Author Topic: Marc Johnson, “Business” person  (Read 30268 times)

TheLurper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 656
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Marc Johnson, “Business” person
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2023, 10:32:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I once saw Marc at the Hollywood Tinder Greens and was so star struck I had heart palpitations.

Coincidentally, I also once saw Biebel at the Trader Joe’s on the same block and was similarly star struck but in a different way.

I also saw Bobby Trendy but at a location far removed.
[close]

I saw Alva leaving the Erewhon next to the Grove
[close]

Kept hearing about this magical Erewhon from the Are you Garbage Guys, finally just looked it up and am sad to say it’s 2,500 miles away from me.

But I know a Wegmans vibe / Whole Foods….Erewhon is like that but insanely expensive and organic?

Wegman's is the best place ever. Erewhon is just absurd.  The in-house premade Erewhon meals/deserts aren't terrible, but they aren't worth the cost.  I'd much rather have a medium turkey sub with a chocolate chip cookie from Wegmans than an overpriced Erewhon meal.

I think the most absurd thing I found in Erewhon was a gallon of water that was going for 26 USD.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2023, 10:37:48 PM »
Marc was an elite skater. Very much a kook though. Trying hard to promote an image of being smarter than everyone has always been cringey and didn’t age well. I hope he’s ok. I’d like to see him skate again. 

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1128
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2023, 10:55:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Has anything aged worse than Marc Johnson as the intellectual and business genius?? I hope he’s living his best life but it seems he’s become a recluse, run his company into the ground, and burned a lot of bridges and any goodwill he had in the industry.

If ten years ago someone had told me that Louie and Jerry would both be running businesses more successfully than Marc I don’t think I would have believed it…
[close]

Does he owe you/skateboarding anything?

No he does not.

he doesn't owe me anything, but I didn't order anything from his skateboard "company"...

Shtonk

• Rep: -342
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2023, 01:30:33 AM »
What is he actually up to these days?

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 774
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2023, 02:18:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Has anything aged worse than Marc Johnson as the intellectual and business genius?? I hope he’s living his best life but it seems he’s become a recluse, run his company into the ground, and burned a lot of bridges and any goodwill he had in the industry.

If ten years ago someone had told me that Louie and Jerry would both be running businesses more successfully than Marc I don’t think I would have believed it…
[close]

I don’t get why people get such a thrill gloating over his down turn just because of one pretentious thing he said.    He tried a company, but like Koston, BA, Gonz, Rowley, Kalis, SLB and many many others, it didn’t work out.   

If he’s not in the industry so much, it’s probably good for his mental health especially after Carroll was a complete asshole and tried to ruin him (the same Carroll who hasn’t exactly left his previous sponsors with grace).   

He seems to be selling his art on IG and appears content.   He’s not banished to Siberia and wearing a sack cloth and ashes relying on potato ends the village youths throw at him as he ambles along the unpaved roads tin cup in hand.  Sometimes it’s good to get out of the industry
[close]

Whats the story here?
[close]

Jensen interview where he kicked him off chocolate. Believe he also sent him all his unsold shoes to his hous. COD with a giant dildo. No Vaseline.

https://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2016/05/17/mike-carroll-on-the-future-of-crailtap/
[close]

thanks.  That kinda makes it seem Marc fucked Carroll over, but it is from Carrolls perspective I guess.  And Carroll seems like a bit of a prick.

yeah that whole situation was weird as hell and probably very uncomfortable for both sides so it’s hard to tell who was in the wrong, i mean if marc lied then it’s mostly on him but who knows how all that really went down.
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 501
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2023, 03:48:15 AM »
Just Carroll getting straight onto Jenkem to shit on him up front.

dill8849

• Rep: -41
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2023, 04:48:04 AM »
From what i understand from Marc's take was that Lakai just started slashing his paychecks with zero notice and when he called them about it, they pretended it was a mistake. They would later tell him they would be cutting down his paychecks again and told him to delay the Addidas announcement, even though Marc had court ordered (child support?) payments he needed to make. The way I see it, if your employer starts cutting your salary with no notice and then proceeds to tell you to delay your new employment, that is bullshit.

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2023, 05:08:57 AM »
we can't stop thinking about him

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2023, 05:54:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

I don’t get why people get such a thrill gloating over his down turn just because of one pretentious thing he said.    He tried a company, but like Koston, BA, Gonz, Rowley, Kalis, SLB and many many others, it didn’t work out.   

If he’s not in the industry so much, it’s probably good for his mental health especially after Carroll was a complete asshole and tried to ruin him (the same Carroll who hasn’t exactly left his previous sponsors with grace).   

