Author Topic: Marc Johnson, “Business” person  (Read 30269 times)

iSk84thechicas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -47
  • Thats right - Her AND her cousin
Re: Marc Johnson, “Business” person
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2023, 07:45:39 PM »
Maybe he should be the accountant for Sci Fi Fantasy

-"...Because we all know if Baker were Guns N Roses, Braydon would be Steven Adler..."

- "When I'm not getting laid , I'm hauling myself down a 5 flat 5....Time to man up son!"

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2023, 07:47:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Kinda confirms Carrolls stuff anyway, just a messy situation.  MJ makes it hard to side with him though, he's just so intense & forces his point so hard.

Also, I forgot the Nine Club used to be pretty good.
[close]

The pay cut stuff is scummy. 

And going on jenkem and saying you’re sending a dildo and lube to him is weirdo shit.

Actually not that hard to imagine Marc being pretty intense about it or to take his side.

MJ should sell some shit and and actually ship it (or get someone to do that part) though, sounds like he’d have some support.
[close]

I think people forget Mike Carroll is an eighth grade dropout who was a notorious brat and bully but he skated real good and it’s allowed him to be reasonably successful, but that doesn’t make him some mature business person. If anything the jenkem interview proves he's still that kid. 99 times out of 100 dudes from that background become burnouts, MC just got lucky

I always thought whatever business he learned he got from rocco

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2023, 08:06:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Kinda confirms Carrolls stuff anyway, just a messy situation.  MJ makes it hard to side with him though, he's just so intense & forces his point so hard.

[close]

And going on jenkem and saying you’re sending a dildo and lube to him is weirdo shit.

Actually not that hard to imagine Marc being pretty intense about it or to take his side.

MJ should sell some shit and and actually ship it (or get someone to do that part) though, sounds like he’d have some support.
[close]

I think people forget Mike Carroll is an eighth grade dropout who was a notorious brat and bully but he skated real good and it’s allowed him to be reasonably successful, but that doesn’t make him some mature business person. If anything the jenkem interview proves he's still that kid. 99 times out of 100 dudes from that background become burnouts, MC just got lucky
[close]

MC has never seemed all that smart, but im guessing he was smart enough to let megan do most of the business

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2023, 08:08:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Well, Megan Baltimore is the business side of it (who learned it from Rocco, I suppose) and then Howard has acknowledged that he chose to reduce his skate career to handle the business side - the interview implied that one of the two of them would have to had skated less 

Im not saying Carroll doesn’t contribute, but he’s had a fairly solid infrastructure to begin with.    Also, MJ leaving combined with other notable Crail alums like Guy and Koston makes me think they probably had a few years of sketchy dealings or were operating on thin financial ice that perhaps led them to not make the “chillest” decisions

GS77

• Rep: 94
« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2023, 08:17:35 PM »
If you recall MC gave BA a hard time when AO went over to 3D. It was mentioned by BA in his Epically Latered. What we don’t know is whether MC speaks for Rickk and Megan or whether he just does whatever he wants to do cause he’s a hot head.

Remember the add where they were trying to get rid of him? It was something like VP for sale with phone tags removed.

The crazy part about MC speaking out is that he cost Crail more money by damaging the brand than whatever the shoes cost that they had to write down. Just stupid.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 09:19:03 PM by GS77 »

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65241
  • Team -65K
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #65 on: November 26, 2023, 10:42:24 PM »
Expand Quote
I just want to see him skate again
[close]

I want to see that lost part. That was in his prime too.

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -485
« Reply #66 on: November 26, 2023, 11:04:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I once saw Marc at the Hollywood Tinder Greens and was so star struck I had heart palpitations.

Coincidentally, I also once saw Biebel at the Trader Joe’s on the same block and was similarly star struck but in a different way.

I also saw Bobby Trendy but at a location far removed.
[close]

I saw Alva leaving the Erewhon next to the Grove
[close]

Kept hearing about this magical Erewhon from the Are you Garbage Guys, finally just looked it up and am sad to say it’s 2,500 miles away from me.

But I know a Wegmans vibe / Whole Foods….Erewhon is like that but insanely expensive and organic?
[close]

Wegman's is the best place ever. Erewhon is just absurd.  The in-house premade Erewhon meals/deserts aren't terrible, but they aren't worth the cost.  I'd much rather have a medium turkey sub with a chocolate chip cookie from Wegmans than an overpriced Erewhon meal.

I think the most absurd thing I found in Erewhon was a gallon of water that was going for 26 USD.

They were selling a $40 gluten free pumpkin pie for thanksgiving . I’m honestly thinking of opening my own even more expensive grocery store cause that’s literally the only business model I’ve found. They don’t even get good produce or specialty items . It’s literally the same shit in sprouts or whole foods or even Ralph’s but for at least double the price.

At best they’re just ripping people off but I honestly think they just suck at supply chain and pay more for shit than every other grocer and just pretended it’s on purpose.

I do miss wegmans. Is that fancy now? When I was a kid it was just the local grocery store in the upstate New York town my moms from. Now it’s huge .
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

theextrabanana

• Rep: -134
« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2023, 12:20:20 AM »
How exactly does one “lose” a Marc Johnson part? Was he being extorted?

