Author Topic: Out There: Riley Hawk  (Read 4027 times)

Fongstarr.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Out There: Riley Hawk
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2024, 03:57:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
As a purple belt in jiu-jitsu, I'm hyped to see him training/competing.

Didn't know much about his persona; so modest and introspective, what a rad guy!
[close]

Fellow purple belt here.

BJJ was a perfect transition when my friends all quit skating and I started skating less. Open mats often feel like skating a plaza with friends. It’s also just as addictive.

Skating has also given me quick feet and lots of balance. I’ve had judo black belts tell me I’m really hard to footsweep.

Plenty of former skaters, skiiers and snowboarders at my gym also, it makes the vibe cool.
[close]

i love anything that feels like this.  i dont think i'll take up BJJ but riding bikes with friends feels the same.  different styles and approaches, but everyone kind doing something similar and can appreciate the stuff you arent so good at.

Road bikes? Weird cause I felt road bikes with skaters were never accepted cause of how expensive the bikes are. Kind of like golf with skating. But there is a good handful of pros that do it.

Not sure if people saw but Chico is getting a pro gravel bike released this year.

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

yep yep

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2024, 03:58:17 PM »
When I was living in SD, I skated with Riley one day and as a filmer, I needed to buy a new VX1K. It somehow came up in conversation and he said he had one at his house he'd sell me for $500 when they we're going for $1-1.2k at the time. He gave me directions to his house and I paid Tony Hawk's wife at the time $500 and got the VX. He could've charged me a lot more and that discount was big for me at the time when I was making shit money. He always was just a super cool dude for the few times I got to skate with him as well. Forever legend in my book.
Wow. I like that story. Solid human for sure!

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -514
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2024, 04:57:56 PM »
Expand Quote
When I was living in SD, I skated with Riley one day and as a filmer, I needed to buy a new VX1K. It somehow came up in conversation and he said he had one at his house he'd sell me for $500 when they we're going for $1-1.2k at the time. He gave me directions to his house and I paid Tony Hawk's wife at the time $500 and got the VX. He could've charged me a lot more and that discount was big for me at the time when I was making shit money. He always was just a super cool dude for the few times I got to skate with him as well. Forever legend in my book.
[close]
Wow. I like that story. Solid human for sure!

I know someone was hating on the Tony aspect but I like the fact he’s in this to be like all I did was nurture a hobby , he made it happen for himself . Really adds to the personal story . I’ve met them both at his 3rd shoe release party and Tony made a point to almost stay away from Riley and kinda just mingle with the people . He acted like he was there on shoe sponsor obligations not the fact that it was son’s shoe release.

In the current world of nepo baby talk you can tell Tony really made a point to make him earn his place in skating but also lead by example in humble nature. Everytime I’ve met and hung out with Tony he’s just one of the dudes but also about his business . Dudes really just the homie and it’s cool to see Riley has that same ethic.

Sad he thinks he’s not relevant when I think everyone would love more footage, lakai may be irrelevant in modern times but baker is still a top brand and I think we’d all love another part or two before he truly hangs it up.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -464
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2024, 08:40:22 PM »
It’s cool how he really is good independent of his last name. I remember when he was young seeing a clip of a back smith 360 kickflip out and being mind blown - that level of talent speaks for itself.

Also I hated that park too lol, switch 180d the quarter pipe to flat in 2006  ;D

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 594
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2024, 09:39:24 PM »
I really like how self aware he is, but I do think he undervalues himself a bit. I agree that he's not a "relevant" skater at this point in his career, but I've always liked his skating and he's definitely paved his own path when he could have piled out and just been Tony's son.

backside_reacharound

• Rep: -238
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2024, 11:05:36 PM »
handsome riley hawk kind of riled up my cawk, nahimsayin?

manysnakes

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2024, 05:54:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
As a purple belt in jiu-jitsu, I'm hyped to see him training/competing.

Didn't know much about his persona; so modest and introspective, what a rad guy!
[close]

Fellow purple belt here.

BJJ was a perfect transition when my friends all quit skating and I started skating less. Open mats often feel like skating a plaza with friends. It’s also just as addictive.

Skating has also given me quick feet and lots of balance. I’ve had judo black belts tell me I’m really hard to footsweep.

Plenty of former skaters, skiiers and snowboarders at my gym also, it makes the vibe cool.
[close]

i love anything that feels like this.  i dont think i'll take up BJJ but riding bikes with friends feels the same.  different styles and approaches, but everyone kind doing something similar and can appreciate the stuff you arent so good at.
[close]

Road bikes? Weird cause I felt road bikes with skaters were never accepted cause of how expensive the bikes are. Kind of like golf with skating. But there is a good handful of pros that do it.

Since when have skaters been turned off by expensive things? FWIW my full Campy road bike cost me less than what two pairs of Big Boys would cost at retail. Fortunately there is no rule saying you have to buy a current model year carbon fiber wunderbike.

Apropos of nothing, but apparently Axel Crusher hardly skates anymore and is primarily just a roadie in and around LA. 

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1394
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2024, 06:13:14 AM »
I'd say his career also kinda got screwed over by The Flare not getting that much hype and being taken down.

His part's ender at the Milan train station was gnar, and I haven't seen that trick done since.

He does fall into an image that I've never really related to, but I definitely respect the work ethic and talent.

Crust

• Rep: 50
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2024, 07:04:07 AM »
I'd say his career also kinda got screwed over by The Flare not getting that much hype and being taken down.

His part's ender at the Milan train station was gnar, and I haven't seen that trick done since.

He does fall into an image that I've never really related to, but I definitely respect the work ethic and talent.

Would gnar.

Just saw it for the first time, sick part. That Milan trick was hectic indeed, 7:42

Loved the intro trick as well, getting up onto that pipe, roll across and ollie back in.

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1282
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2024, 08:28:56 AM »
kid i went to school with is paralyzed because sparring went wrong, not my idea of fun. id rather gamble with a pickup bball game or lay into a heavy bag or some shit

*please visit the mrsa thread in whatever*

good for him for having sponsors without having to be a relevant professional skater i guess? weird video

finecojeffe

• Rep: 142
    • Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2024, 09:30:33 AM »
kid i went to school with is paralyzed because sparring went wrong, not my idea of fun. id rather gamble with a pickup bball game or lay into a heavy bag or some shit

*please visit the mrsa thread in whatever*

good for him for having sponsors without having to be a relevant professional skater i guess? weird video

are you in Miami?

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1282
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2024, 10:04:35 AM »
nah but ill bring it down the pipe

finecojeffe

• Rep: 142
    • Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2024, 10:13:13 AM »

was just wondering because I know a guy who was paralyzed sparring here not too long ago.

Tireeedd

• Rep: 86
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2024, 05:28:21 PM »

would gnar if I could

MrDuckey

• Rep: -102
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2024, 05:35:36 PM »
Strange video. I guess when having all the money in the world from your dad, a famous wife, and being a great skater isn't enough you gotta keep reinventing yourself