Author Topic: CONS CTAS Pros vs Chuck Taylors  (Read 2834 times)

Prostate Exam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
CONS CTAS Pros vs Chuck Taylors
« on: January 26, 2022, 12:26:27 PM »
I've been skating the CTAS Pros for the past two years.
Unfortunately these things are very hard to come by, especially in a Size 13.
The original Chuck Taylors are available in almost every store but are they even comparable to the CTAS Pros?

I used to skate them and put shor goo on the side but I need a bit more padding nowadays.

Has anyone ever tried to put the CTAS insoles in regular chucks?

twic3

• Rep: 16
Re: CONS CTAS Pros vs Chuck Taylors
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2022, 12:32:24 PM »
The chuck taylor 70s are better than the normal chucks. Better insole and its removable.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2022, 12:36:13 PM »
I've been skating the CTAS Pros for the past two years.
Unfortunately these things are very hard to come by, especially in a Size 13.
The original Chuck Taylors are available in almost every store but are they even comparable to the CTAS Pros?

I used to skate them and put shor goo on the side but I need a bit more padding nowadays.

Has anyone ever tried to put the CTAS insoles in regular chucks?

I've done it. The insole is easy to peel out and the current CTAS Pro insole doesn't make them sit much higher. That being said, they are narrower, not as stable, and don't have any kind of tongue centering going on. And (at least here in the USA) the outsole is covered in felt which is slippery and takes a while to wear off.

So you can do it, but it kind of sucks.

edit: saw someone else just posted and I have heard from numerous people who have skated them that the chuck 70s are good.

Slugboi22

• Rep: 69
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2022, 01:21:20 PM »
yeah at this point for the price you might as well buy the chuck 70s. Or you could always get LRABs if you are feeling that :)

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2022, 02:25:29 PM »
yeah at this point for the price you might as well buy the chuck 70s. Or you could always get LRABs if you are feeling that :)

I've been contemplating to get sone LRABs for a long. Do they compare to Chucks? If so, which model and is the sizing similar?

Edit: I gave in and ordered a pair of LRAB 01 Highs and a pair of LRAB 02 lows. I am really hoping that these are able to replace the CTAS since its so hard to get by a pair of Converse here.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 12:09:15 AM by Prostate Exam »

Goblinoid

• Rep: 24
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2022, 02:55:15 PM »
On the subject of Chuck 70s, seems like a lot of pros are skating these lately. I'm also seeing them listed on Cons "skateboarding" section although there doesn't seem to be a skate specific version of the 70...

Has anyone skated these? I owned a pair a few years ago and felt like the rubber would be very slippery and the shoes felt oddly tall.

Love the look of them but feel like they'd destroy your feet more than the Cons CTAS already do...

Argyle

• Rep: 38
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2022, 08:12:54 AM »
I loved skating in my 70s. They felt more stable to me than a ctas pro. I would say i preferred the 70s highs to the lows but i still skate those as well.

Once you've warmed up the sole a bit the rubber is just fine.

I think the LRABs feel like cons 70s more than the pro line. It's probably the insole but to me they're a grippier 70s. Love mine

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2022, 08:58:06 AM »
sorry for the derail but
I loved skating in my 70s.
hit me like a ton of bricks until i remembered this thread is about shoes

Argyle

• Rep: 38
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2022, 09:53:30 AM »
sorry for the derail but
Expand Quote
I loved skating in my 70s.
[close]
hit me like a ton of bricks until i remembered this thread is about shoes

;D can clarify... Shoes not age

Goblinoid

• Rep: 24
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2022, 12:25:36 PM »
I loved skating in my 70s. They felt more stable to me than a ctas pro. I would say i preferred the 70s highs to the lows but i still skate those as well.

Once you've warmed up the sole a bit the rubber is just fine.

I think the LRABs feel like cons 70s more than the pro line. It's probably the insole but to me they're a grippier 70s. Love mine

Sick, yea the comparison to LRABs makes a ton of sense, thanks

Velcro Wallet

• Rep: 214
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2022, 12:43:03 PM »
I’ve only walked around in the 70’s but you can tell they would be good to skate in. BUT. Fuck Cons sizing. I go a full size down but they are still to big. I’m a true 12 and I buy 11’s cause it’s hard to find half sizes (on discount). So I get 11’s and they are still too big. Rant over.

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -134
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2022, 03:53:20 AM »
We've skated multiple pairs of chucks and I'd say for a hi top the 70's are the best. Lows I'll just go for the regular ones. CTAS on the other hand look bootleg to me. Maybe it's the padding but the shape/silhouette looks like shit.

I second the sizing problems. I currently have a pair of size 8.5us and size 10???

Main thing is to change the insole and you're good to go. I've used some old lunarlon insoles and I have some dr. scholls which are nice and not too thicc.

