Author Topic: Marc Johnson, “Business” person  (Read 30274 times)

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1128
  • What, me worry?
Marc Johnson, “Business” person
« on: November 25, 2023, 01:32:23 PM »
Has anything aged worse than Marc Johnson as the intellectual and business genius?? I hope he’s living his best life but it seems he’s become a recluse, run his company into the ground, and burned a lot of bridges and any goodwill he had in the industry.

If ten years ago someone had told me that Louie and Jerry would both be running businesses more successfully than Marc I don’t think I would have believed it…

turdtastic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 55
Re: Marc Johnson, “Business” person
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2023, 01:35:04 PM »
I still love Marc Johnson

*edit- need to set up my Sock Monkey B&C deck

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 501
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2023, 02:18:22 PM »
He has no business running a company

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2023, 02:46:06 PM »
Has anything aged worse than Marc Johnson as the intellectual and business genius?? I hope he’s living his best life but it seems he’s become a recluse, run his company into the ground, and burned a lot of bridges and any goodwill he had in the industry.

If ten years ago someone had told me that Louie and Jerry would both be running businesses more successfully than Marc I don’t think I would have believed it…

I don’t get why people get such a thrill gloating over his down turn just because of one pretentious thing he said.    He tried a company, but like Koston, BA, Gonz, Rowley, Kalis, SLB and many many others, it didn’t work out.   

If he’s not in the industry so much, it’s probably good for his mental health especially after Carroll was a complete asshole and tried to ruin him (the same Carroll who hasn’t exactly left his previous sponsors with grace).   

He seems to be selling his art on IG and appears content.   He’s not banished to Siberia and wearing a sack cloth and ashes relying on potato ends the village youths throw at him as he ambles along the unpaved roads tin cup in hand.  Sometimes it’s good to get out of the industry

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2023, 02:51:37 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I don’t get why people get such a thrill gloating over his down turn just because of one pretentious thing he said.    He tried a company, but like Koston, BA, Gonz, Rowley, Kalis, SLB and many many others, it didn’t work out.   

If he’s not in the industry so much, it’s probably good for his mental health especially after Carroll was a complete asshole and tried to ruin him (the same Carroll who hasn’t exactly left his previous sponsors with grace).   

He seems to be selling his art on IG and appears content.   He’s not banished to Siberia and wearing a sack cloth and ashes relying on potato ends the village youths throw at him as he ambles along the unpaved roads tin cup in hand.  Sometimes it’s good to get out of the industry

It’s definitely not a gloating thing, more a disappointment thing. As I said, I really hope he is out there living a good life unplugged or whatever. I wanted business and co to succeed and ordered some gear when it was announced, but you hear about people never receiving orders or “buying” art from him and getting ghosted, Marc’s girlfriend having to communicate after the fact. It all seems bad.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2023, 03:09:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

It’s definitely not a gloating thing, more a disappointment thing. As I said, I really hope he is out there living a good life unplugged or whatever. I wanted business and co to succeed and ordered some gear when it was announced, but you hear about people never receiving orders or “buying” art from him and getting ghosted, Marc’s girlfriend having to communicate after the fact. It all seems bad.

I apologize for misinterpretation, but MJ is one of my faves and people usually are too harsh on him on here.   

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2023, 03:15:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I apologize for misinterpretation, but MJ is one of my faves and people usually are too harsh on him on here.

Me to Marc

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2023, 03:20:15 PM »
I'll always love Marc.

If I lived near by I'd go ask him to chill rn
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 656
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2023, 03:27:43 PM »
I'm an MJ fan and the few times we've interacted he's been nice to me so I'm biased in his favor.

I feel his company would have had a better chance if the name were something that didn't break google and if he had a younger person there to keep track of orders and manage things a bit better.

From the outside, the situation reminds me of one of those Gordon Ramsey episodes where the food is awesome but the chef doesn't like the day-to-day aspects of running a restaurant.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 220
  • sup dog
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2023, 03:29:56 PM »
What did he do that was so egregious?

I was out of the loop from 2008 to about 2017.  Best I heard was that he flamed out real bright and had a really bad breakup with Lakai. Then went to Adidas, gave many diatribes about the shoe company actually taking care of their riders.

Then disappeared to the mountains to do creative artist “fuck the world” living. Sounds like maybe he’s where he wants to be? Or not… life is a crazy journey that only makes sense in hindsight.

Just hope he’s sober after hearing about his backstory on nine club, and doing okay.
Another brand new account coming in on some absolute fuck shit

theextrabanana

• Rep: -134
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2023, 04:01:51 PM »
fuck this thread mj is the goat

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 726
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2023, 04:08:03 PM »

I feel like every new company effort Kris Markovich has championed has been pretty lackluster.  More like Kris Marc-ovich I suppose…

Michael V too. 

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 524
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2023, 04:43:59 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Far too level headed response to a shitpost thread from a renowned shitposter

Hey Bart

Fuk u
« Last Edit: November 25, 2023, 05:57:45 PM by TracersOnlyfans »
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2023, 04:57:01 PM »
What did he do that was so egregious?

