Author Topic: 2024 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 56952 times)

Plan9Customs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 570
Re: 2024 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #840 on: May 24, 2024, 10:05:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i don't enjoy seeing dirt-ride clips, like bombing a dirt-hill after a trick, or it being the main trick. i just do not like seeing it. i don't know why. it just creates a sweaty dirty dusty itchy feeling. this does not apply if just the rollaway of some stair or rail trick or whatever is through/into grass, pebbles, sand or whatever.
[close]

Yeah I can't help but think of the total disregard for their bearings. Just destroying them for no good reason.
[close]
Riding on dirt is fun, that’s a good reason.
[close]

I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it

A taste of freedom.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 344
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #841 on: May 25, 2024, 01:10:49 AM »
I don't like it when the roll away from a trick is too short. It always feels like the trick is incomplete. There were a few in Gabbers part. Nothing wrong with Gabbers though. It's all me. It's like a weak orgasm.

devils acrobat

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 149
« Reply #842 on: May 25, 2024, 02:22:29 AM »
I don't like it when the roll away from a trick is too short. It always feels like the trick is incomplete. There were a few in Gabbers part. Nothing wrong with Gabbers though. It's all me. It's like a weak orgasm.

You are not alone. Weak orgasm analogy is on point

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #843 on: May 25, 2024, 06:18:14 AM »
Vans are sick, and timeless, and visually less offensive compared to most the other corporate brands... kind of hilarious though how few Vans pros/ams wear any Vans clothing apart from maybe the free socks. Like not even the pros with their own clothing lines actually rock the clothing.
They occasionally have some cool clothes. I’ve got a few things from them I really like

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 163
« Reply #844 on: May 25, 2024, 09:01:53 AM »

I felt like an asshole thinking that about his ender. He was upright for half a second before he kicked his board and slid on his ass
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Rep: 136
« Reply #845 on: May 25, 2024, 09:07:12 AM »
I’d like to see Zion Wright put out a video part.

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 110
« Reply #846 on: May 25, 2024, 09:32:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I felt like an asshole thinking that about his ender. He was upright for half a second before he kicked his board and slid on his ass

The short landing makes it more impressive. You want to him smash through the glass like hulk? I guess that would be better actually

Buttworm

• Rep: 48
« Reply #847 on: May 27, 2024, 03:57:41 AM »
Just saw a durao sw fs flip one foot on ig and it looks like shit

Ninj2

• Rep: -101
« Reply #848 on: May 27, 2024, 01:32:20 PM »
Unless you mc hammer you shouldn’t be wearing them pants and I aint never making fun of mc hammer pants cuz he about that life and will kill me I ain’t scared of Gilbert crickets pants and they look stoopid too and if you have them big ass cuffs as a grown up why? Do you think you gonna grow more?

Magnolia

• Rep: 476
  • She/They
« Reply #849 on: May 27, 2024, 01:40:37 PM »
Unpopular but true opinion tbh
what quality posts do you have under your umbrella son of a bitch

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1610
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #850 on: May 27, 2024, 03:46:22 PM »
Could it be that perfection is not what most skaters are after?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1041
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #851 on: May 27, 2024, 05:16:00 PM »

He did a 'late' one foot (can't recall if it was a flip) at the recent Apex...zzzzz

Just as trash looking at those half flips or whatever...it's as if he made a list of the most unique shit tricks and focused on those..

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
« Reply #852 on: May 28, 2024, 07:47:19 AM »
I am overall a big durao fan but yea those late one foots can go away

Oroborus

• Rep: 8
« Reply #853 on: May 28, 2024, 11:05:26 AM »
Basing your life on one mediocre idea or activity is for losers.  Especially rock climbing, bongos, weed, weaving etc hippie garbage.

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -410
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #854 on: May 30, 2024, 10:13:32 AM »
Could it be that perfection is not what most skaters are after?

No bro style is when you skate exactly like Mike Carroll. The more you look like Mike Carroll the more stylish you are. Skateboarding looks best when you land every trick bolts and don’t look like you’re trying at all. Chaz Ortiz rules

work_lurker

• Rep: 107
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
« Reply #855 on: June 04, 2024, 04:38:14 PM »
Oh yeah, you won't catch me in much of the clothes lol. I know what you mean, but the bit about not requiring any thought resonated because that is a legit motivation of mine.

The Vans J-Lay line went hard back in high school, I can't find much of it online now, but I think I'd still rock one of the flannels.
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #856 on: June 05, 2024, 11:27:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Oh yeah, you won't catch me in much of the clothes lol. I know what you mean, but the bit about not requiring any thought resonated because that is a legit motivation of mine.
[close]

The Vans J-Lay line went hard back in high school, I can't find much of it online now, but I think I'd still rock one of the flannels.