I just got my first pair of LRAB vm001 his and I am really pleased with them. The shape is like a perfect mix of that old vans classics (before vans got wide) and chuck taylors.

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2022, 05:51:19 AM »
I got my LRABs today because I just couldn't get any CTAS or Chuck70s here in Switzerland.
I got the Vm001 High and this is the shoe I intend to skate in. So far I've been walking around in it for a bit and I can see a lot of potential in the shoe.

The sizing is weird. Everybody went down 0.5 or even a whole size. But I ordered my actual size and they seem to fit with normal socks. With slim socks they seem a bit wide but with regular cotton socks they fit perfect and I probably would have problems in a smaller size.

The vm002 though seems a bit bigger, probably because it is a low shoe.
They both look very good and I probably will be skating the Vm001 for the next couple of weeks

jsettle

• Rep: 134
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2024, 06:05:20 AM »
Do the CTAS pro high sizing fit like the standard chuck Taylor high? I've never owned the CTAS pros but really want some now. Don't have any shops close by to try them on so I would just be ordering them online. In normal chucks I wear a half size down from my regular size and they fit well. Same for CTAS? I have read half size down or full size down on different sites.

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2024, 12:33:07 PM »
ive always gone a half size down @jsettle

jsettle

• Rep: 134
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2024, 01:04:04 PM »
ive always gone a half size down @jsettle

Thanks homie

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2024, 01:14:38 PM »
I haven’t tried full size down, but had two pairs half size down and they were way too big.  I’d say go full size down but obvs everyone is different.  I already have big feet so I don’t like much space between my toes and the end of the shoe.

YeoWhattup

• Rep: 22
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2024, 01:49:53 PM »
I haven’t tried full size down, but had two pairs half size down and they were way too big.  I’d say go full size down but obvs everyone is different.  I already have big feet so I don’t like much space between my toes and the end of the shoe.

When I get converse I always get a full size down because I also don’t like a lot of room in my shoes. Love 70s btw. Usually skate those, LRAB VM 001/003, and the CTAS Mids. I’m a different size in all of em lol

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2024, 03:57:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

When I get converse I always get a full size down because I also don’t like a lot of room in my shoes. Love 70s btw. Usually skate those, LRAB VM 001/003, and the CTAS Mids. I’m a different size in all of em lol

this is what i want to skate in.
but then my feet hurt bad.
loved 70s, went 1/2 size down.
my lrab’s are so grippy, don’t skate them tho, too thin.

YeoWhattup

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2024, 05:08:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

What are u skating in now?

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2024, 06:12:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

aesthetically, i’d much prefer the look of the shoes we’ve been discussing, or an authentic, old skool, half cab, etc.
but really the chuck looks great.

i’m really old, my feet hurt terribly, so i might leave the house in something thin, but if i want to skate for more than 30 minutes, i switch into something i don’t like the look of as much: dunks, 808s. right now the 808s are really saving my feet.
in my youth i loved the first gen of axion, pro leathers (still very sick, would if i could), and generally anything that was big and puffy.
as a middle aged man i feel wack in some levi’s that fit alright, and bright dunkies.
808s look decent with really baggy jeans, but again….at this point it’d look almost creepy.

those old punks that wear cons forever, i loved that shit. they were also skinny as fuck and i don’t have that going for me.

YeoWhattup

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2024, 06:22:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

aesthetically, i’d much prefer the look of the shoes we’ve been discussing, or an authentic, old skool, half cab, etc.
but really the chuck looks great.

i’m really old, my feet hurt terribly, so i might leave the house in something thin, but if i want to skate for more than 30 minutes, i switch into something i don’t like the look of as much: dunks, 808s. right now the 808s are really saving my feet.
in my youth i loved the first gen of axion, pro leathers (still very sick, would if i could), and generally anything that was big and puffy.
as a middle aged man i feel wack in some levi’s that fit alright, and bright dunkies.
808s look decent with really baggy jeans, but again….at this point it’d look almost creepy.

those old punks that wear cons forever, i loved that shit. they were also skinny as fuck and i don’t have that going for me.

I feel you, sometimes it’s gotta be function over fashion. 808s are a cool looking shoe for what it is, got an axion vibe to it. For an original new balance design they’re pretty dope.

I’m vegan so my options are pretty limited but I make thinner canvas models work. I don’t like the look of most skate brands vegan options so I just keep to the simpler canvas shoes and hope for the best

boardfeelforyoureyes

• Rep: 3
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2024, 09:28:18 AM »
two colors in the high and one in the mid size 13 on tactics right now. not sure where youre at but they're always pretty quick to ship within the U.S. if you can't find anything locally.

https://www.tactics.com/search/all+star+pro/converse/rs-13