Author Topic: Do you leave your board behind when you travel with your partner?  (Read 859 times)

sexualhelon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
Or do you always take it with you? 

Fernzilla

• Rep: 17
Re: Do you leave your board behind when you travel with your partner?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2024, 09:20:21 AM »
I once saw a couple slow pushing their luggage on their boards at the airport and I was super jealous. 

I've always left my board but looking back I "could've" taken it and probably should've if I'm reminiscing about it.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 783
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2024, 12:18:09 PM »
My wife and I are about to go on a 10 day road trip. I have two surfboards and a skateboard loaded up. "Just in case."

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2024, 03:15:33 PM »
NO BOARD LEFT BEHIND! You know yer gonna regret it!

fuckin LIME scooters are a game changer for when you want to go for a scratch but your companion isn't a skateboarder, especially in a place with some hills, believe you me: these things are good at towing carcass up a hill.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 162
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2024, 08:14:41 PM »
I always bring my board. I try to sneak in morning sessions when she’s still sleeping. If she’s with me, I get about 20 minutes before she starts complaining, but on the plus side she’ll usually film some clips for me

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 165
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2024, 09:16:05 PM »
It's my understanding that it is totally chill to bring your board as long as you vlog about it

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2024, 10:23:22 PM »
I always bring my board. I try to sneak in morning sessions when she’s still sleeping. If she’s with me, I get about 20 minutes before she starts complaining, but on the plus side she’ll usually film some clips for me

Yup, same scenario as back home.

I leave my board at home, but pick up a fresh one from the local shop to support the local scene. I pack my trucks, wheels, bearings and hardware along, not dealing with fresh bushings in a new country.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2024, 12:54:32 AM »
No but sometimes I leave my partner behind when I travel with my bloard.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 218
  • sup dog
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2024, 03:10:38 PM »
Story time:

Back in 2004 i went on a five day trip to NYC with my girlfriend at the time. I was really into her and didn’t bring my board so i wouldn’t be tempted to skate and ignore her.

While on the trip she asked me why i didn’t bring my skateboard, and i will die regretting i did not skate the banks and other NYC spots we came across during our explorations, when i was young and energetic.  (Even if i skated it now, it would not be the fucking same.).

So, last month, going to SF for five days, almost did the exact same thing of not bringing my board so i wouldn’t ignore my wife.

But this time, to hell with that. I brought it and am so glad i did: skated that UN plaza and in the middle of the streets of SF (no bombing hills because fuck that, y’all psycho, haha. Mad respect)  i couldn’t do much, and got tired really quickly… but i won’t be living with regret now that i did some skate tourism. (Looked at Pier 7, and was happy to see it, i didn’t have a chance to see Third and Army, but that’s okay… no time for everything)

So, yes, always bring your board and don’t live with regret. The worst that happens is that you just don’t use it. Better to have it though.
Another brand new account coming in on some absolute fuck shit

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2024, 10:16:41 PM »
Story time:

Back in 2004 i went on a five day trip to NYC with my girlfriend at the time. I was really into her and didn’t bring my board so i wouldn’t be tempted to skate and ignore her.

While on the trip she asked me why i didn’t bring my skateboard, and i will die regretting i did not skate the banks and other NYC spots we came across during our explorations, when i was young and energetic.  (Even if i skated it now, it would not be the fucking same.).

So, last month, going to SF for five days, almost did the exact same thing of not bringing my board so i wouldn’t ignore my wife.

But this time, to hell with that. I brought it and am so glad i did: skated that UN plaza and in the middle of the streets of SF (no bombing hills because fuck that, y’all psycho, haha. Mad respect)  i couldn’t do much, and got tired really quickly… but i won’t be living with regret now that i did some skate tourism. (Looked at Pier 7, and was happy to see it, i didn’t have a chance to see Third and Army, but that’s okay… no time for everything)

So, yes, always bring your board and don’t live with regret. The worst that happens is that you just don’t use it. Better to have it though.

I'd leave my partner to do their own thing while doing my own skate tourism, spots can be in rough neighbourhoods and unpleasantness for non-skaters.

Me: "This is THE legendary 3rd and Army, those Busenitz lines!!! The curved ledge!! WOW!!!!"

Her: "Why did you bring me to a homeless encampment?"
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Sangriawaterfall

• Rep: 32
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2024, 11:57:20 AM »
Last two times I flew with my fiancé I left my board behind and regretted it. I could’ve skated those grey ledges in New Orleans that got demolished.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 218
  • sup dog
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2024, 05:15:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Story time:

[close]

I'd leave my partner to do their own thing while doing my own skate tourism, spots can be in rough neighbourhoods and unpleasantness for non-skaters.

Me: "This is THE legendary 3rd and Army, those Busenitz lines!!! The curved ledge!! WOW!!!!"

