Author Topic: Do you look down on grown men who are trash at skating?  (Read 9044 times)

leafman4000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 29
Re: Do you look down on grown men who are trash at skating?
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2024, 02:30:18 PM »
As someone who’s dealt with similar stuff, a “YEWWW” followed by props and “that was sick dude” is all it really takes. Then boom, you guys are cool with each other
I thought skaters were tough and got laid. Way off

dstrytruitt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 109
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2024, 02:40:52 PM »
I try to never look down on anyone at the park as I’m not all that great, myself, and I really appreciate the opportunity to just skate. I stick to transition because that’s what I enjoy and if I get some carve grinds in the deep end I’m stoked for a week! We’re all in this shit together so say hi and pass on a compliment. You get back what you put in.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2024, 02:51:33 PM »
everyone is learning something at the park. the park i go to has a ton of older guys dorking around on basic stuff. it's awesome.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 966
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2024, 07:19:58 PM »
You could skate street too if you're not feeling the park.

I had like a 3 year park everyday run. It was ok. I kept looking across the river being like.

I should just go esplanade. The park is a trap. I'm just going to get dehydrated and forget to pee. And eat. I never eat when I'm at the park because I never stop rolling.

I was putting in crazy hrs too.

Now I'm like over it. I like my curbs and my hill. My Manny pad.

I'm kinda bumming I can not find a naturally occurring flat bar.

It's depressing because I'm definitely way more comfortable on rails than ledges these days.

I never miss the lock in on a rail. I can get all the way on top of round flat bars.  It's safe like curbs.

A ledge pretends to be your friend then it bites you.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2024, 08:21:00 PM »
It might be a generational thing and may have nothing to do with your skill level. I notice that younger people will look you in the eye and won't say anything when you say "what's up" or nod your head.

I don't like people in general but still try to acknowledge them since I'm an outsider at every spot or park, even ones near my house or in my home town.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1099
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2024, 08:41:27 PM »
I'd assume they were just beginning or had some injury that set them back or limited them. My estimation of them as a person would be informed by aspects of their appearance or behavior.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 174
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2024, 09:14:09 PM »
I'm kinda bumming I can not find a naturally occurring flat bar.

Sometimes natural takes work. When I need a flat bar I look in the free section for scrap metal and go find a wide sidewalk or slab to build one. This is in Lawrence, MA

https://offerup.com/item/detail/4546f6fa-c0cb-35df-8e42-11c6a3726e30?q=free+scrap+metal

I think we solved the ol' looking down on someone quandary so I felt I could highjack for a moment

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2024, 09:20:41 PM »
Not at all, I always try and talk to people like you.  I think part of it is your sensitivity to how you perceive and feel about yourself, but at the same time, skaters can definitely be socially inept, cliquey, and while it's not how it was 20-30 years ago, there's still a bit of a pecking order based on how good you are.  It's awesome you've put in 4 years like that.  Keep at it. 

Sick_McCrank_

• Rep: -485
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2024, 01:58:03 AM »
Being good at skating and keep skating is easy. Being bad at skating and keep skating is hard.
So you’re hard and deserve respect. Keep going.

Trendwatch 2022: kooking Sick_McCrank_ everyday for being a kook

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 788
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2024, 10:03:14 AM »
According to Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi your performance is at its best when you reach a state of 'Flow.' There are a few factors to it but it requires the right balance of challenge with achievability. It can't be too hard or too easy. A part of this that gets you a little closer to this balance and flow is having people around who are "better" and "worse" than you.

So if you're at the session and there are two skaters better than you and two skaters worse than you, you are in an optimum position to find your flow. We've all been at a session where everyone is ripping way beyond our level or way below or level and that doesn't typically bring out the best in us. (I realize there are exceptions to this from time to time).

All to say, no matter where you are on the ability scale, in the right setting, you can play a role in helping others find their flow... and them for you.

It is a beautiful thing when this is going down.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1397
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2024, 10:44:12 AM »

smoke some fuhkin weed. eat a fuhkin banana. drink some fuhkin coffee. laugh at yourself and skate more
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

DERBY

• Rep: 254
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2024, 10:46:14 AM »
i think a lot of skaters are introverted or are socially anxious. almost everyone feels inadequate and wants acceptance. its entirely normal and human to feel that way. skillset shouldn't dictate ur means of being accepted. ur attitude and how u present urself does.

theres an unspoken attitude of respect ppl who love skating have towards one another. a good portion of it is respecting everyones personal space and sometimes we’re uncertain on whether we’re overstepping those boundaries.

as cliche and corny as it is, whatever you put out is whatever u attract. if ur defensive ppl will give u ur space. if ur open ppl might come. its entirely up to em. but to answer ur question once more, most folks are open minded and dont give a single fuck about ur skillset. theyre prolly too occupied worrying about theirs and whether they’ll be accepted or not

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 529
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2024, 12:04:22 AM »
Expand Quote
yes because im taller than them
[close]

See...I was going to say "only because I'm 6'2""...but you beat me to it. Well played Sir.

Or how about yeah, when I'm standing on top of the quarterpipe and they're on flat.

