Author Topic: israel and palestine  (Read 15720 times)

Bupstop (+ 1 Hidden) and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

231st Street

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -187
Re: israel and palestine
« Reply #150 on: October 26, 2023, 02:52:04 PM »
Ritchie Torres is a good dude and does alot to help the poorer folks in this district-- he definitely has haters though thats for sure :). I'm not sure about the argument that he isn't an advocate for the poorer or minority folks in his district- that doesn't match what I know or have seen from him in the local news.

If you think most Jews or Israelis have some sort of obsession with the Irgun, I dont agree.  I don't think any religious or orthodox jew ever thought the Irgun or Hagganah was morally justifiable.  They were indeed secular nationalist paramilitary groups as others have noted that arose up during the collapse of British colonial power. I am aware they had a lot to do with the founding of the state.  They did also operate as a security force for jews during wars and pograms in addition to "terrorist" activity.  Ill also recognize that Hamas performs similar functions in Gaza (poorly).  Hezbelloh is certainly not very different from the Lehi in some very weird mirror, but real sense.

Here is the assassination I referenced earlier of a poet who worked with the pre-zionist Ashkenazi jewish authorities (some of them).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_Israël_de_Haan

I've heard about this and other stories many times.  There is a reason Israeli media originally called them the "Stern Gang".  These people are not considered heroes amongst the average Israeli jew or religious jew.   Do I think there is a nationalist element there like everywhere else?  Sure..

The point is that those organizations no longer exist.  You have every right to be upset about military bombings in Gaza-- my point is if folks break up under flags, sides, etc., thats not the way forward, and part of how we understand other people's views is being exposed to the historiographic view they have of their own history and the history of the region. 

Recognizing each others' humanities, cultures and histories and being able to understand different viewpoints seems to be the goal of discussion: to hopefully lead to less war. 

If a reader reading this thread thinks Israelis are all white people who popped up to invade Israel with the Irgun and that is the starting point, seems like some context missing and that won't help understanding on either side.

Not trying to obfuscate anything-if folks have actual evidence of Israel funding Hamas or supporting it would love to see it. Certainly been a common left wing attack (or anti Bibi really) attack against Netanyahu in Israel (i.e., that his actions have ultimately led to Hamas taking over Gaza). I think that is different than implying that Jews or Israelis are actually trying to support Hamas or have a plan to allow incidents like this or use them for political purposes.

Re: the Nakba and founding of the State of Israel, what do you want me to say about that.  Clearly we have different views about what happened there in terms of the cause and effect, though likely recognize the same actual "facts"

Shouldn't the goal be getting a stable situation in Gaza rid of Hamas? Terrorist attacks aren't going to help advance the goals of humanity.  It is just not possible to create peace with terrorist activity, even if you are angry regarding the terrible economic and other circumstances in Gaza historically and Israelis military actions.  There will be brutal retaliations for terrorist attacks. 

I'm of course biased and giving the history as I understand it of the conflict: appreciate everyone posting their thoughts.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 03:44:52 PM by BronxRiverKook »

Salad farmer

• Rep: 21
« Reply #151 on: October 26, 2023, 03:55:44 PM »
Ritchie Torres is a good dude and does alot to help the poorer folks in this district-- he definitely has haters though thats for sure :). I'm not sure about the argument that he isn't an advocate for the poorer or minority folks in his district- that doesn't match what I know or have seen from him in the local news.

If you think most Jews or Israeli have some sort of obsession with the Irgun, I dont agree.  I dont think any religious or orthodox jew ever thought the Irgun or Hagganah was morally justifiable.  They were indeed secular nationalist paramilitary groups as others have noted that arose up during the collapse of British colonial power. I am aware they had a lot to do with the founding of the state.  They did also operate as a security force for jews during wars and pograms in addition to "terrorist" activity. 

Here is the assassination I referenced earlier of a poet who worked with the pre-zionist Ashkenazi jewish authorities (some of them).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_Israël_de_Haan

I've heard about this and other stories many times.  There is a reason Israel's originally called them the "Stern Gang".  These people are not considered heroes amongst the average Israeli jew or religious jew.   Do I think there is a nationalist element there like everywhere else?  Sure..

The point is that those organizations no longer exist.  You have every right to be upset about military bombings in Gaza-- my point is if folks break up under flags, sides, etc., thats not the way forward, and part of how we understand other people's views is being exposed to the historiographic view they have of their own history and the history of the region. 

