Author Topic: Slappy help line  (Read 511 times)

Orangepulp1000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 177
Slappy help line
« on: October 10, 2023, 05:01:56 AM »
Making a thread for any and all slappy trick tips,  Forgive me if there’s already one…

Can anyone have a look at this vid (old one but still valid)
and tell me on what I need to work on? I’ve been working on slappy fs crooks for basically a yr now and can’t hold them any longer than what’s in the clip. I know I need to put my body over it more but just can’t figure it out.

http://www.instagram.com/reel/CkVazxEDFUY/?igshid=NzZhOTFlYzFmZQ==

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
Re: Slappy help line
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2023, 05:59:13 AM »
I am absolutely shit at fs crooks, I’m still learning the pinch.

But if it’s anything like bs, you gotta let your body weight roll on top of the curb, behind the grind.

As long as your body weight stays off the curb and over the road, I don’t think you’ll be able to hold it.

Nice pinch tho!
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2023, 08:42:37 AM »
I have the same problem. Only thing that’s worked so far is going faster and getting my body over the curb. I try to warm up with a bunch of front noses in order to get used to the feeling

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2023, 10:20:12 AM »
Reg FS crooks are so much harder than switch honestly. I'm not amazing at either, but switch feels more natural to get into and holds. I can FS crook a ledge and finding ollie'ing into it way easier to align my bodyweight and pinch. Regular slappy crooks are by far my easiest slappy.

Speaking of easy slappies, I cannot get backside feebs for the life of me. I always just get into a boardslide with my weight way too far back. Help me folks!

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2023, 10:46:41 PM »
I think Bianca’s got it right…..

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2023, 07:41:07 AM »
Reg FS crooks are so much harder than switch honestly. I'm not amazing at either, but switch feels more natural to get into and holds. I can FS crook a ledge and finding ollie'ing into it way easier to align my bodyweight and pinch. Regular slappy crooks are by far my easiest slappy.

Speaking of easy slappies, I cannot get backside feebs for the life of me. I always just get into a boardslide with my weight way too far back. Help me folks!
It might be your carve into it. I find that when I’m having trouble getting my wheel up over the curb it helps to roll up to it like you’re going for a back 50. Do an s turn going into it and really weight your back toe. That works for me, usually. Trick is sometimes tougher than advertised.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2023, 10:16:30 AM »
Damn, I can barely back 50-50 slappy i always end up in a fucked up back nosegrind, which looks cool but feels scary

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2023, 10:43:19 AM »
I
Damn, I can barely back 50-50 slappy i always end up in a fucked up back nosegrind, which looks cool but feels scary

I like slappy willys. It always happens when you're ramping up the speed after a few drinks sometimes too.

It sounds so sick when it happens and it's exciting as you zing across the curb all surprised and shit.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2023, 11:42:10 AM »
That might be the angle you’re approaching at? This happens to me if I get cocky and approach too parallel.

Willy grinds are so fun, I’ve been doing those a lot lately

And_so_it_goes22

• Rep: 26
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2023, 07:06:48 PM »
I’m a bit embarrassed to even ask for help on this one because I keep reading everyone say it’s the easiest slappy. But I could use some help on crooks. Just a normal, backside slappy crook.

I can get into the stall on a dry curb 10 times out of 10. And when I do a stall on a dry curb, my weight is on my heel not on my toes. But when I try it at speed I tend to stick. And when that happens, my weight and head are in front of my front foot and I know that can’t be right. 

I think my issue is in going from toe to heel getting into it, or maybe my weight isn’t correct between my front and back foot.  Or maybe none of that is right and my techniques are all wrong because I’m trying to learn from YouTube vloggers.  But I’m struggling to get there. 

I’m also wondering if maybe my primary curb spot isn’t right. It’s got a pretty decent angle to it, I’d say 70% or so. When I stick it sounds like my truck is sticking. But this curb is glassy. Also, my front toe side wheel is getting chewed the fuck up on the outside edges. Maybe I need a more vertical curb, and the wheel is sticking?

This is really frustrating for me. And as I said, a bit embarrassing. I can do front and back 5050s very consistently. But this one makes me wanna throw my board through a fucking wall.

I’m kind of old compared to most of the people on here, and I pretty much only skate solo. So I’ve been trying to learn this through videos. I don’t have any friends that can do them that I can ask.  I’m not gonna even say how many months I’ve been trying to learn this, but out of hundreds of attempts I’ve landed three. 
« Last Edit: October 11, 2023, 09:01:04 PM by And_so_it_goes22 »

GS77

• Rep: 94
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2023, 08:28:36 PM »
Backside slappy k grinds are an extension of bs 50/50 grinds. Try this:

Approach the curb just like bs 50/50. Hit the curb with your front truck. Now, instead of pushing your back foot on the curb just allow your back foot to dangle with your weight in front of the curb. You should go right into a bs nose grind. Once you feel that slight nose gring swing your back foot slightly away from the curve. You will either go into a Willy grind or a k grind. You will be surprised how easy you go into position with just a slight weight shift forward and away from the top of the curb.

BTW—I have been skating for over 30 years and more than half by myself.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2023, 08:33:48 PM »
I’m 47, and never did a crook in my life before March this year. Now I have bs pretty good, and finally some ‘cool guy’ marks on my trucks ::)

So if you just stall a k, you tend to hit the curb at 90 and just twist the board a bit. Your weight gets thrown right over the truck.

To lock in and grind them, have your foot about 45 degrees. When you get on (hitting the curb somewhere between 45-60 degrees) your foot will then be roughly in line with the curb.

You don’t have to carve in at all, just head straight in,  and push that front foot slightly forward as you lighten it. Let it ride up onto the curb and then once on brace your foot a bit in front of you. If it’s right under you you’ll stick, too far forward and you slip out.

I tend to have my foot pushed out a half board length (or a bit less) forward from my nuts (ie under your center of mass)

« Last Edit: October 11, 2023, 09:42:23 PM by cucktard »
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

And_so_it_goes22

• Rep: 26
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2023, 08:38:08 PM »
Thanks guys, really appreciate it.   I’m gonna hit both of my curb spots tomorrow night and try your approach(es).

I turned 50 over the summer, so it’s been 38 years for me. And almost from the beginning I’ve always loved skating solo. 

Edit / update:  these just suddenly clicked for me last night. I went from being lucky to make one or two per session to landing them almost every time. Weird. Skateboarding is a humbling motherfucker. Thanks for your helpful posts. And extra special thanks to Cucktard, who’s Slappy 50/50 explanation is the best I’ve ever seen. 
« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 09:57:30 AM by And_so_it_goes22 »