Author Topic: Vans Customs Wides  (Read 645 times)

Coastal Fever

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
Vans Customs Wides
« on: December 02, 2023, 06:44:06 AM »
Anyone here ever order a pair of these?  Definitely a little pricier than off the rack, but most reviews are favourable in terms of fit, and it’s pretty dope that you can fully customize the materials and colours.  Might pull the trigger on a pair soon. 

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Vans Customs Wides
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2023, 06:55:48 AM »
I have the wides, but don't really fancy to pay 20$ extra to have panels to be different color. The quality and the insole is usual Vans 2023 level garbage.

I would honestly go with basic colors for cheaper prize

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2023, 07:32:11 AM »
Fair enough!  Paying extra just for different colours isn’t ideal, though I would probably spend a little more to switch out the canvas for suede or leather.  Tbh, I was just planning to buy them as chillers and throw different insoles in there anyway.  I’m gonna hold out for the wide NBs for my next proper skate shoe.

the_dangery_bois

• Rep: 61
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2023, 08:14:17 AM »
I bought a pair a couple years ago.
I’m don’t really think the sole part was wider. I think there was more material on the shoe, which might be ok if your foot is fat or something. 
But it didn’t seem wider to me.  Actually it was just looser around the heel which didn’t help much at all.
It would be better if shoe companies reported the actual width of the sole so people could really decide.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2023, 03:35:39 PM »

Are they supposed to be a wider fit shoe?

I bought shoe stretchers (also called shoe tree for some listings) that I used to stretch out the shoe a little bit more than what it was.

They work well enough for width as well as length, but definitely work better on some shoes more so than others.  Anything with a good suede covering and less canvas will stretch way more, but if there is stitching across the shoe in areas that need to be stretched, sometimes it will not work so well, eg Old Skool across the toe area.

I modified mine to add a bit more width in areas I needed it and they work really well.

This might be not quite what anyone was thinking, but at least then I get any normal shoe and can make them fit and feel way more comfortable, rather than trying to track down very specific shoes or order any custom shoes, etc.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2023, 07:28:17 AM »
According to the website, their wides are supposed to be 5mm wider across the sole, which is exactly what I need considering my fallen arches are always hanging halfway off the side.

I ended up ordering the Old Skools last night.  Might not see them for another month but will report back upon arrival!

the_dangery_bois

• Rep: 61
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2023, 08:38:20 AM »

Very interesting, so they are a bit wider. 
I basically can’t wear vans to skate anymore because the fit changed (or I did, who knows).
I would wear them still if they were wider.
I have a few pairs around the house to chill in. For reference, I measured the soles.  Hopefully, it links properly. The widest and most comfortable are the black sole pair, which are ultra range (rapidwelds). The other two are the same width sole, one is a four eyelet suede skate pair and the other is a slip on (non skate) Those seem to have the exact same width. 
I wish I still had the wide ones I bought to double check.
Mine are all size 12 mens.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2023, 03:55:27 PM »
My wide Old Skools showed up today.  They felt about as wide as Sk8 Lows.  I know this because I immediately shipped them back for a refund, and bought Sk8 Lows from the mall instead.  Not because I didn’t like the fit, but because I assumed the toe and heel would be suede like every other pair of Old Skools I’ve ever seen.  I do not want to pay $120cdn for an all canvas shoe.