Author Topic: What's the J Strickland story?  (Read 9281 times)

Shtonk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -334
What's the J Strickland story?
« on: December 02, 2023, 03:22:54 AM »
I'm a little too young to have memories of Baker's beginnings. Didn't know Bootleg existed until a couple years ago. I came in at Baker 2G and it defined my outlook on skating for years. I was wondering what J Strickland's role was with the company and how he dropped out of the picture? Was he still around for Baker 2G? I've checked a few search results but I got the strong feeling there's a lot of glossing over and covering up in those "public" accounts.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2023, 04:54:33 AM by Shtonk »

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 501
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
Re: What's the J Strickland story?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2023, 04:38:19 AM »
firdthabd

Shtonk

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2023, 04:57:00 AM »
Thank you so much

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3329
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2023, 06:18:30 AM »
Thank you so much

This made me laugh. Wish I could help.

addie pray

• Rep: -526
  • u a whole goofy
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2023, 06:35:42 AM »
graffiti dude turned skate art dude turned industry dude who i think kept it too real for some people.

baker robbed him of his whole shit wholesale tho. he invented that whole look. he deserves more than he's gotten for sure.

addie pray

• u a whole goofy
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2023, 06:36:45 AM »
googled him after writing that and there's this.. mad hip hop son

Shtonk

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2023, 06:44:21 AM »

Yeah no info on Baker tho. Some articles make it sound like he may have piled out big-time?

addie pray

• u a whole goofy
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2023, 06:49:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah no info on Baker tho. Some articles make it sound like he may have piled out big-time?

articles written by industry dickheads who ripped him off.. cant trust em

RhinestoneCowboy

• Rep: -19
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2023, 06:50:07 AM »
How much he paying you Shtonk?

Gunot

• Rep: 10

Shtonk

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2023, 07:47:09 AM »
https://48blocks.com/j-strickland/

https://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2012/03/19/hijinx-with-j-strickland/

And those are an accurate depiction of what went down yeah? Why do I feel like there's a bit more behind it? Has Reynolds ever spoken on this?

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 768
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2023, 07:52:48 AM »

And those are an accurate depiction of what went down yeah? Why do I feel like there's a bit more behind it? Has Reynolds ever spoken on this?

not really, which actually speaks volumes imo

i think andrew did great things with baker, i mean he's been running it for over 20 years now and it's always been relevant. i don't doubt that their general art direction was stolen from j though, that was back in the piss drunx era, they were all probably fucked up making these choices.
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Shtonk

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2023, 08:22:52 AM »
In that case, should we rename this thread "Andrew Reynolds kook rip-off confirmed"? If all of what Steickland is saying is true, 90% of what makes Baker and is the basis for Reynolds' status is stolen.

I_Respect_Wood

• Rep: 10
    • HH avatar image
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2023, 09:26:48 AM »
Thank for those links and Info, I always think about this type of people in the industry, I really want to know more about Daniel Harold Sturt too.
If I wasnt me, I never hang out with me...

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/qaL3qBBUWZRPXT5R7T" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/new-york-supreme-ben-kadow-qaL3qBBUWZRPXT5R7T">via GIPHY</a></p>

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2023, 09:34:45 AM »
In that case, should we rename this thread "Andrew Reynolds kook rip-off confirmed"? If all of what Steickland is saying is true, 90% of what makes Baker and is the basis for Reynolds' status is stolen.

This is a hilarious conclusion to arrive at.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -211
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2023, 11:19:35 AM »
Strickland’s a real one. A real cool cat.

One of the most solid dudes that the industry needed more of.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -295
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2023, 11:52:36 AM »
I think ellington talked about it on a ride channel interview briefly.

Shtonk

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2023, 11:54:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It's only hilarious if you're a fanboy and have no real clue about the workings of the industry and what creates a brand. Reynolds without Baker would be what? Another really good skater in the pantheon, fading into oblivion. Instead, he's "The Boss" and everything from the Logo to the video opening melody is directly associated with him. People not only see him as a great skater but as a visionary genius who built one of if not the longest-relevant brand in skate history. If neither the logo nor the melody nor pretty much everything else what made Baker videos instantly unique is his creation, then he's not a visionary but just successfully copying and extending the formula he stole from somebody who's not getting anything out of it. That's also an achievement in itself, sure, but nowhere near as impressive, let alone anywhere near the genius status with which he is regarded.

