Author Topic: 2024 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 40011 times)

lurkluke

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 176
Re: 2024 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #600 on: April 15, 2024, 06:30:26 PM »
https://www.euronews.com/green/2022/07/17/golf-is-a-giant-board-game-damaging-the-planet-time-for-it-to-go

Why golf sucks and why you should give a fuck. Also a place for scummy people to conduct their business unrecorded, ever wonder why all the presidents and ceos have meetings over golf?

I'm not sure skateboarders can say too much about golf courses... concrete is a lot worse.

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #601 on: April 15, 2024, 07:16:17 PM »
Expand Quote
https://www.euronews.com/green/2022/07/17/golf-is-a-giant-board-game-damaging-the-planet-time-for-it-to-go

Why golf sucks and why you should give a fuck. Also a place for scummy people to conduct their business unrecorded, ever wonder why all the presidents and ceos have meetings over golf?
[close]

I'm not sure skateboarders can say too much about golf courses... concrete is a lot worse.

Well you don’t waste thousands of gallons of water to water a skatepark. I’ve never heard of a neighborhood being uprooted to build a skatepark. I’ve never heard of a whites only skatepark. I’ve never heard of a men only skatepark. I’ve never heard of scummy people conducting business at a skatepark so the content of their discussions are not traced. They’re usually built in pre existing parks, if they have a membership it is usually pretty affordable to ensure all can use them.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1397
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #602 on: April 15, 2024, 07:21:11 PM »
Well, we know who works in business and plays golf, i reckon
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

lurkluke

• Rep: 176
« Reply #603 on: April 15, 2024, 07:21:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Well you don’t waste thousands of gallons of water to water a skatepark. I’ve never heard of a neighborhood being uprooted to build a skatepark. I’ve never heard of a whites only skatepark. I’ve never heard of a men only skatepark. I’ve never heard of scummy people conducting business at a skatepark so the content of their discussions are not traced. They’re usually built in pre existing parks, if they have a membership it is usually pretty affordable to ensure all can use them.

Oh I'm certainly not pro-golf courses and was maybe flippant saying concrete was a lot worse (with all things considered, as you've pointed out. But also:

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2019/feb/25/concrete-the-most-destructive-material-on-earth

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #604 on: April 15, 2024, 07:58:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Oh I'm certainly not pro-golf courses and was maybe flippant saying concrete was a lot worse (with all things considered, as you've pointed out. But also:

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2019/feb/25/concrete-the-most-destructive-material-on-earth

Interesting read. I’m aware of the destruction that concrete has placed on our world. It has existed before skateboarding was even a thought and we are just adapting to our environment by using it to skate. It’s like that old cr stecyk quote about redefining your environment and its usage. Unfortunately, as the article points out, there is no alternative building material which can provide what concrete does. I felt like your response was a way of saying that we can’t have an opinion on golf because what about this pre existing, unrelated other thing that we choose to redefine everyday. But I’m not mad, I’m in total agreement. It reminded me of what me and a friend were talking about (while very very stoned): abolish streets. At least in residential areas, short of main thoroughfares and regulate where concrete can and can’t be used. I know that will never happen but it’s a romantic idea that conjures up thoughts of greenery, flowers, trees, etc where streets once were laid. Alas it’s just that, a romantic idea too radical to ever be implemented.

Btw I don’t skate skateparks 99% of the time so mostly all my skating takes place on concrete not meant for the purpose of skating.

Dad Board

• Rep: 76
« Reply #605 on: April 16, 2024, 12:56:26 AM »
Colored hardware other than gold or silver and logos on/cut into griptape make boards look cheap and as though they belong to a child.

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -298
« Reply #606 on: April 16, 2024, 05:49:49 AM »
Colored hardware other than gold or silver and logos on/cut into griptape make boards look cheap and as though they belong to a child.
Bronze is the only appropriate color for hardware, other than black obviously

Dad Board

« Reply #607 on: April 16, 2024, 11:32:02 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Bronze is acceptable. It’s mainly the top of the bolts that that erks me when they’re teal or lime green or something. Typically alongside a grizzly cutout or shake junt

kook1234

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
« Reply #608 on: April 16, 2024, 11:45:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Bronze is acceptable. It’s mainly the top of the bolts that that erks me when they’re teal or lime green or something. Typically alongside a grizzly cutout or shake junt

oh yea so unpopular I cant believe youve held this controversial opinion for so long.  very brave.  look at how quick you folded on accepting bronze too

Dad Board

« Reply #609 on: April 16, 2024, 11:54:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

oh yea so unpopular I cant believe youve held this controversial opinion for so long.  very brave.  look at how quick you folded on accepting bronze too

Apologize immediately

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #610 on: April 16, 2024, 12:12:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Last Resort sucks and makes Pontus's whole empire look cheap and tacky
[close]

I still like Polar but yeah LRAB look sub-Payless to me. We already have more basic vulcs than we know what to do with since the late 2000’s.

