Author Topic: 2024 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 39764 times)

Dad Board

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 75
Re: 2024 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #510 on: April 01, 2024, 10:49:31 AM »
Expand Quote
From my experience, it was about a 70/30 split of broken home/low income to dual parent/mid-higher income. This was 80s-90s after that can’t say since I was married with a kid. I was in the broken home/low income part.

Definitely not a sport.
It’s playing with a toy. No matter what corpos say/want you to believe.
[close]

Skateboarding didn’t become a rich kid activity until Tony Hawk landed the 900 and the video game came out… when skateboarding died in the late 80s and all the way until the late late 90s it was shunned to be a skateboarder. Regular people stereotyped skateboarders as low lives and delinquents…

I started in 96 so I definitely caught the tail end of that mentality. In fact it lasted through the early 2000’s despite the video game and espn exposure. Now you got cops who used to skate. I was skating in a parking garage the other day and this businessman who worked in the complex came down by me and asked me if I wanted him to move his car so I could have more room to skate. Shit like that still trips me out.

Heshrat

• Rep: -11
« Reply #511 on: April 01, 2024, 11:06:26 AM »

What about bringing a massage gun to the sesh?
[/quote]
I’d diss my friends and say something immature like “damnnn we bringing vibrators to the sesh now?”
I did your mom

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #512 on: April 02, 2024, 02:58:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Watching that Mariano Memory Screen: mid period Guy (Mouse, etc.) is my least favorite.

Maybe it’s because I didn’t watch those videos when they came out but I feel like that’s everyone else’s favorite era.
[close]
That’s a really an unpopular opinion. I didn’t even like Mouse that much- I thought those guys were all pretty insufferable, except some of the lower tier guys like Keenan and Chico. And the skits were annoying. But even I thought Guy’s part was undeniable. I can’t thank of too many people who ever switch backside nose grind 180’d a handrail.

But I could maybe understand not being into it if you missed the era. That era was kinda whatever.
[close]

Yeah.. you two are younger than 35…
I wish. I was like 20 when Mouse came out

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #513 on: April 02, 2024, 04:38:29 PM »
Seeing too many fs noseslide nollie flips and sw fs noseslide fakie flips these days.  I swear you won't see a new video that doesn't have at least one in it

Troubadour26

• Rep: 77
« Reply #514 on: April 02, 2024, 06:05:57 PM »
Seeing too many fs noseslide nollie flips and sw fs noseslide fakie flips these days.  I swear you won't see a new video that doesn't have at least one in it

I’ve seen other people make this complaint before and it makes zero sense.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 967
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #515 on: April 02, 2024, 06:22:13 PM »
Skateboarding is awesome these days and the 90s were not the greatest

I could agree more. The 90s was about being in love with something people didn't understand. Now people understand us we get way better products. Kids in Africa are doing inverts in diy parks on the world's second hand product.

This age has made me under the art value of what we do and how necessary it it for mass cultural change towards a more beautiful future.

Think about the cold war era skaters who went behind the curtain. Today people rip in china. It's the fruition of an offering peace in times when the oppositions systems demanded war and stoked fear in it's hostages/citizens.

It just going to continue to fester and brew until KIM get focused by a pack of North Korean Olympic Skate Rats who finally got to taste Venture at the last Olympian meet up when future Coach PJ Ladd kicked over his bloard and set the world a blaze.
6 months later reunification!

The cia should be sucking our toes and building us better ledge tech. Who else is talking about Mrs and General Grant's tomb in a positive in 2024

Pucker up Sam
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 967
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #516 on: April 02, 2024, 06:28:28 PM »
Also YouTube is fuckin exploding. Thrasher edits. Everything is sick everyone is invited
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2209
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #517 on: April 02, 2024, 09:23:49 PM »
…Everything is sick, everyone is invited.
This is the kind of optimism I need right now.
Bless me, Fleasus.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 786
« Reply #518 on: April 02, 2024, 09:33:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Skateboarding is awesome these days and the 90s were not the greatest
[close]

I could agree more. The 90s was about being in love with something people didn't understand. Now people understand us we get way better products. Kids in Africa are doing inverts in diy parks on the world's second hand product.

