Author Topic: I think a coworker has MRSA  (Read 1806 times)

fineslime

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
  • I cut my grip with Occam's razor
I think a coworker has MRSA
« on: January 02, 2024, 10:46:35 AM »
this might be a bit of a weird and lengthy thread, but I'd genuinely like some advice on a situation that's putting literally hundreds of people at risk each day.

I work in a very popular semi-upscale restaurant that has pattern of hiring felons and drug addicts, ex-users and (clearly) people who are currently using. I'm not sure what they officially call that hiring style, but it's a, "second chance employment," type place that has connections with local halfway homes and the sheriff's department. in fact, I'm one of the few people who has never been arrested. this may not come as a shock, but these hires never last longer than a few months, sometimes even just a few weeks or days. recently, we had a dishwasher who worked for only 3 days, and each day he was straight up tweaking harder than the last. he was so twacked out he thought the music in the restaurant was being played to send him messages and to fuck with him. he also flooded the kitchen.

sometimes though, the people they hire work out, and some of my coworkers are truly trying to get their lives together. I'm totally down for that. just because you fuck up,  that doesn't mean you don't deserve a chance to turn it around...

a server started about 2 months ago who, at first, seemed like he had it together somewhat, but the very first day I met him I knew he was using hard drugs, meth to be specific. on that first day, he wasn't giving off those dishwasher's vibes, but he couldn't make eye contact with anyone. his fingers were trembling using the POS system and his movement was that of someone on speed. it was just very apparent to me, and he shows up to work like this all the time.

as he started to make steady money, his behavior and the way he looks has just gone down hill. he has lost a tremendous amount of weight and when he started he was already rail-thin. his legs are legitimately as big as my forearms. if a legally blind person had 10 people in a line up, and was asked to point out the one meth or fentanyl user, you'd think they had 20/20 vision.  he's been calling off work, no call no showed, he's not being adequate in his performance, etc. although I'd obviously prefer not to, I don't have a problem working with people who use substances AS LONG AS they can keep it to themselves and do their job. the restaurant is so busy that its all-hands-on-deck all the time, and you have to be on your game.

roughly 3 - 4 weeks ago, a gnarly infection mixed with track marks popped up on both his arms; an infection that comes from using dirty needles, one arm being way worse than the other... giant red blotches and abscesses. one of my closest friends is an ex user, and years ago I took him to the hospital for the very same thing. I know what infections like that look like. when it first showed up on him, he was not covering them with bandages (although he did a few days later and he still is.) about a week after that infection popped up, he lost all this mobility in his shoulder and is unable to pick up his arm more than 90 degrees at the elbow. this leads me to believe he has some sort of blood infection because that dude didn't tear a rotator cuff playing pickleball. a few coworkers asked him what was going on with his arms, and he said he got an infection because he fell when he was wrestling. total bullshit of course.

this is where he is putting not just myself and my other coworkers, but guests of the restaurant in danger:

his arm is covered in band-aids that are unsecured to his arm. they aren't also wrapped in cloth bandages, they're just regular square band-aids, and he does not wear long sleeve shirts. you can clearly see blood coming out of holes and that is soaking through the band aid, and they have been bleeding like that for weeks. when we carry multiple plates of food, you have to rest the plates on your arms so you can carry more than 2 at a time. he's putting plates on top of those band aids.

I recently spoke to one of my lower level managers about the situation, but they have a very flippant and somewhat dismissive attitude towards it. I know that no one in management has spoken to him about what's going on with his arms, and I'm pretty sure it's because it is a health issue. it's getting to the point where I don't feel comfortable working around him anymore. he has giant open bleeding wounds that he puts food on top of. on top of that, he's got a super bad attitude.

I've talked to my family and a few coworkers I'm close with about it, and my mom thinks I need to call corporate and report it, but she thinks I should do it anonymously. again, he seems like he has a good heart, but he is fully in the throws of a very serious addiction and is suffering from a very serious infection...

after typing all of this out, it's like, "no shit, of course you need to call," but I would hate to be the reasons someone loses their job. I'd also hate to contract a highly contagious blood disease.

pals, honestly, what would you do if you were in my shoes?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 11:13:50 AM by fineslime »

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 206
Re: I think a coworker has MRSA
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2024, 10:58:34 AM »
That’s a gnarly one for sure. I generally stand strongly in the “no tattling, no cops” camp for the vast majority of scenarios, but for this case I think you’ve gotta make the call.

