Author Topic: How do you store your skateboard when you’re not using it?  (Read 1459 times)

9inchdeck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -18
How do you store your skateboard when you’re not using it?
« on: October 08, 2023, 05:41:37 PM »
I started bringing my board inside my house after every sesh to avoid it being exposed to sun when it’s not being used. I have been standing it up vertically with the tail on the floor and the wheels on the wall. Do you guys think this will make the board warp or lose pop faster? Or am I just overthinking the hell out of this?

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: How do you store your skateboard when you’re not using it?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2023, 05:18:53 PM »
I started bringing my board inside my house after every sesh to avoid it being exposed to sun when it’s not being used. I have been standing it up vertically with the tail on the floor and the wheels on the wall. Do you guys think this will make the board warp or lose pop faster? Or am I just overthinking the hell out of this?

More than anything it is making sure the wood - decks and completes - are not in any extremes of temperature, hot or cold, as well as no weight, stress or other forces acting on them to cause them to warp or have other issues.  Water and humidity is the only other thing to keep a board out of, so a damp area is also a no go for storage, eg cold damp garage or cellar or similar place.

Apart from that, bringing the board in to the house from a hot / cold car is good, or at least a lot better if it was subject to those sort of conditions.  Also less likely to be stolen from a car or garage, but that is just another scenario.

I have a lot of completes standing on their tails and never had any dramas with them.  Some people I know always stand their board on the nose, saying that there is less wear on the tail, but I can't see too much happening to a board that is just standing up and left alone, unless it is absolutely razor tailed and ready to be swapped out anyway.

The only other thing I do is keep boards in boxes when in the car so they are not easily seen when looking in, as well as keeping them insulated from the hot car when out in the full sun, which seems to work, as again, I don't have issues with the wood and my boards do tend to last a fair while, longer than average, I would say.

Looking after it is one thing, but I am not concerned with the usual wear and tear on my boards and gear, so I think you should be fine with that arrangement.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Fakie backsideflip

• Rep: -3
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2023, 06:07:04 PM »
I’m always a victim of trying to stay ready so I always have my board in the trunk. In the summer time I go through boards pretty bad because I can feel the life sucked out of it . it’s worth it to take out everyday and lay it on its side or up, I just hate the sound of a board falling over when it’s stood up and your wheels get your wall all dirty .

FUBAR

• Rep: 236
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2023, 06:13:51 PM »
On tha floor on tha floor

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 789
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2023, 06:46:38 PM »
Under my pillow.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1002
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following

LebowskisRug

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2023, 08:29:25 PM »
Exactly where my wife will trip over it even if that isn't a static location.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2023, 10:30:38 PM »
I leave it in my car so when it gets broken into I can post about it on my stories so friends think I’m a bigger idiot than I already am…..

turdtastic

• Rep: 55
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2023, 11:01:52 PM »
2 setups in the trunk (wheels up) with 3 pairs of shoes, just in case I get a chance for a random session.
For the record, I skate 1-3 Sunday mornings a month…

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2023, 11:10:43 PM »
You are but this is Slap so...
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2023, 12:12:43 AM »
yeah i just leave my shit in the car. i think people can be a bit precious about how much they think their skateboard does versus their actual skateboarding ability. not saying boards don't go dead, because they certainly do. but i skate just fine on a month old board that lives in the car.
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2023, 12:14:22 AM »
I have been standing it up vertically with the tail on the floor and the wheels on the wall.

Exactly like this. Tail on the floor. Nose needs to be up. Vertical axis OCD-90° perpendicular to the floor. 

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 720
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2023, 01:43:17 AM »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2023, 05:27:23 AM »

have a similar rack myself, holds 5 boards

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

yungthug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2023, 05:35:17 AM »

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2023, 05:38:43 AM »
In the 3rd row of my MPV..I also always park with all 4 windows slightly open to reduce the heat inside the cabin.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1074
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2023, 06:01:38 AM »
hot boxed in the trunk of my car. Fuck nano tubes

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 512
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2023, 06:08:44 AM »
The backup complete stays in the trunk and the good one in the house.

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2023, 06:37:29 AM »
Usually in the car or in the garage.

