Author Topic: What are some of the worst trends in the history of skateboarding?  (Read 7339 times)

yeahhoe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -27
Re: What are some of the worst trends in the history of skateboarding?
« Reply #90 on: October 21, 2023, 06:29:23 AM »
Pom Pom Beanies

Ricky Vaughn

• Rep: 265
« Reply #91 on: October 21, 2023, 01:05:43 PM »
Tight pants

change my mind
Tell the world to eat my dick
I’m a prick motherfucker
Life Hell Tough shit
I’m the bic motherfucker

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 968
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #92 on: October 21, 2023, 01:47:28 PM »
Graffiti on spots. Fuck that.

I couldn't agree more.

If it's abd sure but if it's a clean ass chill spot everyone skates then no

Plz go elsewhere and paint. There's no fame to be got from  it and we're probably going to lose the spot.

Go fuckin paint the Newbury Street Alleys like all the other nerds do when they first start getting up in the city.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #93 on: October 21, 2023, 01:53:06 PM »
I will say that Atlas Piece on the ledge I'd be living at if I was out west helped that one spot.

It is Atlas that were talking about tho. That cat was a real one.

I dislike a lotta popular styles
« Last Edit: October 21, 2023, 07:56:30 PM by Uncle Flea »
(A)pl(E)

nineLives

• Rep: -5
« Reply #94 on: October 21, 2023, 03:08:14 PM »
BRIGHT COLORED CAMO PANTS IN 2017

Groondor the Orc

• Rep: -103
  • Doper than Joey Bast’s shelltoes
« Reply #95 on: October 21, 2023, 03:39:48 PM »
Self filming.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #96 on: October 21, 2023, 03:44:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Street plants were a huge deal at one time, people looked real stupid standing still in parking lots trying to look like their favorite 80s vert pros.
[close]

hi. you are wrong

I’d say @Jorge is right. The only pass with those is if you did them yo-yo. Aka you roll into it and your feet never leave the board going into them. Those can stay. The standing and then going into them can and should always be frowned upon.
Oh, anyone mention the JimmyZ chefs hats yet? Those were pretty bad but not sure if they were an actual trend or just something Hosoi and Cab we’re getting paid to push.

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 292
« Reply #97 on: October 21, 2023, 03:52:19 PM »
I will say that Atlas Piece on the ledge I'd be living at if I was out west helped that one spot.

I fuckin hate those west coast chewed bubble gum letters with all the whips and drips.

Intentional drips is fucking weak ass camouflage for a lack of lettering fundamentals.

Like that one guy who does all those shitty movie billboards.

Pretty fill and effects. Letters like a drunk kindergartener.

You are no Saber AWR.
i kinda agree with you here, some of that stuff is cool to look at on a technical level but i hate the LA style illegible spooky horror shit, like buge, augor, saute etc

Brad Wesley

• Rep: 31
« Reply #98 on: October 21, 2023, 06:12:01 PM »
Monster truck ass wheels, anything above about 56 mm.
You do not need to bring 60mm formula fours to the skatepark and you sure as shit don't skate street or rough street at that.

If it's a park like Burnside I can see why someone would ride 58s or 60s. You get more speed from drop-ins and retain it a little longer. But yeah, at sizes above 60 you're just risking a catastrophic wheel bite moment.

00s era of skating.
Axion type of shoes
Sex/rat bolts
Bridge bolts

They're a pain to install, but sex bolts are actually useful. Regular wood screws get ripped out of the deck if you boardslide anything moderately chunky and then you're left with annoying rail rattle.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #99 on: October 21, 2023, 06:33:30 PM »
Everyone thought skinny jeans were stupid while it was happening even if they were actively participating in it.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #100 on: October 21, 2023, 07:20:45 PM »
My regular setup is 8.25 with 54mm wheels that i let wear down until they're in the high 40mms.

But, I have for the last 11/12 years also had an 8.5 or 9 with 60mm wheels as a backup setup/trying to skate vert/forced chill board and sometimes it's such a pleasure to ride such big wheels. I have a lot of lot for 60mm wheels. You think you're gonna chill, but I always end up skating just as hard but in a different sort of way to my usual skating.
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

skatebruh

• Rep: 30
« Reply #101 on: October 21, 2023, 07:46:39 PM »
Self filming.
Asking someone you don't know to film you.

