Author Topic: What's the J Strickland story?  (Read 9280 times)

Burton Ernie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: What's the J Strickland story?
« Reply #90 on: December 06, 2023, 07:13:03 AM »
Every couple years the same discussion.
Got Strickland get enough money for his sketches/ filming - absolutely not. 
Going back to 1998 you guys think Baker Bootleg video
become a classic because of Stricklands art work, & filming.
No! I know nobody back then who really cared about the logo / filming.
It was interesting because it was a posse approach - not the next birdhouse video - some homies skating together - dirty and rough - no matter the team, pro or not.
Greco, Boulala, Reynolds, Kirchard, Dollin, Warner Ave Mob, Elissa - you think all this people got properly paid for the skating and lifestyle shots. Not at all.
So since Reynolds had no property on the logo - Strickland had any on the footage?

It was just documentation of a period of time.
And some of the parties involved agreed to publish without no rewards or compensation.

Majority of the people didn’t get anything out of it: Lil Eric, Ali Cairns, Brian Sumner, Jeff Lenoce, Willy Santos, Atiba, Coung, Tung, Marcelle, Brad Hayes, Tony Hawk, Sammy Baptista, Primo, Brian Emmers and manny more where also part of that „hype“.

At one point Andrew and Strickland decide to create a company out of it. So both put on the table what they had: The logo, the face, the backside flip.
One becomes the owner - one the team manager and filmer. Then they decide to split. Andrew was staying as a owner - and Strickland is pissed because he think he gave more then he receive from the company.
This is the story of every disillusional employee ever.
You can not discuss / complain your salary after leaving. You need to fix it before starting.

If it was all about his creative output - why he didn’t start the company himself without Reynolds- or why he just didn’t hired Reynolds - as Tony / birdhouse have done it.
Because Strickland didt had the money to start it himself and because just the label is not enough.
The team behind baker has defined baker.

For sure he didn’t get enough money out from one of skateboarding strongest iconic labels.
But this is the story of every graphic designer and his first good works they have done.

To be honest I was not a fan of the video 1998 - because I was surrounded by harder and tougher Lifestyle back then. I was already focused to getting my stuff done properly. Kids showing off being pissdrunk was plain stupid to me.
But later the development of Baker as a team and brand - Reynolds character development.
But also Stricklands feel for new way of documentation got me.
Looking back I appreciate the work of both.

This is pretty much how I saw it from my perspective as a random teenaged skater at that time.

Birdhouse came through my town around '98, Reynolds, Kirchart, Appleyard, a couple others, and J Strickland was the BH TM maybe? They partied at a house we were at and me and my friends were beyond hyped to be hanging out with those dudes. Heath clowned me for my Volcom t-shirt, pretty legendary move.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 680
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #91 on: December 06, 2023, 07:47:50 AM »
I dont think Appleyard was ever on birdhouse...? he was on habitat flow and then went to flip...

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1375
« Reply #92 on: December 06, 2023, 07:52:15 AM »
I dont think Appleyard was ever on birdhouse...? he was on habitat flow and then went to flip...

Yeah, he was mingling with the Birdhouse team for a bit. Don't think he was ever announced as am officially, though. This was when he was coming up and was getting courted by different sponsors.

Appleyard told a story in an am checkout interview about how he went to the Birdhouse TM (who was most likely Strickland at the time) and asked him for a bit of money to get by (this when he was the talk of the town), and Strickland laughed at him in return. That in turn soured Appleyard on the Birdhouse team.

Hefe43

• Rep: 176
« Reply #93 on: December 06, 2023, 10:39:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Reynolds will be in the hall of fame if there ever is one but dude really doesn’t have the “it” factor like Muska or Penny (both of whom he wanted to be like) did. He only became “cool” during the whole Baker2g PD era until Baker 3. He’s a pretty boring dude and the J.Strickland era Baker helped his skate career enormously, after that it’s whatever.
[close]

Reynolds has been cool as fuck since around the time he had the Scream, Resident Evil and Goosebumps boards, or, alternatively, the first notes of organ doner hit.
[close]

Eh.. to each his own.. Reynolds doesn’t have that “it” factor By himself.. pretty boring personality. Baker and PD crew give him an identity cause before he was doing his best to be like Muska and Penny.
[close]

Bowl cut, bucket hat, baggey pants and beautiful kickflips Reynolds? I thought he had “it” when I was 14. He was also what 19 maybe 20 in the footy from The End.