Pastasash

• Rep: 75
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2023, 06:48:46 AM »
summer, spring, and half of fall it's in my trunk ready to go. Once it's cold cold out I bring it inside and have it by the door vertically wheels on the wall and ready to mess with the paint lol.

most of my "wall hangers" have been sitting under our spare bed though in a skate duffel bag (one of those long Incase skateboard shaped ones for travelling) or in those plastic ziplock bags that Carpet sells their boards in. Is that the best way you guys store yours?

I checked on them recently to see how they held up over the summer cus our spare room isn't humidity controlled and none of them seemed to warp or get the paint messed up, granted I don't live in an area that gets very hot/humid, but not sure how you guys store your collectable ones.

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -300
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2023, 07:37:44 AM »
Inside on the floor in my bedroom.

Remember, if you're cold, they're cold, if you're hot, they're hot.

OhioGuy

• Rep: 58
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2023, 07:51:21 AM »
Thread needs more pictures. On the floor, in the middle of my room to remind myself how much money I’ve wasted lol 😖

Jokes aside, I keep them in a rack and only use one at a time (the green on in this case). I couldn’t imagine just tossing them anywhere or keeping them in the car.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2023, 09:06:04 AM »
One always in the trunk, the other in a closet. It's a small SUV so it doesn't offer much protection from temperature changes. I've also found that even under ideal conditions (indoors and away from vents), all skateboards will start to warp if kept long enough.

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 122
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2023, 09:59:26 AM »

I set mine up on some plastic thing called a Parking Block I think.

Pretty convenient and has a little spot for loose skate shit

Always nose down, I've never noticed a nose losing pop or feeling off in these, but I'll still never go tail first.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2023, 11:12:12 AM »
I keep the one I'm skating most in my car.  No, it's not the best for them but I have it with me.  If it warps (has only happened with Real slick decks, or Clutch wood) or gets soggy I will buy a new one.

Yakusoku2

• Rep: 45
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2023, 11:12:33 AM »
I’ve seen some kids in my neighborhood leave their decks at the front door, outside :o of course, if it rains, the board is soaking. Poor boards :-\

flintstagram

• Rep: 84
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2023, 11:54:08 AM »

I set mine up on some plastic thing called a Parking Block I think.

Pretty convenient and has a little spot for loose skate shit

Always nose down, I've never noticed a nose losing pop or feeling off in these, but I'll still never go tail first.

This. I store my board in my room between my dresser and the closet using one of these parking blocks. I’m skating a twin shape, so I can’t say nose or tail side down. I know skating non symmetrical boards, I always just stored tail down. There was zero concern for degradation. It supports the board well, and is in a temperature controlled environment. I recommend the parking block. I’ve had mine for over 6 years now, and it’s still working perfectly.

They’re like $20 on Amazon, and I just looked and they have a store with a few other options for board storage if you’re interested. I just searched “skateboard parking block”.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2023, 03:30:13 PM »
I’ve seen some kids in my neighborhood leave their decks at the front door, outside :o of course, if it rains, the board is soaking. Poor boards :-\

I grew up in a small coastal town and a LOT of people used to do that. I still see the occasional skateboard outside by the front door. More than the rain/weather it's that they are easily stolen...
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

SupremePizza

• Rep: 44
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2023, 03:41:11 PM »
I just lay my board flat on it's wheels on the living room carpet. Drives my girl crazy but the cat loves it

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2023, 04:03:58 PM »
My brother just gave me a big skateboard rack it's on my porch. I got to cut the back of it a little bit because it's like pyramid shaped and it takes up too much space in my place.

Idk if I'm going to put my board in it but I'd maybe put a slick in it. I'd put blanks in it too I guess.

I try to not do board slides and I definitely don't do lip slides. I do do rocks and I like to hang up so if I do bowl I will scratch the graphics. After that it's whatever. I do try to f14 tho

I just excepted it as a reason for peace in the family.

I never store my current. I'd forget and start to cry because I can't find my higher power.

Pals I hope you never know me without a board in my life. I'm a fucking trash bag with out confidence outside of criminal behavior. I'm a fuckin godt when it comes to theft.

My life goes

Music Skating Art Climbing Mountains Petty Crime.

I'm such a broken person
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)