Author Topic: Jack O'Grady's "SQUISH" Pass~Port Part  (Read 6915 times)

jorge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -99
Re: Jack O'Grady's "SQUISH" Pass~Port Part
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2023, 12:52:06 PM »
fearless fast barely in control > technical perfection
More of this please.  Dude is in the SOTY conversation for sure.

Lucky_Basek

• Rep: 58
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2023, 12:55:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Jack is a world class skater who chooses to wear his hair in a 1940s/1990s middle part (or as we used to say at school, bum part).

This is very endearing.
[close]

Butt-cut, when I was young. However, that style is totally back now among the kids.

Hahah butt-cut!

Lucky_Basek

• Rep: 58
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2023, 12:57:52 PM »
Is that an O’Meally cameo at 2:12?

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1063
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2023, 12:58:35 PM »
That was awesome

Shtonk

• Rep: -139
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2023, 01:04:57 PM »
He's the only guy where I really like watching crooked grinds. Also love him bringing back noseslides on handrails (dollin homage?). Fast and dangerous skating is very fun to watch.

All that being said, this doesn't feel like a SOTY part. His cover ollie in 7ball is harder than anything in here, his rail-gap-rail ender from a couple years ago was also more memorable. It's just missing that wow factor. I was expecting to be semi braindead by the end of this, instead I'm just stoked to go skate which is awesome in itself but not a soty criterium.

Also some of these filmers need to be fired. A third of the zoomy longlens shots would have been way more awesome on a fisheye. Longlens works against the kind of skating he's doing. Bums me out so much. Case in point that fucking botch job of an ender. A wide for second angle is mandatory here. Or a fisheye at the top where he gaps.

QixHexagon

• Rep: 28
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2023, 01:06:43 PM »
The 50-50 into the gravel was so wild. Can't imagine going from such a steep rail directly to dirt and still holding on.

Stu Pickles

• Rep: 91
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2023, 01:27:14 PM »
another crazy part from him, so much hairball shit. hes like a tfunk that has a better chance of filing his taxes. i mean that as a good thing idk

would love to see more angles and the raw footage for that crook
« Last Edit: November 27, 2023, 01:35:08 PM by Stu Pickles »

Dental Dan

• Rep: 23
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2023, 01:31:50 PM »
Maniacal crooked grind

lurkluke

• Rep: 145
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2023, 01:43:09 PM »
loved the short 50 to bank, to ollie the next bank.

soty this fella up

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -597
  • who knows
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2023, 01:47:56 PM »
there was some really awesome stuff (ender obvi) but a lot of it seem a bit whatever.  Usually i like his stuff more.  i wish i could feel what others feel on towards that song, didnt exactly get me going either.   

he is a an awesome skater though
where is home?

yghartsyrt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 165
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2023, 02:01:23 PM »
He's the only guy where I really like watching crooked grinds. Also love him bringing back noseslides on handrails (dollin homage?). Fast and dangerous skating is very fun to watch.

All that being said, this doesn't feel like a SOTY part. His cover ollie in 7ball is harder than anything in here, his rail-gap-rail ender from a couple years ago was also more memorable. It's just missing that wow factor. I was expecting to be semi braindead by the end of this, instead I'm just stoked to go skate which is awesome in itself but not a soty criterium.

Also some of these filmers need to be fired. A third of the zoomy longlens shots would have been way more awesome on a fisheye. Longlens works against the kind of skating he's doing. Bums me out so much. Case in point that fucking botch job of an ender. A wide for second angle is mandatory here. Or a fisheye at the top where he gaps.

The ender probably hasn't a second angle, because there was something wrong with the footage, since you see a second angle being filmed. not sure, if you would redo such a trick, just because the second filmer fucked up or the camera crapped out.

