Author Topic: Atlantic Drift - Tom Knox - Recurring Dream No.15  (Read 9804 times)

easymoneysniper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 13
Re: Atlantic Drift - Tom Knox - Recurring Dream No.15
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2023, 10:03:47 AM »
those saying "stop the SOTY talk" when this part was clearly dropped just in time to be a part of Tom's 2023 SOTY resume is pretty funny

brucewillis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • Die Hard. www.casualskateshop.com.br
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2023, 10:04:33 AM »
I love Tom's skating and Jacob's filmmaking, even more when they do shit together. But isn't this part too artsy by SOTY standards? Jack and Shanahan are still my SOTY picks.

wilog

• Rep: -18
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2023, 10:08:38 AM »
I feel like a lot of the valdez, no run up etc type of tricks he does would be done in an ironic way by the dime guys. when tom does them it feels like its sometimes taking itself too seriously

Rockin Robbin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 413
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2023, 10:15:50 AM »
London Calling section was cute I guess.
"Bake me a pie of love" - Steve Winwood

LebowskisRug

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2023, 10:19:32 AM »
I feel like a lot of the valdez, no run up etc type of tricks he does would be done in an ironic way by the dime guys. when tom does them it feels like its sometimes taking itself too seriously

Then why aren't they actually doin em? Surely if its that easy they could flash them on the gram for a QS Top 10 during a slow week.

Surely Tom chooses to skate rapid fire with really quick feet on spots no one else wants to skate, but I don't see the same breadth of these types of tricks from even the other types of skaters that might skate this stuff. He skates a shitload of stuff that is really hard and sketchy to skate in a way that requires technical perfection rather than sheer hellride/speed, which is always a breath of fresh air when it seems anyone and everyone can get super gnarly.

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 270
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2023, 10:19:36 AM »
It was a great video, but not soty to me. I was a huge Knox fan when vase came out, and also loved the soundtrack in this new video as it’s something in the same genre. The skating was all good, and glad he can get out and skate so much with being a family man. Loved the line through the alleyway witht he green lichen on the ledge. It looks cold and grey and I like that.
The outfits don’t work to complete the package though, he looks out of place with those denim jackets with the sheepskin collar, and at best looks like a school teacher in the fleece. Dickies just feels cheap to me.I really wish he got clothes from carhartt rather than dickies.

YMCMB

• Rep: 47
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2023, 10:21:40 AM »
What’s he gonna do? Take his 8 kids to Disney land for his Soty trip?
This is such an annoying criticism for me. Who cares that he has a family, or multiple kids even, how does it affect you?

Crust

• Rep: 18
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2023, 10:32:39 AM »
At 3:52 that very short nollie crook he does on that shitty, just about grindable curb.

Always good to see Tom bring ease to rugged spots.

Dog the Bounty Hunter

• Rep: 1
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2023, 10:36:26 AM »
Expand Quote
What’s he gonna do? Take his 8 kids to Disney land for his Soty trip?
[close]
This is such an annoying criticism for me. Who cares that he has a family, or multiple kids even, how does it affect you?

It’s 2023. Family is bad for like climate change and social justice and shit hello?!?

It’s all about being single in a studio, with Netflix, Hulu, prescription drugs, vapes, Subway, Starbucks, Tik Tok, Afhangi Runtz, white claw, Uber and as much one night sexual encounters as possible hello?
Icehead

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -279
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2023, 10:37:44 AM »
Just too many ollies, front shuvs, 180s, and 5050s. All great examples of those tricks, but just a lot of the same shit we've seen from him. The switch back smith 180 to start a line was the most surprising trick to me. The filming on the fakie flip rollercoaster was kinda botched IMO. It's way too zoomed in and his board is nearly out of frame when he pops. The up top angle makes the turn in the banks look mellower. Definitely needed an angle from the bottom. He's still has great style and I like the quick footedness, but I've got some Tom Knox fatigue now.

