Author Topic: Where on Earth breeds the best talent per capita?  (Read 3070 times)

bartlaser

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 15
Where on Earth breeds the best talent per capita?
« on: October 05, 2023, 05:45:26 AM »
What region of the world do you think generates the highest amount of rippers?  Not where most currently live, because they could have moved there, but where on Earth is breeding the best? 

Socal seems like an obvious answer, although a little boring. 
Florida continually pushes out heavy weights.  Got to be something in that water.
Minneapolis / MN has churned out some beasts.
Wildcard- Vermont.  When I came to Burlington for college back in 2002, I was tripping at the level of skaters at the local.  That was a crazy time for the area in terms of talent.  Also the second least populated state in the US.

I can only really speak to where I've been in the US.  Of course, Japan is proving to be a powerhouse.

As skating continues to grow, for me, the most interesting thing to see are the scenes popping up in unexpected places.

Shoutout Uganda Skateboard Society.

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 512
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Where on Earth breeds the best talent per capita?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2023, 05:55:16 AM »
I am quite surprised that no Chinese super bots have entered these olympic qualifiers yet.

Banned from the room

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2023, 06:00:38 AM »
This i granite central here in Massachusetts. Everyone can slay a ledge out out. My grandma can frickin back nose bunt like she was Henry frickin Sanchez. Of course she won't. Not even for cough syrup flavored WW2 taffy

Shrinedescender

• Rep: 153
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2023, 06:07:16 AM »
Jersey

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 317
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2023, 06:18:57 AM »
Japan

Groondor the Orc

• Rep: -146
  • Doper than Joey Bast’s shelltoes
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2023, 06:23:03 AM »
The answer is probably Sweden there's like 1000 people living there and they have Arto, Al Boulala, Tony Magnusson, Gustav Tonnenson, Oski, Dennis Busenitz, Claus Grabke etc etc

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 512
  • registered SLAP offender
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2023, 06:23:27 AM »
The answer is probably Sweden there's like 1000 people living there and they have Arto, Al Boulala, Tony Magnusson, Gustav Tonnenson, Oski, Dennis Busenitz, Claus Grabke etc etc

Grabke is german

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2023, 06:24:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Grabke is german

Arto is finish, Busenitz american

Groondor the Orc

• Rep: -146
  • Doper than Joey Bast’s shelltoes
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2023, 06:24:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Grabke is german

That's literally a part of Sweden it's the same country

beautifulcannolis

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2023, 06:25:33 AM »
I am quite surprised that no Chinese super bots have entered these olympic qualifiers yet.

Doubtful Chinese government would allow the youth to skate. Being as authoritarian as they are over there, they are probably aware that a corner stone of skate culture is a rejection of authority. Xi Jingping the Phooh dont play dat shit

addie pray

• Rep: -527
  • u a whole goofy
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2023, 06:57:32 AM »
new jersey, USA

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2016
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2023, 07:09:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Doubtful Chinese government would allow the youth to skate. Being as authoritarian as they are over there, they are probably aware that a corner stone of skate culture is a rejection of authority. Xi Jingping the Phooh dont play dat shit

In typical Chinese fashion they tried to institutionalize skateboarding in preparation for the 2018 Olympics - https://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2018/01/08/chinas-creating-skateboarding-army/
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Arto!Arto!WakeUp!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 194
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2023, 07:13:32 AM »

you're only out by a factor of 10,000. not bad.

WhoCareZ

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2023, 07:16:03 AM »

Especially when you consider all the boards and what not are made there

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2023, 07:28:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Grabke is german
I think that’s the joke

bluntfullofmid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 8
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2023, 07:33:02 AM »
What region of the world do you think generates the highest amount of rippers?  Not where most currently live, because they could have moved there, but where on Earth is breeding the best? 

