Author Topic: Fuck truck sizing  (Read 2017 times)

Ant

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 28
Re: Fuck truck sizing
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2024, 07:40:18 AM »
They give the hanger width. Should be all we need and probably better than axle width anyway. 54mm Conical full on Ace classic 55s is 8.75 outside wheel to outside wheel. 9 inch axle width is kind of irrelevant.

rikki

• Rep: 207
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2024, 07:46:59 AM »
They give the hanger width. Should be all we need and probably better than axle width anyway. 54mm Conical full on Ace classic 55s is 8.75 outside wheel to outside wheel. 9 inch axle width is kind of irrelevant.

I disagree. The axle width is the most relevant thing. I want to know if my axle/board ratio results in magic carpet or hot rod by default. I wouldn't use a 9.0 axle with an 8.5 truck even if the outside wheel is "only" at 8.75.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2024, 07:50:33 AM »
when you lay the board on its side with a ace 55, indy 149 etc. with a 8.5" deck, it will be perfectly on its side, that makes the most sense to me
it feels like its maybe SLIGHTLY hot rodding at this size the tiniest bit...
ONTARIO CANADA

disclosed

• Rep: 166
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2024, 10:54:50 AM »

hard disagree. you know the 9" axle will give you that 8.75 outer wheel to outer wheel. so the axle is perfectly valid measurement to list. and it saves me having to do the math on how much more my inner bearing to outer wheel edge will add to the axle measurement to know the size like you said it.. thats just insane.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 602
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2024, 11:23:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

hard disagree. you know the 9" axle will give you that 8.75 outer wheel to outer wheel. so the axle is perfectly valid measurement to list. and it saves me having to do the math on how much more my inner bearing to outer wheel edge will add to the axle measurement to know the size like you said it.. thats just insane.
Doesn't make any sense to me. So you'd be perfectly happy with a 149mm hanger as long as the axle is 9"? That would just be an 8.5 truck with a stupid long axle. How does the axle length influence your skating in any way whatsoever? The hanger width decides where your wheels are, the axle width doesn't.

disclosed

• Rep: 166
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2024, 11:33:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Doesn't make any sense to me. So you'd be perfectly happy with a 149mm hanger as long as the axle is 9"? That would just be an 8.5 truck with a stupid long axle. How does the axle length influence your skating in any way whatsoever? The hanger width decides where your wheels are, the axle width doesn't.

i did not say that and you know that doesn't exist so it stupid to even make that argument. exposed axle is allways the same on any brand (maybe a mm off). its made to perfectly fit the avarage wheel.
axle width is closer to where your wheels will sit than the hanger width, so it's much easier to figure out the size you need/want.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1067
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2024, 04:10:09 PM »
hanger size is more relevant than most think.
looking at older indys that i have, the axles are super short.
ace classics have long axles, compared to the hangers. i realize that i am stating this, firmly, and i donít have the stats to back it up. but the ace classic 55s have a lot of axle, in my memory.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 213
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2024, 04:42:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Exactly. Who cares how long the axle is. It is the hanger width that defines how far apart the wheels sit.

Edit: Also second what OK said. Different companies may use different axle lenghts past the hanger. Correct on the ACE lenghts.
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 602
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2024, 05:26:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

i did not say that and you know that doesn't exist so it stupid to even make that argument. exposed axle is allways the same on any brand (maybe a mm off). its made to perfectly fit the avarage wheel.
axle width is closer to where your wheels will sit than the hanger width, so it's much easier to figure out the size you need/want.
Unfortunately that's not the case. I regretted my ace AF1 44, that are marketed as an 8.25 truck because of their 8.25 axle, but the hanger is thinner than any other 8.25 truck. I think it was only 140mm instead of 144mm. Feels like an 8" truck.
Made me get the 55s and those are great but I feel tricked. Ace seems to make stupid long axles in general.

jimgrude

• Rep: 66
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2024, 05:50:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Unfortunately that's not the case. I regretted my ace AF1 44, that are marketed as an 8.25 truck because of their 8.25 axle, but the hanger is thinner than any other 8.25 truck. I think it was only 140mm instead of 144mm. Feels like an 8" truck.
Made me get the 55s and those are great but I feel tricked. Ace seems to make stupid long axles in general.

Can confirm. The amount of exposed axle can differ significantly between brands and models. Yeah, I was also thinking about getting AF1 44s until I checked the specifics of the axle vs hanger. The 55 is much closer to what I want, and I would have been pissed if they tricked me into buying the wrong one.

People who say they only care about axle width, actually don't care that much, or they just have madness about whether they can see the axles sticking out, or how the board sits in primo position. For anyone who actually needs to know where their hangers and wheels are in order to lock into grinds or whatever, hanger width is the only measurement that makes a difference.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2024, 06:46:05 PM »
when you lay the board on its side with a ace 55, indy 149 etc. with a 8.5" deck, it will be perfectly on its side, that makes the most sense to me
it feels like its maybe SLIGHTLY hot rodding at this size the tiniest bit...

Thank you for your charts from the previous page.