He hadn’t even started hucking frontside flips of everything yet and he was already a G.

I’ll admit he doesn’t have much of a personality and personally I would call him a nerd from the outside looking in. But his skating does the talking period.

As lame as it sounds Reynolds was in the first THPS with Muska you can’t say he didn’t have “it.”
[close]

Your reading comprehension skills are poor. I never said he didn’t have “it” skating wise… I’m talking about personality and marketability wise… He’s just a good skater but other than that boring… Baker scene helped him tremendously.

You don’t need personality or marketing when you’re the best at something

This shit sells itself. 
Tyshawn seems like the kind of guy to hate everyone at least a little bit

This Thing Of Ours

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
« Reply #94 on: December 06, 2023, 11:41:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Reynolds will be in the hall of fame if there ever is one but dude really doesn’t have the “it” factor like Muska or Penny (both of whom he wanted to be like) did. He only became “cool” during the whole Baker2g PD era until Baker 3. He’s a pretty boring dude and the J.Strickland era Baker helped his skate career enormously, after that it’s whatever.
[close]

Reynolds has been cool as fuck since around the time he had the Scream, Resident Evil and Goosebumps boards, or, alternatively, the first notes of organ doner hit.
Thank you.
When Birdhouse - The End dropped, his part was everybody’s favourite that I spoke to. Certainly mine. 
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 104
« Reply #95 on: December 06, 2023, 12:05:46 PM »

This is some revisionist history shit here

Colin Robinson

• Rep: 57
  • energy vampire
« Reply #96 on: December 06, 2023, 12:16:13 PM »
It's clearly bullshit posted by someone who wasn't alive at the time or paid no attention to turn of the millennium era skateboarding.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 717
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #97 on: December 06, 2023, 12:18:31 PM »
Bummed I misspelt donor
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -295
« Reply #98 on: December 06, 2023, 01:31:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Reynolds had the eye for talented skaters that kept the brand thriving long after Strickland was out of the picture, though. Baker’s beginning image was just silly without great skating to go with it anyway.
[close]

Agree with reynolds having the eye for talent, but the actual font was Jays creation and it’s undoubtedly the most iconic logo board the brand has. This is coming from a massive reynolds fan, but facts are facts.
[close]

Sure, but the font isn't what's kept the business successful. No one gets by for decades just because they have a cool logo.
[close]

Sure, but would it even be a brand without Jay making the logo and videos in the first place?
[close]

Yeah, I think so, would just be different

The logo is iconic now but that's because it's stood the test of time. People weren't wowed by it when it came out, it was just a shitty stencil graphic that fit the vibe. How come this argument only comes up with Baker and J and not the countless other companies that had their logos designed by artists?

Should J have been taken care of more financially and probably been given some sort of ownership percentage because of his work early in the brand? Yeah, probably, but to act like the brands entire success came solely from him is silly.

I agree mate, I just think that J having zero recognition is quite disingenuous on Bakers behalf. You are absolutely right though, of course the brand’s success is not all because of him.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2023, 03:02:55 PM by Paul Cicero »

lurker_and_poster

• Rep: 27
« Reply #99 on: December 06, 2023, 02:44:08 PM »
Expand Quote

Majority of the people didn’t get anything out of it: Lil Eric, Ali Cairns, Brian Sumner, Jeff Lenoce, Willy Santos, Atiba, Coung, Tung, Marcelle, Brad Hayes, Tony Hawk, Sammy Baptista, Primo, Brian Emmers and manny more where also part of that „hype“.

[close]

lol u really know that video well! I havent seen it in a long time but i remember all of these parts  ;D
boulala's part actually really good in that video but the rest of it is whatever

May I was not clear - I mean financial- they didn’t get anything out of it. because Strickland is/ or was claiming Reynolds ripped him off.
May they had fun doing it. I hope so.

