Author Topic: Can we talk about Bobby's commentary on the Static series?  (Read 10310 times)

overwaxed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 92
Re: Can we talk about Bobby's commentary on the Static series?
« Reply #120 on: February 04, 2024, 06:11:39 PM »
Josh lives in the richest part of brooklyn

I think he lives in Carroll Gardens which is far from the richest part of Brooklyn - I paid $985 with 2 roommates there in 2017-2018

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -607
« Reply #121 on: February 04, 2024, 06:18:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
So this is what he's all pissed off about (2:50)?

[close]

irl lol
[close]
No wonder he was pissed - those clips were embarrassing.

I liked them. I like Bob. Never agree with him. But I still think he’s awesome.
I’m a ghost that everyone can see.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 717
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #122 on: February 04, 2024, 11:28:33 PM »
I'd be bummed if I was from NYC. That would take all the thrill out of it I'd spend all my time doing what I do at home.

I'd like to meet Josh. I think Toa is bad ass tho

He is 100% a stand up guy. We’ve traded emails back and forth since about 2016 or so. Last summer I had a trip planned for NYC for a week in September and hit him up on a whim to skate or hang or something (what’s he gonna do? Say no? Not respond?) and he got back to me and offered to put me and my friend on ‘The List’ for the Static 6 premiere. 

Bob though… I don’t want to meet. I know I’d get clowned on.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

rusty knees

• Rep: -10
  • I had a photo in SLAP
« Reply #123 on: February 05, 2024, 06:41:34 AM »
50-50s and ollies

so impressive

BeAWitness

• Rep: 3
« Reply #124 on: February 11, 2024, 08:52:05 PM »
https://www.vice.com/en/article/ppmmg9/seventeen-things-you-didnt-know-static-josh-stewart-467

haha i don’t know if anyone’s posted this but i found this old article where josh stewart’s talks about his and bobby’s falling out. a little message board mention in there too

Crust

• Rep: 42
« Reply #125 on: February 12, 2024, 02:33:32 AM »
https://www.vice.com/en/article/ppmmg9/seventeen-things-you-didnt-know-static-josh-stewart-467

haha i don’t know if anyone’s posted this but i found this old article where josh stewart’s talks about his and bobby’s falling out. a little message board mention in there too

Great to hear Josh's side of the story for balance.

Tricky situation.

As much criticism as Bobby gets, I think most people would feel aggrieved if they took a flight to make some kind of closure and were straight up deceived.

But then again, I don't think most people would feel aggrieved to that extent. Also, Bobby is not the editor, so how much say should he have on Josh's process?

Maybe it would have been best to just move Bobby's part earlier rather than pretending he would take Nick's trick out?

Curious to hear people's opinions.

burner

• Rep: 91
« Reply #126 on: February 12, 2024, 05:00:23 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Great to hear Josh's side of the story for balance.

Tricky situation.

As much criticism as Bobby gets, I think most people would feel aggrieved if they took a flight to make some kind of closure and were straight up deceived.

But then again, I don't think most people would feel aggrieved to that extent. Also, Bobby is not the editor, so how much say should he have on Josh's process?

Maybe it would have been best to just move Bobby's part earlier rather than pretending he would take Nick's trick out?

Curious to hear people's opinions.

Josh and Bobby obviously did have a strong collaboration and Bobby’s is the best/last part in Static II - and then to nuke that squabbling about clips just sucks. Yeah, Bobby’s kinda crazy, like Josh says in that interview “ It got to the point where, no joke, he would have to take walks three times a day around my neighborhood to cool off. He'd say, "If I don't leave right now, we're going to get into a fist fight." That’s pretty bonkers and not rational behaviour, but that’s Bobby Puleo and Josh knows that. And Josh knows that lying about changing the clip is gonna destroy their collaboration - and Josh does it anyway, for one clip, and “We've never really been friends since. That was the straw that broke the camel's back”. Just seems like a huge waste.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 119
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #127 on: February 12, 2024, 05:30:36 AM »
Yeah, knowing someone is that crazy and irrational and then promising them something only to go back on your word seems like a huge recipe for disaster …

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 722
  • Free Max B
Re: Can we talk about Bobby's commentary on the Static series? R
« Reply #128 on: February 12, 2024, 06:02:57 AM »
How many times can this dead horse be dug up and beaten?

”you think they got 4,5,and 6 trains in Tampa?” Will always be funny.

I’d rather watch Bobby talk about old long gone vert ramps and graffiti. But how many of you have seen static 1? it’s undeniable that the videos went from a FL dude gtapping in with the right dudes in various metropolitan areas… to putting out videos that were >50% super8 footage of bridges connecting Manhattan and Brooklyn by Static 4.

I found an angle of the towers falling with a big DEVS roller in the foreground. Honestly suprised he hasn’t posted that yet.