My whole point people recognizing each others' humanities, cultures and histories and being able to understand different viewpoints-- to hopefully lead to less war.  If someone believes Israelis are all white people who popped up to invade Israel with the Irgun and that is the starting point, seems like some context missing.

Not trying to obfuscate anything-if folks have actual evidence of Israel funding Hamas or supporting it would love to see it. Certainly been a common left wing attack (or anti Bibi really) attack against Netanyahu in Israel (i.e., that his actions have ultimately led to Hamas taking over Gaza). I think that is different than implying that Jews or Israelis are actually trying to support Hamas or have a plan to allow incidents like this or use them for political purposes.

Re: Nakba, what do you want me to say about that? Shouldn't the goal be getting a stable situation in Gaza rid of Hamas? Terrorist attacks aren't going to help advance the goals of humanity.  Its just not possible even if you are angry regarding the terrible economic and other circumstances in Gaza historically and Israelis military actions.  I'm of course biased and giving the history as I understand it of the conflict-- appreciate everyone posting their thoughts.

In the links you can see that Torres gets the 7th highest donations from Pro-Israel pacs among 435 members of congress. He is also spewing the same charged language that Israel does, he is a paid mouthpiece. Irgun became Herut which became Likud. As you have pointed out before in this thread Likud is still very powerful. As for if Israel propped up Hamas just google it seriously, I'm out of free article views for  most of the sites. I posted one already, here is another but seriously just google it or Brig. Gen. Yitzhak Segev to go back much further than 2019.

https://www.jpost.com/arab-israeli-conflict/netanyahu-money-to-hamas-part-of-strategy-to-keep-palestinians-divided-583082
https://www.timesofisrael.com/abbas-netanyahu-responsible-for-west-bank-terror-due-to-payments-to-hamas/

You didn't want to discuss the Nakba but were keen to get to include Jews from Arab countries which came as a reaction to the Nakba, as a defense for why Israel actually is not a result of European immigration. It was terrible as we established but ignoring it in relation to the expulsion of Jews from the Arab world is insanity especially if you won't address the Nakba, because you are a good guy who doesn't want to speak for others and not because you refuse to condemn atrocities by Israel or its founders. "Do I think there is a nationalist element there like elsewhere?" Seriously dude?

231st Street

« Reply #152 on: October 27, 2023, 05:34:46 AM »
A few more inaccurate statements to correct:

- Jewish immigration from the other Middle Eastern states to Israel (aka expulsion of jews from the Middle East) due to Arab nationalism and the collapse of the colonial states in the Middle East did not happen as a "reaction" to the independence of Israel and/or Nakba. It was already happening.  Certainly arab states started speeding up the expulsions of jews to Israel and stealing of all their property after Israeli independence was declared.  I agree that doing this and forcing a mass migration of middle eastern jews into tent camps with no property, leaving their houses, etc., behind, some on foot, etc., did not help Palestinians maintain their territorial holdings after the arab states invaded Israel. 

- For the most part, the links you posted vis a vi Likud and Hamas are written from a more right wing point of view.  I.e., these are articles written by people that wanted the Likud to stop Qatari money from flowing into Gaza, which is effectively its main humanitarian aid.  Is that was the Israeli government should have done?  That is the clear goal of at least one of the articles, I haven't read the other (aside from the click-bait title).  I support the Likud allowing Qatari aid to go to Gaza, even though much of it ends up pilfered by Hamas from the civilians.  If this support is removed, Gaza would be solely reliant on Iran and Russia and in even worse shape arguably.  I have many friends who dont believe Qatari money should be allowed to go to Hamas though, and certainly that is a fair view.  I do understand from that perspective how one could say Bibi allowed Hamas to survive, but the alternative would have been effectively trying to declare war on Qatar which is a huge U.S. ally.  Certainly the Cold War struggle of power between Russia/USA and their respective allies continues to loom large over all this unfortunately for the actual people.

- What is the difference between Jews having a flag and state and nationalistic elements in their culture and others?  Do you believe Israeli society is more reactionary in the traditional sense than other middle eastern states.  Why was my statement accepting that Israeli society has a nationalistic element absurd?  Do you feel Israelis are more nationalistic than others in the Middle East?

- I haven't researched Ritchie Torres' (my districts representative discussed above) source of donations.  Ive never donated money to him and or voted for him.  All I know about him is what I've seen him do in my district and what I've seen him say.  Yes he is a representative in a large segment of the Bronx and jews who live in his district give him money (as well as many others).  Shocking, shocking I tell you!  The idea that he is a shill for Israel or big money lobby is really patently absurd.  2023 is strange-- never thought I'd be defending Ritchie Torres on a message board ha.