I was totally wearing the J-Lay hooded flannel with some chukka lows in 2008. His Van's signature stuff was going hard at that time.

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1960
« Reply #857 on: June 05, 2024, 01:34:19 PM »
You know, a couple days after making that post I was organizing my closet and realized I have a pair of those Nick Michel Vans jeans that I really like lol.

Ninj2

• Rep: -101
« Reply #858 on: June 05, 2024, 04:47:18 PM »
Pepsi

txvizier

• Rep: -21
« Reply #859 on: June 05, 2024, 09:14:27 PM »
True skateboarders end up homeless living in a car.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 780
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #860 on: June 05, 2024, 09:24:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I was totally wearing the J-Lay hooded flannel with some chukka lows in 2008. His Van's signature stuff was going hard at that time.

Big fan of the AVE line from around that time.

J Lay got done dirty as fuck.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Roy Machine

• Rep: -4
« Reply #861 on: June 06, 2024, 12:19:24 PM »
Aging in the hip hop subculture is the worst. Nobody wants to see a fourty year old with new era cap and baggy pants

work_lurker

• Rep: 107
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
« Reply #862 on: June 06, 2024, 01:07:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah, getting dropped and not being able to be in the Vans video seemed super harsh at the time. Then he put out the footage he was going to use for it solo, if I remember correctly, but it would have been much more memorable had it just been thrown in the video.
They were really backing him hard for a minute. Was it the dick pick that ruined it all? I remember rumors that he got kicked off for not skating as much, but then he dropped that aforementioned part so I don't really know the full story.
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1395
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #863 on: June 06, 2024, 01:12:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah, getting dropped and not being able to be in the Vans video seemed super harsh at the time. Then he put out the footage he was going to use for it solo, if I remember correctly, but it would have been much more memorable had it just been thrown in the video.
They were really backing him hard for a minute. Was it the dick pick that ruined it all? I remember rumors that he got kicked off for not skating as much, but then he dropped that aforementioned part so I don't really know the full story.
I don't ever feel like I got the story straight either but there was a detail about how he was selling weed at the time and making more money than skating so he stayed doing that. Then Toy dropped him for not skating?
unreadable trap logo

Buttworm

• Rep: 48
« Reply #864 on: June 06, 2024, 01:50:04 PM »
One dick pic to rule them all

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 780
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #865 on: June 06, 2024, 02:32:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
I don't ever feel like I got the story straight either but there was a detail about how he was selling weed at the time and making more money than skating so he stayed doing that. Then Toy dropped him for not skating?

That was the rumor at the time. His part was pretty enjoyable and had actual variety despite having filming randomly cut short. He skated some cool spots and what not. I would have really liked to see more of him.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

CarcassToss

• Rep: 72
« Reply #866 on: June 06, 2024, 08:15:26 PM »
When people tell me "I used to be a skater, but..." I think they're full of shit and never were unless they're handicapped or live where there are only dirt roads. I can't imagine a scenario where I would willingly not ride a skateboard.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1610
« Reply #867 on: June 06, 2024, 08:36:37 PM »
Yah man……‘You didn't quit skateboarding because you got old, you got old because you quit skateboarding’ …

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 570
« Reply #868 on: June 06, 2024, 09:33:26 PM »
When people tell me "I used to be a skater, but..." I think they're full of shit and never were unless they're handicapped or live where there are only dirt roads. I can't imagine a scenario where I would willingly not ride a skateboard.

I’ll give you my hiatus story. Got married, bought a house, had a kid, finished my apprenticeship went skating the gap across from twin towers(Sacto) clipped the sidewalk kick flipping it. Blew my wrist up and got fired from my job since you need to functional hands as a bodyman. I decided that I needed to adult since I had others that depended on me. Skated for almost 20 years. Still followed skating & got stoked when I’d see spots. 10 years later I had a little side business that if worse came to worse and couldn’t do bodywork anymore, I could scratch enough from my parts business. Said fuck it I’m skating again.

You’re right though, I guess I never was a skater to begin with.
There’s other variables in others life’s man. Somethings have priority over your interests and needs.

EDIT
Just realized this was in the unpopular opinions thread. Carry on.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 312
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #869 on: June 06, 2024, 10:13:02 PM »
I think more unpopular opinion would be that people that care so much about being a so called real skater are lame as fuck. I respect the shit out of people who actually take time off to start family or build a home. I also believe that skateboarding itself becomes much more enjoyable when it's your escape from real world and not your whole identity.