Author Topic: Skateshop Day 2024  (Read 6195 times)

JM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 218
  • sup dog
Re: Skateshop Day 2024
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2024, 01:52:25 PM »
Emerica Shoes OG-1 Skateshop Day - Tan/Navy
https://www.oldskullskateboards.com/pre-order-emerica-shoes-og-1-skateshop-day-tan-navy/

ÉS Shoes Two Nine 8 Skateshop Day - White/Red
https://www.oldskullskateboards.com/pre-order-es-shoes-two-nine-8-skateshop-day-white-red/

Not a big fan of the past few years of SSD shoes, seems like they are the hardest to move once the hype has died down.
Sad to say it, because I bought a pair, but Emerica messed up by making the egg crate mid sole. At least now they’re saying it’s egg crate, because last year when they released they didn’t.
Another brand new account coming in on some absolute fuck shit

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 768
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2024, 01:53:32 PM »
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

jerry hsu?
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2024, 01:53:34 PM »
as someone who works in a skate shop, i fuckin hate skate shop day
Why, please? The last thing I want to do is piss anyone off.

BoxStuffer

• Rep: 114
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2024, 03:32:32 PM »
Does anyone happen to know if the Grimple LM is a new shape and/or is used on any current DLX boards?

Thanks.
Enjoy your life.

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 644
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2024, 03:40:37 PM »

Oh fuck me dude, I'm going to need to cop at least one of these, if not two.... Jerry Hsu is my all time favorite skater and There is my favorite company right now, so this is a match made in heaven. I have this deck with Jerry's photo as a wall hanger too and the There would complement it really well...

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 545
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2024, 04:40:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Emerica Shoes OG-1 Skateshop Day - Tan/Navy
https://www.oldskullskateboards.com/pre-order-emerica-shoes-og-1-skateshop-day-tan-navy/

ÉS Shoes Two Nine 8 Skateshop Day - White/Red
https://www.oldskullskateboards.com/pre-order-es-shoes-two-nine-8-skateshop-day-white-red/

Not a big fan of the past few years of SSD shoes, seems like they are the hardest to move once the hype has died down.
[close]
Sad to say it, because I bought a pair, but Emerica messed up by making the egg crate mid sole. At least now they’re saying it’s egg crate, because last year when they released they didn’t.

Koston 2's coming back?! Please oh please re-do the Lakers colors.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2024, 06:58:15 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Oh fuck me dude, I'm going to need to cop at least one of these, if not two.... Jerry Hsu is my all time favorite skater and There is my favorite company right now, so this is a match made in heaven. I have this deck with Jerry's photo as a wall hanger too and the There would complement it really well...

For real. That Hsu deck is an absolute necessity if you collect decks.

flamincheney

• Rep: 9
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2024, 07:50:51 PM »
Any other Deluxe board use that stubby 8.5 shape? 

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2024, 07:58:41 PM »

yeah it's their 'true fit' line, so anything 8.5 and listed as true fit should be that. can't recall all of them but there's been a few different graphics from the dlx brands on prior releases, i think this season real has a nicole hause graphic on it that's 8.5 at least

flamincheney

• Rep: 9
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2024, 08:06:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

yeah it's their 'true fit' line, so anything 8.5 and listed as true fit should be that. can't recall all of them but there's been a few different graphics from the dlx brands on prior releases, i think this season real has a nicole hause graphic on it that's 8.5 at least

Thanks a ton. 

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 780
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2024, 08:25:14 PM »
I keep telling myself I don't need a Krooked SSD board and then I stare at them some more...

Same shit happened with the Natas Blind Bags. And then I woke up on the day and went on the hunt around all the local shops, which was actually fun and I scored the deck I wanted...

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2024, 09:56:49 PM »
Those Lance and Mark boards look sick.
I’ll be out of town and hopefully near a shop where I can score one.

Side note: LM should just get on Anti-Hero or Grimple.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

skrdykat

• Rep: 8
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2024, 10:50:23 AM »
The There JH guest deck is the only tempting one I've seen so far to actually buy and skate. The krooked stuff looks like every other dlx "special" release that are becoming not so special anymore. The grimple decks leave a lot to be desired for in colab/design. Not stoked there.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 212
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2024, 11:07:45 AM »
I really like that Wilkins' Real. The routed wheelbase and wheel wells is sick. Cool color combo too. Graphic is aight, but the rest is fire
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2024, 11:12:47 AM »

I want this too.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 824
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2024, 11:33:56 AM »
If you’re in the Chattanooga area come out!

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2024, 03:07:10 PM »
The There JH guest deck is the only tempting one I've seen so far to actually buy and skate. The krooked stuff looks like every other dlx "special" release that are becoming not so special anymore. The grimple decks leave a lot to be desired for in colab/design. Not stoked there.

It is funny being almost 50 and hearing the older guys get so excited about the Grimple colab boards, previous run being the Tony Hawk board, now this one being the Lance Mountain Doughboy graphic and almost the same shape as the original from 1990 when I looked them up again too, so they will sell extremely well, regardless of any other interest, young or old, etc.
 Without the history behind a certain shape, graphic or product, I can also see people often not getting the board references there, or even for some who were never into Powell growing up, so I can easily see people not getting excited about them.

Also I guess with anything like this, they are very limited, special editions, whatever you want to call them, so of course they have to do something a little more, something extra to make people come out to "core shops" to pick up a one off, max 4 of the stained, only one of the natural bottom per shop to order in the first place, so that alone is the idea to get people into those shops, not just buying online or going to mall stores for their product.