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65241
  • Team -65K
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #68 on: November 27, 2023, 12:30:47 AM »

Just keep the footage and claim or say you have the copyrights. Not much you can do especially if you can't afford a lawyer and will likely lose the case.

Also I can imagine Adidas has no interest in a part where Marc is wearing Lakais.

Flip Skateboards did the same to Salabanzi and his "lost" part was only released about 10 years later iirc and it was insane. Hope Carroll has some sense too.

theextrabanana

• Rep: -134
« Reply #69 on: November 27, 2023, 12:51:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Just keep the footage and claim or say you have the copyrights. Not much you can do especially if you can't afford a lawyer and will likely lose the case.

Also I can imagine Adidas has no interest in a part where Marc is wearing Lakais.

Flip Skateboards did the same to Salabanzi and his "lost" part was only released about 10 years later iirc and it was insane. Hope Carroll has some sense too.

Interesting. Well their brand seems pretty dead anyway. Assuming he had a legit contract, MJ should have sued the piss out of all them when they were docking his pay.

itspizzapie

• Rep: -13
« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2023, 02:06:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

extremely dumb take. I know (and worked for) more than a few person who built million $ businesses without any degree. Being successful in (retail) business is not related to education, and judging 45 years old people by their school education is just irrelevant and stupid

burner

• Rep: 91
« Reply #71 on: November 27, 2023, 06:02:22 AM »

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 105
« Reply #72 on: November 27, 2023, 07:05:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Has anything aged worse than Marc Johnson as the intellectual and business genius?? I hope he’s living his best life but it seems he’s become a recluse, run his company into the ground, and burned a lot of bridges and any goodwill he had in the industry.

If ten years ago someone had told me that Louie and Jerry would both be running businesses more successfully than Marc I don’t think I would have believed it…
[close]

Does he owe you/skateboarding anything?

No he does not.

No one owes skateboarding shit but dude started a company so he's asking for our business and not really putting in the work himself

I love Marc and wish he would at least try to do something with this

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 774
« Reply #73 on: November 27, 2023, 07:18:40 AM »
Mike the kind dude that don’t wash his towels and think it strange when they smell. “Why my towels smell? I only use them when I’m clean after the shower” that’s dirty smell you still dirty. By a washcloth nasty.

i've never heard this analogy before, is it something that you learned from your own experience?
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2023, 08:03:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

extremely dumb take. I know (and worked for) more than a few person who built million $ businesses without any degree. Being successful in (retail) business is not related to education, and judging 45 years old people by their school education is just irrelevant and stupid

Agreed. Carroll didn't exactly grow up in a stable household either.

While the Jenkem article is harsh as shit, I think it clearly illustrates, FROM CARROLL'S POV, that they dealt with a lot of shit when it came to Mark. Maybe when you stick with people's behavior when they struggle with substance abuse, then they turn around and embarrass you and your team, you put something out like this. Again, that's how I feel Carroll presented it. I don't know what the truth is. Marc tried to explain on the 9 Club and didn't really give a coherent rebuttal. No one came to his defense either. Except Brink. And we never got the other side of that story did we? LOL.

They didn't talk shit about BA, Olson, Hsu, Berle, Koston or Guy when they left. BA, Olson, Guy and Koston all came to the 30th Anniversary stuff.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3335
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #75 on: November 27, 2023, 08:13:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

MC has never seemed all that smart, but im guessing he was smart enough to let megan do most of the business

If this is a low key cuckolding snipe I’m here for it. If it isn’t, I’m going to pretend it is and I’ll be here for it.

Crust

• Rep: 42
« Reply #76 on: November 27, 2023, 08:44:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

If this is a low key cuckolding snipe I’m here for it. If it isn’t, I’m going to pretend it is and I’ll be here for it.

Hahahahahahahaha, brilliant GAY . Would gnar.

let’s go home

• Rep: 35
« Reply #77 on: November 27, 2023, 09:04:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I just want to see him skate again
[close]
[close]

I want to see that lost part. That was in his prime too.

Not only in his prime but if I recall correctly it was supposed to be more like a Tilt Mode style part rather than anything way too serious like Fully Flared.

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
« Reply #78 on: November 27, 2023, 09:09:52 AM »
While I am a person (a fan) who would pay to see Mike Carroll use the bathroom in anyway he chose, something has come to my attention as of rather recently:

Carroll was on that PURE

Quote from: CrailRinger
In the early part of the last decade, Mikey went on quite “a run”. At some point, a few folks said it was time to call him in and talk about reeling it in a bit. And so I did. At some point in the conversation I said, “how would you feel if you heard from random people that I was doing coke in the lobby of a hotel in Hollywood “. It was posed to promote some critical thought, not for an actual answer! He looked at me with tears in his eyes and said, “well, seems like you wouldn’t even know where to get coke”. Hey buddy, I do know where to get coke so let’s focus back on the issue. He slowed it down. Way down.

