Author Topic: Atlantic Drift - Tom Knox - Recurring Dream No.15  (Read 9805 times)

wiggitywiggity

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 25
  • You Don't Gnome Me Man!
Re: Atlantic Drift - Tom Knox - Recurring Dream No.15
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2023, 12:23:00 PM »
Disagree with 70% of the takes here. That Banked Fakie Flip absolutely had "banger" wow-factor, just maybe not so quantifiable. I mean, look at that fucking thing?!

Normally someone being way too prolific with skate parts tends to ruin them for me, but not the Tom Knox/Jacob Harris combo. It's absolutely glorious & more is better with these two.

Sidenote, I swear that song sounded so familiar. Has that song been used in a part before? Or an ode to an older AD edit perhaps?
EDIT: searched it & it was in A Happy Medium 5 so obviously no foul here. Carry on
« Last Edit: December 04, 2023, 12:30:12 PM by wiggitywiggity »

ejazzle

• Rep: 48
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2023, 12:36:33 PM »
I'm just going to preface this by saying tom knox and max palmer are my two favorite skaters as of late.

Tom's trick selection these last couple parts almost seems like he's trolling us. These tricks in the first 2 minutes have me scratching my head. A lot of the clips at the beginning and throughout this part don't belong in someone like Tom Knox's part, let alone a SOTY campaign part. I think people are overlooking a lot of it because he's "Tom Knox" and it almost seems like he's leaning into it. Tom needs a spanking and I dont mind doing it.

Monolithic Flick

• Rep: 5
« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2023, 12:38:15 PM »
I liked the video and the vibe.

devils acrobat

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 102
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2023, 12:59:44 PM »
I would pay to watch this in a cinema

chudzinski

• Rep: -2
« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2023, 01:05:46 PM »
Unfortunately I agree with a lot of the sentiments in this thread. I think the Mark Suciu/Tom Knox style of quick feet low impact skating peaked when Mark won SOTY in 2021, but more realistically before that. I think we are all fatigued by it at this point. I hate to say it, but often times it just doesnít look good and comes off as kind of sloppy.

RoughStylin

• Rep: 33
« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2023, 01:09:15 PM »
Itís possible to have too much of a good thing

RoughStylin

• Rep: 33
« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2023, 01:10:50 PM »
Please give him the award so he can relax in 2024

Stu Pickles

• Rep: 91
« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2023, 01:17:27 PM »
this part was amazing, so many cool sequences and spots. fakie flip into the skinny brick kinked bank is so wild. i really liked the start with the ledge + stair combos, love seeing cool variations on the same spot in a part.

this part seems to be suffering from the SOTY season hype. gotta be hard to release a part this time of year and have it taken for what it is by skate nerds rather then another entry on the soty resume to be argued about

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1151
« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2023, 01:18:04 PM »
Please give him the award so he can relax in 2024

That's exactly what I said about Suciu in 2021.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

easymoneysniper

• Rep: 13
« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2023, 01:27:50 PM »
obviously that fakie flip down that kinked ledge thing is crazy. that clip was great and his powerslide revert out of it was super stylish. but i just think they should've shown a heavy bail or two to give Tom & the spot more life. dude does everything perfect so there's little character in his style and skating. he also may have done it first try, so more power to him. but a heavy slam will always make me appreciate the trick and spot more.

Not A Damn Chance

• Rep: 89
  • Banned from Slam
« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2023, 01:34:49 PM »
The Mallorca intro is absolutely incredible, what a way to destroy a spot. Honestly that part for me stood out over any other part of the year.

The Knox/Harris has to be one of the best combos skater/filmer ever.

I agree, I really enjoyed the Mallorca section as well!
Atlantic drift never disappoints, going to watch again.

yungthug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -37
« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2023, 01:40:47 PM »
Coulda been a great three minute part of the best of what we were offered here. Some fantastic filming and clips, but too much ollieing down a bunch of three stairs to a kickflip up a two stair to a quick back 180 down a moderately sized gap.

Mark Suciu syndrome.

