Author Topic: Hurricane grinds  (Read 385 times)

goodatmeth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 618
Hurricane grinds
« on: November 09, 2023, 02:22:07 PM »
Anybody got these, how did you learn them? What is the first step to learn both bs and fs hurricanes? It seems insanely dangerous.
Thinking about learning fakie smith grinds on rails first, same grind but less chance of dying? Or switch willies?

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
Re: Hurricane grinds
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2023, 03:35:26 PM »
i would say i have these, for better or worse, since they're kind of an illegal trick at times.  i only do them on ledges, if you can get on the side rather than the top, they are pretty satisfying.

I learned them watching matt rodriguez in tincan folklore.

https://youtu.be/2vuyXmVNa1w?si=g8DucetGVkg-jlin

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2023, 06:40:16 PM »
i would say i have these, for better or worse, since they're kind of an illegal trick at times.  i only do them on ledges, if you can get on the side rather than the top, they are pretty satisfying.

I learned them watching matt rodriguez in tincan folklore.

https://youtu.be/2vuyXmVNa1w?si=g8DucetGVkg-jlin

No tips on hurricanes, but wanted to say thanks for the good memories. Plaza & Twin Towers were always fun.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2023, 07:21:04 PM »
Fakie smith and switch willy aren't exactly the same thing because youd be so far over the other side. It would be like learning switch noseslide to get ready for a blunt slide, might help a tiny bit but really probably not.

Fakie feeble (which is often called fakie hurricane) is prob the one to start with
2:16 has two angles

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1570
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2023, 03:11:10 AM »
Not especially good at that trick personally but I've had some luck with it backside and then frontside before on curbs and ledges and both ways I remember would work best when approached like an alley oop feeble. You probably don't want to think of them as 180's into anything or you might get a few like that but they won't be the locked in kind and feel more like a weird 180 into 50-50, you do want the back truck to catch the edge but it should feel more like an overturned trick, also so you retain wind up for a decent pop out back to regs. Frontside in particular I remember figuring out on a random red painted curb in San Francisco that was slick and slightly banked so at first I would come in almost perpendicular and pretend I was doing a basic feeble on coping, slappy style, eating the grind a little and then pop out back to regs. And then after I got familiar I wasn't scared anymore of achieving getting into the same overturned/backwards feeble position but approaching from the side now and popping into it front board style. Haven't tried one in years, I reckon that's one of those where the obstacle you try it on matters and dictates a few things.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 618
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2023, 10:01:54 AM »
Fakie smith and switch willy aren't exactly the same thing because youd be so far over the other side. It would be like learning switch noseslide to get ready for a blunt slide, might help a tiny bit but really probably not.

Fakie feeble (which is often called fakie hurricane) is prob the one to start with

Great point, thank you. Didn't really have the balls to try this today, instead worked on holding fs feebles forever.
Will be trying it tomorrow. It's so easy in my head, but when I'm in front of the actual rail it seems so hard to commit.
It's safe right? Like the main thing that's gonna happen is I miss the truck and just do a half cab boardslide? That doesn't seem very problematic

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2023, 10:22:05 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Great point, thank you. Didn't really have the balls to try this today, instead worked on holding fs feebles forever.
Will be trying it tomorrow. It's so easy in my head, but when I'm in front of the actual rail it seems so hard to commit.
It's safe right? Like the main thing that's gonna happen is I miss the truck and just do a half cab boardslide? That doesn't seem very problematic
Ive never had the flatbar ability everyone else seems to but I'd say if you can hold a front feeble decently the fakie feeble(fakie hurricane) should be relatively safe. I think the main difference will be with a front feeble it's more likely to stick and the fakie feeble is more likely to zing forwards.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2023, 11:08:23 AM »
It's safe right?

The answer is always... maybe? Missing the lock with the back truck and sliding out on top/ falling back off the ledge straight arm is always a bummer.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2023, 04:16:17 PM »
Not especially good at that trick personally but I've had some luck with it backside and then frontside before on curbs and ledges and both ways I remember would work best when approached like an alley oop feeble. You probably don't want to think of them as 180's into anything or you might get a few like that but they won't be the locked in kind and feel more like a weird 180 into 50-50, you do want the back truck to catch the edge but it should feel more like an overturned trick, also so you retain wind up for a decent pop out back to regs. Frontside in particular I remember figuring out on a random red painted curb in San Francisco that was slick and slightly banked so at first I would come in almost perpendicular and pretend I was doing a basic feeble on coping, slappy style, eating the grind a little and then pop out back to regs. And then after I got familiar I wasn't scared anymore of achieving getting into the same overturned/backwards feeble position but approaching from the side now and popping into it front board style. Haven't tried one in years, I reckon that's one of those where the obstacle you try it on matters and dictates a few things.

Thanks for posting this. Played around with fronts today and they seem like they’re gonna happen soon going at them this way(just a curb but I’ll take it).