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -501
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2023, 10:39:52 AM »
Expand Quote
transcendent, his body of work is second to none in both quality and quantity

Expand Quote
Solid offering from Tom and Jacob as always. The true question, will it be enough to secure SOTY?
[close]
i don't see how you could argue otherwise at this point - two mini parts for NB, two atlantic drift episodes, the dickies feature, the krooked welcome video, the thrasher cover and footage, the pro shoe, and now this? who else is touching this level of productivity this year?
[close]

i love tom's skating but he definitely suffers a bit from Koston syndrome as explained by Owen Wilson circa Yeah Right

"you've got like 5 enders in your part but you don't have an ender ender and until you do, no one's gonna take you seriously"

he doesn't even have 5 enders here though, he just has 8 minutes of really great clips but nothing that has the serious wow/shock factor. that's not really the type of skater he is and that's fine and there should be and is space for that in skateboarding, but I think it doesn't really translate well to a SOTY run. even Suciu who he skates pretty similarly to in a lot of ways had a barrage of handrail and ledge nbds to pad out the quick-footed stuff during his SOTY run

basically just saying shear quantity of footage isn't the only factor here. for example, the first 2.5 minutes of this part is all filmed at one spot, seemingly over the course of maybe 2-3 days judging by the outfits. it's all great skating that i enjoyed watching but other soty contenders would probably go and spend that time getting 1-3 banger clips there instead of like 10-12 pretty good clips. those 1-3 banger clips are probably gonna be more meaningful come SOTY time than the 10-12 pretty good ones. not saying tom doesn't deserve it but i think that's how his offerings this year will be interpreted by a lot of people (including potentially thrasher) when compared to other skaters in the running

I kinda agree with all this.

I enjoyed the part, and his other stuff, but if Louie’s year was not enough, Tom’s body of work this year feels like a lesser version of that.

Loved the music, but the random interstitial stuff is too try hard artsy, and way too much of it at that.

LLN

• Rep: -2
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2023, 10:43:06 AM »
That was excellent.
Agreed that there should’ve been a second angle on that fakie flip, the photo from the bottom does the spot more justice.
Some of the criticisms in this thread are laughably bad.

Murray Hewitt

• Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2023, 10:44:59 AM »
Classic Knox. Loved that as always. Never get tired of him quick footing his way through cutty spots.

mclovin1336

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2023, 10:46:33 AM »
dang lots of advanced skate maths in this thread. I liked the part as always with tom's and jacob's stuff but can also feel the sentiment that in this context of pushing for SOTY it seems somewhat off. I am actually more surprised that they seem to really go for that title?

edit: we also have two similar threads on this part
« Last Edit: December 04, 2023, 12:55:05 PM by mclovin1336 »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2023, 10:50:47 AM »
Just too many ollies, front shuvs, 180s, and 5050s. All great examples of those tricks, but just a lot of the same shit we've seen from him. The switch back smith 180 to start a line was the most surprising trick to me. The filming on the fakie flip rollercoaster was kinda botched IMO. It's way too zoomed in and his board is nearly out of frame when he pops. The up top angle makes the turn in the banks look mellower. Definitely needed an angle from the bottom. He's still has great style and I like the quick footedness, but I've got some Tom Knox fatigue now.

Jack O'Grady's part was almost entirely heelflips, tre flips, backside 50-50s, ollies, and crooks. That wasn't a bad thing either....

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -99
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2023, 11:07:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Jack O'Grady's part was almost entirely heelflips, tre flips, backside 50-50s, ollies, and crooks. That wasn't a bad thing either....
If Tom messes up on something he reconsiders and starts the process over with minor adjustments.  If Jack misses he dies.

Shrinedescender

• Rep: 131
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2023, 11:09:30 AM »
Probably my least favorite Tom Knox part so far.

Some cool moments but the dainty quick-foot drop down ollie stuff is just not exciting to me. There's a lot of filler in here with some interesting skating sprinkled throughout. Drop-down, drop-down, backside flip? Drop-down, nosegrind, ollie, back 180 nosegrind 180 out? Drop-down manuals? Drop-down ollie, ollie, front 180, switchflip? Kicklfip manual curve to drop-down a 5ft drop? It'd be one thing if these sets were big or if Tom Knox had exemplary style, but neither of those seem to be the case.

But maybe I'm just not big-brained enough to comprehend the quick-footed precision and spot crustiness the mates have presented us with today.

Tom Knox oversaturation this year, I'm tired of seeing this dude's Blue Steel child-bearing face.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 484
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2023, 11:16:27 AM »
If Jamie Griffin had grown up with the cool kids in London, instead of in some musty little hobbit hole in Ireland, he’d be Tom Knox.  Their styles are nearly indistinguishable.