Her: "Why did you bring me to a homeless encampment?"
;D facts. Lol

I saw a post in the SF thread talking about how there was a psycho killer dog at one end of third and army and thought “mmmm, yeah, maybe I’ll skip the rabies this trip. Thank you”
Another brand new account coming in on some absolute fuck shit

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 501
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2024, 05:24:11 AM »
If you do, she or he is not your partner

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2024, 07:45:33 AM »
Depends.
Sometimes I want a vacation from everything including skateboarding.
Probably best scenario is to take your trucks and wheels with you and if you feel like setup a board wherever you are.
Going to Málaga in a couple months and I don't feel like taking my board with me + I couldn't find a skateshop in there that doesn't sell scooters.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2024, 11:38:22 PM by moonordie »
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2024, 08:16:18 AM »
Depends.
Sometimes I want a vacation from everything including skateboarding.
Probably best scenario is to take your trucks and wheels with you and if you feel like setup a board wherever you are.
Going to Málaga in a couple months and I don't feel like taking my board with me + I could t

Always pack your trucks, I can live with other deck shapes and sub-par wheels, but I'm not riding brand new truck in a size / config I've never skated before
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

ratking

• Rep: 5
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2024, 10:24:05 AM »
No. No, man. Shit, no, man.

adumb

• Rep: -5
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2024, 05:24:21 PM »
Depends on the trip duration, purpose, and destination.

Back to the midwest for a short trip for grandmas bday, I aint skating flat in the driveway.

4 or more days of an actual vacation, Im def bringing trucks and it depends on how beat my deck is. I always love to support the local shops. if Im travelling with a freshie, Ill always grab a shop shirt and some other little trinkets

ggrimmedd

• Rep: 23
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2024, 06:31:33 AM »
My partner rides too, kinda hesh to be honest so we always travel with our boards, one deck more each and a survival kit with bearings and shit.

Depending on the trip we don't skate much, but some are only skate related.
:p

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 680
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2024, 08:40:13 AM »
i will always try to bring it if there is going to be a chance to skate
when i went to iceland i couldnt bring it because they wanted an insane amount to check it
i had to just use someone else's board  ;D still got a clip

231st Street

• Rep: -200
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2024, 04:58:22 AM »
Yes I bring unless 0 chance of skating due to where we are going or whatever.  Your doing this wrong if you haven't told your partner your skating is part of your workout routine needed to rehab your ankle/back due to prior injuries that are unrelated (car accidents, etc.).  Keeps the core strength up and the weight down.  Then you subtly plan the entire vacation to allow for a spot visit at 5 am before the partner wakes up or similar.

helta

• Rep: 1
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2024, 05:25:24 AM »
Depends on the trip. The past few trips I haven't brought it, though that's because if we're traveling somewhere we likely have an itinerary of doing stuff every day and we're both up early. Though last time I went to Miami I brought my trucks/wheels and bought a shop deck and skated that park under the bridge, that place is incredible.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2024, 06:49:12 AM »
I might bring my board if there's a specific place I want to skate, or I have a friend in the area who skates.
I don't bring it "just in case" though. If skating isn't on the itinerary the board stays home.

If I am going to skate on vacation I like to give my girlfriend some time to plan out what she's going to do while I'm out.
If we're someplace where she doesn't have many options for things to do while I'm away, I might just skip it anyways.
I don't wanna leave her sitting around bored on vacation, and I prefer to not be the guy who brings his girlfriend to the session.

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2024, 09:47:41 AM »
The carry on situation is so fucked now, my last flight was the first time I flew in like 3 years and I wanted to bring board but also didn’t wanna deal with annoying ass flight crew. I regretted it cuz fuck them i need my board

231st Street

• Rep: -200
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2024, 11:59:47 AM »
If you have a skate backpack and strap your board to it (fully assembled) its totally fine as a carry on.  I've done it many, many times on different airlines and never had an issue.  Yes, it is heavy and you have to be careful not to hit anyone on it and be on the plane early enough to get an overhead spot.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2024, 08:20:18 AM »
I had an issue taking a board last time I traveled. I travel carry on only 99% of the time - as I did this time - but they wouldn't let me check in online and said I had to go to the check in counter for a passport check. Which, in my experience, if they're going to shaft you and try to make you pay for something it's always at the check in counter. Gate agents usually don't care.

I also normally have a backpack and take my board apart - put the wheels/trucks in my backpack and strap the deck to the side of my backpack. This time I had a suitcase and my board wasn't taken apart - just sitting on top of it. They told me skateboards weren't allowed to take on planes and made me pay for it. Felt like an idiot in retrospect because I should have just thrown the deck out - checked baggage fee is almost always more than a new deck.

Point being, I've never had an issue taking my board when I put the trucks/wheels in my backpack and strap the deck onto the side of my backpack when I don't have to go to the check in counter. Also, because I know it's a possibility, I usually try to always take a used deck and am prepared to toss it if I need to.

And to answer my own question, I take my board 99% of the time unless it's a 0% chance of being able to skate trip. Carrying around skate stuff can be a pain the ass but I always regret it if I don't take it. I actually didn't take it on my last trip since it was for my girlfriends birthday trip. But I ended up getting food poisoning/explosive diarrhea the entire trip and never got to leave the apartment anyway so the whole trip was a bust anyway.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2024, 10:22:07 PM »
For the most part yes, I leave it behind.  I never get any grief at home for skating and so when I’m on holidays it’s about us….if I really wanted to go on a skate trip she’d be fine with it.  There’s a point too where if I get hurt or skating is a distraction it would mess with the whole trip.  I’ve brought my board and enjoyed it but usually it’s a lot of work for a two hour session….too much of a pain to lug my board around…..