This video was done by Strickland before the company was a thing - and all this people didn’t get any financial
kick back. This was the special thing it was a homie video with some not so known and some superstars fooling around - that was making it  - back then a Feeling good video. Not for me - but for my friends in the skate house I lived - they watch the video on heavy rotation.
As said before back then I was not interested in Strickland, Birdhouse, Baker or Reynolds. No daubt some good tricks in it - but I don’t gave a fuck about the vibe -  I was busy praising Cardiel, Senn, Stranger, Gonz, Alan. New guys on the radar 1998 was Arto - lucky me was witnessing live his first contest summer in Basel, Montpellier and Munster - had s couple of sessions at the same time / place he got better and better each week it was incredible. same summer I was lucky to skate some 5 stairs in a night session with Ed and Brian who won later Munster. This where the new guys to me I was hyped about.
Reynolds was like Willy Santos with an alcohol problem. Supergood but some ugly fool skating for Tony.  I exactly remember that some kid in my local park walks up to me and told me straight in the face that in his opinion Willy santos and Reynolds where the best skaters - I was thinking he just said that to provocate me.
I was thinking about to beat him - but he was smaller and younger then me - so this was not an option - so I choose to leave the park in disagreement.
I am not proud about it but my approach to skateboarding back then was as Bo Turner as possible.

Southernmost

• Rep: 116
« Reply #100 on: December 06, 2023, 02:49:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Eh.. to each his own.. Reynolds doesn’t have that “it” factor By himself.. pretty boring personality. Baker and PD crew give him an identity cause before he was doing his best to be like Muska and Penny.
[close]

Bowl cut, bucket hat, baggey pants and beautiful kickflips Reynolds? I thought he had “it” when I was 14. He was also what 19 maybe 20 in the footy from The End.

He hadn’t even started hucking frontside flips of everything yet and he was already a G.

I’ll admit he doesn’t have much of a personality and personally I would call him a nerd from the outside looking in. But his skating does the talking period.

As lame as it sounds Reynolds was in the first THPS with Muska you can’t say he didn’t have “it.”
[close]

Your reading comprehension skills are poor. I never said he didn’t have “it” skating wise… I’m talking about personality and marketability wise… He’s just a good skater but other than that boring… Baker scene helped him tremendously.
[close]

This shit sells itself.

I’d say Reynolds is a pretty interesting guy and a skate rat/nerd which is probably why most of us like him besides his talent. I get what you’re saying though. Even Reynolds himself though has said he surrounds himself with exciting and different people so he’s not so boring. He might not have the flare of Muska or the mystique of Tom but Reynolds skating and crew is definitely gravitating.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3329
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #101 on: December 06, 2023, 04:41:41 PM »
I always found the fact that Reynolds didn’t have some phony, affected look to be one of the more interesting things about him.

Shortys Hardware

• Rep: 108
« Reply #102 on: December 06, 2023, 04:45:50 PM »
They changed the logo for about year around Baker 3 era

https://bakerskateboards.com/pages/ads-04

MareVitals

• Rep: -39
« Reply #103 on: December 06, 2023, 05:18:22 PM »
They changed the logo for about year around Baker 3 era

https://bakerskateboards.com/pages/ads-04
Not saying Strickland deserves all the credit but that logo does look like ass. There's a reason they went back.

work_lurker

• Rep: 69
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
« Reply #104 on: December 06, 2023, 05:26:01 PM »

There is literally a skateboarding hall of fame already.
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #105 on: December 06, 2023, 06:35:59 PM »

backside_reacharound

• Rep: -215
« Reply #106 on: December 06, 2023, 06:37:32 PM »
Reynolds could have created a board company with literally any art direction and it would have been successful. He's been one of, if not THE most productive pro from his era, and he's widely considered one of the best to ever do it. J Strickland should consider himself lucky to have been involved in Baker at all, but taking any credit for its success is straight tomfoolery.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #107 on: December 07, 2023, 05:21:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

This shit sells itself. 
yeah, with Muska I can kinda see your point, but it’s not like Penny was ever out there with his personality; he just let his skating do the talking …

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

jums

• Rep: -55
« Reply #108 on: December 07, 2023, 06:02:26 AM »
I always found the fact that Reynolds didn’t have some phony, affected look to be one of the more interesting things about him.