I do want to thank all of you for a civil discussion and a thread that I also learned from. This might be the most civil Israeli Palestine discussion on an anonymous message board ever ha

Hopefully healthy for everyone to have a place to try to exchange their feelings skater style and be well/have a great weekend everyone..
« Last Edit: October 27, 2023, 01:08:31 PM by BronxRiverKook »

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 293
« Reply #153 on: October 27, 2023, 03:56:51 PM »
I hope Israel stops the wholesale murder of innocent civilians and children.

That would really make my fucking weekend
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

caked

• Rep: 3
« Reply #154 on: October 31, 2023, 01:03:34 PM »

agreed, would make my fucking week/month

pretty fucking crazy for people to say "Hamas is the problem"....I must have missed the part where Hamas dropped 6 tons of bombs on refugee neighborhoods? I'm also disgusted by the increasing number of Jewish celebrities/comedians/actors/musicians just proudly espousing racism. (looking at you Amy Schumer, Chelsea Handler, Regina Spektor, etc etc)

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1105
« Reply #155 on: October 31, 2023, 06:40:16 PM »
As an Israeli I will only say this"

Get your guns ready and protect your family Jihad will not stop with Israel and Jews.

As for the war, if you haven't live there or not knowlagable when it comes to history your view is not applicable no matter which side you side with.

Other than that ✌🏽❤

Anyone who was conscious during 9/11 remembers this line and of course the main thing which happened was that the US and its allies projected unspeakable violence on under developed countries in the Middle East. Same shit, different day.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

231st Street

« Reply #156 on: November 01, 2023, 05:41:32 AM »
Ive been a bit busier lately and obviously the news has taken a pretty dark turn in terms of both military violence, crisis in Gaza, hostages being found killed, etc.

Especially given folks' understandable desire to keep "politics" off here as posted in other threads, I'm going to pull back from posting in this thread (not sure I would consider our discussion of history/current events to be "politics" and that wasn't my intent, but I get it after my heavy downvoting).
« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 02:42:05 PM by BronxRiverKook »

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -514
« Reply #157 on: November 01, 2023, 06:19:39 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

pretty fucking crazy for people to say "Hamas is the problem"....I must have missed the part where Hamas dropped 6 tons of bombs on refugee neighborhoods? I'm also disgusted by the increasing number of Jewish celebrities/comedians/actors/musicians just proudly espousing racism. (looking at you Amy Schumer, Chelsea Handler, Regina Spektor, etc etc)

In fairness, what exactly do you think Hamas would do if it had said “six ton bombs”?

pool coping

• Rep: -63
« Reply #158 on: November 01, 2023, 07:48:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

In fairness, what exactly do you think Hamas would do if it had said “six ton bombs”?

whatever the answer to this hypothetical question is it does not justify the genocide that is currently occurring.

Salad farmer

• Rep: 21
« Reply #159 on: November 02, 2023, 01:37:48 AM »
Ive been a bit busier lately and obviously the news has taken a pretty dark turn in terms of both military violence, crisis in Gaza, hostages being found killed, etc.

Especially given folks' understandable desire to keep "politics" off here as posted in other threads, I'm going to pull back from posting in this thread (not sure I would consider our discussion of history/current events to be "politics" and that wasn't my intent, but I get it after my heavy downvoting).

The belief that Jews were favored by colonial powers like the British and Anti-Zionism as well as antisemitism helped lead to the expulsion of Jews from Arab countries. The confirmation of this favor came in stages with the Balfour Declaration and eventually the creation of Israel which led to the Nakba. You can't separate the anti-colonial aspect of the expulsion of Jews from Arab countries. You can find several Israelis who counter this reverse Nakba argument, Ran Cohen, Shlomo Hilleland and more. Tunisia, Morocco, and Algeria had a large number of Jews emigrate to Israel but but were not expelled. Libya had Zionist elements, as did Iraq and those bombed Jewish housing in order to encourage Jews to leave Iraq. 1950-1951 Baghdad bombings. I won't get hung up on this point though.

