Author Topic: Atlantic Drift - Tom Knox - Recurring Dream No.15  (Read 9806 times)

RayLaFleur

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -14
Re: Atlantic Drift - Tom Knox - Recurring Dream No.15
« Reply #150 on: December 05, 2023, 04:47:05 PM »
He does an annoying rocket scoop on every trick

backside_reacharound

• Rep: -196
« Reply #151 on: December 05, 2023, 04:52:21 PM »
When you think about it there's just no way that Tom Knox isn't packing a seriously xl hog....

mstuntbless

• Rep: 11
« Reply #152 on: December 05, 2023, 08:20:20 PM »
There are some wack takes in here, fucking hell. Low impact!? Have you seen some of the spots? The roof drops, throwing himself down stairs etc.

Also, if you live in a place with perfect pavements everywhere, you probably can't quantify just how gnarly street skating in weather-beaten Britain actually is. I live in the north and you have to be really switched on constantly looking out for every crack, raised flag & pot hole...and there are an awful lot of them, everywhere.

Also, it isn't 'dainty', there's nothing dainty about mastering the crustiest of spots with such precision and guile. Edit: dainty isn't even a pejorative, what's wrong with dainty? Are you too masculine to want to appreciate something dainty? Slaps of insecurity.

It wasn't his best part by any means, but it's been one hell of a year for him. To get on a top US board company, a new pro shoe, his own signature clothing line, a great Thrasher cover and a prolific year of footage released all throughout the year, that's literal SOTY material.

I back this 100%. Having gnarly footage is a huge factor in SOTY but you gotta think about it as who is the skater that you are constantly hearing about throughout the year. For the reasons listed above, you couldnít go a month this year without hearing something about Tom. It was like that the year Foy won. He had a shoe..a contest win..a cover and some footy. A blend of everything.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #153 on: December 05, 2023, 09:35:33 PM »
This makes me wonder which pros who won SOTY had the most and least parts during the year? Of course back in the day there wasn't as much content.

SUPREMENECKPROTECTOR

• Rep: 99
« Reply #154 on: December 05, 2023, 11:41:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Doing all that while also wrangling the youths. Címon now, give this man his flowers and the trophy he deserves.
[close]
I don't doubt it's still harder to produce parts being a dad of many but let's not pretend his partner isn't pulling some extra weight allowing him free time to film so much. I'm sure she is happy to do so but credit where it's due.
[close]

Why do you assume he does his job in his free time and not during working hours?
[close]
I'm more assuming his working hours aren't the same as normal working hours and is sporatic and weekend focused. You know the same weekends the kids need to be looked after cause they aren't in school. Also, random trips to thailand, SF, and whereever else.

Business trips are a part of the job. Why would his working hours be sporadic and weekend focused? What does he do when his kids are in school and stuff? Sit around? I know Tom Asta is skating when his kids are in school.

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #155 on: December 06, 2023, 12:01:05 AM »
Should've chosen a Gordon Lightfoot song for his part

Vahbs

• Rep: 0
« Reply #156 on: December 06, 2023, 04:29:33 AM »
This makes me wonder which pros who won SOTY had the most and least parts during the year? Of course back in the day there wasn't as much content.

Chris Cole only had the shared part with Tom Asta when he got it the second time in 2009. Ride the Sky came out in 2008. Pretty much got it for doing bs 360 and switch fs flip at the back to the berg contest.

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
« Reply #157 on: December 06, 2023, 06:04:19 AM »
 A lot of you are really fucking dumb easily influenced by the whole SOTY campaign thing..

colinjustdidthenoseslide

• Rep: 6
« Reply #158 on: December 06, 2023, 06:24:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Doing all that while also wrangling the youths. Címon now, give this man his flowers and the trophy he deserves.
[close]
I don't doubt it's still harder to produce parts being a dad of many but let's not pretend his partner isn't pulling some extra weight allowing him free time to film so much. I'm sure she is happy to do so but credit where it's due.
[close]

Why do you assume he does his job in his free time and not during working hours?
[close]
I'm more assuming his working hours aren't the same as normal working hours and is sporatic and weekend focused. You know the same weekends the kids need to be looked after cause they aren't in school. Also, random trips to thailand, SF, and whereever else.
[close]

Business trips are a part of the job. Why would his working hours be sporadic and weekend focused? What does he do when his kids are in school and stuff? Sit around? I know Tom Asta is skating when his kids are in school.