Shtonk

• Rep: -139
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2023, 02:14:01 PM »
I have a low-key issue with that ender spot in that it looks kinda safe for how much drama it is being treated with (enders and QS reposts galore). Yeah he's fast and it's long but aren't the bank to one side and the flats between to the stairs relatively safe bail scenarios? Feels like there's so many much more dangerous spots in there. But maybe there's something I'm not getting.

No Wave Comply

• Rep: 116
  • Phantom of the Skatepark
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2023, 03:03:34 PM »
Holy f-ing shit that was sick, so bloody rad he skated to a Birthday Party song! Is he the first? Systematics too!

Def Top 3 part for me this year.

Re-watchable x100

I almost shit myself I was so stoked to hear Systematics “International Voltage”. I have that 7” EP and I’m a huge fan of all that M Squared stuff.

I’m not sure if it’s the first use of The Birthday Party (would be surprised if it was but I can’t think of any parts off the top of my head), but it’s definitely the only time Systematics have been used, defo.

This may have changed my SOTY vote from Cyrus to Squish. So insane. Best all around part (skating, filming, editing, music).

Expand Quote
Holy f-ing shit that was sick, so bloody rad he skated to a Birthday Party song! Is he the first? Systematics too!
[close]
splitting hairs but i think "Faint Heart" is actually a Boys Next Door song? which is even sicker, in my opinion

Yep. It was originally on the Boys Next Door “Hee-Haw” 12” EP (1979, Missing Link) before they moved to London and changed their name. But since it’s on the Birthday Party “Hee-Haw” CD, it’s always credited to that name.
a grunt  a mudhog  a slimedog
a simple servant  a hired hand

“Come in here dear boy, have a gnar, you’re gonna go far!”

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -471
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2023, 04:27:47 PM »
Banger of a part . Dudes a madman classic Aussie no fucks given part. Is this a soty push part? We have like 3 weeks before soty and it feels like there’s zero candidates this year. Jack would be a pretty perfect soty by Phelps rules.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2023, 05:21:48 PM »
Did he have an earlier part before 7-ball?

As much as Tom Knox is my sentimental pic, I think O Grady has been ripping consistently throughout the year to be to odds on front-runner.   

Delfino might edge him depending on that part and Thrasher bias, but he’s been consistently killing it all year that I don’t think it would be a scandal if he won it either. 

Would anyone actually be upset if it was between O Grady/Delfino?

easymoneysniper

• Rep: 13
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2023, 06:58:59 PM »
jack o'soty

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2023, 07:30:40 PM »
MY SOTY.

Gnar-tech at it's fines.

quaintly

• Rep: 10
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2023, 07:34:52 PM »
Hahaha ! Harsh

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2023, 07:55:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Hahaha ! Harsh

Hah why is that harsh.   I assumed that as well

Shortys Hardware

• Rep: 84
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2023, 08:13:43 PM »
Did he have an earlier part before 7-ball?

As much as Tom Knox is my sentimental pic, I think O Grady has been ripping consistently throughout the year to be to odds on front-runner.   

Delfino might edge him depending on that part and Thrasher bias, but he’s been consistently killing it all year that I don’t think it would be a scandal if he won it either. 

Would anyone actually be upset if it was between O Grady/Delfino?

He's been injured for months, this was meant to be 2 seperate parts (Passport L.A part, then a Europe/OZ part), but was cut short due to injury....no part before 7 Ball. He won't win it, but no one is mad at him being a contender and having his name thrown up there in a year where not a whole lot has happened in this race...he'll be a contender for the next 5 plus years  anyway

Tireeedd

• Rep: -14
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2023, 10:19:04 PM »
another crazy part from him, so much hairball shit. hes like a tfunk that has a better chance of filing his taxes. i mean that as a good thing idk

would love to see more angles and the raw footage for that crook

I'd gnar if I could

heinzketchup

• Rep: 51
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2023, 11:19:21 PM »
I have a low-key issue with that ender spot in that it looks kinda safe for how much drama it is being treated with (enders and QS reposts galore). Yeah he's fast and it's long but aren't the bank to one side and the flats between to the stairs relatively safe bail scenarios? Feels like there's so many much more dangerous spots in there. But maybe there's something I'm not getting.