I was assuming Strickland was lying in those interviews or at least omitting some pivotal moments. If that's not the case, well...

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
  • I cut my grip with Occam's razor
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2023, 12:02:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It's only hilarious if you're a fanboy and have no real clue about the workings of the industry and what creates a brand. Reynolds without Baker would be what? Another really good skater in the pantheon, fading into oblivion. Instead, he's "The Boss" and everything from the Logo to the video opening melody is directly associated with him. People not only see him as a great skater but as a visionary genius who built one of if not the longest-relevant brand in skate history. If neither the logo nor the melody nor pretty much everything else what made Baker videos instantly unique is his creation, then he's not a visionary but just successfully copying and extending the formula he stole from somebody who's not getting anything out of it. That's also an achievement in itself, sure, but nowhere near as impressive, let alone anywhere near the genius status with which he is regarded.

I was assuming Strickland was lying in those interviews or at least omitting some pivotal moments. If that's not the case, well...

I think you mean, "life extending."

damn, ive gotten in 2 life extenion posts this past week. life is good.

Dekkard

• Rep: -21
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2023, 12:17:22 PM »
Dude was friends with Kirchart I don't know about Fred Galll

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2023, 12:35:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I’m too old to have ever cared about Baker. It’s just funny to read the 15-year old ramblings of another bitter dude who got burned out of the skate industry and conclude that the career of a legendary skater and his brand would be nothing without him.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3329
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2023, 12:45:22 PM »
Ayo, that's amazing
Gun in your mouth talk, verbal foul hawk
Connect thoughts to make my man child walk
Swift notarizer, Blue-Tang, all up in the high-riser
New York Yank visor, word tranquilizer
Adjust the dosage, delegate my Clan with explosives
While, my pen blow lines ferocious
Mediterranean, see y'all, the number one draft pick
Tear down the beat, God, then delegate the God to see God
The swift chancellor, flex the white gold tarantula
Track truck diesel, play the weed God substantiala
Max mostly, undivided then slide in sickening
Guaranteed made 'em jump like J Strickland

benboardbreaker

• Rep: 49
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2023, 12:53:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Wasn't this what steve jobs was famous for, taking other peoples work and make it look like it was his. btw i don't know anything about the allegations on here, but it will not be the first time a person becoming a millionary over some one elses idea.

turdtastic

• Rep: 54
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2023, 01:25:18 PM »
Ayo, that's amazing
Gun in your mouth talk, verbal foul hawk
Connect thoughts to make my man child walk
Swift notarizer, Blue-Tang, all up in the high-riser
New York Yank visor, word tranquilizer
Adjust the dosage, delegate my Clan with explosives
While, my pen blow lines ferocious
Mediterranean, see y'all, the number one draft pick
Tear down the beat, God, then delegate the God to see God
The swift chancellor, flex the white gold tarantula
Track truck diesel, play the weed God substantiala
Max mostly, undivided then slide in sickening
Guaranteed made 'em jump like J Strickland
Spitting hot fiyah 🔥🔥🔥

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 658
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2023, 01:43:54 PM »
He was Buck Strickland's brother. He never won the Blue Flame of Valor.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 768
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2023, 02:44:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

j was around for the first 3-4 years of the brand, everything that came after is andrew mostly. he kept the logo and fonts.
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 501
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2023, 02:57:02 PM »
Thank you so much

You shouldn't have edited your post!  It made my day.

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 292
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2023, 04:17:46 PM »

addie pray

• u a whole goofy
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2023, 04:33:44 PM »
CHEVY MSK the best writer of all time..

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2023, 05:38:34 PM »
"I was getting pretty bummed on Andrew. He hadn’t come through on his promises he made over and over about me owning a piece of the company."

How many times has this sort of wishing-on-a-star mentality in the business world actually resulted in someone obtaining ownership? Probably pretty rarely.

And if you're not an owner, then you're most likely a work-made-for-hire, which means the owner can do whatever they want with the shit you produce for them (the results and proceeds of your services), in perpetuity.

So, what's all the whining about? They're running with your format because you created it for them while you were an employee. If folks got their shit together and negotiated their contracts correctly or, even better, hired a lawyer from jump street, there wouldn't be a need to pester someone to make good on a promise.

As far as I can tell, this guy was a w-m-f-h for Tony who became a w-m-f-h for Reynolds. End of story.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"