I came here to skate. I have only so many hours on this earth, and I have a job that takes way too many of them. I'm not filming you try a trick for an hour.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #102 on: October 21, 2023, 07:57:30 PM »
Expand Quote

I fuckin hate those west coast chewed bubble gum letters with all the whips and drips.

Intentional drips is fucking weak ass camouflage for a lack of lettering fundamentals.

You are no Saber AWR.
[close]
i kinda agree with you here, some of that stuff is cool to look at on a technical level but i hate the LA style illegible spooky horror shit, like buge, augor, saute etc
Augor throws are sick af tho

I like Rime. Mostly his canvases. They blow my mind actually. I didn't think other people thought about shit like that too.

He is insane for sure. Or he's gotten there before or looked at insanity cuz he can paint it so well I can hear the sound it makes when I look at his work.

I wish I could do that. I did it once. The homie spaz has the piece. It's on the back of a canvas because I had nothing to capture it with.

Risk.

I'm like pretty regional taste guy.

Also I feel like that style was created in like Birmingham not really LA.

Those big la crews like collect and curate styles when new dudes join. Maybe some of them are from the land of whips and drips. It definitely fits the areas natural environment in the south.

LA is supposed to be like diamondy shaped and really 3d. Kinda new schooly characters and bright colours.

Mere meat cbs. 3d shit.

VOX CBS is my guy for sure. I feel like that's what LA graffiti is supposed to look like. Best fill in style in the history of all graffiti
« Last Edit: October 21, 2023, 08:23:22 PM by Uncle Flea »
(A)pl(E)

Shuh

• Rep: 3
« Reply #103 on: October 21, 2023, 08:05:00 PM »
Everyone thought skinny jeans were stupid while it was happening even if they were actively participating in it.

And its not coming back because Normies trying to hold on to their youths are still wearing it and are mostly assholes.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #104 on: October 21, 2023, 08:37:55 PM »

This is my second Graff mag.

VOX CBS  urban autograph. Someone frickin ripped the corner of the big vox piece

I got I'll mags tho. Crazy kings. Wyws, scribbl

You ever see one of these?

$$$$$ Bates book mint condition $$$$$
(A)pl(E)

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #105 on: October 21, 2023, 08:44:01 PM »
Expand Quote
You do not need to bring 60mm formula fours to the skatepark and you sure as shit don't skate street or rough street at that.
[close]

If it's a park like Burnside I can see why someone would ride 58s or 60s. You get more speed from drop-ins and retain it a little longer. But yeah, at sizes above 60 you're just risking a catastrophic wheel bite moment.

I’ve known a bunch of rippers who skate big wheels but it’s a different tempo of skating. For a while I was skating 58s on big transition and it’s weird because you keep speed with low effort and can kind of throw yourself up stuff without having to go as fast.

It’s dogshit when you want to ollie off flat though.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #106 on: October 21, 2023, 09:01:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I’ve known a bunch of rippers who skate big wheels but it’s a different tempo of skating. For a while I was skating 58s on big transition and it’s weird because you keep speed with low effort and can kind of throw yourself up stuff without having to go as fast.

I can't go below 54mm. I get killed skating around here. The ground is so bad I still get stuck in cracks I'm on 58mm dragons.

I don't gotta run to throw down and do something like Ollie the crosswalk. I can kick high pushing two ee eye ee ice and boom I boned one over the flat gap.

I know that unless you're trying to flip in flip out or youre just skating the plaza everyday you need big wheels.

They don't gotta be wide or heavy. Just tall.

I never miss a lock in on a flat bar because I got tall skinny wheels with square edges.

The bounce sucks tho. and I was just reminded that dragons try to push the bearings out the seats. Kinda sucks. I wouldn't care if I wasn't running kick ass ceramic bearings.

Next month I'm just copping something. Orchard has some options.

The biggest hardest squarest wheel I can get.