Whatever the next phase for your co-worker, you will know that you, your other coworkers, and your guests will be safer. And honestly, it could put him in a better scenario than his current cycle of acquiring just enough cash to feed his habit in a (clearly) unhealthy manner.

Since your restaurant prides themselves on being a second chance place of employment, maybe someone at upper management can help more or have better connections to some of the local programs and resources available?

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 780
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2024, 11:06:53 AM »
i'd take this up the chain for sure. this dude absolutely deserves a chance to get his life on track but is about fall off again really quick. no one is helping him by ignoring this. and i'm sure what you are seeing is in violation of health and safety guidelines.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2024, 11:07:00 AM »
That’s a gnarly one for sure. I generally stand strongly in the “no tattling, no cops” camp for the vast majority of scenarios, but for this case I think you’ve gotta make the call.

Whatever the next phase for your co-worker, you will know that you, your other coworkers, and your guests will be safer. And honestly, it could put him in a better scenario than his current cycle of acquiring just enough cash to feed his habit in a (clearly) unhealthy manner.

Since your restaurant prides themselves on being a second chance place of employment, maybe someone at upper management can help more or have better connections to some of the local programs and resources available?

thanks for the response. I'm of the same mindset, which is why I feel so conflicted. I will not make a call to anyone unless it is absolutely necessary. I had a similar thought about how him working as a server and having cash every single day is not helping him in his life right now... on top of all the things I've mentioned, he is rolling silverware at the end of the night, touching cups, and if we ever get extra food to share with each other, he is eating off them and over them.

wow... now that I've written all this out, I cannot in good conscious not call.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2024, 11:08:57 AM »
i'd take this up the chain for sure. this dude absolutely deserves a chance to get his life on track but is about fall off again really quick. no one is helping him by ignoring this. and i'm sure what you are seeing is in violation of health and safety guidelines.

1000% - even though it wasn't the GM, I can say that I brought it up to management, and there was nothing done about it.

here's my question though - do I call as an anonymous employee, or as a guest of the restaurant? my gut tells me if I call as a guest it will be taken more seriously... either way, I am not going to be giving my name.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2024, 11:15:23 AM »
This is a massive risk for spreading hepatitis or something to a customer or other employees. I wouldn’t think twice about narc’ing on him. What if a kid got sick.

Tell your boss to get him off the line immediately. Hell, email him so he can’t deny it and if you get blowback you now have a paper trail.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2024, 11:19:33 AM »
This is a massive risk for spreading hepatitis or something to a customer or other employees. I wouldn’t think twice about narc’ing on him. What if a kid got sick.

Tell your boss to get him off the line immediately. Hell, email him so he can’t deny it and if you get blowback you now have a paper trail.

hepatitis didn't even cross my mind. wow. he's a server so it's not like he's hiding away in the kitchen, he is on the floor interacting with hundreds of people every day.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 509
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2024, 11:26:58 AM »
If he’s that down in the dregs already, it’s quite possible that taking it up the chain will send his life into a deeper downward spiral and something worse than getting fired might happen to him.

But like you said, you say nothing and the health of you and everyone else is at risk… Personally, I’d start looking for a job where the majority of coworkers wouldn’t be a liability to my well-being.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2024, 11:31:52 AM »
If he’s that down in the dregs already, it’s quite possible that taking it up the chain will send his life into a deeper downward spiral and something worse than getting fired might happen to him.

But like you said, you say nothing and the health of you and everyone else is at risk… Personally, I’d start looking for a job where the majority of coworkers wouldn’t be a liability to my well-being.

I totally get what you're saying, but I make more money here than I've ever made in my life, and I genuinely love my job and its providing me a really nice life and stability right now. I wouldn't leave over someone who is inevitably going to quit or lose their job one way or another.

also, when it comes to him getting fired and how it might affect him; addicts are going to do what they're gonna do. enabling them or taking on guilt over their decisions should not outweigh the health of others who have nothing do with him, other than coming in contact with them while the work at or spend money at the establishment.

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2024, 11:40:10 AM »
There's a degree responsibility that comes with (deliberately) hiring clearly at risk employees and your manager or whoever dismissed you is clearly slacking in that department. This reeks of exploitation/ taking advantage. Can't you just talk to the guy himself?

Also what restaurant (chain?) is this?

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 971
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2024, 12:17:10 PM »
All you can do is when the topic comes up only

Offer a ride to the walk in

I got an infection at age 20

Was in the wheelchair for like 6-8 months maybe more. I had to learn to walk again and everything.

