Author Topic: Careers that petered/flamed out  (Read 16087 times)

BreakfastSandwich

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Re: Careers that petered/flamed out
« Reply #210 on: March 08, 2024, 04:41:06 PM »
What happened to Justen Drysen? Huf part then gone.

Southernmost

• Rep: 116
« Reply #211 on: March 08, 2024, 11:33:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Kader
[close]

Heís only 21 and has been hurt for a year and a half, what can we expect?

He just had a samba colorway and is still sponsored by Supreme. Thatís not quite petered/flamed out. I agree Violet wasnít the smartest move but Iím sure he could smoke weed every day and post instagram clips for years to come and still be sponsored.

hotstudios_on_youtube

• Rep: -65
  • ???
« Reply #212 on: March 09, 2024, 06:36:25 AM »
all of mystery and zero lol
im a big fan tawncowny

also how are we not talking about uma landslides not being more relevant

Bread Harrity

• Rep: 241
« Reply #213 on: March 10, 2024, 06:15:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Marisa Del Santo. Jamie messed up not turning her pro
[close]
Ran into her at the bins out here in Colorado, she sells vintage and spins records now, saw her spin once with my homie, good tunes

My band was going through Denver about a year and a half ago and we ended up playing with her band (she plays bass). We chatted for a bit and she was super chill and friendly.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #214 on: March 10, 2024, 06:44:04 PM »
Sky Siljieg

Dude was ripping bowls in the PNW and making a name for himself, one if the first of the newer generation to get really creative before it was cool.

He was a crowd favorite at the Combi bowl contests with some rad lines. Nothing that would have won, but just putting it out there that there are other ways to rip a bowl.

Sponsored by Lib Tech, which maybe held him back in some ways but apparently were able to give him a decent hook-up from the snowboard money.

Anyways, I heard a bit of his backstory, and itís a shame that he got into the drug culture and fell out of skating, right when that style of skating was starting to get noticed. And could have gotten big.

His riding really made me smile.

Iím trying to be every momís favorite skaterí-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Jim and Dan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 468
  • Twenty-six Conversions in A.D. 46
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #215 on: March 11, 2024, 04:47:39 AM »
Sky Siljieg

Dude was ripping bowls in the PNW and making a name for himself, one if the first of the newer generation to get really creative before it was cool.

He was a crowd favorite at the Combi bowl contests with some rad lines. Nothing that would have won, but just putting it out there that there are other ways to rip a bowl.

Sponsored by Lib Tech, which maybe held him back in some ways but apparently were able to give him a decent hook-up from the snowboard money.

Anyways, I heard a bit of his backstory, and itís a shame that he got into the drug culture and fell out of skating, right when that style of skating was starting to get noticed. And could have gotten big.

That's sad to hear, I was actually wondering the other day what had become of him, the guy had some serious talent.
Roll for Rusty, Frip, Dapple and Tate

"My boiz better take my body, and boardslide me down the fucking bridge, in San Francisco"

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #216 on: March 11, 2024, 05:26:56 AM »
What happened to Dan Lutheran?
thinking the same the other day, I couldn't even remember his name...."that vans dude with curly hair " "no, not the baker dude, the one in toy machine.... oh damn does he rides for them still?"

Dr Waffles

• Rep: 15
« Reply #217 on: March 11, 2024, 06:20:56 AM »
Didn't he get mildly cancelled for something a couple years ago? Some abuse allegations or something along those lines?
In 5 years skateboarding will be dirtbiking

mikevsleftlightningtat

• Rep: -4
« Reply #218 on: March 11, 2024, 07:08:37 AM »
Sky Siljieg

Wow such a good deep cut name to mention. Used to skate with him in a lot of the PNW contest circuits and always wondered what happened to him

benboardbreaker

• Rep: 50
« Reply #219 on: March 12, 2024, 12:43:17 AM »

yes he was pretty hyped a few years ago. he had a small part in that obscure board brand that Antwuan dixon rides for last year. it wasn't any good and he was filmed horrible. so he puts out stuff. it looked like the newer stuff trevor colden had put out. so not very high quality clips.

letís go home

• Rep: 35
« Reply #220 on: March 12, 2024, 03:22:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Sky Siljieg

[close]

That's sad to hear, I was actually wondering the other day what had become of him, the guy had some serious talent.
Damn shame indeed. His and Nolan Johnsonís styles were kinda similiar but Skyís was a bit surfier (or hippier?). Also those Lib Tech parts are great but I think one of them is long gone from the internet for some reason.