Mike had money for fake mustaches (& cocaine) yet he couldn't/wouldn't pay one of his former "power moves" all while participating in the sale of Crail to Altamont Investment.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=84318.0
https://www.boardistan.com/?p=47927

While its sad with what they are both going thru now with their respective health situations, I'm glad time has provided the industry with hopefully better people and companies with more dedication to skateboarding rather than to the late 90s-early 2000s era's perks of living better than your riders and treating them like indentured servants.
(Ya know, like Tum Yeto still does.)

boofactory

• Rep: 24
« Reply #79 on: November 27, 2023, 09:20:56 AM »
Texted Marc on thanksgiving wishing him a great day, didn’t get a response back, didn’t figure I would. Just wanted to be kind. This year has been a crazy one for me but I appreciated Marc sending me some extra boards in a long awaited box earlier this year. He is an interesting guy and definitely is on his own type of time.

I’m a huge fan of his 8.44 shaped deck through biz n co. He gave me the whole break down on how the shape came together. It’s based on Rudy Johnson’s experimental blind deck from back in the early 90’s.

P.S. Marc if you read this, I’m still waiting on the jacket you were saying you’d send me. It’s getting cold here in Maine.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 721
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #80 on: November 27, 2023, 09:32:45 AM »
Why didn’t you text me, dick
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

OrcasIndaPark

• Rep: -16
« Reply #81 on: November 27, 2023, 10:47:24 AM »
fuck this thread mj is the goat

FUCK THIS THREAD , MJ’s THE GOAT

REPEAT IT LOUDER

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #82 on: November 27, 2023, 12:28:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Well, Megan Baltimore is the business side of it (who learned it from Rocco, I suppose) and then Howard has acknowledged that he chose to reduce his skate career to handle the business side - the interview implied that one of the two of them would have to had skated less 

Im not saying Carroll doesn’t contribute, but he’s had a fairly solid infrastructure to begin with.    Also, MJ leaving combined with other notable Crail alums like Guy and Koston makes me think they probably had a few years of sketchy dealings or were operating on thin financial ice that perhaps led them to not make the “chillest” decisions

on the arto episode JW said a lot of the business was Megan

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #83 on: November 27, 2023, 12:36:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I once saw Marc at the Hollywood Tinder Greens and was so star struck I had heart palpitations.

Coincidentally, I also once saw Biebel at the Trader Joe’s on the same block and was similarly star struck but in a different way.

I also saw Bobby Trendy but at a location far removed.
[close]

I saw Alva leaving the Erewhon next to the Grove
[close]

Kept hearing about this magical Erewhon from the Are you Garbage Guys, finally just looked it up and am sad to say it’s 2,500 miles away from me.

But I know a Wegmans vibe / Whole Foods….Erewhon is like that but insanely expensive and organic?
[close]

Wegman's is the best place ever. Erewhon is just absurd.  The in-house premade Erewhon meals/deserts aren't terrible, but they aren't worth the cost.  I'd much rather have a medium turkey sub with a chocolate chip cookie from Wegmans than an overpriced Erewhon meal.

I think the most absurd thing I found in Erewhon was a gallon of water that was going for 26 USD.
[close]

They were selling a $40 gluten free pumpkin pie for thanksgiving . I’m honestly thinking of opening my own even more expensive grocery store cause that’s literally the only business model I’ve found. They don’t even get good produce or specialty items . It’s literally the same shit in sprouts or whole foods or even Ralph’s but for at least double the price.

At best they’re just ripping people off but I honestly think they just suck at supply chain and pay more for shit than every other grocer and just pretended it’s on purpose.

I do miss wegmans. Is that fancy now? When I was a kid it was just the local grocery store in the upstate New York town my moms from. Now it’s huge .

Wegman's is definitely a bit fancy and I only go there for premade meals or their iced sugar cookies.

In terms of doing a big grocery trip, I stick to Kroger where the prices are pretty low.

TelethonJohn

• Rep: 57
« Reply #84 on: November 27, 2023, 01:12:54 PM »
When reading that Jenkem interview, I was on Carroll's side until he shit his diaper and threw his spaghetti-o's at the wall. Never ask that guy to take the high road. Such a petty move kicking MJ off like that.

MtnDoucheBag

• Rep: -98
« Reply #85 on: November 27, 2023, 01:29:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Interesting. Well their brand seems pretty dead anyway. Assuming he had a legit contract, MJ should have sued the piss out of all them when they were docking his pay.

Kyle Camarillo has the part I don’t see why he can’t post it, we’ve seen half the footage already anyways.

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 211
« Reply #86 on: November 27, 2023, 01:36:39 PM »
How are we three pages into this thread without the Carroll/UPS/Shoebox/Dildo photo being posted?

MeanestCleanestPenis

• Rep: 40
« Reply #87 on: November 27, 2023, 01:52:36 PM »
The type of behavior MC references is pretty similar to what people on here trying to buy his products experienced. That kind of avoidant behavior is hard to deal with for sure

Underpressureflips

• Rep: 45
« Reply #88 on: November 27, 2023, 02:45:19 PM »
Expand Quote
fuck this thread mj is the goat
[close]

FUCK THIS THREAD , MJ’s THE GOAT

REPEAT IT LOUDER

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)