The hippy jump to ollie down the stair set ender was sick as fuck and a great application of this type of skateboarding. Just think some of the footage could have stayed on the editing room floor.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 310
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2023, 01:42:23 PM »
Where was this in the video? (2nd photo)

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cy4XPzVtVO-/?img_index=2

I think it's really just different strokes for different folks. His skating is not going to appeal to all skaters as well as Pedro's skating. Got to give him a ton of credit for putting out so much footage this year. Sort of reminds of a Sucui run.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2023, 01:49:07 PM »
That last fakie flip took my breath away. I donít know how to sum up my feelings but, Tom Knox is a skateboarder I believe in.

Wild stuff, way too much to process in one viewing. Thank you Jacob harris, damn.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Arto!Arto!WakeUp!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 185
« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2023, 02:00:18 PM »
tail slide to switch crook around the lamp post is my fave clip of the year i reckon. god tier.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2023, 02:18:49 PM »
I know some people won't believe this, but maybe Tom actually isn't targting SOTY and doesn't care about it as much as the fact that he got on a new board company, got a pro shoe, went on trips with friends, and got pro clothing for Dickies in the same year and felt obliged to put out footage for each occasion?

I think if we didn't have the Bangkok video and some of the other footage was more condensed into this part and some of the less impressive stuff in this part was left out then people might be less disappointed. The disappointment probably comes from expecting a magnum opus due to SOTY talk. I am sure his sponsors would be fine with him getting it, but from his interviews it really doesn't seem like something that would ever be on his mind.

double fakie ollie grind

• Rep: 5
« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2023, 02:28:06 PM »
I enjoyed the part a lot. The sw heel to sw heel two piece was super sick to me. I didnít enjoy the flat ledge tricks to stair ollies at the beginning and was worried I was getting bored of Tom or the part just wasnít gonna be that good but I thought it built up really nicely by the end. Shanahan is still my soty pick but I wouldnít be mad at Tom getting it.

Mandatory Reload

• Rep: 74
« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2023, 02:29:55 PM »
I know some people won't believe this, but maybe Tom actually isn't targting SOTY and doesn't care about it as much as the fact that he got on a new board company, got a pro shoe, went on trips with friends, and got pro clothing for Dickies in the same year and felt obliged to put out footage for each occasion?

I think if we didn't have the Bangkok video and some of the other footage was more condensed into this part and some of the less impressive stuff in this part was left out then people might be less disappointed. The disappointment probably comes from expecting a magnum opus due to SOTY talk. I am sure his sponsors would be fine with him getting it, but from his interviews it really doesn't seem like something that would ever be on his mind.

blows my mind that people think this. if youíre not interested in being considered for SOTY, you donít drop an 8 minute video part on Thrasherís Youtube channel the first week of December. That simply is not how it works lol you truly tryina tell me you think itís purely coincidental this part came out on their platform days before Thrasher usually announces SOTY but is entirely unrelated? címon man.

if you were right and Tom/Thrasher/his sponsors did not want this part to be considered in the SOTY conversation, i would have to say that they are exercising truly awful decision-making in timing the release, so awful that itís pretty much unbelievable lol

yghartsyrt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 165
« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2023, 02:34:05 PM »
That Ollie at Lloydís and the lamp post clip stood out.
Not super excited about this part. Iíve been more stoked about other Tom Knox parts than this one.

I always enjoy Jacob Harris work. Even if comes off as a little too artsy, but it has a similar vibe as early Alien Workshop Videos.
The picture of the ender looked way more crazy than the filmed version due to the angle - bummer

sizzle_chest

• Rep: -12
  • Kookin' Ain't Easy
« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2023, 02:35:53 PM »
I like that he stokes himself out after he lands his tricks. Like he's got 12 kids at home and he's out here giggling in the streets over the tricks he just landed. SOTY.
Quote from: EdLawndale on October 13, 2021, 12:03:45 PM
You just became my favorite Slap poster

LebowskisRug

« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2023, 02:45:11 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

blows my mind that people think this. if youíre not interested in being considered for SOTY, you donít drop an 8 minute video part on Thrasherís Youtube channel the first week of December. That simply is not how it works lol you truly tryina tell me you think itís purely coincidental this part came out on their platform days before Thrasher usually announces SOTY but is entirely unrelated? címon man.

if you were right and Tom/Thrasher/his sponsors did not want this part to be considered in the SOTY conversation, i would have to say that they are exercising truly awful decision-making in timing the release, so awful that itís pretty much unbelievable lol

I would wager it has more to due with his sponsors than him. Historically DLX has been part of most SOTY runs in some way especially recently when people would have a Spitfire or board company part. Since Tom is on Krooked and NB is also likely interested in such a game given his shoe dropping, it would make sense that they had a say in timinig. Unlike Suciu who openly admitted designing all of his year and footage to specifically target the award. For Tom it probably happened organically due to the reasons above and having so much footage. I doubt he went into January 1st 2023 with that as the target instead of the big marquee items I mentioned above.