Shtonk

• Rep: -341
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2024, 02:18:45 AM »
i have nothing but disdain (and pity) for anyone who needs to play cool past their mid twenties. But my disdain is only slightly less for those past their mid twenties who enable that shit by putting themselves below the cool people. By the time you hit 30, life should have taught you about the things that really matter and those that really don't.

jonnysheen

• Rep: -63
« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2024, 03:03:52 AM »
in my age group, anyone who can do anything on a skateboard is to be congratulated

I've got to ask.  How old are you and where do you skate?   I've seen Kenny Everett in S&M gear pop up a number of times on this board and now I have the courage to ask.  UK I'm guessing?

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -380
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2024, 05:00:11 AM »
29 years is old 😂

ralf_

• Rep: -37
  • yo
« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2024, 05:40:36 AM »
just scate alone mane! its the funnest anyway
fun fun fun

cherry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2024, 06:47:13 AM »
As a grown man that sucks at skating I’d say let that freak flag fly. If some youngin looks down on ya or talks shit it’s really their own issue they have just ignore them

Shrinedescender

• Rep: 147
« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2024, 07:05:04 AM »
I mercilessly cool guy them at the park. I chuckle when they miss a ledge trick and tumble like a sack of potatoes. I tell others (of my skill level of course) that it brings me contentment watching them flail and flounder as I skate around them with ease.

Yet as I lay my head at night, I am bombarded with fantasies. I dream of teaching them the ways of the board. Showing them the seminal full-lengths of great cultural importance, and how to discern the markings of different woodshops. We become lovers. We retire to the Italian countryside to live out the rest of our days. In warm embrace under the Tuscan sun, we share our delights, our fears, and fresh citrus fruits.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1190
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2024, 07:07:32 AM »
Great question.

I love anyone that loves skating. 

Not so hot on anyone that parasitically gloms on to the culture.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2024, 07:33:48 AM »
Not at all. If you’re out there getting it. Respect brother.

Yakusoku2

• Rep: 45
« Reply #81 on: January 21, 2024, 08:12:52 AM »
No way I'm looking down on somebody, skater or not. But I'm the grown man (37), so I'm sure young skaters look down on me even they don't show openly.

SATIVA HYBRID

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #82 on: January 21, 2024, 09:14:32 AM »
depends. if i can tell you've always skated and you just happen to be bad at it, no. if you started skating in your 20s i will judge the fuck out of you
only hoe i love is popeyes
i put my dick in the drumstick

shockpadsandwristguards

• Rep: -253
« Reply #83 on: January 21, 2024, 09:25:09 AM »
Knowing skateboarders i can tell you that everyone below 25 will judge the fuck out of you and treat you worse/ ignore you if you suck at skating as an adult
Most skateboarders Are extremly nice to you if you Are good at skating, your jokes are twice as funny and all of your stories are so much more reliable even if you are full of shit

But since you are a grown men fuck everyone below 25 and just have fun and talk to real adults at the Park
They know what real life feels like
Hope you have good Session

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -360
« Reply #84 on: January 21, 2024, 11:29:24 AM »
Grown men that kill the fun at the session are the only ones getting looked down on.

Just have a good time and be a good time and don't worry about that other shit.

decoi1

• Rep: 18
« Reply #85 on: January 21, 2024, 12:29:12 PM »
What’s weird is when I was younger and actually pretty damn good at skating I never judged or thought less of the older guys still out there trying to do it. I admired it but rarely engaged with them but would always give props. I’m in my early forties now and still get out and skate a couple few times a week at not nearly the skill set I once had. But now when I’m at skate parks I can’t help but feel like anyone who’s paying attention is judging me or laughing at me trying to remember how to do things I used to be really good at on this thing I’ve loved since a kid. But it’s probably all in my head. Skateboarding is fucking hard. Keep trying if you’re having fun

one-off

• Rep: 107
« Reply #86 on: January 21, 2024, 02:04:49 PM »
According to Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi your performance is at its best when you reach a state of 'Flow.' There are a few factors to it but it requires the right balance of challenge with achievability. It can't be too hard or too easy. A part of this that gets you a little closer to this balance and flow is having people around who are "better" and "worse" than you.

So if you're at the session and there are two skaters better than you and two skaters worse than you, you are in an optimum position to find your flow. We've all been at a session where everyone is ripping way beyond our level or way below or level and that doesn't typically bring out the best in us. (I realize there are exceptions to this from time to time).

All to say, no matter where you are on the ability scale, in the right setting, you can play a role in helping others find their flow... and them for you.

Brutal but I don’t think you can get on flow let alone man am if you can’t FS 180

one-off

• Rep: 107
« Reply #87 on: January 21, 2024, 02:08:25 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Brutal but I don’t think you can get on flow or any form of sponsorship if you can’t FS 180

G_Money

• Rep: 12
« Reply #88 on: January 21, 2024, 02:46:46 PM »
As someone who’s dealt with similar stuff, a “YEWWW” followed by props and “that was sick dude” is all it really takes. Then boom, you guys are cool with each other

This all day. People love a few board taps followed by a complement on their trick. Before long kids will be asking if you can throw down on a blunt.

grandslam

• Rep: 46
« Reply #89 on: January 21, 2024, 07:04:23 PM »
To answer your question. No not at all, I typically go out of my way to say hello to everyone at the park regardless of skill level.

I know that there is a lot of nuance here - 4 years at the park, but how often? How old are you?

Like most people here have already said, I would reckon that after that long, and no interactions, maybe try to step outside of your comfort zone and at least give a few people you recognize a fist bump when you arrive or leave. Might seem weird at first, but that’s an easy, low social commitment interaction that can open up some conversations.