Author Topic: 2024 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 40186 times)

NOLLIE_CABALLERIAL and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Shtonk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -346
Re: 2024 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #630 on: April 18, 2024, 05:00:07 AM »
- GH is unintentionally the most progressive public voice in skateboarding

- Louie could try a little harder

- Kalis been lyin in the DC thread

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1957
« Reply #631 on: April 18, 2024, 05:50:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Hole>Nirvana
[close]

Watch out! I disparaged nirvana in the 2023 unpopular opinion thread, and I’m still not allowed over at pizzafliptofakie or manysnakes houses :(

bring some flipper records and we'll talk

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -300
« Reply #632 on: April 18, 2024, 06:41:11 AM »
No shade to Kalis, but it's gotta be pretty easy to say everything is fine at DC when they sent you a ginormous gold DC ring to display in your private, indoor, all granite plaza.

Magnolia

• Rep: 448
  • She/They
« Reply #633 on: April 18, 2024, 06:44:50 AM »

How?
what quality posts do you have under your umbrella son of a bitch

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1297
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #634 on: April 18, 2024, 11:33:09 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

How?
I wouldn't say he's the most progressive voice but I will say he platformed LGBTQ+ skaters casually in his park reviews starting early on in his career. People like Donovan Wildfong, Nelly, Chandler Burton, Marie De Courcey popped up on his channell before they were picked up on There, Glue, and Limo. Those people certainly did not need his help but I see more regular interaction between him and queer folk than most industry heads commenting emojis in "support" online.

Might not seem like a big deal but when I'm still hearing "pause" jokes after saying something perceived as gay coming from Gary Rogers interviews, I'll take the good aspects of GH's influences any day.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 11:41:21 AM by camel filters »

Shtonk

« Reply #635 on: April 18, 2024, 11:53:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

How?
[close]
I wouldn't say he's the most progressive voice but I will say he platformed LGBTQ+ skaters casually in his park reviews starting early on in his career. People like Donovan Wildfong, Nelly, Chandler Burton, Marie De Courcey popped up on his channell before they were picked up on There, Glue, and Limo. Those people certainly did not need his help but I see more regular interaction between him and queer folk than most industry heads commenting emojis in "support" online.

Might not seem like a big deal but when I'm still hearing "pause" jokes after saying something perceived as gay coming from Gary Rogers interviews, I'll take the good aspects of GH's influences any day.

He's also the first big voice to really call out ultra capitalist shitheads like Mikey Taylor and Rob D. He doesn't resort to cheap identity politics tropes when it comes to questions of gender and competition but tries to formulate a well constructed argument (contrary to popular believe that is a lot more progressive than parroting and virtue signalling, even if it lands on an opinion you might not agree with). He refuses to discriminate positively even if it Lands him in hot water with all the white knights. He's repeatedly called out companies for not doing right by their riders.

Magnolia

• She/They
« Reply #636 on: April 18, 2024, 12:01:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

How?
[close]

[close]

He's also the first big voice to really call out ultra capitalist shitheads like Mikey Taylor and Rob D. He doesn't resort to cheap identity politics tropes when it comes to questions of gender and competition but tries to formulate a well constructed argument (contrary to popular believe that is a lot more progressive than parroting and virtue signalling, even if it lands on an opinion you might not agree with). He refuses to discriminate positively even if it Lands him in hot water with all the white knights. He's repeatedly called out companies for not doing right by their riders.

Genuine question: what does the second sentence mean? I'm not sure I understand it

WOWen Ill son

• Rep: 0
« Reply #637 on: April 18, 2024, 01:24:02 PM »
Great teams, but both Sci-Fi and Limo are overrated brands.

