Author Topic: Lakai 2024  (Read 2561 times)

JM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 218
  • sup dog
Lakai 2024
« on: January 04, 2024, 04:20:59 PM »
I’ve only had exactly one pair of Lakai’s and the year was 2003 or something. They made my wide feet hurt so I returned them. I know zero about their durability.

History now established, their new XLK cupsole looks interesting and seems functional (shock absorption). And their designs look clean on the newest I’ve seen online.

When I search “Lakai”, the last post is 2014? That can’t be right.

Anyways. The point: does Lakai have a legitimate chance at coming back into style/popularity?

Another brand new account coming in on some absolute fuck shit

herecomesaregular

• Rep: 8
Re: Lakai 2024
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2024, 04:22:19 PM »
No.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1063
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2024, 04:36:57 PM »
This is what Lakai Telfords look like to Gen Z skaters who wear Nikes…

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2024, 05:58:30 PM »
Why though?

I have a feeling they’re making a comeback. Maybe it was that one dude last year that put out the really good part in Lakai’s. It made me think that good skating was possible in them. Which then led me to think that Lakai’s had a chance to return.

Meathook

• Rep: 73
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2024, 06:01:26 PM »
Why though?

I have a feeling they’re making a comeback. Maybe it was that one dude last year that put out the really good part in Lakai’s. It made me think that good skating was possible in them. Which then led me to think that Lakai’s had a chance to return.

Precisely.

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2024, 06:18:10 PM »
the lakai mariano's (the first ever model that Mike Mo skated a lot post Fully Flared) and the Griffin XLK's were the best shoes they ever made.
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 717
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2024, 06:20:57 PM »
the lakai mariano's (the first ever model that Mike Mo skated a lot post Fully Flared) and the Griffin XLK's were the best shoes they ever made.

MJ3’s, Manchesters, griffin and Daly.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2024, 07:44:57 PM »
Somebody once dismissively called the Telfords, Michael Gordons, and it still gives me a chuckle

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2202
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2024, 08:19:31 PM »
I don’t know precisely where we went wrong, but naming conventions for action-sports footwear are dismal & bleak harbingers of the coming intellectual apocolypse.
Telford?
Why not?!?
Sounds perfectly at home amongst contemporaries such as Boxly, Farthington, and Murion.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2024, 08:40:16 PM »
Post this in Upcoming Shoes or Shoes You're Currently Wearing threads. People talk about Lakai in those.

MikeX

• Rep: 8
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2024, 10:13:12 PM »
I don’t know precisely where we went wrong, but naming conventions for action-sports footwear are dismal & bleak harbingers of the coming intellectual apocolypse.
Telford?
Why not?!?
Sounds perfectly at home amongst contemporaries such as Boxly, Farthington, and Murion.

They're named after British places no? Hence the manchester, bristol, cardiff, cambridge, essex, etc.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2024, 11:23:44 PM »
I feel that nobody really cares but we'll always have a soft spot for it due to Fully Flared and those Manchester memories and Howard 4 being on Mike No feet on his debut part.
Also what keeps them in business is probably that they're kinda hot in Japan and Korea.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

marcusbutler

• Rep: 40
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2024, 11:35:36 PM »
They haven't released a shoe in the past ten years that wasn't bad but nothing good either. I skated a pair of the atlantics recently. Nothing to write home about.
We rode 7.5's" and didn't complain.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2024, 05:43:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Telford?
Why not?!?
[close]

They're named after British places no? Hence the manchester, bristol, cardiff, cambridge, essex, etc.

Telford is named after the guy who designed Mike Carroll’s pro model on Vans (and presumably other shoes) or it’s an amazing coincidence

slobburnquist

• Rep: 6
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2024, 06:30:18 AM »
I’ve only had exactly one pair of Lakai’s and the year was 2003 or something. They made my wide feet hurt so I returned them. I know zero about their durability.

History now established, their new XLK cupsole looks interesting and seems functional (shock absorption). And their designs look clean on the newest I’ve seen online.

When I search “Lakai”, the last post is 2014? That can’t be right.

Anyways. The point: does Lakai have a legitimate chance at coming back into style/popularity?

They are still very narrow as of the pair of Telford's that I bought last year.

Underpressureflips

• Rep: 45
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2024, 07:05:35 AM »
Lakai should la-die. They did a collab with Lena Dunham.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2024, 08:32:54 AM »
They aren't bad, but for the same price you could get a "better" shoe like a NB or Adidas when they go on discount. I have 2 pairs of Telfords as chillers and despite wearing a pair for months it has not broken in. I like that model as a non-Dunk alternative but I don't see myself ever skating a pair.

And their brand identity hasn't been the same since FF, I remember buying a pair of Koston's pro model immediately after the video came out despite them killing my feet and ankles.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2024, 09:01:46 AM »
I got a couple of pairs for free a few years ago and it was incredibly disappointing how quickly the soles wore through. Much quicker than anything from the big brands, but otherwise they seemed to skate fine.

The other pairs were collecting dust in my basement for a few years until this fall, when I decided I'd wear them. So I got them out, took a good look at them, and the overall quality was pathetic compared to a pair of New Balance, Vans or Nikes. Ended up leaving them at the skatepark for the groms.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 10:23:38 AM by manysnakes »
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -761
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2024, 01:39:34 PM »
They are really good and last jist as long as NB or any other brand.

The Cambridge is really good. Probably my favourite shoe to skate just under the NB 247.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1292
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2024, 02:01:21 PM »
I just want them to make the telford out of high quality material. Are they just unable to source good production? If so, maybe just call it quits.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1063
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2024, 03:41:15 PM »
I just want them to make the telford out of high quality material. Are they just unable to source good production? If so, maybe just call it quits.

