Author Topic: vert alert 2023 mens finals  (Read 1073 times)

fineslime

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
  • downward is heavenward
vert alert 2023 mens finals
« on: December 04, 2023, 08:09:17 PM »
http://youtu.be/b0j075FG15I

for all my fellow vert nerds: tony hawk's vert alert 2023 wrapped up this weekend and the contest was (excuse my language) FLIPPED UP! if park is in the Olympics, vert 100% should be too.... the limits of vert skating are still being pushed and vert skating looks better than it ever has. these dude's are absolutely pyscho.

shout out Moto Shibata - that dude is the real deal!!! Jimmy Wilkins, Tom Schaar, Moto, and Damestoy are some of the best vert skaters to ever do it and they're doing it live, right now!!!

disgruntledMTAEmployee

• Rep: -397
Re: vert alert 2023 mens finals
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2023, 08:52:07 PM »
Don't fade the women's finals.

Bryce does a hippie jump

yes, she does a fucking hippie jump on vert

never seen that before.

edit: i think i seen all this shit before, this stuff is actually old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROqUuBecSBE

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 612
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2023, 11:18:58 PM »

for all my fellow vert nerds: tony hawk's vert alert 2023 wrapped up this weekend and the contest was (excuse my language) FLIPPED UP! if park is in the Olympics, vert 100% should be too.... the limits of vert skating are still being pushed and vert skating looks better than it ever has. these dude's are absolutely pyscho.

shout out Moto Shibata - that dude is the real deal!!! Jimmy Wilkins, Tom Schaar, Moto, and Damestoy are some of the best vert skaters to ever do it and they're doing it live, right now!!!

Yup. That shit was wild.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • downward is heavenward
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2023, 11:40:18 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yup. That shit was wild.

@Sedition - your sig has always stood out to me. that photo reminds me of what skateboarding felt like when I first started. there's a raw yet cozy nostaliga about it. great to see you in the thread!

Edit: OH SHIT WAIT - you're the past participle!?!?! MAKES SENSE!!!

cheers mate! thank you!!!

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2023, 04:52:29 AM »
Thanks for posting, I would've missed that. Always love me some good vert skating. Not sure how popular it is at the moment but the skill level is bonkers.

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 236
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2023, 05:00:20 AM »
Bryce's hippie jump at 09:22. But actually, just watch the whole thing. Damn good skating.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 916
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2023, 09:28:35 AM »
Thanks for posting, I would've missed that. Always love me some good vert skating. Not sure how popular it is at the moment but the skill level is bonkers.

Good? That shit was 40+min of non-stop insanity - 30-40second runs of the best of the best. 14yr olds throwing out 900s back to 5s, just crazy.

That said, I was disappointed to not see as many lip tricks. Big air sells I guess.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • downward is heavenward
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2023, 08:02:34 PM »
do any pals here actually skate vert?

pops

• Rep: 216
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2023, 10:34:46 PM »
That was insane, some of those runs were fire. I think Moto should've been 1st maybe,  idk. I find Gui and Paul Luc the least intresting every time, their stuff gets kinda bland fast.

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 236
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2023, 11:20:53 PM »

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2023, 01:26:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Good? That shit was 40+min of non-stop insanity - 30-40second runs of the best of the best. 14yr olds throwing out 900s back to 5s, just crazy.

That said, I was disappointed to not see as many lip tricks. Big air sells I guess.

You're right, I apologize for using a lackluster adjective.

Not yet, but it's kinda on my bucket list like running a marathon is for a lot of normies. I got mad respect for vert rippers and frankly don't feel comfortable giving it a go just yet. My local indoor park has a dusty ass vert ramp that still sees a lot of action though, so when I'm ready to commit I've at least got a couple of homies who can give me some pointers.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65259
  • Team -65K
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2023, 04:57:14 AM »
Big Air killed vert for a few years. Now that they have reached the limit of what can be done on a Megaramp, vert seems to make a comeback.

Great development imho, it's so much more fun to see somebody like Wilkins do a full run than somebody do a 1260 on a mega.

I wonder if somebody will do a 720 cab someday, I remember Tony Hawk saying in an interview that trick is impossible. 

But now Wilkins is doing ollie 540s 5 or 6 feet out.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • downward is heavenward
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2023, 01:40:22 PM »
http://youtu.be/qIcn-dOvvVQ

men's best trick went off. the alley oop kf mctwist bails are so insane. imagine being completely upside down 8 feet above a 13 foot vert ramp.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2023, 05:54:20 AM »

There are/were a few guys on here who have some skills.

Vert is scary. I never made it past drop-in, backside scratcher, and undecked bs rock. It probably helps to attempt it before 25.

Itís also entirely dependent upon having access to a good ramp to learn on. I guess when youíre good a 13 footer is fine but I thought 11-12í was noticeably more manageable for a beginner.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2023, 07:03:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Yup. That shit was wild.
[close]

@Sedition - your sig has always stood out to me. that photo reminds me of what skateboarding felt like when I first started. there's a raw yet cozy nostaliga about it. great to see you in the thread!

Edit: OH SHIT WAIT - you're the past participle!?!?! MAKES SENSE!!!

cheers mate! thank you!!!

My sig file pic is me at a parking garage at Tufts University. It was a great winter spot a few years back. And yes, I am the pastparticiple guy. Thanks for the kind words.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2023, 07:06:29 AM »
...it's so much more fun to see somebody like Wilkins do a full run than somebody do a 1260 on a mega.

FACTS.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2023, 07:58:54 AM »
this is wild. I wonder if Damestoy lives in France, cause he would feel pretty lonely! Vert riders are super super rare out here....

I never got past dropping in and 50-50's but I kinda wish I had put more effort into it when I was younger. Just floating bs airs looks so fun.

Wilkins' bs 360 ollies look incredible! and terrifying.

oh and since this is a thread for transition connoisseurs I stumbled upon Mitchie Brusco's youtube channel recently, the way he breaks down tricks is amazing. might be considered kooky but I really picked up pointers in there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FAjJtSc-pU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nODHcEn6EeI

pops

• Rep: 216
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2023, 09:39:17 PM »
http://youtu.be/qIcn-dOvvVQ

men's best trick went off. the alley oop kf mctwist bails are so insane. imagine being completely upside down 8 feet above a 13 foot vert ramp.

Brusco looks comical with those kickflip 9 attempts, lol.