the fact that only 3 people did a grind/slide down it says alot, every big named pro skated that spot.
i think its just really hard because you have to go super fast and gap out to it, than you have to make it all the way down because its quiet long.
i think its a lot cooler than a big ass kink rail but thats just my two cents

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 165
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2023, 12:19:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

the fact that only 3 people did a grind/slide down it says alot, every big named pro skated that spot.
i think its just really hard because you have to go super fast and gap out to it, than you have to make it all the way down because its quiet long.
I second the sentiment about the grind. The gap is kinda weird, since the ledge is below your starting level. It might be safer to bail than a kink rail, but the speed and ferocity alone make this a killer ender. .

mclovin1336

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2023, 12:45:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I second the sentiment about the grind. The gap is kinda weird, since the ledge is below your starting level. It might be safer to bail than a kink rail, but the speed and ferocity alone make this a killer ender. .

all the said things, and may I add its a very crowded spot, lots of people passing through, etc.

lurkluke

• Rep: 145
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2023, 12:46:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

There was a lot of filming in this that didn't seem to do the gap-outs justice. Looked good but there were some big gaps there.

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2023, 12:54:34 AM »
Phone angle of the crook ender. More or less the same angle from the part however

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C0LFys1LnQb/?igshid=MTc4MmM1YmI2Ng==
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

LebowskisRug

« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2023, 01:05:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If you stick anywhere in the first half you're falling straight to flat. The only "safe" bail is going slow and grinding BS weighting the tail and hoping to slide down the ledge. He could easily gap out and overshoot the top of the ledge and fall the additional 12-115 feet forward and down.

This seems harder to bail from because it's lower. You risk over popping onto it and are just closer to the ground and stepping down stairs at that speed sounds heinous.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2023, 01:35:49 AM »
WOW is it just me or was that the fastest a 4 minute part has gone by??

That crook made my jaw drop, that shit was insane. The roll away through the rocks at mach V, like HOW??  Just goes to show how fast skating is just so entertaining. Got me excited to see what pedro is about to drop.

also in the "waiting for Delfino" camp!
and as everyone said, the crook melted my face.

some things go by so fast in this part though, they might be overlooked. I mean, it just killed me the way he makes the long double set at Le Dome look like straight up nothing at 2'20.....(it's the one to the left, not the short one everybody skates) I wonder if he just pushed or was towed?? He actually powerslides before doing the 50-50....

Shortys Hardware

• Rep: 84
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2023, 01:53:03 AM »
Expand Quote

That crook made my jaw drop, that shit was insane. The roll away through the rocks at mach V, like HOW??  Just goes to show how fast skating is just so entertaining. Got me excited to see what pedro is about to drop.
[close]

some things go by so fast in this part though, they might be overlooked. I mean, it just killed me the way he makes the long double set at Le Dome look like straight up nothing at 2'20.....(it's the one to the left, not the short one everybody skates) I wonder if he just pushed or was towed?? He actually powerslides before doing the 50-50....

its not that crazy is it ?. Nak nollie hardflipped, Tyshawn sw tre with no assistance.  Stefan sw flipped like it was nothing like 20 plus years ago, im sure people have used a scooter tow, but so much has gone down it

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2023, 01:58:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

its not that crazy is it ?. Nak nollie hardflipped, Tyshawn sw tre with no assistance.  Stefan sw flipped like it was nothing like 20 plus years ago, im sure people have used a scooter tow, but so much has gone down it

yeah for a dude like him a straight ollie over that is easy I guess...but it's still the first time I see the long double set as an afterthought before the main trick. Or I'm just stuck in the 90's. I mean nobody skated this thing for a very long time. Vincent Bressol bs 180 is the first trick I remember being documented I think. shows how much skating has progressed!