Author Topic: DIY's rule  (Read 680 times)

addie pray

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -465
  • u a whole goofy
DIY's rule
« on: February 21, 2024, 07:33:19 AM »
DIY spaces are my favorite things to skate. the cruddier/jankier the better. i try to find/skate as many as i can, especially when im traveling.

some of my favorites:

foundation (NC)
barriers (VT)
low block (SC)
FDR (duh)

i went to a new-ish one in GA recently but it might be too new to big up...

do you have one near you? do you like it? do you help out? tell me about ur DIY.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 644
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: DIY's rule
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2024, 07:57:06 AM »

nothing special but I really enjoy skating these spots. it was just me and one other guy doing these. no one in my area has any interest in DIY stuff. they are too spoiled by having a skate plaza every 10 km. we have some other stuff at these spots but its just curbs we glued together, stacked up, and ledges we bricked, not sure if youd really call it DIY.
ONTARIO CANADA

krookedjuice

• Rep: 29
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2024, 08:05:19 AM »
Had a small little one with some ledges / rails and some natural gaps in a demolished shopping center that i definitely took for granted.

Cops were happy we stayed down there. then walmart moved in and took it away

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -323
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2024, 08:07:13 AM »
I love diy spots for the simplicity of dork type obstacles. I'm an angry cunt who can't handle skating stairs anymore. The more slappies and low ledge's the happier I am.
Dueces Bitch's

E

• Rep: 11
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2024, 08:37:07 AM »
We had an awesome DIY during peak COVID. I think we built too much stuff quickly which drew more attention to it and one day we showed up and the entire spot including the asphalt ground had been ripped up. RIP.

http://youtu.be/mq1BbgXojrA?si=pViLTBiMWP-iIwwV

gringo_viejo

• Rep: 22
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2024, 06:30:09 PM »
We had an awesome DIY during peak COVID. I think we built too much stuff quickly which drew more attention to it and one day we showed up and the entire spot including the asphalt ground had been ripped up. RIP.

http://youtu.be/mq1BbgXojrA?si=pViLTBiMWP-iIwwV

Dang this is sick. Beautiful work on that little quarter. And is that a marble countertop? Destroying this was the worst kind of vandalism.

lurkluke

• Rep: 142
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2024, 11:19:33 PM »
I've been skating a torn down cement factory. Lots of concrete space and building foundations. When I have time I'm gonna start creating a few obstacles.

The irony of taking new cement to an old cement factory.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 837
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2024, 12:03:32 AM »
Made a few little things and Helped out a bit here and there but wouldn't claim myself a diy guy.
There's a bunch of insane ones around Aus but I'm way too shit to skate the super tight transitions that they seem to favor. I really like having space to breath so a few bits along a pre existing drain spot would be ideal for me.
The train banks from old Pontus videos would have been a dream.

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 717
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2024, 12:06:52 AM »
There is a huge thread here about them:
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=39424.0

frontsideNECKTIE

• Rep: 162
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2024, 10:30:02 AM »
There's a few small DIYs in my town, most of which I've had a hand in building at least pieces of.

Painted Hills - square closed parking lot surrounded by curbs. We've built a tire bump/rainbow curb (called the pierced nipple), a noping bank with a QP in the center that's kinda like a loveseat, few other ramps and rock spots. Best overall DIY spots in town, imo.

The Hive - drainage ditch on the hillside, really tight banks with a few inches of flatbottom. the base layer is a brick spillway that is mad crusty and theres a guard rail between the drainage and the street. We've built a couple pockets and QPs, made a few square yards of skim layer and riding surface. Latest is an extension that sits ~1ft above the lip of the ditch. The spot overall is really hard, but when you find solid lines in the bathtub it's super rewarding

Unnamed New Spot - the foundation and floor of some building. Lots of flat, a 3ft loading dock/upper section, with little diddles on the outside of the foundation. We've added a small ledge and a tire bump/parking block monstrosity.

If for nothing else at all, I hate Tom Knox for what happened here today