A lot of spots in London are a complete bust on weekdays (and only a half bust on weekends if youíre lucky)

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -99
« Reply #159 on: December 06, 2023, 09:00:42 AM »
A lot of you are really fucking dumb easily influenced by the whole SOTY campaign thing..
Thinking that this part being released now is not a SOTY campaign is really fucking dumb perhaps a bit naive.
Tom Knox is rad.  He is really good at this type of skating.  This type of skating is not SOTY level is what most here are saying.

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -445
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #160 on: December 06, 2023, 09:06:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Thinking that this part being released now is not a SOTY campaign is really fucking dumb perhaps a bit naive.
Tom Knox is rad.  He is really good at this type of skating.  This type of skating is not SOTY level is what most here are saying.

Yeah I fucking love his parts but heís not winning SOTY now or ever with parts like this lol. And thatís fine, who really cares. Weíre just shooting the shit on the internet.

Suciu did funky quick footed tricks and skated cutty spots, but he can also handle 12+ stair rails, gaps, and high level traditional street skating.

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

Ignatius J Reilly

• Rep: 287
  • often correct
« Reply #161 on: December 06, 2023, 09:24:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
so many people in this thread have an outdated view of what "SOTY level skating" actually can be. just because he doesn't skate tons of stairs and rails or big ramps or whatever (and just because this part wasn't as good as his last atlantic drift part) doesn't mean tom isn't, for the most part, an extraordinary talent and on a level of his own. between spot hunting, the quick foot stuff, long lines, and his extraordinary level of output this year. he's doing stuff very few others could do (i guess mark suciu could take him out with some quick foot stuff, but he's not touching those crusty london spots).

does he fit the archetype for SOTY? no, and that's why he'd be a sick SOTY. but how exactly is his skating not "SOTY level"? is it because he doesn't hit his head enough? does he need to crush more beers? low average stair count? should he hang out with burnett more?

jorge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #162 on: December 06, 2023, 09:54:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
so many people in this thread have an outdated view of what "SOTY level skating" actually can be. just because he doesn't skate tons of stairs and rails or big ramps or whatever (and just because this part wasn't as good as his last atlantic drift part) doesn't mean tom isn't, for the most part, an extraordinary talent and on a level of his own. between spot hunting, the quick foot stuff, long lines, and his extraordinary level of output this year. he's doing stuff very few others could do (i guess mark suciu could take him out with some quick foot stuff, but he's not touching those crusty london spots).

does he fit the archetype for SOTY? no, and that's why he'd be a sick SOTY. but how exactly is his skating not "SOTY level"? is it because he doesn't hit his head enough? does he need to crush more beers? low average stair count? should he hang out with burnett more?
The crush beer/hit head argument is tired and dismissive of what high level skating can be, I remember these same arguments about Milton as if anyone else was fucking kickflipping into the car wash bank.  The type of things Yuto did this year are on a tech level Knox isn't touching, plus they are obviously significantly gnarlier.  Thrasher has always leaned more into the free spirit/primal side of skating (go big go fast look cool catch fuckin air) and that is what drew a lot (most?) of us into skating in the first place.  This is not Tom Knoxs thing, he is a problem solver.  Which is cool too but it isn't SOTY for Thrasher.  It's quirky and more importantly, it isn't undeniable like say a backside flip over a subway track.  EDIT-Mason Silva.  Tech plus style plus gnar part out this week.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2023, 10:07:37 AM by jorge »