Florida continually pushes out heavy weights.  Got to be something in that water.
Wildcard- Vermont.  When I came to Burlington for college back in 2002, I was tripping at the level of skaters at the local.  That was a crazy time for the area in terms of talent.  Also the second least populated state in the US.

I can only really speak to where I've been in the US.  Of course, Japan is proving to be a powerhouse.

As skating continues to grow, for me, the most interesting thing to see are the scenes popping up in unexpected places.

"yall act like abusin' women is so bad."
- Crailtap

pool coping

• Rep: -64
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2023, 07:41:32 AM »
brazil puts out some heavy hitters. they seem like extremely competitive people.

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 657
  • Free Max B
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2023, 07:53:15 AM »
Almost every single skateboarder you associate with New York City then and now is from jersey. Minus a select few from Queens.

Jupiter florida. Floridas huge but Jamie foy and all those Florida dudes are from the same town. Cromer too wtf they gave yall for lunch at school damn.

Brazilians have been fucking contests up for decades.

Free max b
FREE MAX B

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -410
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2023, 08:04:54 AM »
Brazil, #1 in skateboarding, #1 in liveleak

Giocattoli Inutili

• Rep: 2
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2023, 08:16:26 AM »
They aren't all from Jupiter, which is a pretty small city, but Palm Beach County has a lot of current people.  Cromer, Zion, Dilo, Delfinos, Foy, and slap legend Beatrice Domond.  Jamie Thomas started skating there too.

Ricky Vaughn

• Rep: 270
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2023, 08:42:17 AM »
Norway

Tell the world to eat my dick
I’m a prick motherfucker
Life Hell Tough shit
I’m the bic motherfucker

ejazzle

• Rep: 88
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2023, 09:06:35 AM »
They aren't all from Jupiter, which is a pretty small city, but Palm Beach County has a lot of current people.  Cromer, Zion, Dilo, Delfinos, Foy, and slap legend Beatrice Domond.  Jamie Thomas started skating there too.

A ton of talent comes from Jupiter for sure. Dave Bachinsky spent a good amount of time here too. We have one park thats mostly transition and barely any good street spots. Idk how it's such a hot spot for talent to come from but it really is. Even going back to the old SkateFL videos it was tons of talent and a lot of names that people know now. A few of the most talented even stopped skating for one reason or another.

But palm beach county as a whole is very tough to beat as far as talent per capita. I would say in the top 1% no doubt. Especially if you are comparing one county in Florida (population 1.5 million) to entire countries.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 89
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2023, 09:24:59 AM »

Small towns everywhere. Fuck all to do but skate.

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2023, 09:29:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Grabke is german
[close]

That's literally a part of Sweden it's the same country

This is quote worthy.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1436
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2023, 09:54:44 AM »
The asscrack of New England - nick dompierre, westgate, barley, zered, Sid abruzzi are all south of Boston. Get closer to Boston and you got PJ, Phelps, Robbie Gangemi, Jahaml Willliams, Matt Pailes, etc

Support your local skate shop

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2023, 10:46:46 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I think he meant to say “weather” not water

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

Lhotse’s Pit of Death

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2023, 11:03:48 AM »
The asscrack of New England - nick dompierre, westgate, barley, zered, Sid abruzzi are all south of Boston. Get closer to Boston and you got PJ, Phelps, Robbie Gangemi, Jahaml Willliams, Matt Pailes, etc
BA from Groton CT (asscrack NE for sure)

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1436
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2023, 11:05:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
BA from Groton CT (asscrack NE for sure)

i knew i was forgetting a powerhouse and legend. good looks
Support your local skate shop

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -608
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2023, 11:25:08 AM »
It’s Lakeland, FL. Reynolds, Renaud, and Pat Steiner, and are all from there.
I’m a ghost that everyone can see.

Southernmost

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2023, 11:35:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah I was recently wondering the same thing. Is China silently producing some skate phenom. There was a women in the Olympics that skated alright. But like mentioned above it’s probably not something most of their culture is into or maybe even legal to participate in.