Shortys Hardware

• Rep: 103
« Reply #221 on: March 12, 2024, 03:51:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

yes he was pretty hyped a few years ago. he had a small part in that obscure board brand that Antwuan dixon rides for last year. it wasn't any good and he was filmed horrible. so he puts out stuff. it looked like the newer stuff trevor colden had put out. so not very high quality clips.

Thats his brother chris

Justin is dope..not sure what happened after huf...hasnt posted on on instagram in a few years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD2g5ENtz-o

Star Whores Episode I: The Fellatio Menace

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #222 on: March 12, 2024, 07:48:32 AM »

Per Jamie and Marissa herself: He offered her a pro board and she turned it down because the had more fun skating as a hobby with her friends and didn't want the pressure to skate stuff she didn't want to and to have to move to California long term.

Personally, I think she'd still be in skating if she rode for Baker, Foundation or Toy Machine with a more chill owner.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 08:02:44 AM by Star Whores Episode I: The Fellatio Menace »
if post- retirement duke nukem bagged that azz i have a chance too

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #223 on: March 12, 2024, 08:12:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Kader
[close]

Heís only 21 and has been hurt for a year and a half, what can we expect?
To be totally fried by 22
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Cheshire Cat

• Rep: 62
« Reply #224 on: March 13, 2024, 11:56:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Per Jamie and Marissa herself: He offered her a pro board and she turned it down because the had more fun skating as a hobby with her friends and didn't want the pressure to skate stuff she didn't want to and to have to move to California long term.

Personally, I think she'd still be in skating if she rode for Baker, Foundation or Toy Machine with a more chill owner.

Yeah I always kinda got the impression it wasn't just "going pro" that was off-putting to her, at the time it was more "going pro for Zero" being the issue.
Maybe I read into it too much, but it seems like she made an informed decision; she would have already had a degree of familiarity with Jamie's...management style what with being on the team and filming for one of their full-lengths.

Her Strange World part is still great and her skating has always been enjoyable to watch.

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #225 on: March 13, 2024, 12:45:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thats his brother chris

Justin is dope..not sure what happened after huf...hasnt posted on on instagram in a few years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD2g5ENtz-o

didnt he just get on DC finally too?

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. Heís like a raider on horse back whoís kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #226 on: March 13, 2024, 01:12:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah I always kinda got the impression it wasn't just "going pro" that was off-putting to her, at the time it was more "going pro for Zero" being the issue.
Maybe I read into it too much, but it seems like she made an informed decision; she would have already had a degree of familiarity with Jamie's...management style what with being on the team and filming for one of their full-lengths.

Her Strange World part is still great and her skating has always been enjoyable to watch.

There's a Jenkem interview with her a couple years ago where she says exactly that. She specifically mentions how Jamie would make her go back and film tricks if he felt they could be done better or look better from a different angle. Then she would go back and do it again to find out the clip didn't make it into the video. I think naturally, she was like "if this is what it takes to be pro, then I don't want to be pro."

I think timing also wasn't her friend either. She was basically the only prominent woman in the industry in the time period between Elissa Steamer's and Leticia Bufoni's peaks. Back then, skate companies didn't really know how to market women skateboarders, so Marissa was set to the standards of her fellow male riders.

MusclesMarinara

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
« Reply #227 on: March 13, 2024, 01:16:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

There's a Jenkem interview with her a couple years ago where she says exactly that. She specifically mentions how Jamie would make her go back and film tricks if he felt they could be done better or look better from a different angle. Then she would go back and do it again to find out the clip didn't make it into the video. I think naturally, she was like "if this is what it takes to be pro, then I don't want to be pro."

I think timing also wasn't her friend either. She was basically the only prominent woman in the industry in the time period between Elissa Steamer's and Leticia Bufoni's peaks. Back then, skate companies didn't really know how to market women skateboarders, so Marissa was set to the standards of her fellow male riders.