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 639
« Reply #163 on: December 06, 2023, 11:56:23 AM »
lil soty rant: Thrasher defined itself largely by being reactive to performance-driven, competitive athletism ie sports. And what about soty '94 Mike Carrol? His skating has more in common with Knox than Delfino by a long shot.
Anyway, it's supposedly  skater of the year, as in this year, not a contest to check the boxes on preestablished criteria like who can jump the highest or farthest.
In my opinion, a "soty-type" of skating makes the idea of soty insignificant, which it should be anyway, except as a way of celebrating somebody who had a great year on the board and is emblematic of a moment in the culture.

jorge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #164 on: December 06, 2023, 12:08:16 PM »
lil soty rant: Thrasher defined itself largely by being reactive to performance-driven, competitive athletism ie sports. And what about soty '94 Mike Carrol? His skating has more in common with Knox than Delfino by a long shot.
Anyway, it's supposedly  skater of the year, as in this year, not a contest to check the boxes on preestablished criteria like who can jump the highest or farthest.
In my opinion, a "soty-type" of skating makes the idea of soty insignificant, which it should be anyway, except as a way of celebrating somebody who had a great year on the board and is emblematic of a moment in the culture.
I'd argue Carroll is all time classic street skating by any skaters measure, it is something universal.  Tom Knox is niche skating.  Suciu was as well except as noted in a previous post, he also threw in a ton of classic pure street skating that was next level.

Plus Carroll has arguably what, all time top 5 style? 

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1246
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #165 on: December 06, 2023, 12:29:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
EDIT-Mason Silva.  Tech plus style plus gnar part out this week.
Pretty sure you mean Miles Silvas. Unless Mason also has a part this week.

jorge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #166 on: December 06, 2023, 01:00:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
EDIT-Mason Silva.  Tech plus style plus gnar part out this week.
[close]
Pretty sure you mean Miles Silvas. Unless Mason also has a part this week.
Ha yes thank you my bad.  Not the first to mess that up.  Its real slow here at work today I shouldn't have missed that since I've been on Slap all day.

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #167 on: December 06, 2023, 03:17:08 PM »
Tom Knox SOTY. Tony V. is a curb dawg. Time to crown his king.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 996
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #168 on: December 06, 2023, 05:41:50 PM »
Who wins Soty tells me what is the temperature at the mag.
I've always been interested in the psychology of it rather than who wins.

Everything seems to be going exactly right. Mag seems just as healthy as when Jake was still physically here with us.

Passing over Funk must have been a tough one.
Most of the world doesn't understand what that shit was so yeah.

Everyone knows what a picnic table looks like. They can measure that in their minds. Big bench not so much

Also two flip tricks over the subway is crazy. Tough choice.

Funk is the main my opinion. Nothing's ever going to Trump That trick except for a kickflip over big bench. It's going to have to look sick tho. Stylistically few can hang with this latest Form of Funk.

Am I mixing two together lol?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2023, 05:48:51 PM by Uncle Flea »
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Crust

• Rep: 18
« Reply #169 on: December 07, 2023, 12:14:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Chris Cole only had the shared part with Tom Asta when he got it the second time in 2009. Ride the Sky came out in 2008. Pretty much got it for doing bs 360 and switch fs flip at the back to the berg contest.

Phelps listed Cole's skating at the Crossroads contest, and winning the "flatland contest" (Berrics) as reasons for getting SOTY 2009.

Phelper also said that the footage Cole put out between first getting it in 2005, and the subsequent years until 2009 was a factor in him earning it. So, Ride the Sky seemingly was a factor.

Seems that Thrasher can (or at least did) consider previous years output for SOTY.

Mallie

• Rep: 30
« Reply #170 on: December 07, 2023, 04:50:17 AM »
When you think about it there's just no way that Tom Knox isn't packing a seriously xl hog....