It's tough because I really want those bones 99s with the monster truck on them. Shop ain't got um tho.

Bones blowing it lol.

I'm tempted to try t bones. I like Tony

They got like 57.5 lock ins I been looking at but I had buy shoes. I can hit cracks for a few more weeks.

Brb I want to show pals something else cool
(A)pl(E)

Dustgod

• Rep: 0
« Reply #107 on: October 22, 2023, 06:53:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I can't go below 54mm. I get killed skating around here. The ground is so bad I still get stuck in cracks I'm on 58mm dragons.

I don't gotta run to throw down and do something like Ollie the crosswalk. I can kick high pushing two ee eye ee ice and boom I boned one over the flat gap.

I know that unless you're trying to flip in flip out or youre just skating the plaza everyday you need big wheels.

They don't gotta be wide or heavy. Just tall.

I never miss a lock in on a flat bar because I got tall skinny wheels with square edges.

The bounce sucks tho. and I was just reminded that dragons try to push the bearings out the seats. Kinda sucks. I wouldn't care if I wasn't running kick ass ceramic bearings.

Next month I'm just copping something. Orchard has some options.

The biggest hardest squarest wheel I can get.

It's tough because I really want those bones 99s with the monster truck on them. Shop ain't got um tho.

Bones blowing it lol.

I'm tempted to try t bones. I like Tony

They got like 57.5 lock ins I been looking at but I had buy shoes. I can hit cracks for a few more weeks.

Brb I want to show pals something else cool

I switched to classic formula 4’s 54mm but 97 duro. The ground is ass round my way too but this switch has put me slightly more at ease
Nice to meet you, I’m a artis

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #108 on: October 22, 2023, 11:55:34 PM »
Gangster clothing. In the late '80s, kids from Venice wore Ben Davis (Dickies if you wanted to look like a crip), Chuck Taylors, white tee shirts, and Raiders Starter caps. Pants and shirt not pressed and no rag so actual gangsters knew they weren't one of them.

Most of my original skate friends were already morphing into gangbangers, but I think we dressed like that because we were embarrassed to fully embrace our identity as skateboarders.

Pbn_jake

• Rep: 30
« Reply #109 on: October 23, 2023, 01:57:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Self filming.
[close]
Asking someone you don't know to film you.

I came here to skate. I have only so many hours on this earth, and I have a job that takes way too many of them. I'm not filming you try a trick for an hour.

Couldn’t agree more, if I’m at the spot/park by myself I’ll bust out the tripod/water bottle if I really feel the need to document whatever ultra mediocre trick I’m doing.

On occasion I’ll ask a homie to film me if I’m going for a “banger” and I’m pretty close. But mostly I respect that not everyone has all the time in the world to halt their session and struggle with me, while I’m not paying them.

Bill Salt

« Reply #110 on: October 23, 2023, 05:25:55 AM »
Seen for  fews years now, the trendy key ring attached to Pants loop is pretty fucking dumb especially when ou got just one key.

SwitchNollieHeel

• Rep: -6
« Reply #111 on: October 23, 2023, 06:28:35 AM »
Expand Quote

You are no Saber AWR.
[close]

Sauté doesn’t belong in that convo, more tha just the west coast wild style

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #112 on: October 23, 2023, 06:33:33 AM »
trends where the clothes don't match the weather. beanies, jeans, big shoes in summer or trucker hats in winter. spike belts and military hats was probably not the best look.

Wienerboy

• Rep: -103
  • Hey you're really cool and definitely not a kook
« Reply #113 on: October 23, 2023, 07:41:01 AM »
Those fucking Bam beanies... the ones with a small visor that he always wore and made popular. Can't contain my disdain for those, they're almost worse than fedoras to me.
If my rep is ever an even number, please kindly throw me either a kook or a gnar in order to return me to my odd number equilibrium.

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #114 on: October 23, 2023, 07:59:24 AM »
trends where the clothes don't match the weather. beanies, jeans, big shoes in summer or trucker hats in winter. spike belts and military hats was probably not the best look.