I was out of the loop from 2008 to about 2017.  Best I heard was that he flamed out real bright and had a really bad breakup with Lakai. Then went to Adidas, gave many diatribes about the shoe company actually taking care of their riders.

Then disappeared to the mountains to do creative artist “fuck the world” living. Sounds like maybe he’s where he wants to be? Or not… life is a crazy journey that only makes sense in hindsight.

Just hope he’s sober after hearing about his backstory on nine club, and doing okay.

From what I remember: apparently he was out of contract with Lakai, but because they hadn’t sold all his pro models yet, he agreed to delay announcing being on Adidas.   He delayed it and delayed it, but I guess with Away Days premiering, he wanted to be included and chose to “spring it” on the Crail guys and not give them notice.    So Carroll calls up Jenkem and scorches him and kicks him off Chocolate for “fucking” them over

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2023, 04:57:29 PM »
I can see him in krooked

Isn’t his son Avery on Krooked?

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2023, 04:59:23 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Whats the story here?

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2023, 05:05:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Whats the story here?

Jenkem interview where he kicked him off chocolate. Believe he also sent him all his unsold shoes to his hous. COD with a giant dildo. No Vaseline.

https://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2016/05/17/mike-carroll-on-the-future-of-crailtap/
« Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 03:18:45 AM by Big Baby Jesus »
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Yonnycage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2023, 05:09:31 PM »
Jesus it feels like yesterday we had that gigantic thread on the 1st page. Fuck me I gotta sit down and have some wine.

GS77

• Rep: 94
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2023, 05:18:40 PM »
MC shitting on MJ was Crail’s…

Moment.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2023, 05:29:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Whats the story here?
[close]

Jensen interview where he kicked him off chocolate. Believe he also sent him all his unsold shoes to his hous. COD with a giant dildo. No Vaseline.

https://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2016/05/17/mike-carroll-on-the-future-of-crailtap/

thanks.  That kinda makes it seem Marc fucked Carroll over, but it is from Carrolls perspective I guess.  And Carroll seems like a bit of a prick.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2023, 05:32:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Whats the story here?
[close]

Jensen interview where he kicked him off chocolate. Believe he also sent him all his unsold shoes to his hous. COD with a giant dildo. No Vaseline.

[close]

thanks.  That kinda makes it seem Marc fucked Carroll over, but it is from Carrolls perspective I guess.  And Carroll seems like a bit of a prick.

I don’t think Vans had the opportunity to sell all their Carrolls and DC still had Embarkos when he left

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3335
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2023, 06:14:11 PM »
I once saw Marc at the Hollywood Tinder Greens and was so star struck I had heart palpitations.

Coincidentally, I also once saw Biebel at the Trader Joe’s on the same block and was similarly star struck but in a different way.

I also saw Bobby Trendy but at a location far removed.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2023, 06:40:39 PM »
I once saw Marc at the Hollywood Tinder Greens and was so star struck I had heart palpitations.

Coincidentally, I also once saw Biebel at the Trader Joe’s on the same block and was similarly star struck but in a different way.

I saw Alva leaving the Erewhon next to the Grove

Also, Gay, tell us more about Tinder Greens

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3335
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2023, 07:13:09 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Marc was sitting on the patio smoking a cigarette and talking with some nobody. I remember wishing that I had my MJ series Matix sweater on but since I hate sweaters I never wore that thing. I tried to make eye contact as I was sure he’d be impressed that I knew who he was, but after staring at him and thinking over and over, "Marc, look at me,"he never looked in my direction which was hurtful. Guess in the end it was me who was the nobody.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2023, 07:59:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Marc was sitting on the patio smoking a cigarette and talking with some nobody. I remember wishing that I had my MJ series Matix sweater on but since I hate sweaters I never wore that thing. I tried to make eye contact as I was sure he’d be impressed that I knew who he was, but after staring at him and thinking over and over, "Marc, look at me,"he never looked in my direction which was hurtful. Guess in the end it was me who was the nobody.

So it’s got nothing to do with Tinder and Tender Greens sharing a space

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2023, 08:19:36 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Kept hearing about this magical Erewhon from the Are you Garbage Guys, finally just looked it up and am sad to say it’s 2,500 miles away from me.

But I know a Wegmans vibe / Whole Foods….Erewhon is like that but insanely expensive and organic?

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2023, 08:22:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Kept hearing about this magical Erewhon from the Are you Garbage Guys, finally just looked it up and am sad to say it’s 2,500 miles away from me.

But I know a Wegmans vibe / Whole Foods….Erewhon is like that but insanely expensive and organic?

Erewhon seems like a money laundering scheme that was accidentally successful. The prices are absurd

ineedthis

• Rep: -39
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2023, 09:26:14 PM »
I swear Marc Johnson wrote a novel back in the day, maybe he mentioned in it in his epicly later'd or something like that, i actually am interested in checking it out, I think it was about time travel or something, I have tried looking but can't find it.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2023, 09:40:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Never been inside, but I’m also someone that doesn’t give a shit about food and is pretty cheap when it comes to experiences that don’t last

Sick_McCrank_

• Rep: -485
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2023, 10:29:34 PM »

Does he owe you/skateboarding anything?

No he does not.
Trendwatch 2022: kooking Sick_McCrank_ everyday for being a kook