Author Topic: Eugene - Lincoln - Portland  (Read 281 times)

MintySandwhich

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
Eugene - Lincoln - Portland
« on: February 08, 2024, 10:21:57 AM »
Planning a trip with the lady maybe in October to fly into Eugene, drive up through Lincoln City to Portland.

Obviously some highlights being WJ park, Lincoln park, and Burnside. Never skated up there ever, so I’m pretty excited.

Looking for some food spots, DIYs, maybe some shit to play tourist. How’s the weather around that time? Places to see, places to avoid?

Tried doing some research on here but didn’t find much.

Thanks

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 789
Re: Eugene - Lincoln - Portland
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2024, 10:34:42 AM »
Theres a few threads covering this. October can still be great, weather wise but it can turn... Halloween at Burnside often seems to be wet.. The Oregon coast is typically less windy that time of year and can be really nice weather in Oct. Lincoln City is an obvious stop and there are some super fun new and older parks nearby. Yachats, Toledo, Bay City, Pacific City. I'd recommend the Salmon River Hike or Cape Lookout hike for some classic Oregon Coast vistas. Further up the coast the parks are a little crustier and not as appealing but Astoria is a great town to visit if you live history and geography...

But from Lincoln City you can turn in land and hit McMinnville, Newberg, Donald, Sherwood, and Tigard on your way into Portland.

Portland, yes Burnside is a  mandatory stop... other DIYs include Creston, PSU courts, Feral Cat Cove and some other random little spots here and there. Depends what you like to skate? If it rains, you have Commonwealth and Stronger skateparks...

I'll let other people chime in on food... I'm a Mexican food cart fiend only.... Currently feeling the Breakfast burritos at Habanero burrito on 82nd and Holgate...

Curb spots... find a recently remodeled public school and you'll find a gang of old men standing around talking about how we don't need any more 10' deep bowls...

sharkjumper

• Rep: 40
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2024, 02:53:42 PM »
Good advice in the post above

Just a note- no one here abbreviates Lincoln City to Lincoln.

Depending on where you’re coming from, you might find it cheaper and possibly less time to fly into Portland and do your loop to Eugene, to the coast, and back.

Haven’t been to Eugene in a few years. There are fun bars because of the college, and good restaurants pop up regularly.

Plenty of good food suggestions for Portland in a couple threads here.

ToasterBiscuitz

• Rep: 3
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2024, 03:36:29 PM »
October will likely to be real wet. If you want to skate for sure I’d recommend a summer trip. Avoid the humans screaming and shitting in the streets in portland and Eugene. For real. LC is the best skatepark in the world.

MintySandwhich

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2024, 06:29:58 PM »
Astoria is a great town to visit if you live history and geography...

Newberg, Donald, Sherwood, and Tigard on your way into Portland.

Feral Cat Cove and some other random little spots here and there

I'll let other people chime in on food... I'm a Mexican food cart fiend only.... Currently feeling the Breakfast burritos at Habanero burrito on 82nd and Holgate...

Yeah we might visit Astoria cause my girlfriend has been there and said it was a cool little town.

Feral Cat looks sick, definitely gonna check that out. Is there a way to donate some money at all?

We’re from Arizona, so definitely would love some mexican food. Thanks for the recommendations

MintySandwhich

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2024, 06:34:52 PM »
Just a note- no one here abbreviates Lincoln City to Lincoln.

Haven’t been to Eugene in a few years. There are fun bars because of the college, and good restaurants pop up regularly.

Good to know about Lincoln City. Haha I think that’s the park I’m most hyped on.

What is a good area to bar hop in Eugene ?
Thanks for the tips sharkjumper

MintySandwhich

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2024, 06:38:57 PM »
October will likely to be real wet. If you want to skate for sure I’d recommend a summer trip. Avoid the humans screaming and shitting in the streets in portland and Eugene. For real. LC is the best skatepark in the world.

Yeah super stoked on Lincoln City. All of it looks so fun. We don’t have a lot of vert in Arizona except for Goodyear park. So it’ll be a treat Forsure.

Unfortunately summer probably won’t be a-go because of my work. I think we could do late summer. How’s august or September. This is definitely a skate trip that I’m dragging my lady on, so definitely trying to skate.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 789
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2024, 07:55:10 PM »
September can be a magical month on the Oregon coast. August more of a sure thing with dry warm weather in general but Sept is one of my favorite months in Oregon especially on the coast.

sharkjumper

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2024, 11:04:24 PM »
As Frank and Fred said, September is some of the best weather. Especially on the coast. Last October in Portland was a mix of nice days and rain, but you can count on the rain starting on Halloween every year. October a year and a half ago was in the 80s most of the month. So very mixed bag.

For Eugene, downtown is the place for bars and some decent food you’d expect in a college town. I remember the Horsehead being fun. And there are about 20 bars in that zone.

If you decide to fly in and out of Portland and drive that whole loop, there are some fun parks near I-5 between Portland and Eugene. Keizer, Aumsville, new park in Monmouth. Or take a scenic route to Mt Angel for beer brewed by monks, silverton skatepark, and silver falls state park for some scenery.

This website doesn’t have all the newest parks, but a good resource for some stops. http://northwestskater.com/

Recent Portland related thread if you can sort through other city recommendations. https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=127852.0

sharkjumper

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2024, 10:30:51 AM »
Adding in since you said you’re after deep bowls that pier park in Portland should be on your list. The pool at Glenhaven might scratch that itch for you too.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 212
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2024, 04:11:12 PM »
Adding in since you said you’re after deep bowls that pier park in Portland should be on your list. The pool at Glenhaven might scratch that itch for you too.

I'm still mad at myself for not going to either of those parks when i've gone to PDX

just want to say Feral Cat is one of my favorite DIYs.
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 212
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2024, 04:14:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm still mad at myself for not going to either of those parks when i've gone to PDX... fuckin West Linn too...

just want to say Feral Cat is one of my favorite DIYs.

Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here