Author Topic: Best quality skate clothing?  (Read 3170 times)

VCR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 194
Re: Best quality skate clothing?
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2023, 02:51:43 PM »
Pass~port stuff is top notch

sadnocomply

• Rep: 132
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2023, 03:59:23 PM »
Carpet co, dime mtl, polar skate co, dancer, passport, quasi, magenta, theories, FA/hockey bottoms

Damn I buy a lot of clothes lol

Yakusoku2

• Rep: 45
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2023, 11:54:37 AM »
I have a Hockey hoodie that is soooo thick and heavy. I love how warm it is but it doesn’t fit good. It’s baggy and very short, so my torso looks like a huge short square so my legs look really long. It’s a pity. I have a couple of Butter shirts that fit really bad too. The best clothes I have aren’t skate clothes. They are baggy pants from Beams and Zara, hoodies from Nautica, jackets from Tommy Hilfiger…

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -436
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2023, 12:34:07 PM »
I have a Hockey hoodie that is soooo thick and heavy. I love how warm it is but it doesn’t fit good. It’s baggy and very short, so my torso looks like a huge short square so my legs look really long. It’s a pity. I have a couple of Butter shirts that fit really bad too. The best clothes I have aren’t skate clothes. They are baggy pants from Beams and Zara, hoodies from Nautica, jackets from Tommy Hilfiger…

Thank you for putting me onto the nautica hoodies, salute king 👑

Yakusoku2

« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2023, 09:55:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They are simple hoodies (I have this https://zozo.jp/sp/shop/freaksstore/goods-sale/59348616/?did=98372572&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=2006_PLA_pmax and the same one in gray) but they’re so warm and heavy. They feel good quality. I don’t know where is the brand from but I hope they’re available worldwide

cool_hand

• Rep: 0
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2023, 12:40:45 PM »
Carhartt Double Knees (WIP), pricey but a little better finish than original Carhartts and the measurements is more accurate than original... otherwise original Carhartt Double Front B136 (washed duck) or B01 (rigid duck) is also very good, pretty much same pant as WIP but half the price. Measurements can be little off. The biggest pros about these pants regardless WIP or original, is the canvas duck, so make sure you get the duck versions and not denim or twill versions. Canvas textile also forms better around your body, which will get you a better fit with time. Carhartt duck can also be found in other styles, like 5-pockets or more fitted pants.

Hoodies, check out Lady White super weighted... not a skate brand though, only blanks. Pricey but they will last you for years. I have some Polar, Anti-Hero and Hockeys that have been good, but they are all shit compared to real hoodie brands like Lady White or Reigning Champ.

For tees, Uniqlo U is the best blanks you can get. The quality is the same as Polar or Carhartt WIP but half the price. Sizing is same too. Will never buy any other tee.

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2023, 04:40:54 AM »
Love my Bronze and Theories hoodies. Both brands are thicker. More variance from theories in thickness but still a big supporter of the brand.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Jewel Runner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2023, 08:01:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

They are simple hoodies (I have this https://zozo.jp/sp/shop/freaksstore/goods-sale/59348616/?did=98372572&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=2006_PLA_pmax and the same one in gray) but they’re so warm and heavy. They feel good quality. I don’t know where is the brand from but I hope they’re available worldwide

Yo that hoodie looks great!!

I searched for it on their website and couldn't find it... they're a bit pricey but they look good and durable and the fit seems good too

vacakaka

• Rep: 1
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2023, 08:53:17 AM »
We talking Magenta...

Im very curious about quality of tee's and pants. How's the thickness and fit, anyone got insights on this ?

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 539
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2023, 12:07:50 PM »
Polar t-shirts are a nice thickness of cotton and fit too. Wish I could just get blanks of them

Buy one with a pocket and get yourself a thread picker, they seem to go on sale a fair bit

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2023, 03:28:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Polar t-shirts are a nice thickness of cotton and fit too. Wish I could just get blanks of them
[close]

Buy one with a pocket and get yourself a thread picker, they seem to go on sale a fair bit

I used to do this...seam ripper and bye bye useless ass t-shirt pocket...who the fork uses them now that smoking is so frowned upon.

Twig88

• Rep: 10
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2023, 03:49:08 PM »
We talking Magenta...

Im very curious about quality of tee's and pants. How's the thickness and fit, anyone got insights on this ?

I've had a few bits of Magenta stuff, all has been good. The jeans have held up good, t-shirts great, I would say normal thickness for skate clothes but have lasted well. I find some of the fits a little snug (I buy large mostly, vs medium in Polar).

Poetic Collective also have some lovely stuff.

Yakusoku2

« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2023, 09:55:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I searched for it on their website and couldn't find it... they're a bit pricey but they look good and durable and the fit seems good too

Here is the same one! https://www.daytona-park.com/category/2_NAUTICA/1023207500522.html?FREAKSSTORE_ITEMPROPERTY_CD=_13 but I think they’re available in Japanese stores only?