I resisted. Skatebloarding was gone. I wanted to die.

I got out the hospital. Dug up a dirty needle out the back yard and made myself sick again because life in the hospital was better.

I escaped to LA when the probation department suddenly decided I was in violation and had to go to a state hospital for recovery out of the blue.

Fuckthat! Never go peacefully into injustice. I had done nothing but roll around in a wheelchair for months and months.

I came back when to jail got out and moved to the south end.

Other skaters except like 4 hated my ass. I was violent and angry. My bag was basically gone. All but my power. I could still get over a trash can with ease.

A local pro who I respected above all others said to me. You should move to NYC before it's too late.

I should have listened.

If I was you I'd offer some supplies to clean the wounds as an ice breaker. Maybe you can help them before they have burnt a hole in their heart and not even a pic line can save them.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2024, 12:19:19 PM »
Maybe no one's ever shown that they care about them and their health.

It's hard fixing these things when you have negative self-esteem.

I've got staph still. It just wont stop coming back. All I got do is skip a shower after street skating and it back.
(A)pl(E)

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2024, 12:20:38 PM »
There's a degree responsibility that comes with (deliberately) hiring clearly at risk employees and your manager or whoever dismissed you is clearly slacking in that department. This reeks of exploitation/ taking advantage. Can't you just talk to the guy himself?

Also what restaurant (chain?) is this?

eh, I see where you're coming from, but he's there on his own free will and he does do his job enough to where he couldn't get fired over performance. saying its explotative is a little much, but again, I see why you'd say that.

also, that's a piece of personal information I don't want to divulge. lets just say it is not a chain like Applebees or TGIFridays.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2024, 12:45:42 PM »
Maybe you should get closer. Then take them to the exchange to education on getting high safe?

You can't be banging up all over your arms and s*** and be sticking your hands and dirty dishes everyday. It's just not going to work out for them.

Endocarditis
Osteomyelitis
Amputation

That's the road they could be on
(A)pl(E)

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2024, 12:50:38 PM »
I think there’s importance in not getting people sick beyond the obvious reason: it’d be a shame if a business like this got shut down as a consequence of having hiring practices that are so important for it to stay open

vicious cycle

• Rep: 165
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2024, 01:03:30 PM »
I don't know man.. I would talk to who ever is the big boss over there and make clear that this situation is unacceptable. Not for the workers and even more so for the customer. I mean, at least they have to check this guy for illness.. It's a fucking restaurant.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2024, 01:08:25 PM »
one time like 10 years ago i had just got my first cushy office job and that weekend i took a awkward slam that ended up scraping the skin off all my knuckles and then no one at work really talked to me until i explained that i wasnt just getting into fistfights or something. have you considered your coworker may be an amateur bee keeper?

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 216
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2024, 01:34:37 PM »
I think there’s importance in not getting people sick beyond the obvious reason: it’d be a shame if a business like this got shut down as a consequence of having hiring practices that are so important for it to stay open

I totally agree here. If the restaurant is shut down, because your coworker is responsible for getting someone sick or just because he got reported by a guest or any similar scenario, not only he looses his job, but also you and all your colleagues, who are trying to make the best out of the second chance they got.

@fineslime:  It's not clear how close you two guys are at work. So i'm not sure, how much of a good idea it might be, just trying to talk to him first. I must also say that my experiences with addicts of that caliber are rather slim.

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2024, 02:53:54 PM »
Tell him to wrap that shit up properly and to go get it checked out because it's not cool to be bleeding everywhere at a restaurant. Anyone should be able to understand that. If a friendly advice doesn't work then fuck that guy report him to whoever can and will do something about it. Better than the whole place potentially getting shut down

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 222
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2024, 03:08:03 PM »
Tell him to wrap that shit up properly and to go get it checked out because it's not cool to be bleeding everywhere at a restaurant. Anyone should be able to understand that. If a friendly advice doesn't work then fuck that guy report him to whoever can and will do something about it. Better than the whole place potentially getting shut down

Just talk to the guy. Be respectful and friendly but you’re going to have to address it yourself if no one is listening. See if he needs help and offer to help.
At least you can say you tried…

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1194
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2024, 03:54:51 PM »
after typing all of this out, it's like, "no shit, of course you need to call," but I would hate to be the reasons someone loses their job. I'd also hate to contract a highly contagious blood disease.

pals, honestly, what would you do if you were in my shoes?