This age has made me under the art value of what we do and how necessary it it for mass cultural change towards a more beautiful future.

Think about the cold war era skaters who went behind the curtain. Today people rip in china. It's the fruition of an offering peace in times when the oppositions systems demanded war and stoked fear in it's hostages/citizens.

It just going to continue to fester and brew until KIM get focused by a pack of North Korean Olympic Skate Rats who finally got to taste Venture at the last Olympian meet up when future Coach PJ Ladd kicked over his bloard and set the world a blaze.
6 months later reunification!

The cia should be sucking our toes and building us better ledge tech. Who else is talking about Mrs and General Grant's tomb in a positive in 2024

Pucker up Sam

Prob a contender for Post of the Year. Please carry on @Uncle Flea

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #519 on: April 03, 2024, 11:48:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Watching that Mariano Memory Screen: mid period Guy (Mouse, etc.) is my least favorite.

Maybe it’s because I didn’t watch those videos when they came out but I feel like that’s everyone else’s favorite era.
[close]
That’s a really an unpopular opinion. I didn’t even like Mouse that much- I thought those guys were all pretty insufferable, except some of the lower tier guys like Keenan and Chico. And the skits were annoying. But even I thought Guy’s part was undeniable. I can’t thank of too many people who ever switch backside nose grind 180’d a handrail.

But I could maybe understand not being into it if you missed the era. That era was kinda whatever.
[close]

[close]

I’m old as dirt and don’t pretend otherwise. I just wasn’t into that Girl/Chocolate scene at the time and looking back I have a soft spot for the Powell/Blind stuff and overall would rather watch his post comeback footage.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #520 on: April 04, 2024, 04:35:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

I’m old as dirt and don’t pretend otherwise. I just wasn’t into that Girl/Chocolate scene at the time and looking back I have a soft spot for the Powell/Blind stuff and overall would rather watch his post comeback footage.
Fair. I really didn’t love Girl/Chocolate at the time. Seemed like every video was an hour of crooked grinds. Foundation was my favorite in that era. They were always a little weird

35mm

• Rep: 27
« Reply #521 on: April 05, 2024, 05:26:12 AM »
Baggy jorts that reach below the knee. Atrocious. Not too sure this is that unpopular and probably they are not that trendy anymore.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #522 on: April 05, 2024, 05:41:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Fair. I really didn’t love Girl/Chocolate at the time. Seemed like every video was an hour of crooked grinds. Foundation was my favorite in that era. They were always a little weird

This image is making me laugh more than it should  8)

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #523 on: April 05, 2024, 07:05:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

This image is making me laugh more than it should  8)
😀

Ninj2

• Rep: -70
« Reply #524 on: April 08, 2024, 05:43:26 PM »
Mario Rubalcaba in this not the new H street video the most underrated opening part of a video ever and that video don’t get the shiny it deserve in general just like Willy Santos in feaster.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #525 on: April 09, 2024, 06:49:59 AM »
Steve Rocco’s return won’t matter

Shuh

• Rep: 3
« Reply #526 on: April 09, 2024, 07:36:41 AM »

Basically its just a different era hes not gonna shake up anything,

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
« Reply #527 on: April 09, 2024, 09:00:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It's gonna be like a 55 year old comedian coming out with the same tired schtick they did in the early 90s' then getting pissed off that nobody thinks it's funny anymore.
90% chance this ends with Rocco complaining that people are "too PC these days" and "nobody can take a joke anymore".