And he used it *at least* four times.
Chi vive in baracca, chi suda il salario,
Chi ruba pensioni, chi ha scarsa memoria,
Chi ha crisi interiori, chi scava nei cuori,
Chi legge la mano, chi regna sovrano,
Chi suda, chi lotta, chi mangia una volta,
Chi gli manca la casa, chi vive da solo,
Chi trova scontato, chi come ha trovato...

benboardbreaker

• Rep: 57
« Reply #171 on: December 07, 2023, 07:39:49 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTG7D1titqY

He should go back to how he skated earlier. This line is my favorite of his. Drop the Spanish spots (no hating on Spain), more london crusty spots and long lines in my opinion.

lurkluke

• Rep: 145
« Reply #172 on: December 07, 2023, 09:30:42 AM »
Tom Knox is like Radiohead.

People keep telling me it's this mind blowing thing. Assuring me that it's all important and exciting and groundbreaking. But I gotta say, I'm always bored when either one is on.

Also England. That's another similarity.

Giocattoli Inutili

• Rep: 0
« Reply #173 on: December 07, 2023, 09:51:19 AM »
Not hating on Tom, his parts are great, but it would seem quite odd that Tom would get soty before Gustav.  Pretty sure Gustav could do all of Tom's shit while half asleep.  But neither of them will ever get it anyway because Tom just won't and there is no way Gustav's doing a soty push.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #174 on: December 07, 2023, 10:31:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Phelps listed Cole's skating at the Crossroads contest, and winning the "flatland contest" (Berrics) as reasons for getting SOTY 2009.

Phelper also said that the footage Cole put out between first getting it in 2005, and the subsequent years until 2009 was a factor in him earning it. So, Ride the Sky seemingly was a factor.

Seems that Thrasher can (or at least did) consider previous years output for SOTY.

AVE had a single part the year he won and Phelps largely credited his work across the industry with scaling FA/Hockey as part of the reason he got it. It wasn't about the epic groundbreaking part. If that was the criteria then no one would win anymore unless they kickflipped the Great Wall or dropped in switch out of a helicopter.

Speaking of SOTY- has Milton had any parts since winning?

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 270
« Reply #175 on: December 07, 2023, 10:34:51 AM »
Who wins Soty tells me what is the temperature at the mag.
I've always been interested in the psychology of it rather than who wins.

Everything seems to be going exactly right. Mag seems just as healthy as when Jake was still physically here with us.

Passing over Funk must have been a tough one.
Most of the world doesn't understand what that shit was so yeah.

Everyone knows what a picnic table looks like. They can measure that in their minds. Big bench not so much

Also two flip tricks over the subway is crazy. Tough choice.

Funk is the main my opinion. Nothing's ever going to Trump That trick except for a kickflip over big bench. It's going to have to look sick tho. Stylistically few can hang with this latest Form of Funk.

Am I mixing two together lol?
+1
Last years soty race was so great. All the skating that came out must have been an high water mark, the three main players were all exciting to watch and all had a unique quality about them. and the china banks documentary as well. I also think about the big bench Ollie a lot.

one-off

• Rep: 104
« Reply #176 on: December 09, 2023, 01:39:30 PM »
Tom Knox isnít hellride enough for SOTY??

Having four kids is hellride. 24 possible combinations of tantrums

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #177 on: December 09, 2023, 01:45:22 PM »
Tom Knox isnít hellride enough for SOTY??

Having four kids is hellride. 24 possible combinations of tantrums

Nothing is more Hellride than having more than two kids in this economy.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #178 on: December 09, 2023, 10:35:12 PM »
Can't believe the amount of people that have seemed to change their tune about Tom after this part. Any Knox/Harris footage is a treat in my mind.

dallou

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #179 on: December 09, 2023, 11:55:38 PM »
Can't believe the amount of people that have seemed to change their tune about Tom after this part. Any Knox/Harris footage is a treat in my mind.

He is not a saint, we can just dislike his last outpout