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1394
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2023, 11:44:50 AM »
Arborwear makes wicked hoodies. Big pockets, oversized hood, button neck if you want that. Very high quality shit
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Jewel Runner

• Rep: 101
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2023, 03:41:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Here is the same one! https://www.daytona-park.com/category/2_NAUTICA/1023207500522.html?FREAKSSTORE_ITEMPROPERTY_CD=_13 but I think they’re available in Japanese stores only?

Yeah apparently they only sell those over there...

If I ever end up visiting Japan I'll be sure to bring one of those beauties home

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 768
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2023, 04:37:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah apparently they only sell those over there...

If I ever end up visiting Japan I'll be sure to bring one of those beauties home

they are available internationally, i've found it on the au nautica website, but yeah japan mostly, hard to find. looks amazing, i want one too.
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 256
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2023, 08:08:00 AM »
For shirts, hoodies and hats, I really like Quasi.

I have one of their PE six panel hats and it's amazing. Super comfortable, very cool in summer, good weight. I don't know who makes the blanks for the hat, but it's made in the USA if that's of any value...or concern.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2023, 09:59:22 AM »
Village Psychic had an article on this band Sex Hippies and they had some stuff that looked nice. I got a shirt on sale and honestly the quality is horrrrrrrible. There were over a dozen loose threads, stitching is so-so, sizing is also a bit strange.

Skate brand wise Pass~Port is usually great, my Polar stuff that I still own has been pretty good (I only buy shirts from them these days never pants), and I cannot recommend Dime. Their fabrics always feel stiff and blocky.

Cranberry Relish

• Rep: 25
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2023, 10:29:52 AM »
Really love my DIME stuff.  Best quality stuff in my opinion and worth the cost.  Polar Denim is dog doo-doo in my opinion.  I've seen the same quality doo-doo denim at Costco for $20.  (Though I really like the fit of the 93' cords, cord quality of those feels cheap thought to be honest.)  I have some Magenta denim for a couple years now that are thin, but good. Did have a Magenta Fleece thing which was absolutely horrible, sizing and quality.  I think Theories "cut & sew" probably has the worst quality stuff by far.  Have bought a many Theories things in the past couple years, and the quality just always feels like dog doo-doo.  Beware. Also want to say, Passport things I have are very good. 

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2023, 11:00:17 AM »
I guess I should ask the question are we saying for the price? A lot of you guys are saying DIME and POLAR and those brands are well over $150 CAD for a pair of jeans. I have never paid that much for pants in my life, and then go skate in them and slam and make a hole in them. they are not made of some indestructable denim. the fact that dime and polar stuff never sells out does tell me its not garbage and sought after, but that also means it will also rarely / never go on sale. I could never justify spending that much. so this goes out to the poor people out there.

I have worn Dickies for 20+ years, but the quality has definitely dropped off in the past few years, and the price has gone massively up since they started this skate stuff. They shrink like crazy. i cant recommend them anymore.

I got a pair of pants from Brixton, VANS, and Grand Trading all for around $30-40 and the quality of Brixton was clear as day better than those other 2. The Grand pants were meant to MSRP at $130 or something wild like that, were 70% off (all of this stuff was on clear out). I slammed really hard on the Brixton pants and no hole was made. incredible pants, well worth the money, reminds me of what skate gear used to be like.

gonna try carhartt next seems like great stuff good value and looks awesome. reviews all across the board have been positive as far as i can tell. have to keep my eye open for sales.

roba

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2023, 03:42:07 AM »
Polar Denim is dog doo-doo in my opinion.  I've seen the same quality doo-doo denim at Costco for $20.

serious question - what denim do you think is good quality? doesn't have to be a skate brand. i've got two pairs of the 93s and they feel better compared to brands like levis, lee or wrangler. they use a softer, more comfortable yet thick and durable fabric, i've skated the light blue pair for over a year now and they're still good for skating in, obviously the legs are torn at the bottoms thanks to the griptape but this happens with all pants in my experience. i've never had higher end jeans like nudie (similar price range i think and i've heard good stuff about them) or acne (they're sick but you can get 3 pairs of polars for the price if you buy them new).

the fit is also a major part of me liking em so much, they're perfect for my thick ass legs and just as baggy as i need them. i just feel good wearing them and i don't even like polar like that, like i wouldn't buy a board. dickies are tight at the hips for me most of the time unless i go like 2 sizes too big in the waist.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2023, 06:13:20 AM by roba »
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

LebowskisRug

« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2023, 06:28:31 AM »
I've had lots of denim from low to high price and for a long time would buy raw denim and wear it for years. I don't buy it anymore but have some Nudies I just got and the quality usually is in the consistency of measurements, the stitching, and the denim itself. The denim is usually a tighter weave for the given weight a the sewing is more consistent.

With Polar the measurements wouldn't be consistent within and across drops. The stitching wouldn't always be parallel or very tight and the denim was often thicker/looser weave. There's also poorly thought out small details like one pair of my 93 had really small pockets and the belt loops were a bit too large (stuck out) and spaced awkwardly. The zippers are also kinda low quality and for a specific type of fit they don't seem to think dimensions through. The rise on a few of my 93 was low for the style of fit, which reduced crotch mobility. My friend bought a pair and one leg was about about 3/8" shorter than the other.