Haze

« Reply #528 on: April 09, 2024, 09:04:43 AM »
Nah, all whack takes. Rocco gonna fuck you up and focus your board. It’s gonna be good for you too 💯

Ignatius J Reilly

• Rep: 268
  • often correct
« Reply #529 on: April 09, 2024, 09:15:37 AM »
feel like this is fairly accepted at this point but jesus, that second letter everyone at sidewalk distribution posted the other day trying to keep the conversation going was pathetic

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1393
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #530 on: April 09, 2024, 09:21:39 AM »
Pushing around town, even if there are “no spots,” is the best form of skateboarding
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Dad Board

• Rep: 75
« Reply #531 on: April 09, 2024, 09:38:11 AM »

I’m fairly certain we’ve already seen the return. Those two sidewalk IG posts were it :/

think about how ephemeral skate media is compared to then. Back in the day you could bring a copy of big brother to school and some Rocco ad with edgy humor could be circulated for months all the while building hype and stirring up controversy. Nobody is doing that with a hard copy of thrasher in 2024. Full length skate videos hardly even exist and when they do come out it’s straight to YouTube to be viewed for a few days/a week before fading into the ether.

There’s just no platform to command even if he did have some plan to do a bunch of clever attack ads, which is being generous considering the man is most likely beyond out of touch with modern skating and its audience. The length of his reach will be the sidewalk dist IG account and that ain’t shaking shit up anymore than getting a bunch of anti woke boomers wet in the pants.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #532 on: April 09, 2024, 10:19:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It's gonna be like a 55 year old comedian coming out with the same tired schtick they did in the early 90s' then getting pissed off that nobody thinks it's funny anymore.
90% chance this ends with Rocco complaining that people are "too PC these days" and "nobody can take a joke anymore".
Exactly this

I-am-12

• Rep: -6
« Reply #533 on: April 11, 2024, 07:24:12 AM »
Ollie Norths should be an illegal trick.

It feels like they've only blown up this year to "show off" how good you are. Like "hey look at me I'm so good I'm running out of tricks to learn so I've resorted to Ollie Norths" despite them looking ugly as shit.

I just HATE it when I see a dope line end with some stupid tiny ollie north.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -333
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #534 on: April 11, 2024, 08:57:03 AM »
Being other or kooky as a gimmick to have the door held open for you doesn't make you special or give you credibility.  Just another excuse for participation trophy.
Dueces Bitch's

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 96
« Reply #535 on: April 11, 2024, 08:58:04 AM »

It feels like they've only blown up this year to "show off" how good you are. Like "hey look at me I'm so good I'm running out of tricks to learn so I've resorted to Ollie Norths" despite them looking ugly as shit.

They are fun to do though.  Post a line that ends with this trick, I can’t remember seeing that

Being other or kooky as a gimmick to have the door held open for you doesn't make you special or give you credibility.  Just another excuse for participation trophy.

How about Josh Hawkins with the elevator door closing on him right after landing a trick

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -333
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #536 on: April 11, 2024, 09:01:54 AM »
Ollie Norths Ollie one foot should be an illegal trick.

Fixed for ya, yes I hate the name as it's not proper or will I recognize Oliver North as he was a scumbag.
Dueces Bitch's

Magnolia

• Rep: 442
  • She/They
« Reply #537 on: April 11, 2024, 12:12:57 PM »

The one Durao did at Tampa was fucking hideous, I really don't like his style
what quality posts do you have under your umbrella son of a bitch

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 84
« Reply #538 on: April 11, 2024, 12:27:06 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Fixed for ya, yes I hate the name as it's not proper or will I recognize Oliver North as he was a scumbag.

Imo ollie one foot is not proper. North specifies the front foot comes off. Saying ollie one foot means the front or back foot could come off.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #539 on: April 11, 2024, 04:28:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Imo ollie one foot is not proper. North specifies the front foot comes off. Saying ollie one foot means the front or back foot could come off.
That’s nonsense. Ollie one foot means kicking your front foot off. Anything else can be called something else. Just like kick flip means the most basic version. Since basically no one kicks off their back foot it doesn’t have a name but that’s fine, it’s stupid anyway.