First off, you aren’t the reason he lost his job, he is.  Second, isn’t he potentially taking up a spot that could be filled by another more committed recovering addict?  Third, you should feel no guilt at all for trying to protect you, your co-workers and general public. 

I’m very sorry for him being a drug addict, but that doesn't magically absolve him from having to follow the rules just like everyone else.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 04:01:33 PM by SneakySecrets »
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2024, 06:17:48 PM »
Are you absolutely sure it’s a drug thing and not some other kind of chronic illness or disability?  You might be jumping the gun making assumptions.  I had a chronic autoimmune disorder that made me look a lot like what you described, and I’m sure people assumed I was on drugs even thought I’d never touched the stuff.  If he had a blood infection/sepsis he would probably be on his deathbed in the hospital not working at a restaurant.  If he has open wounds oozing pus at work, that’s something your manager needs to deal with.  Claiming the guy is in drugs with no real proof might bite you in the ass.
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2024, 07:08:25 PM »
Why do you think it's MRSA?

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2024, 07:22:53 PM »
thx i wasn’t gonna eat ever again anyways
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

sharkjumper

• Rep: 40
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2024, 07:43:35 PM »
Improperly covered wounds like that are clearly a health hazard and I think a health code violation.
Take that to the GM. If they don’t listen, an anonymous report to your local restaurant health authority will get some action. In my experience, the health authority will inspect and when they see the violation, it’s typically like a fix-it ticket. They try to get the restaurant to rectify it, and check back to make sure it has happened. It shouldn’t get the dude fired, but will hopefully get dude to bandage and cover his arms.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2024, 07:58:47 PM »
woah! I just got home from work (surprise surprise) and there are a lot of things to unpack and address! this is going to be a lengthy post too...

first of all, thanks to everyone who took the time to read the post and give me their two cents. because of it, I did make an anonymous call to the corporate office before I went into work tonight. after typing everything out and reading all the responses about how dangerous the situation is, about how a child could get hurt, etc., I felt that I had a burden of responsibility to try and reach someone about this. I also spoke to a coworker of mine (one of the only coworkers I truly consider a friend and trust,) and she was 100% in agreeance with everything I was thinking and feeling. I even sent her a few screenshots of y'all's posts. she had been thinking the same thing the past few weeks.

honestly, I got super anxious before I called. not on some panic attack shit, more like, I've never called anyone to report anything before, let alone someone I work with. I want to be clear that I do not want the guy to lose his job and that was not my intention in calling.

I stated that I was a frequent visitor to the ____ location, and I had concerns about a server I have seen and dealt with multiple times. I told them that I believe he is suffering from some sort of infection that I've noticed getting worse over the past few weeks. I said that I have seen visible blood through the bandages, and I had seen him resting plates on top of them. at no point did I mention drugs, or say that I thought he was on drugs. I went so far as to say he was not rude and was pleasant to interact with, but I had some real concerns over health guidelines that may be violated because of it. I left my mom's phone number, but I stated I wasn't sure if a call back was necessary, although I am will to speak to someone if they wanted to reach back out.

when I arrived at work today, (about an hour after I made the call,) the office door was closed and my GM and other managers were talking (but it could have been closed for any reason really.) at the beginning of the shift, one of my managers gave him a long sleeve shirt that we sell as merch, and told him he needed to wear it underneath his normal uniform, which he did. I am guessing corporate called the store and was like, "wtf is going on with this?" it's too much of a coincidence that they gave him a shirt and too serious of an issue for them to not have addressed it immediately. them giving him a shirt to cover up with was the best thing they could have done for him at that time. he constantly talks about how he's undertipped and I'd have to imagine his arm is a huge distraction and takes away from the guest's dining experience.

Are you absolutely sure it’s a drug thing and not some other kind of chronic illness or disability?
Claiming the guy is in drugs with no real proof might bite you in the ass.

yes, I am absolutely sure it is drug related. I have bullshitted with him and he has brought up how he used to do this and that. he also has prior drug charges. he does not always appear to be high, coming down, whatever you want to call it. I have also been around the block enough times and have been around addicts to know what type of behavior is drug related. I think I've looked him in the eyes all of 5 times in the past two months.