Just from this post, I know you know, but Ace AF1 55 (8.5), not Classic 55 (9.0) just in case anyone else got confused, as others were talking about Classic 9" axles, but yeah, any of those Indy 149, Thunder 149, Ace AF1 55, Venture 5.8 trucks are just right on my 8.5 boards with fairly normal to wide wheels.  I also run them on my usual 8.38 sized boards, which also work really well, still with no wheels stick out while looking down on the board or feeling too wide.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Can confirm. The amount of exposed axle can differ significantly between brands and models. Yeah, I was also thinking about getting AF1 44s until I checked the specifics of the axle vs hanger. The 55 is much closer to what I want, and I would have been pissed if they tricked me into buying the wrong one.

People who say they only care about axle width, actually don't care that much, or they just have madness about whether they can see the axles sticking out, or how the board sits in primo position. For anyone who actually needs to know where their hangers and wheels are in order to lock into grinds or whatever, hanger width is the only measurement that makes a difference.

For all the conversations about axle length compared to hanger length, yes there are often differences, Ace hangers being shorter with thicker washers when compared to almost every other truck brand of the same overall width / listed size, but then the question to all of you from the previous posts, do you make up for this with additional washers or not?

I usually run most trucks with three washers on the inside on fairly normal wheels, but on Ace I have fit up to five washers and still had some play with the nut on nicely.  Of course this makes the axle to hanger end look less than appealing, unless I have something like those bigger or wider wheels, such as Radial Full or Lock In Full wheels, as they do tend to sit in a bit more and cover the washers.  It doesn't affect the use of the truck at all, but when I had the Ace trucks set up with more normal sized wheels, I would often look at them and think that looks weird.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Rick Trapasso

• Rep: 36
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2024, 07:45:16 PM »
I remember learning sometime in middle or highschool that the Indy naming scheme referred to the hanger width (not axle) and thinking "wow, that's dumb. Who cares about hanger width?"

I still feel the exact same way 15-20 years later.

rikki

• Rep: 207
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2024, 11:59:38 PM »
The hanger width can be compensated for with washers, if needed. This is what I do, I always want my axle nuts sitting flush. Hence, I don't really care that much about the stock hanger width. Axle width is always what it is and you can't do anything about it.

swongolianbbq

• Rep: 33
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2024, 02:33:31 AM »
 Here's some shit I wrote down a couple months ago

Truck to board sizing

One washer inside vs. two washers inside for the deck sizes

(Possible to reduce Frankenstein effect by cutting 1/16" off each axle end and using one washer inside, one out)

60mm wheels(.25 - .125 difference):

8.75" trucks = 8.5 or 8.625
9" trucks = 8.75 or 8.875
9.125" trucks = 8.875 or 9

~55mm wheels(.375 - .25 difference)

8.25" trucks = 7.875 or 8
8.375" trucks = 8 or 8.125
8.5" trucks = 8.125 or 8.25
8.75" trucks = 8.375 or 8.5
9" trucks = 8.625 or 8.75
9.125" trucks = 8.75 or 8.875

50mm wheels or lower(.5 - .375 difference)

7.625" trucks = 7.125 or 7.25
7.75" trucks = 7.25 or 7.375
8" trucks = 7.5 or 7.625
8.25" trucks = 7.75 or 7.875
8.375" trucks = 7.875 or 8
8.5" trucks = 8 or 8.125
8.75" trucks = 8.25 or 8.375

Blue eagle 8.5
Black eagle 8.125

Baker 8.125
Baker 8.25

"Support" or "thread" would be great brand names honestly

swongolianbbq

• Rep: 33
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2024, 02:37:28 AM »
I think I did those tests with conical fulls, you can prolly skate an 8 on cut down af1 55's with classic wheels

Also my beater/winter/filmer/crusty spot board is an 8.25 Powell carbon fiber guy, but it measures 8.375. bakers measure true. Anti hero blue eagle is probably the best skateboard available

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 273
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2024, 02:56:50 AM »
The hanger width can be compensated for with washers, if needed. This is what I do, I always want my axle nuts sitting flush. Hence, I don't really care that much about the stock hanger width. Axle width is always what it is and you can't do anything about it.

Yup, i always put 2 washers on the inside and 1 outside.. For that wee bit extra grinding space.. Nuts is always flush with the axle..

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2024, 08:23:35 AM »
thats an interesting point about the hangar width being different on different brands. i never really noticed it too much but i can see how that would change what wheel you would put on it. the main reason i run 8.25" axle trucks is because i skate a lot of curbs with grass on the other side and i find running fat trucks you overshoot into the grass and muddy up your bearings and the spot. I actually almost got Ace 44s instead of Thunder 148s but to be honest i might not have minded it because i think the turning would be quite good and would probably be even better for the overshoot thing.
ONTARIO CANADA

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 911
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2024, 11:24:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yup, i always put 2 washers on the inside and 1 outside.. For that wee bit extra grinding space.. Nuts is always flush with the axle..

I've actually stopped using outside speed ring, the axle nut sits on the inner race just fine. This also gives me more room on the inside if I need it when running thinner wheels like a V3.