Levi is pretty inconsistent these days too. Supposedly if you order or buy at a store it's a different quality than ordering online. The premium designation tends to at feel better and be more consistent, but it's not huge.

Thebird

• Rep: 158
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2023, 06:32:21 AM »
I've had lots of denim from low to high price and for a long time would buy raw denim and wear it for years. I don't buy it anymore but have some Nudies I just got and the quality usually is in the consistency of measurements, the stitching, and the denim itself. The denim is usually a tighter weave for the given weight a the sewing is more consistent.

With Polar the measurements wouldn't be consistent within and across drops. The stitching wouldn't always be parallel or very tight and the denim was often thicker/looser weave. There's also poorly thought out small details like one pair of my 93 had really small pockets and the belt loops were a bit too large (stuck out) and spaced awkwardly. The zippers are also kinda low quality and for a specific type of fit they don't seem to think dimensions through. The rise on a few of my 93 was low for the style of fit, which reduced crotch mobility. My friend bought a pair and one leg was about about 3/8" shorter than the other.

Levi is pretty inconsistent these days too. Supposedly if you order or buy at a store it's a different quality than ordering online. The premium designation tends to at feel better and be more consistent, but it's not huge.

I find Levi's to be terrible the past few years, not necessarily in quality, but I'll buy three pairs of Jeans, same style, same size, and get three different lengths.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2023, 07:00:13 AM »
Edward Sebastian

roba

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2023, 08:36:58 AM »

the part about polar's sizing is true, the two pairs i have are from different drops, one is made in poland, one is made in portugal, they do fit different, but it's a very slight difference. i have tried on pairs from other drops and the cargos for example fit way smaller, the 34s fit like 32 denims. the latest drop of jeans feels a tiny, tiny bit larger than the older drops, but for the most part the polar denims i've seen were pretty consistent. i can't speak on the drops from before ~summer 21, whatever i'm talking about is after that. never seen a pair with a shorter leg, but i don't doubt it, that happened to me before on some polo pants.

i see what you mean with the looser weave, but i think that makes them more "flowy", as in not as stiff, which should make them better for skating in, no?

oh and the polar pants are going to be like $20-30 more starting with the summer 24 drop i believe.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Cranberry Relish

• Rep: 25
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2023, 08:56:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Polar Denim is dog doo-doo in my opinion.  I've seen the same quality doo-doo denim at Costco for $20.
[close]

serious question - what denim do you think is good quality? doesn't have to be a skate brand. i've got two pairs of the 93s and they feel better compared to brands like levis, lee or wrangler. they use a softer, more comfortable yet thick and durable fabric, i've skated the light blue pair for over a year now and they're still good for skating in, obviously the legs are torn at the bottoms thanks to the griptape but this happens with all pants in my experience. i've never had higher end jeans like nudie (similar price range i think and i've heard good stuff about them) or acne (they're sick but you can get 3 pairs of polars for the price if you buy them new).

the fit is also a major part of me liking em so much, they're perfect for my thick ass legs and just as baggy as i need them. i just feel good wearing them and i don't even like polar like that, like i wouldn't buy a board. dickies are tight at the hips for me most of the time unless i go like 2 sizes too big in the waist.

I too have big ass legs and the Polar pants fit me better than most.  93' Cords have been some of my favorites in regards to fit and I have a thing for corduroy.  The quality of the Polar denim feels nearly identical to these $20 Kirkland Jeans I used to buy from Costco. Almost too loose knit and scratchy feeling on my skin.

A good pair of denim jeans that I recently bought and that I really like are these Levi's "Baggy".

https://www.levi.com/US/en_US/clothing/men/jeans/relaxed/levis-skate-baggy-5-pocket-mens-jeans/p/A23160005

In my opinion, the quality is very good.  I would say the fit is similar to Polar 93's, not exactly but close.  I did buy these in store.   

slapattack

• Rep: 14
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2023, 11:35:04 AM »
My list of favorites have all pretty much been mentioned so far. However, I would say Hardbody (Arches global blanks) and Dancer are my two favs. Also Carhartt WIP are the only pants to buy especially the OG fit and Brandon Jeans which are super baggy. The single/double knee WIP pants fit slimmer than mainline and Im not a fan.

Bill Salt

« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2023, 05:16:18 AM »
Vans pants are good and strong.

DERBY

• Rep: 254
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2023, 05:28:14 AM »
Carpet co, dime mtl, polar skate co, dancer, passport, quasi, magenta, theories, FA/hockey bottoms

Damn I buy a lot of clothes lol

spot on with this list

punkandyo hoodies are the shit too

DERBY

• Rep: 254
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2023, 05:31:30 AM »
i’m nitpickin but polars rattly ass button closures and compact tight belt loops get annoying. other than that the fabrics are quality