He seems to be selling his art on IG and appears content.   He’s not banished to Siberia and wearing a sack cloth and ashes relying on potato ends the village youths throw at him as he ambles along the unpaved roads tin cup in hand.  Sometimes it’s good to get out of the industry
[close]

Whats the story here?
[close]

Jensen interview where he kicked him off chocolate. Believe he also sent him all his unsold shoes to his hous. COD with a giant dildo. No Vaseline.

https://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2016/05/17/mike-carroll-on-the-future-of-crailtap/
[close]

thanks.  That kinda makes it seem Marc fucked Carroll over, but it is from Carrolls perspective I guess.  And Carroll seems like a bit of a prick.
[close]

yeah that whole situation was weird as hell and probably very uncomfortable for both sides so it’s hard to tell who was in the wrong, i mean if marc lied then it’s mostly on him but who knows how all that really went down.

yeah how i remember feeling when it all went down was that i assumed Marc is a people pleaser to an extent, and couldn’t figure out how to stand up and be clear about something he needed to be clear about.
Carroll’s reaction reinforces why mj was trying to bury his head in the sand.
they really had us debating on here who was better. i probably lean towards mj on that one, but they are both great.
i liked business & co. i thought the name was sick, and i liked a lot of the graphics (not those weird barbie ones tho).

lakai must be fucking lakai over pretty hard tho, all of those shoes cannot be selling. carroll is sending himself dildos and shoes on the regular.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 06:33:35 AM by Ok »

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 966
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2023, 06:05:21 AM »
That mofo has kids?
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

theextrabanana

• Rep: -134
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2023, 06:42:32 AM »
Trying hard to promote an image of being smarter than everyone has always been cringey and didn’t age well.

I don’t think he really “tried” to do this. Maybe the way  sponsors and mags promoted him but it’s not necessarily his choice. Literally all these dudes seemed highly ego driven in these days so there’s going to be problems once people have to grow up/have kids and stop relying on who did what trick the best at what spot

sending good vibes to the homie MJ  8)✌️

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2023, 06:58:37 AM »
I just want to see him skate again

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 721
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2023, 07:10:59 AM »
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3334
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2023, 07:11:26 AM »
I remember the fallout from that Jenkem interview but never actually read the thing. Mike sure went in.

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65241
  • Team -65K
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2023, 08:47:00 AM »
I love how much love Marc gets in this thread. It's just impossible for me to dislike him just because of his skating. Pretty funny guy too imho.

This Crail Couch explains a lot 

https://youtu.be/G9FwYgNUAIw?si=o0DxJMOMLlpCuwp9

wax poetic

• Rep: 42
  • fuck it, I'll stir the pot
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2023, 09:02:24 AM »
I watched Modus last night ... MJ and MC were so good!  I miss that era

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2023, 10:06:48 AM »
MJ is a good example of why teams are not "families." The company is gonna eventually have to do what's best for the wellbeing of the brand, and sometimes that means that releases get moved around or royalties gets chopped. He had every right to jump ship.

I cringe when I see an ad that says "Welcome To The Family" having seen how Carroll smeared MJ, and many fans just lapped that shit up.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2023, 10:28:01 AM »
MJ is a good example of why teams are not "families." The company is gonna eventually have to do what's best for the wellbeing of the brand, and sometimes that means that releases get moved around or royalties gets chopped. He had every right to jump ship.

I cringe when I see an ad that says "Welcome To The Family" having seen how Carroll smeared MJ, and many fans just lapped that shit up.

True.
A) never go into business with friends (without protection:PUT THINGS IN WRITING)
B) your boss is never your friend.
C) Never do anything to “help” the company out. A boss’s goal is to extract as much labor for as little value as possible.

I think to go back to earlier posts about people “gloating” over Marc’s “downfall”, his Jenkem interview probably had a lot to do with it: https://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2013/07/16/the-marc-johnson-interview/

Saying point blank “I’ll never ride for a big shoe company” puts the lakai/adidas dust up in a weird hypocritical light. However, lakai basically stopped paying him, that shouldn’t be held against him.

I want to clarify: I love Marc Johnson’s skating, I like his sense of humor, he should be an elder statesman of the industry, chilling and cruising into retirement. He deserves all the success guys like rickk and Ave/Dill and Jerry have and more. It bums me out that he isn’t really a part of skating anymore. Maybe all this is going according to his plan and I hope he’s chilling and happy and getting right.

The whole reason of the post was thinking about an old enjoi tour article of Marc, Jerry, and Louie in eastern europe(?) from transworld or skateboarder and thinking how 2 of those 3 are running (reasonably) successful companies and one of those people NOT being Marc is bizarre…

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2023, 11:11:15 AM »
I don’t hold supposed “shoe brand hypocrisy” against people.   The previous perception of them as culture vultures making shit product seems vastly different to the way those companies finally came to be and treat their riders in the late 00s. 

Also, if he had child support payments, I definitely don’t blame him for making choices based off that.   

I just think with MJ in particular, we give people a lot of leeway and respect when skating takes it’s physical toll on people, but he stands out where skating (Fully Flared in particular) took an emotional/mental toll

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2023, 11:27:25 AM »
From what i understand from Marc's take was that Lakai just started slashing his paychecks with zero notice and when he called them about it, they pretended it was a mistake. They would later tell him they would be cutting down his paychecks again and told him to delay the Addidas announcement, even though Marc had court ordered (child support?) payments he needed to make. The way I see it, if your employer starts cutting your salary with no notice and then proceeds to tell you to delay your new employment, that is bullshit.