Yes we have tons of basic vulcs, but not many basic vulcs done right. Lrab takes the basic silhouette and just increases the quality a couple notches. Best suede in the game rn. Solid stitching. Sole lasts a good amount of time. Hold an lrab and hold some emerica vulc. Then try to talk like they are the same thing.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 718
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #611 on: April 16, 2024, 12:49:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Golf: hanging out and drinking with your buds while playing a leisurely game in a beautiful environment that mostly pits you against yourself. Sounds awesome to me.
[close]

I’ve been pondering trying this golf out. I’ve talked mad shit about it forevs but I drive by a golf course on my way to work and they look happy af out there
It’s hella fun and so akin to skateboarding. You can be in it to progress or you can be in it just to hang.

As for the negatives, yes water usage is an issue, and private courses are the epitome of privilege and corporatism, but public courses are cheap and often have programs for disadvantaged youth. The only thing you really have to be wary of is your own attitude. Nothing worse than a guy in your party losing his mind after his fifth triple bogey. If he’s out of your party then it’s actually pretty fun to laugh at people that take it that seriously. Just don’t do it in their face.

Another thing. The course may frown on it, but it’s totally normal to smoke a joint and sip a drink of your choice. There’s so much space you’ll probably never get caught.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

Cranberry Relish

• Rep: 25
« Reply #612 on: April 16, 2024, 02:34:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

I still like Polar but yeah LRAB look sub-Payless to me. We already have more basic vulcs than we know what to do with since the late 2000’s.
[close]

Yes we have tons of basic vulcs, but not many basic vulcs done right. Lrab takes the basic silhouette and just increases the quality a couple notches. Best suede in the game rn. Solid stitching. Sole lasts a good amount of time. Hold an lrab and hold some emerica vulc. Then try to talk like they are the same thing.

Sorry, I like the look of most LRAB's, but they are just not that good.  I have given them multiple chances, but each time I am left unsatisfied. The materials used are fine, but nothing to write home about.  In my opinion, they break down too fast for the cost.

kookdusoleil

• Rep: 46
  • Have fun out there
« Reply #613 on: April 16, 2024, 02:41:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Golf: hanging out and drinking with your buds while playing a leisurely game in a beautiful environment that mostly pits you against yourself. Sounds awesome to me.
[close]

I’ve been pondering trying this golf out. I’ve talked mad shit about it forevs but I drive by a golf course on my way to work and they look happy af out there
[close]
It’s hella fun and so akin to skateboarding. You can be in it to progress or you can be in it just to hang.

As for the negatives, yes water usage is an issue, and private courses are the epitome of privilege and corporatism, but public courses are cheap and often have programs for disadvantaged youth. The only thing you really have to be wary of is your own attitude. Nothing worse than a guy in your party losing his mind after his fifth triple bogey. If he’s out of your party then it’s actually pretty fun to laugh at people that take it that seriously. Just don’t do it in their face.

Another thing. The course may frown on it, but it’s totally normal to smoke a joint and sip a drink of your choice. There’s so much space you’ll probably never get caught.

You hit all the good points. Especially the part about dudes losing their minds. My dad used to drag me to his golf games and I would watch his friends laugh at him while he threw his clubs after a series of bad shots. He did this a lot. Turned me off to the game, along with the aforementioned elitism. Maybe I’ll revisit golf one day.

herecomesaregular

• Rep: 10
« Reply #614 on: April 16, 2024, 03:23:01 PM »
Is this an unpopular opinion? It is with some skate-acquaintances lately, but idk overall. It’s definitely a popular debate topic. Either way:

It’s pointless and pretty annoying to argue with the “agreed upon” names for tricks because you think they could be named more logically (e.g. “why is fakie frontside different looking than nollie frontsdie?!”). Tricks are named what they are because that’s what they’re named, not because it’s the most logical name. Sometimes they are but the logic is different from yours. It’s fine. Just call it the name and move on.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #615 on: April 16, 2024, 09:28:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Sorry, I like the look of most LRAB's, but they are just not that good.  I have given them multiple chances, but each time I am left unsatisfied. The materials used are fine, but nothing to write home about.  In my opinion, they break down too fast for the cost.