I really want to stress that I did not mention drugs or elude to him being on drugs AT ALL in the message I left. I would never say that about someone without having definitive proof, like seeing him use drugs in front of me. hell, even if I did have definitive proof, there is no need to bring up drug use as that's not the real issue. that is a very serious accusation and that's not what the issue is. the real issue is the possible exposure to bloodborne illness or disease. I believe the fact that this is a legitimate health issue has prevented management by addressing it directly. that's a very fine line/ slippery slope of discussion that deals with HIPAA.

he has shown us old pictures of when he was doing cross fit and the dude used to be jacked. easily 70 - 80 pounds heavier than he is now. even tonight, he brought that up again and said he lost all the weight because he had to have surgery in his mouth and couldn't eat for months. maybe that's the case, but he is still rapidly losing weight, and the surgery he claimed to have was over a year ago. I see him eat at work.

I did not mention this in my original post, but he did miss a week of work because of his shoulder injury. he said that he went to the hospital for it, and that they didn't do anything about the shoulder. I have no idea if they addressed his arm or gave him antibiotics, but I don't see how it couldn't have been because it is painfully obvious he has a serious infection. google, "MRSA infection," and this is exactly what his arm looks like, except there is very clearly blood coming out of a hole shaped wound in his arm, which is a clear indication of MRSA - warning - kinda gross:

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

for those saying I should just talk to him about it and tell him to do this or that, give him rides to the doctor, basically hold his hand: my coworkers have asked him what's going on with his arm, and he plays dumb or has an excuse. he has a girlfriend and he is 35 years old. it is not any of our responsibility to be like, "hey man, your arm is totally fucking infected. would you mind going and getting that checked out so you don't put us all at risk?" that responsibility is on management. he is an addict. if an addict doesn't want to get help, not just to get clean, but to address anything about their health, there is nothing you can do. I really think asking him that could be some sort of weird health privacy violation or something, even though it is painfully obvious.

Expand Quote
[close]

Just talk to the guy. Be respectful and friendly but you’re going to have to address it yourself if no one is listening. See if he needs help and offer to help.
At least you can say you tried…
when he first hurt his shoulder (after the infection was already present) I did offer to help. while he was out for that week, I texted him and checked in on him multiple times, and let him know that whatever was going on, I would do my best to help him get better if he needed the help. I basically eluded to the fact that I knew what was up. I even let him pick up two of my weekend shifts, my shifts where I make 40% of my money for the week, when he felt he was able to come back to work. I help him at work constantly because of the condition he is in. he can't lift his arm to carry anything heavier than a plate. the help is and has always been there if he wants it.

the thing that kills me about the whole situation is his attitude towards the job. he's a decent guy, but he has that dark addiction cloud hanging over his head. that shit affects your mood... it affects every part of your life. as soon as he gets to work tonight the first thing he says to me is, "dude, I can't wait to get the fuck out of here." - I'm like, "man, you just got here!"

"I know. that's the point."

like, dude... do you not understand how grateful you should be that you still have this job and this opportunity???

yes, it would be an absolute shame if the place got shut down over something like this because it's an awesome restaurant and there have been some really cool people that come through. I met UFC Hall of Famer Forrest Griffin there. Chris D'elia came in one night. a Super Bowl winning football player was in this year. we are part of some amazing events and block parties that happen downtown, and the food is honestly amazing. aside from all that, it supports many people, including myself. I don't know if they will talk to him further, or if they're just going to make him wear that shirt all the time. I'm not sure if they can do much other than have him cover it properly.

I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond, and thanks for calming some of the stress/ guilt I was feeling over want to report it.

on a lighter note: a kid maybe 12 or 13 years old was talking to me about skateboarding tonight and he asked me who my favorite skater was. I said Cyrus Bennett without hesitation, so I guess I realized my favorite skater right now is Cyrus.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 08:28:21 PM by fineslime »

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 218
  • sup dog
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2024, 08:34:42 PM »
Awesome dude, sounds like you did the right thing and it went well.

And excellent choice: a very fine skater.
Another brand new account coming in on some absolute fuck shit

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1194
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2024, 08:51:35 PM »
Kinda interesting watching (reading) someone trying to sort through the different ethical dilemmas in the relatable little quagmire in which they find themselves.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

sharkjumper

• Rep: 40
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2024, 10:20:11 PM »
Glad you got it handled.

Chris D'elia came in one night

I’d more likely punch that dude than be hyped.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/story/2021-03-02/chris-delia-sued-by-woman-who-says-he-had-sex-with-her-when-she-was-17

addie pray

• Rep: -527
  • u a whole goofy
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2024, 06:54:30 AM »
i got MRSA once from the hospital. vile shit