What do you think PissDrunx was? All them dudes went from Muska and Penny impersonators to Johnny Thunders, Sid Vicious, and Johnny Rotten wannabes overnight. I’m not hating on Drew or PD whatsoever, I’m just saying without that image they portrayed Baker wouldn’t have lasted as long as it has. After J left the company the skating carried them along to where it is today. When it came out it was something different for kids to identify with who weren’t into hip-hop (Philly shit), metal (zero), or hesh (anti-hero). All I’m saying is without the EARLY “baker/PD”  thing and Js vision Drew wouldn’t have been able to carry a company for this long… Baker was cool in the early days but imo fell off when Baker 3 came out… it wasn’t raw anymore and too “polished” the skating was good but you can tell they tried to keep the same vision J had when making 2g but that shit wasn’t the same… J does have a hand in the early success of Baker. Shit is what it is. I’m rolling with what Maldonado said tho. It was initially “Baker Bootleg” when it just came out and was a sticker… it was supposed to be two different companies yet separate but since J was doing the artwork for both you really couldn’t tell the two apart. They were that similar and J was making double the money so Drew had to let him go and that’s that.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2023, 06:10:42 AM by jums »

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
« Reply #109 on: December 07, 2023, 07:19:04 AM »

that's true, I should've clarified. They were definitely all on a trip together but maybe not strictly Birdhouse guys.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 717
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #110 on: December 07, 2023, 08:03:56 AM »
He was on birdhouse

For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

ChrisSennsGirlfriend

• Rep: 126
« Reply #111 on: December 07, 2023, 08:26:04 AM »
there was a story on someone's (lenoce's?) nine club about apples wearing basketball shorts all the time while traveling w/ birdhouse and then heath hiding them or throwing them away or something and apples getting butthurt.
Mike Anderson is a small town labor union hottie

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 768
« Reply #112 on: December 07, 2023, 08:43:00 AM »
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2206
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #113 on: December 07, 2023, 09:43:01 AM »
organ doner
Bummed I misspelt donor
Gonna be honest, Organ Doner sounds pretty offal to me.  🤮

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

MareVitals

• Rep: -39
« Reply #114 on: December 07, 2023, 10:34:48 AM »
He was on birdhouse

Thank you. I have definitely seen it mentioned in other interviews as well. Quality control on Slap skate nerd facts is going downhill.

Hefe43

• Rep: 176
« Reply #115 on: December 07, 2023, 11:59:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

lol u really know that video well! I havent seen it in a long time but i remember all of these parts  ;D
boulala's part actually really good in that video but the rest of it is whatever

[close]

May I was not clear - I mean financial- they didn’t get anything out of it. because Strickland is/ or was claiming Reynolds ripped him off.

This video was done by Strickland before the company was a thing - and all this people didn’t get any financial
kick back. This was the special thing it was a homie video with some not so known and some superstars fooling around - that was making it  - back then a Feeling good video. Not for me - but for my friends in the skate house I lived - they watch the video on heavy rotation.
As said before back then I was not interested in Strickland, Birdhouse, Baker or Reynolds. No daubt some good tricks in it - but I don’t gave a fuck about the vibe -  I was busy praising Cardiel, Senn, Stranger, Gonz, Alan. New guys on the radar 1998 was Arto - lucky me was witnessing live his first contest summer in Basel, Montpellier and Munster - had s couple of sessions at the same time / place he got better and better each week it was incredible. same summer I was lucky to skate some 5 stairs in a night session with Ed and Brian who won later Munster. This where the new guys to me I was hyped about.
Reynolds was like Willy Santos with an alcohol problem. Supergood but some ugly fool skating for Tony.  I exactly remember that some kid in my local park walks up to me and told me straight in the face that in his opinion Willy santos and Reynolds where the best skaters - I was thinking he just said that to provocate me.
I was thinking about to beat him - but he was smaller and younger then me - so this was not an option - so I choose to leave the park in disagreement.
I am not proud about it but my approach to skateboarding back then was as Bo Turner as possible.
So you would say your skating was Bo Turner-esque?
Tyshawn seems like the kind of guy to hate everyone at least a little bit

This Thing Of Ours

lurker_and_poster

• Rep: 27
« Reply #116 on: December 07, 2023, 01:27:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
So you would say your skating was Bo Turner-esque?

No I woud not say it that way.
I thought more about my approach being very Anti concerning new trends, outspoken, and having anger issues.

But if I compare my 98 skating with his 91 memory screen part - fakie ollies down everything, big Ollie’s and backside Ollie’s -  i can see some parallel.
Everything which really matters to me happen between 87-94. - after that it took me 10 years to accept that skateboarding have changed… and get interested again into new kids.

Now I am old - skating only with kids half my age - having big fun and think it was never better then today.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 680
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
« Reply #117 on: December 07, 2023, 04:47:42 PM »
He was on birdhouse

I have seen this so many times too
Was this clip in feedback?