Of all grief JT gets, he certainly pushed and Marisa to skate to a level weíve not seen since from woman skaters. Her strange world part showed she could hang with the big dogs. If she felt she didnít want to be pushed and pressured into that style of skating I totally agree and understand. She definitely would have flourished in the skate world even further had she came through a couple years later or obviously on a more mellow team. Regardless she ripped.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Rep: 115
« Reply #228 on: March 13, 2024, 01:26:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Of all grief JT gets, he certainly pushed and Marisa to skate to a level weíve not seen since from woman skaters. Her strange world part showed she could hang with the big dogs. If she felt she didnít want to be pushed and pressured into that style of skating I totally agree and understand. She definitely would have flourished in the skate world even further had she came through a couple years later or obviously on a more mellow team. Regardless she ripped.

Jamie Thomas was James Cameron

Marisa was Sigourney Weaver

Strange World was Aliens (1986)

Or something lol I dunno

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #229 on: March 14, 2024, 08:22:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Or something lol I dunno

Dane Burman is the face hugger?

TerryFunk

• Rep: 12
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #230 on: April 03, 2024, 02:00:29 AM »
Guru Khalsa
Devine Calloway

Mallie

• Rep: 36
« Reply #231 on: April 03, 2024, 04:33:23 AM »
Truman Hooker

This name should never be forgotten.

His career/skating? Give or take. But the name? Oh lawd.
Chi vive in baracca, chi suda il salario,
Chi ruba pensioni, chi ha scarsa memoria,
Chi ha crisi interiori, chi scava nei cuori,
Chi legge la mano, chi regna sovrano,
Chi suda, chi lotta, chi mangia una volta,
Chi gli manca la casa, chi vive da solo,
Chi trova scontato, chi come ha trovato...

douchenozzle

• Rep: 31
  • "I am the party"-DLR
« Reply #232 on: April 03, 2024, 06:42:07 AM »
Mike Barker
Jonathan Ettman
Tony Tave
Sammy Winter
Quy Ngyuen
Seth Cheeks

Anyone have any info on these missing kids?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #233 on: April 03, 2024, 06:45:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Or something lol I dunno
[close]

Dane Burman is the face hugger?
Nailed it.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #234 on: April 03, 2024, 02:17:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Truman Hooker
[close]

There's a TWS interview from 10+ years ago where he says his sister's name is Allie Hooker.

Which is both a shame and a banger at the same time
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 310
« Reply #235 on: April 03, 2024, 03:12:17 PM »
Mike Barker
Jonathan Ettman
Tony Tave
Sammy Winter
Quy Ngyuen
Seth Cheeks

Anyone have any info on these missing kids?

I know Sammy Winter is on Poolroom, Aussie brand with Dennis Durrant, Bo Reid, Alex Lawton etc.
 I think he's on the Australian division of Vans and is on Carhart and Wayward wheels.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Mallie

• Rep: 36
« Reply #236 on: April 03, 2024, 03:22:48 PM »
There's a TWS interview from 10+ years ago where he says his sister's name is Allie Hooker.

Which is both a shame and a banger at the same time

Respect to their folks for doubling down. That name's too on the nose to even invite any type of mocking.
Chi vive in baracca, chi suda il salario,
Chi ruba pensioni, chi ha scarsa memoria,
Chi ha crisi interiori, chi scava nei cuori,
Chi legge la mano, chi regna sovrano,
Chi suda, chi lotta, chi mangia una volta,
Chi gli manca la casa, chi vive da solo,
Chi trova scontato, chi come ha trovato...

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 425
« Reply #237 on: April 03, 2024, 03:37:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Truman Hooker
[close]

Truman's the man. Used to film with him a ton back in the day. His sister's name is Alli Hooker. The True Man Hooker and Alley Hooker. Incredible stuff.

Irvine-Sucks.com

Dr Hass

• Rep: 3
« Reply #238 on: April 03, 2024, 04:07:23 PM »
What about Mike Wright, the U.K. one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tCgeXcxLj4

Never really knew why he didnít get on a US team. Back in the day he was all over the magazines in the U.K. and seemed to possess the trifecta of: being really good, likeable and still very young. Everyone who saw him skate irl, whether up north or around the country, was blown away.

I stepped away from skating for a bit and when I came back I expected he wouldíve blown up properly (in an international sense) but it didnít seem to happen.

Dr Hass

• Rep: 3
« Reply #239 on: April 03, 2024, 04:09:53 PM »
duplicate post
« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 01:51:38 AM by Dr Hass »