10 years ago Telfords were my go to. Now they make them narrow in the forefoot and pointy in the toe. Didn’t realize the material went downhill also.

I had a pair of Guy’s that were so comfortable but the heel fell off and the smelled worse than any other shoe I ever had and that was my last pair.

smg1138

• Rep: 40
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2024, 04:05:05 PM »
I liked the Manchester XLK a lot and really wish Lakai still made them. Never understood companies that discontinue their best and most classic models. Probably like 90% of contemporary skate shoes seem like straight trash to me.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2024, 04:28:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

10 years ago Telfords were my go to. Now they make them narrow in the forefoot and pointy in the toe. Didn’t realize the material went downhill also.

Explains why the pair of Telfords chillers I have still hurt my feet despite buying TTS and walking trying to break them in after months.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2024, 08:22:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Telford?
Why not?!?
[close]

[close]

Telford is named after the guy who designed Mike Carroll’s pro model on Vans (and presumably other shoes) or it’s an amazing coincidence

Telford is a place in England, so it was named after the place from what I recall. Where did you read/hear it was named after the Mike Carrol Vans designer?
Super Champion Fun Zone

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 292
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2024, 08:41:22 PM »
The telfords both hi and low are some of my favorite shoes. I'm glad they've been keeping that shoe around.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2024, 09:29:54 AM »
Thanks for the thoughts.

I see Lakai’s in almost every skateshop in person and online, and it seems like an “entry-level” shoe to have for shops (where say they can’t get Vans or Nike line).

I like their designs, especially the newer ones   (the dunk knockoffs really aren’t that bad looking: the logo is fine enough)

it’s too bad their quality isn’t better.

I think another way to express my gut feeling is that it’s been, what, a decade since MJ left, and all that bad blood surrounding the brand might have gone away… and at the end of the day, it’s a talented team and it still is a “core” skate brand (yes I know, there’s arguments over what “core” is… you know what I mean since it’s headed by two OG skaters). Also, the new cupsole tech seems legit.

But maybe it just has the same problems Emerica does, and kids today are more enamored with the Nikes and NB. It could also just be me rooting for the underdog cause that’s fun.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2024, 03:06:50 PM »

But maybe it just has the same problems Emerica does, and kids today are more enamored with the Nikes and NB. It could also just be me rooting for the underdog cause that’s fun.

Lakai and any of the other core skate brands like Fallen, eS, Emerica or Etnies should always have a place in our industry. They make good, sometimes even great shoes like the Marana.

Their challenge is that they are squeezed by competing brands who can spend more on R&D / pay riders more / offer consumers more colorways / slash prices to clear inventory and consumers who want more variety and gave zero connection to legacy brands.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

emotional_degloving

• Rep: 44
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2024, 04:29:11 PM »
Shop I go to and hang out with the owner of often, they sold a pair of Lakais. It got sent to the depot. One of the workers at the depot decided to steal the shoebox, probably thinking he'd got a pair of jordans or some shit, and the kid who bought them ended up getting a dress sent to them instead. Owner decides to send the dude another pair because he's had these jawns around since fuckin 2018 and sold about 2.

Getting buried with the Lakais, ashes spread on the crail couch.

I Can't Think

• Rep: 31
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2024, 12:38:34 AM »
Honestly I've found that the lakai shoes, and also the sole tech shoes I've skated tend to last me longer than big brands, which are the terraces and winos (vulc and cup) respectively. Adidas has been inconsistent, the cupsole puigs are amazing, but when I got some ADV sambas cause I fell for the samba hype they got shredded so fast. Nike's have always been meh in my experience when it comes to durability. NB is the exception and has been really damn good though, durability of the 1010s and 808s has been solid, although I found the 1010s were a bit inconsistent depending on the colorway and what materials, suede etc. they used for that specific colorway. Anyways NB is the only big company where I agree about the quality.

I think the issue is that the only shoes I really like the design off the top of my head from Lakai are the terraces, manchesters (at least the older ones) and telfords. As long as we're talking other core companies, for emerica it's the gamma, the KSL and the wino. In both brands cases everything else just sorta blends together and looks too similar, or doesn't look like something that'd really appeal to current skater sensibilities.

So the issue then is if I want a quality skate shoe with a design I like, when I step into a skateshop, NB presents me with a lot more options that look appealing. Beyond that, while NB is the only big company that I've personally found to be good quality overall, the bigger companies just have more designs that are more broadly appealing to current skater sensibilities, so when people walk into a skateshop, they're gonna gravitate to those brands more often since there's more likely to provide a shoe that's appealing, cool, etc.

Anyways, despite all that, I can't speak for their other shoes but the Lakai Terrace is probably my favorite skate shoe in recent memory. I cannot stress this enough, these shoes specifically fucking rule. Only issue I have is there aren't some hidden lace loops, which I think they used to do fairly often on shoes a long time ago? And they stitching for the panel with the lace loops looks like it'll start to separate for me near the first few lace loops. But this happens with every shoe I skate with paneling like that. Again, great fucking shoe, feels the best to skate in moment to moment for me. I hate ripping laces, but these are one of the few shoes that feel so nice to skate in moment to moment that it overcomes that annoyance for me. Ok rant over, try the terrace if you're curious lol
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 02:25:02 AM by I Can't Think »

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2024, 02:22:43 AM »
If a person fails to find success as an individual, they often fall into the mainstream where their dreams die. Many will elide youth's devastation, filling the space once occupied by curiosity and whimsy with embarassment and vitriolic disdain. Still think they should bring back the mj-1.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 02:44:33 AM by botefdunn »