Any which way, I am sure quite a few will end up stashed away and never skated, some might be collected and others resold and some even setup and skated, but at least the stoke for those people is still there.

Nothing against you or anyone else - it is skateboarding and it is best not to just fit in and agree with whatever comes out, just in case it might have seemed like I was having a go at you - most definitely am not.

:)

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

skrdykat

• Rep: 8
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2024, 03:39:51 PM »
I completely understand the market these decks are after and that I am not part of it as a mid 30's consumer buying product to use. I know they will sell out and be sought after regardless of what anyone thinks. That being said, at face value of what they are in respect to shape and graphic, the regular spring '24 grimplestix collection has a better chance of getting me into a skateshop than these decks do and that's a bummer personally as a antihero / grimple fan.

Expand Quote
[close]

It is funny being almost 50 and hearing the older guys get so excited about the Grimple colab boards, previous run being the Tony Hawk board, now this one being the Lance Mountain Doughboy graphic and almost the same shape as the original from 1990 when I looked them up again too, so they will sell extremely well, regardless of any other interest, young or old, etc.
 Without the history behind a certain shape, graphic or product, I can also see people often not getting the board references there, or even for some who were never into Powell growing up, so I can easily see people not getting excited about them.

Also I guess with anything like this, they are very limited, special editions, whatever you want to call them, so of course they have to do something a little more, something extra to make people come out to "core shops" to pick up a one off, max 4 of the stained, only one of the natural bottom per shop to order in the first place, so that alone is the idea to get people into those shops, not just buying online or going to mall stores for their product.

Any which way, I am sure quite a few will end up stashed away and never skated, some might be collected and others resold and some even setup and skated, but at least the stoke for those people is still there.

Nothing against you or anyone else - it is skateboarding and it is best not to just fit in and agree with whatever comes out, just in case it might have seemed like I was having a go at you - most definitely am not.

:)

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 539
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2024, 06:34:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I want this too.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2024, 01:27:45 AM »

I completely understand the market these decks are after and that I am not part of it as a mid 30's consumer buying product to use. I know they will sell out and be sought after regardless of what anyone thinks. That being said, at face value of what they are in respect to shape and graphic, the regular spring '24 grimplestix collection has a better chance of getting me into a skateshop than these decks do and that's a bummer personally as a antihero / grimple fan.

Yeah totally get it.

Do you like shaped boards, or regular boards, or have a fav DLX shape?

I know this is not the DLX thread, but any chance to talk about it is fine by me.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 798
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2024, 02:06:39 AM »
Not a fan of Powell, but have always liked the dough bit graphic. This spoof/tribute is 10/10 in my books. If I can get one I'm skating it, even if it just turns into a cruiser if I don't get on with the shape. But I'm on a polar 91 at the moment so don't think it will be a problem.
I just hope that skateshop day helps get some foot traffic and sales to local shops. Especially those in winter at the mo.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2024, 08:24:52 AM »
Seems like some shops already have them up for sale. If I'm sensible I'd grab one today.
that's really lame

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 780
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2024, 08:32:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Seems like some shops already have them up for sale. If I'm sensible I'd grab one today.
[close]
that's really lame

They took them down again. Or sold out... I don't know but it does defeat the whole point...

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 212
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2024, 09:48:48 AM »
Those Lance and Mark boards look sick.
I’ll be out of town and hopefully near a shop where I can score one.

I would buy an AH Mountain so fast, maybe make a duo w/ a Grosso model.

Grimple seems like a bit of a goofy fit imo
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2024, 10:04:52 AM »
Does anyone happen to know if the Grimple LM is a new shape and/or is used on any current DLX boards?

Thanks.
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

mdspb

• Rep: 29
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2024, 11:15:36 AM »
^ new for Deluxe; it’s the Lance doughboy shape.
JAH SK8 SPB

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2024, 12:31:52 PM »
if its gonna be a regularly released shape ill grab one
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2202
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2024, 01:03:53 PM »
I’m inclined to think THIS^^^ as well. If not a 1:1 repro, a fairly faithful tribute shape.
9.83” wide, WB is 14.5” according to my tape.  Nose is 6” & the tail is nearly 7”.
Don’t know how that jibes w/ the original Dough Boy dims, but it looks like it’ll be a time machine of sorts.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2024, 01:20:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I’m inclined to think THIS^^^ as well. If not a 1:1 repro, a fairly faithful tribute shape.
9.83” wide, WB is 14.5” according to my tape.  Nose is 6” & the tail is nearly 7”.
Don’t know how that jibes w/ the original Dough Boy dims, but it looks like it’ll be a time machine of sorts.
not 1:1

og powell mountain doughboy from fall 1990
“mid” size was 10/32 (no clue about wheelbase)
“mini” size was 9.75/31.5 (missing wheelbase)

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2024, 02:35:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
not 1:1

og powell mountain doughboy from fall 1990
“mid” size was 10/32 (no clue about wheelbase)
“mini” size was 9.75/31.5 (missing wheelbase)

I wonder if they keep anything under 10" even just by a bit, then they don't have to go for the wider sheets of ply so keeping costs down a little.

Either way, it looks like it would be a fun ride, but then anything on modern BBS concave is more fun for me than something like the Powell concave of those boards, reissue or OG stock.

There are some good pics and info on the Doughboy boards out there, which is interesting to see.  Never had one growing up and thinking I had a Hill bulldog and a Conklin face around that time, not too many boards during those years, but I like the graphic of the Doughboy - nice simple and kind of cool at the time too.