Big ol’ eye roll to the born n bred southern California kids with beanies, no shirt, and jeans. What the heck is that about??

Those fucking Bam beanies... the ones with a small visor that he always wore and made popular. Can't contain my disdain for those, they're almost worse than fedoras to me.

I’m pretty sure it came from snowboarding which makes it even worse, in my opinion. Those mini visors are as useful as the “pockets” on women’s jeans where they can only fit their fingertip.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
« Reply #115 on: October 23, 2023, 08:16:47 AM »

You must not skate any transitions that big? Plenty of places justify this size of wheel. Giant Oregon coastal parks with haggard concrete. And plenty of people have ripped street on those size wheels. Need I mention EE3. They last a long time also.

Flabby cold demeanor

• Rep: -16
« Reply #116 on: October 23, 2023, 11:37:40 AM »
I would just like to add something to the filming complaints raised already.. the worst trend is in fact

Where , for example, someone is flipping over a small rail and filter is right under it, lifts the camera as he flips over then brings it back down.

So many clips ruined because you cannot see the whole obstacle or get a sense of perspective.

They never did that shit in Mouse

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #117 on: October 23, 2023, 12:09:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

You are no Saber AWR.
[close]
[close]
Augor throws are sick af tho

I like Rime. Mostly his canvases. They blow my mind actually. I didn't think other people thought about shit like that too.

He is insane for sure. Or he's gotten there before or looked at insanity cuz he can paint it so well I can hear the sound it makes when I look at his work.

I wish I could do that. I did it once. The homie spaz has the piece. It's on the back of a canvas because I had nothing to capture it with.

Risk.

I'm like pretty regional taste guy.

Also I feel like that style was created in like Birmingham not really LA.

Those big la crews like collect and curate styles when new dudes join. Maybe some of them are from the land of whips and drips. It definitely fits the areas natural environment in the south.

LA is supposed to be like diamondy shaped and really 3d. Kinda new schooly characters and bright colours.

Mere meat cbs. 3d shit.

VOX CBS is my guy for sure. I feel like that's what LA graffiti is supposed to look like. Best fill in style in the history of all graffiti

Grew up on Cali graffiti, started mainly with bay area artists like Doze.  I think when Mear and Saber came out a lot of people started copying their style, I started seeing those compositional type pieces and 3d lettering, really started seeing it a lot with German artists in the 2000s.   

At one point I got into stencils around 2002 and found out about bansky from internet forums when his shit first started popping up, when he got trendy around 2008 i sorta stopped following graffiti.   I see mostly tags and characters nowadays on freeway signs and bridges, saw this dudes work a lot  https://endlesscanvas.com/?tag=girafa

Mallie

• Rep: 37
« Reply #118 on: October 23, 2023, 12:10:19 PM »
I would just like to add something to the filming complaints raised already.. the worst trend is in fact

Where , for example, someone is flipping over a small rail and filter is right under it, lifts the camera as he flips over then brings it back down.

So many clips ruined because you cannot see the whole obstacle or get a sense of perspective.

They never did that shit in Mouse

Chi vive in baracca, chi suda il salario,
Chi ruba pensioni, chi ha scarsa memoria,
Chi ha crisi interiori, chi scava nei cuori,
Chi legge la mano, chi regna sovrano,
Chi suda, chi lotta, chi mangia una volta,
Chi gli manca la casa, chi vive da solo,
Chi trova scontato, chi come ha trovato...

emotional_degloving

• Rep: 44
« Reply #119 on: October 23, 2023, 04:06:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You must not skate any transitions that big? Plenty of places justify this size of wheel. Giant Oregon coastal parks with haggard concrete. And plenty of people have ripped street on those size wheels. Need I mention EE3. They last a long time also.

I'm reading the responses I got and yeah I think it's a location to location thing. I live in manchester UK, the city's built like a skatepark and while there is a lot of crusty spots there's nothing really warranting monster truck wheels which is why I made 56 the cutoff. There's pretty much no transition/vert scene outside of the indoor skateparks.

I think I've just seen enough people skating smooth as silk flatground with big ass wheels, like no transition or anything and like... watching the struggle