In the same vein, I love Jerry, but he is way better at being funny than at being serious artist/creative director.
His “people I've known” was one of the funniest shit ever on thrasher.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #638 on: April 18, 2024, 01:32:52 PM »
Hole is Bikini Kill for mall punks

Shtonk

« Reply #639 on: April 18, 2024, 02:28:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

How?
[close]

[close]

[close]

Genuine question: what does the second sentence mean? I'm not sure I understand it

Long sentence so not sure which part. But he's adressed in a couple videos that both the topics of trans women in female sports and the general fact of male vs female skill levels aren't simple black or white issues as many people make them out to be (sexist or inclusionist). He's by no means perfect, but he doesn't shy away from very controversial topics and bringing a level head to them. He's talked about how radically admitting trans women (that transitioned after a male puberty) into competition flies in the face of a lot of women athlete's work to create female sports spaces in the first place (and acknowledged he doesn't have a solution). Or how SLS judging women and men on one scoring scale isn't really fair to women. I dont agree with him on all his opinions but I admire the effort. He goes into these topics at length and with some really thought out arguments, believably trying to be objective. So please don't attack my example sentences here, watch his videos.

Magnolia

• She/They
« Reply #640 on: April 18, 2024, 03:38:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

How?
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Long sentence so not sure which part. But he's adressed in a couple videos that both the topics of trans women in female sports and the general fact of male vs female skill levels aren't simple black or white issues as many people make them out to be (sexist or inclusionist). He's by no means perfect, but he doesn't shy away from very controversial topics and bringing a level head to them. He's talked about how radically admitting trans women (that transitioned after a male puberty) into competition flies in the face of a lot of women athlete's work to create female sports spaces in the first place (and acknowledged he doesn't have a solution). Or how SLS judging women and men on one scoring scale isn't really fair to women. I dont agree with him on all his opinions but I admire the effort. He goes into these topics at length and with some really thought out arguments, believably trying to be objective. So please don't attack my example sentences here, watch his videos.

There's like 0 data to support this which is why you only see hacks like Taylor Silverman making an issue of it. That's not a controversial but objective fact it's just straight up erroneous
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 03:46:52 PM by Magnolia »

Shtonk

« Reply #641 on: April 19, 2024, 12:59:25 AM »
I knew it was gonna go there... next time don't say "genuine question" when you're only trying to set me up for an argument. An argument I'm not interested in having. Watch GH's videos if you want to argue with his perspective. There's a video from last year on his patreon where I think he even starts quoting scientific papers.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 03:09:51 AM by Shtonk »

WavyDavy

• Rep: 128
« Reply #642 on: April 19, 2024, 02:21:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

How?
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

There's like 0 data to support this which is why you only see hacks like Taylor Silverman making an issue of it. That's not a controversial but objective fact it's just straight up erroneous

There are enough scientific papers and studies which support his statement.

Magnolia

• She/They
« Reply #643 on: April 19, 2024, 06:05:28 AM »
Research funded by the IOC (who clearly have a lot of skin in the game in organized and professional sport) has shown that trans women perform equivalently or slightly worse than cis women on a lot of athletic metrics:
https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/early/2024/04/10/bjsports-2023-108029
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/2024/04/11/transgender-sportswomen-at-a-disadvantage-study-claims/
It's totally fair to not want to commit to arguing on a youtuber's behalf so I'm just dropping counter evidence to show that this isn't settled science by any means.
I like a lot of Joa's content but I'm guessing he may be out of his depth on this particular subject

I've derailed this thread enough so here's my unpopular opinion: switch frontside flips are played out

lurkluke

• Rep: 177
« Reply #644 on: April 19, 2024, 03:05:02 PM »
Research funded by the IOC (who clearly have a lot of skin in the game in organized and professional sport) has shown that trans women perform equivalently or slightly worse than cis women on a lot of athletic metrics:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/2024/04/11/transgender-sportswomen-at-a-disadvantage-study-claims/
It's totally fair to not want to commit to arguing on a youtuber's behalf so I'm just dropping counter evidence to show that this isn't settled science by any means.
I like a lot of Joa's content but I'm guessing he may be out of his depth on this particular subject

I've derailed this thread enough so here's my unpopular opinion: switch frontside flips are played out

I think he realised he was out of his depth because I think e pulled that vid pretty soon after releasing it, despite talking it up for a while before. (It might be on his Patron still?)