Frank Sobotka

• Rep: 60
  • We used to make shit in this country, build shit
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2023, 11:16:36 AM »
On second viewing, that quick ollie at Lloyd's is insane

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2023, 11:20:01 AM »
This edit is the best one so far maybe. I think the dudes name is Jacob.

This track got me thinking about the four track and the drum machine. I might make a demo today.

I think Knox has been skating with Mark? I think about Mark with some of those clips. Like the 50 back 80 out. Mightve been trick in. That was around when I stopped thinking nb and I remembered he's on Krooked.

His push posture kinda smacks of Mark sometimes too. Definitely when there's a short run up.

Mark throws his shoulders into everything tho. Guerilla Style

I cannot back the comparison to the hop king.

I see literally zero points of contact.

Trick selection
Style
Or abilities

This is an apples and cheeseburgers situation.

Y'all just think the Welsh all look the same.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

bohemian

• Rep: -289
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2023, 11:31:13 AM »
3 inch curbs and 5 stairs over and over. this dude is a joke.

alraunen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 235
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2023, 11:36:47 AM »
The Mallorca intro is absolutely incredible, what a way to destroy a spot. Honestly that part for me stood out over any other part of the year.

The Knox/Harris has to be one of the best combos skater/filmer ever.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 136
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2023, 11:47:29 AM »
If Jamie Griffin had grown up with the cool kids in London, instead of in some musty little hobbit hole in Ireland, he’d be Tom Knox.  Their styles are nearly indistinguishable.

You're off one right now lmao

theoriginalgoon

• Rep: -63
  • eight equals d
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2023, 11:52:16 AM »
We get it dude, you have quick feet. Who fucking cares. Used to like Tom Knox but his stupid little dainty trick selection is starting to piss me off
Me: I found skate Jesus.

Slap: Yeah, well maybe if he does the crucifix switch I will believe it.

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1935
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2023, 11:55:51 AM »
has tom finally jumped the jellyfish

LebowskisRug

« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2023, 11:56:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
If Tom messes up on something he reconsiders and starts the process over with minor adjustments.  If Jack misses he dies.

right so rolling switch down a narrow, slippery, quintuple kink ledge that ends on a sidewalk into a 4 lane busy street is hella safe.

Obviously Jack is fucking gnarly, buy you cannot complain about diversity of trick selection as that is separate from level of gnar. There are aspects about how things are done/where that make versions of the same trick interesting.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 639
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2023, 12:10:43 PM »

the random interstitial stuff is too try hard artsy, and way too much of it at that.

I disagree, but like your use of interstitial. I think it's a pretty good term for what's going on here generally.

Maybe Tom can be this generation's Salman Agah.

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -99
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2023, 12:14:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

right so rolling switch down a narrow, slippery, quintuple kink ledge that ends on a sidewalk into a 4 lane busy street is hella safe.

Obviously Jack is fucking gnarly, buy you cannot complain about diversity of trick selection as that is separate from level of gnar. There are aspects about how things are done/where that make versions of the same trick interesting.
Yeah that switch roll in was sick no question.
The rest is as many others have pointed out super dainty and I personally thought we were all over this kinda thing but I guess not.   He seems smart I guess.  I’m admittedly biased as I think the whole notion of Slaps “tasteful low impact” skating is super overrated.  This guy embodies that. 

DirtyCheddarKids

• Rep: 32
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2023, 12:18:52 PM »
Y’all are tripping. That was an absolutely beautiful part. Great editing. Great skating. Tom skates so many spots in ways others would never imagine and skates spots that most other skateboarders wouldn’t even consider spots. The way he puts lines together is just so tasteful, god damn.
Quote from: Uncle Flea
4 shoes is impressive AF. I could barely sell drugs.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -774
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2023, 12:19:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Yeah that switch roll in was sick no question.
The rest is as many others have pointed out super dainty and I personally thought we were all over this kinda thing but I guess not.   He seems smart I guess.  I’m admittedly biased as I think the whole notion of Slaps “tasteful low impact” skating is super overrated.  This guy embodies that.

Are you 15?
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in