Free Max B
FREE MAX B

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 359
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #129 on: February 12, 2024, 08:18:56 AM »

I’d rather watch Bobby talk about old long gone vert ramps and graffiti. But how many of you have seen static 1? it’s undeniable that the videos went from a FL dude gtapping in with the right dudes in various metropolitan areas… to putting out videos that were >50% super8 footage of bridges connecting Manhattan and Brooklyn by Static 4.

I found an angle of the towers falling with a big DEVS roller in the foreground. Honestly suprised he hasn’t posted that yet.

Free Max B

Okay, and…? Are some of y’all seriously trying to say the last four Static videos are not good because he moved a few hundred miles north? You’re not allowed  to film your surroundings? And how about Static VI? Is it “too NY” for you (whatever that means)? He’s only been living there for two decades now.

“omg he moved and filmed public transportation!!! I can never watch Jake Johnson again”

Infinitely cornier than whatever you think Mr. Stewart is allegedly pulling by making incredible independent skate videos.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #130 on: February 12, 2024, 09:06:40 AM »
personally if i invented street skateboarding and discovered the cellar door like bobby did, i would be mad too. literally nobody had ever skated in new york before bobby did it. he grew up in the gritty new york city neighborhood of passaic nj, so he's basically the epitome of a lifer. put some respect on his name.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2202
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #131 on: February 12, 2024, 10:05:05 AM »
personally if i invented street skateboarding and discovered the cellar door like bobby did, i would be mad too. literally nobody had ever skated in new york before bobby did it. he grew up in the gritty new york city neighborhood of passaic nj, so he's basically the epitome of a lifer. put some respect on his name.
!!!

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #132 on: February 12, 2024, 11:08:21 AM »
maybe thrasher will do one of those cute interview videos with josh and bobbi and this will all blow over
good come sausage

spacial_profiling

• Rep: -88
« Reply #133 on: February 13, 2024, 01:48:43 AM »
Expand Quote

Free Max B
[close]

Okay, and…? Are some of y’all seriously trying to say the last four Static videos are not good because he moved a few hundred miles north? You’re not allowed  to film your surroundings? And how about Static VI? Is it “too NY” for you (whatever that means)? He’s only been living there for two decades now.

“omg he moved and filmed public transportation!!! I can never watch Jake Johnson again”

Infinitely cornier than whatever you think Mr. Stewart is allegedly pulling by making incredible independent skate videos.
No one said the videos aren’t good. Bobby said it multiple times. What’s lost after 2 is the basis of what Static was into something that’s less niche and more marketable. Personally would have preferred to see a more Florida focus on those later videos. Cigar City was great. Definitely grew something amazing in Theories, but the transplant affect of it all is still there and clear. But yes, he’s defiantly marketed and made NY skating look better than many if not most skate film makers imo. Again, would have been dope to see that energy continue into more Florida or east coast projects.

Ignatius J Reilly

• Rep: 270
  • often correct
« Reply #134 on: February 13, 2024, 04:20:29 AM »
he did make florida and east coast projects that werent static related well into the 2000s but go off

Frank Sobotka

• Rep: 88
  • We used to make shit in this country, build shit
« Reply #135 on: February 13, 2024, 06:39:29 AM »
Bobby is such a loveable crank. I enjoy his ramblings whether they make sense or I agree with him or not, the guy's hilarious.

Mandatory Reload

• Rep: 79
« Reply #136 on: February 13, 2024, 06:57:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think he lives in Carroll Gardens which is far from the richest part of Brooklyn - I paid $985 with 2 roommates there in 2017-2018

Not that it really matters (I don't think that Josh's credentials to make skate videos in NYC should be based on where in Brooklyn he lives lol) but it kinda is the richest part of Brooklyn though... that whole zone of Carroll Gardens, Park Slope, Boerum/Cobble Hill, Brooklyn Heights, etc. (essentially Northwest Brooklyn) is definitely the wealthiest and most expensive area of Brooklyn. pretty much all the results of a quick Google search of "wealthiest neighborhoods in Brooklyn" list Carroll Gardens in the top 5.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 971
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #137 on: February 13, 2024, 09:15:15 AM »
I feel like he meant that the look of static has become one thing a Static love letter to New York.

Josh should come out here and film my guys.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 717
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #138 on: February 13, 2024, 09:37:30 AM »
he did make florida and east coast projects that werent static related well into the 2000s but go off

Welcome to MIA is my favorite Static video.