That's not at all how Carroll claims it went down:

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -514
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2023, 12:02:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That's not at all how Carroll claims it went down:

Carroll is such a weird sex fiend. 

You got some extra shoes from a rider leaving and you go right to dildos and lube?

You gonna chase Gabor one of the greatest skaters ever for wanting to get paid?

Seriously though, I think MC has an unhealthy relationship to human sexuality, and I’m sure it makes everyone uncomfortable, glad MJ escaped that and finds art therapeutic.

winecrab

• Rep: -176
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2023, 01:23:22 PM »
We could've had one more MJ part if it wasn't for Carroll nuking his career. I understand that he was hurt that Mark lied to him but the whole jenkem thing was pretty petty. It's sad that adidas didn't end up doing anything with him and just dropped him a few years later. What was the point in pursuing Mark so aggressively?

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2023, 03:13:26 PM »
We could've had one more MJ part if it wasn't for Carroll nuking his career. I understand that he was hurt that Mark lied to him but the whole jenkem thing was pretty petty. It's sad that adidas didn't end up doing anything with him and just dropped him a few years later. What was the point in pursuing Mark so aggressively?

A cool story of Marc bein' cool, and also some info on a lost part that Ty canned.

TMKF

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -485
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2023, 04:15:42 PM »
MJ can do no wrong in my eyes. Carroll is the real kook who fucked over Marc and many other team riders he tried to call "friends. MJ should've just sued Lakai and put them out of business so we didn't have to see that ugly ass logo anymore...but he didn't despite being called a sellout anyway for just wanting to ride for a company that actually honored their contracts to he could pay his bills. I don't know where MJ tried to act like he was smarter than anyone else, pretty light hearted guy and a damn good skateboarder, certainly one of the best to ever do it. From Seven Steps to Heaven in 1996 to Pretty Sweet MJ never disappointed with countless parts in between always pushing himself and progressing skating...tastefully(most of the time). Most skaters are terrible businessmen so are most creative types, I don't see why that's surprising to anyone.

MJ is one of my all time favs for sure and a really cool dude off the board as well.

DirtyBurger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2023, 04:20:15 PM »
So is he actually still on Adidas or is he just homie flow at this point? The last thing I remember him doing was that weird commercial for that baby blue shoe. Also on a sad note, I don't think he ever said he was an alcoholic, but I do remember reading that he was drinking a lot of wine and he had to stop to take care of his kid. His erratic behavior is very "off the wagon". I just hope he's well and starts one more company so I can think about buying a deck and have him end it before I have the chance

Backslide Tale Slaw

• Rep: 4
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2023, 04:59:48 PM »

HisNameIsntWarren

• Rep: 49
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2023, 06:18:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Whats the story here?
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

yeah how i remember feeling when it all went down was that i assumed Marc is a people pleaser to an extent, and couldn’t figure out how to stand up and be clear about something he needed to be clear about.
Carroll’s reaction reinforces why mj was trying to bury his head in the sand.
they really had us debating on here who was better. i probably lean towards mj on that one, but they are both great.
i liked business & co. i thought the name was sick, and i liked a lot of the graphics (not those weird barbie ones tho).

lakai must be fucking lakai over pretty hard tho, all of those shoes cannot be selling. carroll is sending himself dildos and shoes on the regular.
Surprised this took so long to post.
@1:21:30

So either, being called a pathological liar OR being dicked over by the “family” you put in 15 years of hard work for, eventually leading to you having to sell your house in order to keep your kid.

Sucks he wasn’t upfront with Carroll at the end but sounds like he was at a breaking point and said, fuck it/fuck em.

Welcome to the OC bitch! This is how it’s done in Orange County.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2023, 07:12:43 PM »
Kinda confirms Carrolls stuff anyway, just a messy situation.  MJ makes it hard to side with him though, he's just so intense & forces his point so hard.

Also, I forgot the Nine Club used to be pretty good.

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -514
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2023, 07:27:58 PM »
Kinda confirms Carrolls stuff anyway, just a messy situation.  MJ makes it hard to side with him though, he's just so intense & forces his point so hard.

The pay cut stuff is scummy. 

And going on jenkem and saying you’re sending a dildo and lube to him is weirdo shit.

Actually not that hard to imagine Marc being pretty intense about it or to take his side.

MJ should sell some shit and and actually ship it (or get someone to do that part) though, sounds like he’d have some support. 

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2023, 07:38:27 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The pay cut stuff is scummy. 

And going on jenkem and saying you’re sending a dildo and lube to him is weirdo shit.

Actually not that hard to imagine Marc being pretty intense about it or to take his side.

MJ should sell some shit and and actually ship it (or get someone to do that part) though, sounds like he’d have some support.

I think people forget Mike Carroll is an eighth grade dropout who was a notorious brat and bully but he skated real good and it’s allowed him to be reasonably successful, but that doesn’t make him some mature business person. If anything the jenkem interview proves he's still that kid. 99 times out of 100 dudes from that background become burnouts, MC just got lucky