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #645 on: April 19, 2024, 04:29:16 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I think he realised he was out of his depth because I think e pulled that vid pretty soon after releasing it, despite talking it up for a while before. (It might be on his Patron still?)
Unpopular opinion- we just know the best answer and we’ll just have to take our time and figure it out. Lucky for skateboarding it’s not really a big issue at this point.

work_lurker

• Rep: 79
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
« Reply #646 on: April 19, 2024, 05:36:01 PM »
We were never afraid of rising flood waters, we just wanted to wrap our impossibles like Dylan.
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1397
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #647 on: April 19, 2024, 07:19:07 PM »
Cis men are way too concerned with transwomen, how they move through the world, and the rules.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #648 on: April 19, 2024, 10:15:27 PM »
You don’t need a milkshake with a burger….

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #649 on: April 19, 2024, 11:16:43 PM »
Its time for the backside noseslide to be re-retired.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #650 on: April 19, 2024, 11:20:38 PM »
You don’t need a milkshake with a burger….
Any dairy drink with food is too much. Its for when you need something but don't want actually to eat.

Troubadour26

• Rep: 78
« Reply #651 on: April 19, 2024, 11:24:13 PM »

did you see the one on the outside of the curved rail recently? It may be the same one in New York the one guy darkslid, I don’t remember where I saw it. So fucking awesome though.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #652 on: April 19, 2024, 11:33:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

did you see the one on the outside of the curved rail recently? It may be the same one in New York the one guy darkslid, I don’t remember where I saw it. So fucking awesome though.
There will always be examples where someone does a meh trick really well/in an interesting way but in general it's just been completely over used. Maybe it's because of the time when I started skating but the noseslide always just seems like some soap shoes thing to me.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #653 on: April 20, 2024, 03:42:11 AM »
I don't know. Should staple tricks be retired? I'd rather bs nose nollie heel out be retired first.

Buttworm

• Rep: 31
« Reply #654 on: April 20, 2024, 03:48:55 AM »
I’ll never let go noseslide

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #655 on: April 20, 2024, 03:52:22 AM »
I don't know. Should staple tricks be retired? I'd rather bs nose nollie heel out be retired first.
Only as far as videos. Everybody is completely free to do as many noseslides or no complys or body varials or whatever it is that makes them happy in their own time. They're just getting rinsed in videos and it's not that interesting. Every video already had the one push to noseslide down a mountain 20+ years ago

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #656 on: April 20, 2024, 02:57:21 PM »

I think it's time to stop calling backside noseslides, backside noseslides.  One can be called frontside...the other... noseslide.  Same goes boardslide...lipslide.....there is the one that everyone knows ,and the other one....we an call the other one by name.....

Dad Board

• Rep: 80
« Reply #657 on: April 20, 2024, 03:01:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think it's time to stop calling backside noseslides, backside noseslides.  One can be called frontside...the other... noseslide.  Same goes boardslide...lipslide.....there is the one that everyone knows ,and the other one....we an call the other one by name.....

I think I already do that in my head. Unless someone specifies frontside I’m gonna see a bs noseslide and boardslide if they just say the name of either trick.

Underpressureflips

• Rep: 45
« Reply #658 on: April 20, 2024, 03:11:25 PM »
Cis men are way too concerned with transwomen, how they move through the world, and the rules.

100%

vinithebr

• Rep: -20
« Reply #659 on: April 20, 2024, 06:07:37 PM »

First timer on tinder and it's hilarious how to me trans profiles are often way cooler than cis women's, maybe I'm pan, or maybe that's just misogyny

(edit: misogyny not mysogyny, ok english, 2 ys is fine 3 is too much)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2024, 06:26:21 PM by vinithebr »