Don't let down votes stop you from posting, people should hear multiple views. I have many Arab friends who would not agree with some of my views, and many of them have views that conflict with each other on multiple issues. More than anything I hope anyone reading this thread understands is that Palestine and the Arab world is made up of so many different people with unique viewpoints. Islam is not some inherently dangerous religion that gives us permission to dehumanize its followers. The kinds of things I hear being said by some news outlets just doesn't match my experience in knowing Arabs or Muslims. The bombs don't differentiate between Christian Palestinian, moderate Muslim or Hamas terrorist and in order to sell the kind of civilian casualties involved in this campaign the Israeli government have to dehumanize them. The vast majority of Palestinian people are normal people you can not justify killing by the thousands with bombs and wiping out over 45% of homes or something crazy like that.

The same holds true for Israelis, I do not want to discount the work that Israeli advocacy groups do for Palestine. These groups have a strong chance of influencing situations by engaging the Israeli public. I do feel for Israelis having an existential dread of worrying about terror attacks. Most Israelis haven't been extremists settlers or talked about wiping out Palestinians. Those voices are there though and amplified by government. While I can not accept the way Israel was formed, the original need for a Jewish state still exists. Antisemitism created the need for Israel, the creation of Israel fueled a legitimate land dispute that turned into an occupation but also created more antisemitism. The continued worldwide existence and growth of antisemitism maintains the existential need for Israel to exist. I understand that any solution needs to retain some form of an Israeli state. I know some people think, or thought, a one state solution is the way to make things right but I can't see Israel every agreeing to a chance that Jewish people would ever become a minority of the population after allowing Palestinians the right to return.

Outside of the one dude who said something about Jihad spreading to the entire world I don't think things have been gotten too crazy. Me and you will never see eye to eye on the history of Israel and Palestine but we can agree that things can not continue as they are and there needs to be a path forward where civilians don't pay the toll on either side. I feel for all the Jewish and Arab people around the world who will suffer hate as a result of what is going on in Israel and Palestine.

Added later: The Israeli campaign is indefensible. Even with a right to retaliate this is insanity. The situation in the West Bank with settlers killing Palestinians. There are videos of IDF soldiers stepping on prisoners heads and spitting on them, it's possible that isn't from anytime in the last month but I highly doubt it is fake. Detaining 1800 Palestinians in the West Bank since October 7th. There are holocaust survivors calling it genocide, officials are using genocidal language. Once again the death rate is approaching a 10:1 civilian death toll where Palestinian civilians take the worst of it as they have in every single conflict with Israel. If you are in the US please call or email your representatives to demand a ceasefire. Things are continuing to escalate without journalists and cameras around to document much of what is happening in Gaza.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 03:45:54 PM by Salad farmer »

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #160 on: November 02, 2023, 06:27:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

There is absolutely nothing ‘fair’ about comparing a hypothetical to a fucking real life genocide, you asshat.

That’s like saying “what would the Jews in Germany do if they had access to Gas Chambers?”

Jews did try to fight back during WW2, and just like now, it brought massive repercussions and slaughter.
So like, blame the victims, right?

*edit

I’m pissed. But that doesn’t excuse what I wrote. Attacking innocent people, while to them might be seen as fighting back and giving Israelis a taste of what the Palestinians constantly go through as justified to Hanas, but not to me.
I shouldn’t have written that.

Many Palestinians fight back against checkpoints, police, the army, snipers, watchtowers and the like. And they get gunned down for it as well.

But this Israeli response is so utterly over the top that it’s laughable to justify it as trying to destroy Hamas. It’s just straight-up execution and mass expulsion of an entire people. Hamas is just the excuse to finally do what they’ve been planning for years.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 07:11:44 AM by cucktard »

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Dont

• Rep: -15
« Reply #161 on: November 02, 2023, 09:10:17 AM »
Jews weren’t trying to massacre Germans. Hamas said they will do 10/7 over and over again as soon as they get the chance.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

That’s like saying “what would the Jews in Germany do if they had access to Gas Chambers?”

[close]

this is flipping my whole perspective on the holocaust fr

addie pray

• Rep: -525
  • u a whole goofy
« Reply #162 on: November 02, 2023, 09:56:07 AM »
israel is currently doing it's 20th 10/7 in a row

Dont

• Rep: -15
« Reply #163 on: November 02, 2023, 11:56:36 AM »

The death toll in Gaza is tragic. I just wanted to be sure  that holocaust victims weren’t being compared to Hamas.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #164 on: November 02, 2023, 03:44:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

If Hamas had a "six ton bomb", Israel wouldn't be committing genocide in Palestine.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #165 on: November 02, 2023, 04:06:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The death toll in Gaza is tragic. I just wanted to be sure  that holocaust victims weren’t being compared to Hamas.