Yeah I had three pairs. Unless something has improved in the last year, I found the quality far from exceptional. They look nice but feel cheap.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 966
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #616 on: April 17, 2024, 08:33:49 AM »
Hole>Nirvana
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Magnolia

• Rep: 448
  • She/They
« Reply #617 on: April 17, 2024, 08:36:35 AM »
Hole>Nirvana

This is a fact, not an opinion
what quality posts do you have under your umbrella son of a bitch

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 966
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #618 on: April 17, 2024, 08:43:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Hole>Nirvana
[close]

This is a fact, not an opinion

Cobain kinda a poser. Cortney is my long lost sister obviously
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1324
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #619 on: April 17, 2024, 10:32:19 AM »
You two are killing me
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
« Reply #620 on: April 17, 2024, 10:47:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Golf's fun. I tried it as a kid but couldn't hang, but a few years back I picked it back up to have something to do with my dad. Plus I'm currently dealing with a long injury and it's just another thing to do outside while I can't skate. I have no interest in mingling with the "culture" and have only played cheap public courses by my house, so that's neat.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #621 on: April 17, 2024, 10:51:57 AM »
DIY is the best of both worlds because you are re-purposing what is basically squandered, lost space that everyone else is just going to abandon and let rot. but you have to use a lot of concrete and epoxy and stuff which is pretty bad for the environment. all in all id still say its a lot less of a footprint than a golf course by a long shot.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 718
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #622 on: April 17, 2024, 11:29:46 AM »
I still like them better but Nirvana did steal two of their most popular riffs.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -60
« Reply #623 on: April 17, 2024, 12:31:58 PM »
Hole>Nirvana

Daaaamn you coming off the top rope with a metal folding chair with this take!

I like a lot of Hole songs, especially Violets, but better than Nirvana?
Yikes, I can't get on board with that.

Ninj2

• Rep: -71
« Reply #624 on: April 17, 2024, 12:56:22 PM »
Some you heavens need Jesus more then Lenny.  Cortney killed Kurt or paid that baby sitter artist guy to do it. That’s the same tho. That’s not cool. They did that shit to Janis Joplin too. She had big old life insurance out. Music industry sketchy as fuck. Rick Rubin so fried and pampered he think don’t need shoes.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 588
« Reply #625 on: April 17, 2024, 04:28:18 PM »
Hole>Nirvana

Watch out! I disparaged nirvana in the 2023 unpopular opinion thread, and I’m still not allowed over at pizzafliptofakie or manysnakes houses :(
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1324
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #626 on: April 17, 2024, 06:36:23 PM »
Kurdt was a real one. About 2 days after Nevermind came out, they played New Haven. My two friends were super fans and went to the club early to see if they could run into them. When me and P got to the club about an hour before the show, O and B were in the back of the van with Kurdt and Krist and everybody was tripping. O had brought some acid to give to the band and they dropped it pretty much right away so when we showed up they were all geeking. O asked to put us on the guest too and they said no problem. When we got to the door and said we were on the list, Fernando, the club owner, sighed and waved us through. They were 30 plus people on the guest list in a small city across the country from where Nirvana lived and they hadn't really broken yet. Teen Spirit was on MTV and the club sold to over capacity so Fernando got his. He had put out a fruit plate for craft services and somebody from the band threw it in the put right before the show so the floor was beyond slippery. P broke his collarbone and I got a ride home from my homegirl M. The show was taped and is a relatively famous bootleg and a banger. You can hear O yelling Donkey Show, which was an early Nirvana meme that was a malapropism of Danke Schoen.

them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #627 on: April 17, 2024, 11:29:03 PM »
Brands should stop sending their shit to Thrasher and upload it on their own channels.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

DeadSquidMask

• Rep: 8
« Reply #628 on: April 18, 2024, 03:00:22 AM »
Board manufacturers and shoe companies

They are the ones making $$ in this industry. Therefore, they should pay the lion’s share of the skaters’ salaries and comprehensive health care plans.

Today’s board-brands seem like independent marketing-contractors for board manufacturers. The profit margins seem too low to support any meaningful salaries or health care.

It’s time to shift the paradigm. Let the board brands off the hook financially and ethically. Follow the money. Time for the profitable institutions to pay these people properly.

Gaff

• Rep: 6
« Reply #629 on: April 18, 2024, 03:27:24 AM »
Brands should stop sending their shit to Thrasher and upload it on their own channels.

100% stand by this

Plus: brands should start branding again, the flatness of it all is starting to be a bit boring.

Also hi everyone, after years of lurking this is my first post on slap, cheers from italy