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -366
« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2023, 02:53:57 PM »
Part would be sicker if he didn't skate all perfect spots.

Shrinedescender

• Rep: 131
« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2023, 02:58:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I would wager it has more to due with his sponsors than him. Unlike Suciu who openly admitted designing all of his year and footage to specifically target the award. For Tom it probably happened organically due to the reasons above and having so much footage. I doubt he went into January 1st 2023 with that as the target instead of the big marquee items I mentioned above.

That's why I think it would be healthier for the culture if SOTY just stopped. It's gotten too competitive and bastardized from what it was intended to be. I have the feeling that sponsors push too much on certain guys to be putting shit out and having their faces everywhere and then a lot of people are left irritated and burnt out on certain skaters in the end.

The fact that skating has a campaign circuit at all is something that irks me. You have all these people doing great things on a skateboard and putting parts together, and then it ends up being judged in contest because sponsors want to make a 'push' and cram everything in the last month or two of the year.

Unfortunately there's too much corporate interest in having something where their guy can be 'the guy' for a year and that kinda money makes it hard for things to change.

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -99
« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2023, 03:12:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I would wager it has more to due with his sponsors than him. Unlike Suciu who openly admitted designing all of his year and footage to specifically target the award. For Tom it probably happened organically due to the reasons above and having so much footage. I doubt he went into January 1st 2023 with that as the target instead of the big marquee items I mentioned above.
[close]

That's why I think it would be healthier for the culture if SOTY just stopped. It's gotten too competitive and bastardized from what it was intended to be. I have the feeling that sponsors push too much on certain guys to be putting shit out and having their faces everywhere and then a lot of people are left irritated and burnt out on certain skaters in the end.

The fact that skating has a campaign circuit at all is something that irks me. You have all these people doing great things on a skateboard and putting parts together, and then it ends up being judged in contest because sponsors want to make a 'push' and cram everything in the last month or two of the year.

Unfortunately there's too much corporate interest in having something where their guy can be 'the guy' for a year and that kinda money makes it hard for things to change.
Fuck that SOTY season is sick.  Everyone dropping crazy footage all at once I love it.  This part was sick, so was Jacks and Shanahans.  Canít wait to see Miles and Yutos upcoming parts.

Arto!Arto!WakeUp!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 185
« Reply #84 on: December 04, 2023, 03:15:06 PM »
Part would be sicker if he didn't skate all perfect spots.

your comment is almost as fucked as some of the spots tom skates.

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 399
« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2023, 03:20:30 PM »
Imagine a new Knox/Harris part drops and 80 percent of slap is complaining about it. SOTY derangement syndrome. Happiness = reality minus expectations.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2023, 03:36:09 PM by RoaryMcTwang »

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 786
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2023, 03:25:04 PM »
It's Thrasher SOTY, not SOTY. Whoever is selected is going to be whoever makes people want to visit the website, follow their socials, buy Thrasher clothes and buy magazines off of the newsstand. Whose skating is going drive the most traffic for Thrasher's demographic?

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1063
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2023, 04:08:50 PM »
one of the parts of the year

snowman600

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
« Reply #88 on: December 04, 2023, 04:15:34 PM »
Mallorca + Branca = perfection

disgruntledMTAEmployee

• Rep: -397
« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2023, 04:33:06 PM »
one of the parts of the year

spot on

fucking 8 minutes of baby shit jesus christ.

like others have said, he's a discount mark suciu minus the whole skating really narrow stuff thing, also looks worse on a board than mark but probably less annoying irl. also mark can skate transition

whoever started that "skateboarding (media) is stale and bland" thread wasn't exactly wrong.

totally flaccid on this one.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2023, 04:41:13 PM by disgruntledMTAEmployee »