No one is. Just civilian Palestinians

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -514
« Reply #166 on: November 02, 2023, 09:11:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

If Hamas had a "six ton bomb", Israel wouldn't be committing genocide in Palestine.

Uhh what?

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 28
« Reply #167 on: November 04, 2023, 08:29:49 AM »
As a Frenchman I
Let me write my feelings here..

This war is a terrible tragedy, on both sides. No innocent person deserves to die. These Hamas bastards have unleashed the extreme heat of a long-running war.

I'm afraid, yes, afraid when I get too interested in it, and I realize that what creates false information and extreme movements is social networks..

The problem, I have the impression in France, that racism has increased and that people judge all Arab people as terrorists.. And the problem is that in this war, the extreme movements simply forget the consequences of a terrible war on innocent children.. Some only see Palestine, others no longer want foreigners in France.. The conflict is in our country, and all of this fueled and pushed by these fucking social networks and information..

Final message, I hope that this war will end and that above all, we will be able to sort things out and no longer make prejudices.. I met survivors of the Second World War, and they all said one thing "Hate brings hate "..  :-\

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #168 on: November 04, 2023, 02:59:49 PM »
As a Frenchman I
Let me write my feelings here..

username checks out
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #169 on: November 09, 2023, 04:58:04 PM »

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #170 on: November 12, 2023, 11:39:49 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ9PKQbkJv8

For those that don't partake.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Vexed

• Rep: 10
« Reply #171 on: November 14, 2023, 05:59:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Uhh what?

If al-Qassam had regular access to guided munitions they’d primarily hit IDF targets.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 307
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #172 on: November 14, 2023, 10:51:26 AM »

231st Street

« Reply #173 on: November 16, 2023, 11:07:31 AM »

Me and you will never see eye to eye on the history of Israel and Palestine but we can agree that things can not continue as they are and there needs to be a path forward where civilians don't pay the toll on either side. I feel for all the Jewish and Arab people around the world who will suffer hate as a result of what is going on in Israel and Palestine.

Catching up here, but this is definitely key (and all people affected).  I also post so people know in real life in many places in NYC religious jews and muslims interact regularly (yes, even now), probably moreso than the average american interacts with each group.

This of course does not change the facts on the ground over there and everyone is free to speak their mind, but for those reading this in places that live in places that are not as diverse that dont get the opportunity to meet the "other" in real life, offline, if they are watching the news about the protests in DC and NYC they may get the wrong impression about how the average NYer is attempting to continue to interact with each other civilly.  Certainly the frank conversations here present me with views maybe people I know dont tell me as strongly in person (though some of course do), which is also important to hear.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2023, 11:29:39 AM by BronxRiverKook »

addie pray

• Rep: -525
  • u a whole goofy
« Reply #174 on: November 16, 2023, 08:11:57 PM »
storming hospitals is uncool

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
« Reply #175 on: November 17, 2023, 09:34:00 AM »
storming hospitals is uncool

In real life, yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP9iKK1FgS4

When John Woo does it though...

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #176 on: November 29, 2023, 06:41:01 AM »
Hi guys,

Just a friendly update that There are now over 6000 children dead, with 7000 more women and children missing.

So you know, it’s probably more like 9000+ murdered children, with 10s of thousands more maimed while the world lets it happen.

So yeah. Bump.

Fuck this world.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 03:01:46 PM by cucktard »

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #177 on: November 29, 2023, 08:25:02 AM »
Hi guys,

Just a friendly update that There are now over 6000 children dead, with 7000 more women and children missing.

Do you know, probably more like 9000+ murdered children, with 10s of thousands more maimed while the world lets it happen.

So yeah. Bump.

Fuck this world.

Thinking back fondly to the "Israel wouldn't bomb a hospital/Hamas blew up their own hospital" discussion.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1476
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #178 on: December 02, 2023, 08:29:49 AM »

Pasta Monster

« Reply #179 on: December 02, 2023, 03:51:55 PM »
So Israel knew a year ago about the planned attack…

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/30/world/middleeast/israel-hamas-attack-intelligence.html
They also funded Hamas so they wouldn’t have to negotiate with PLO.

The plan is to push the Palestinian people to Rafah and eventually into Egypt. They want to drill for oil and expand settlements after getting rid of the civilians. Some Israeli politicians on the right are happily calling this the, “Gaza Nakba.”