saucer is it.