Also, it’s been said a few times but Josh didn’t film the majority of Bob’s Static 2 part (and I’d assume Igei’s as well). Dude was more of a producer of that footage via his editing more than anything, which is probably why those arguments started - those dudes weren’t really in the trenches like that which led to Bobby feeling more comfortable with telling Josh how to present his footage, because it was more Bobby’s footage than it was Bobby and Josh’s… if that makes sense..
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

overwaxed

« Reply #139 on: February 13, 2024, 09:47:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Not that it really matters (I don't think that Josh's credentials to make skate videos in NYC should be based on where in Brooklyn he lives lol) but it kinda is the richest part of Brooklyn though... that whole zone of Carroll Gardens, Park Slope, Boerum/Cobble Hill, Brooklyn Heights, etc. (essentially Northwest Brooklyn) is definitely the wealthiest and most expensive area of Brooklyn. pretty much all the results of a quick Google search of "wealthiest neighborhoods in Brooklyn" list Carroll Gardens in the top 5.

Most of this data is based on luxury building's being pushed by big real estate companies like Compass - CG is also a neighborhood where you can meet an Italian guy in a bar who's family owns half a block of buildings and would love to rent you an apt for a decent deal.

Living in NYC is hard no matter where, but if you love it you hustle and make it happen. I live in Chicago now and love it!

Ignatius J Reilly

• Rep: 270
  • often correct
« Reply #140 on: February 13, 2024, 11:47:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Most of this data is based on luxury building's being pushed by big real estate companies like Compass - CG is also a neighborhood where you can meet an Italian guy in a bar who's family owns half a block of buildings and would love to rent you an apt for a decent deal.

Living in NYC is hard no matter where, but if you love it you hustle and make it happen. I live in Chicago now and love it!
ditto the family-rate type deal but also to add: lumping park slope into that zone is kind of bullshit if you're not gonna include gowanus, which borders carroll gardens and is historically... not impoverished, but not particularly nice

it's all for naught though because the most expensive neighborhood in brooklyn is obviously williamsburg (and no we're not including that chunk of bushwick east of bushwick ave everyone calls "east williamsburg")

Skateboard Shuffle

• Rep: 136
« Reply #141 on: February 13, 2024, 12:38:43 PM »
Imagine if Bobby was born in Nebraska and was relegated to skating cornfields.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 01:13:56 PM by Skateboard Shuffle »

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #142 on: February 13, 2024, 12:48:38 PM »
Let’s all just argue about whether Carroll Gardens is a rich neighborhood or not. I say yes.

Stoprockboi

• Rep: -9
« Reply #143 on: February 13, 2024, 03:46:18 PM »
I’m just taking shit but I somewhat agree with Puleo on some takes. It’s just hilarious that Josh goes home to brownstone bk after a day of portraying the gully image of nyc for decades. Can’t really be mad at Puleo because at least he’s true to himself.

Ninj2

• Rep: -67
« Reply #144 on: February 13, 2024, 05:06:42 PM »
Bobby cool. He got you guys talking and all he doin g is picking up trash and trash talking. Crazy how disrespect full slap message boards be. I like mad circle. Imagine saying that in 2024 and thinking anyone knows . It’s like a secret handshake. Fuck it if you don’t know. You little zoomers that came up at zoomies don’t know shit and you need to read a fucking book and put that phone down.

Ninj2

« Reply #145 on: February 13, 2024, 05:12:59 PM »
I recommend reading wind in the willows
And sorting out who you is as an animal.

overwaxed

« Reply #146 on: February 13, 2024, 05:14:47 PM »
I’m just taking shit but I somewhat agree with Puleo on some takes. It’s just hilarious that Josh goes home to brownstone bk after a day of portraying the gully image of nyc for decades. Can’t really be mad at Puleo because at least he’s true to himself.

Even in ‘brownstone Brooklyn’ you’re still going to see a ton of rats, cockroaches, tiny apts, etc.

Do y'all really think Josh is has a omakase chef on staff in his apt and a blood boy? Living in Brooklyn doesn’t mean you’re rich and entitled, just means you can hustle.

I’ll never understand why people love to shame others for choosing to live in nyc - is it jealousy? It’s pretty scary moving there, but one you do it it makes living everywhere else a breeze.

overwaxed

« Reply #147 on: February 13, 2024, 05:18:22 PM »
Also last time I checked Bobby lives in Greenpoint - I lived there for a decade and saw it turn from loft parties and art studios to Murray Hill east. Does that mean Bobby is a finance bro now since his neighbors probably work at Goldman? If you see him sitting outside eating at five leaves are you going to punch him in the face for not being authentic enough?

He’s a great skater, but obviously a total fucking narcissist and loves all the attention he gets from being ‘eccentric and reclusive’

Ninj2

« Reply #148 on: February 13, 2024, 05:23:02 PM »
I know he reeding this.
Here some illuminate shit.
How come Pulaski don’t get the shine it deserve?
Pepe Martinez and andy stone
That’s 20 letters.
What the fuck is 20 letters?

Ninj2

« Reply #149 on: February 13, 2024, 05:32:27 PM »
Reese Forbes in that Dan Wolfe film. With talking heads. That’s like 29 letters. Wut tha fuck that shit mean Bobby?