Author Topic: Why isn’t hoursisyours more supported?  (Read 1768 times)

Lightskinhardhitta

Why isn’t hoursisyours more supported?
« on: February 29, 2024, 02:20:32 AM »
In terms of truly skater owned footwear it’s Last resort and hours, and I feel like they don’t get the love and support  they deserve.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 999
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: Why isn’t hoursisyours more supported?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2024, 02:50:21 AM »
My guess is design?

Didn’t they lead with loafers? Might have put people off.

moonordie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 33
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2024, 03:08:46 AM »
My guess is a lack of a cupsole model regarding Hours. Also the fact that they're plenty of other proven options on that price range, people don't want to risk.
Regarding LRAB in my case is because sole last nothing.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2024, 04:54:25 AM »
Had a couple pairs of those C71's and the soles went bald so fast. Paid full price for the first pair and got the second pair on sale. Weren't even worth the sale price, honestly.

Pasta Monster

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2024, 05:29:51 AM »
They have Bryan Herman, John Dilo, Kevin Braun and someone else [Gage Boyle?]. The company and riders don’t get much exposure. It also doesn’t help that most of their shoes end up on clearance, which turns some people off. The branding isn’t great either. Herman should have gone for a simpler name. Ed Templeton, in some interview, talked about how he regretted not using one word or a shorter name.

I got a pair of loafers from a sale a couple years ago. The heel tab ripped off while I was putting them on for the first time. I had no interest in getting a pair to skate after that.

Shiro417gunpla

• Rep: 13
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2024, 05:51:25 AM »
HAMMERS USA count?
corduroy emerica ridgemonts

Rick Trapasso

• Rep: 8
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2024, 07:56:20 AM »
Their initial launch was a little confusing.

I remember Herman saying something about not all of the shoes really being skate shoes, but you could skate in them if you wanted.

Skateboarding didn't seem like the focus of the company until just recently with their more traditional looking skate shoes and that edit they dropped.

Everything before now just made them seem like a vague lifestyle brand or something.

el chino

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -376
  • ants suck!
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2024, 08:10:20 AM »
Cause they made it clear that its actually theirs, not ours
<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/8ph4y/embed"></iframe>

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2024, 08:11:15 AM »
consider Nike, Vans, NB#, Adidas, have anywhere from 20-50 pros per team, and also a massive army of flow riders, probably hundreds deep, worldwide. They have just about every top pro accounted for within those 4 companies. The level of budget is not even in the same universe, I can't really begin to comprehend what kind of numbers we are comparing. I imagine HRS probably can barely afford to pay a filmer and photographer.

It's just a different game now. Most consumers are not concerned with skater owned at the end of the day because its not impacting their purchasing decisions. There were many years where Nike tried to get into the game and the consumers did not buy the product and they pulled out. They always knew there was a big market there its not like all of a sudden they just put more money into it and it luckily worked that time. the mindset of the consumers must have changed enough for them to not care about it anymore.

It has been suggested by roger from 9club that ~2010, soletech, DC, ipath, Lakai put out too many crappy shoes, and Nike, Adidas, Cons started putting out really really good shoes. Also I believe they stopped trying to do such hard tech this time and focused more on just making skate versions of shoes we were already skating. got the right people involved. so probably few things needed to happen before this was going to work but basically it was inevitable in the long run.

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Rep: 115
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2024, 08:15:49 AM »
They don’t actually add hours to my life like their name implies. Those hours were never mine, and I feel cheated. Imagine being reminded of this every time you put on these shoes, while a little Brian Herman sits on your shoulder, laughing at you. Terrifying.

Puddy Smally

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 165
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2024, 08:29:30 AM »
I feel like if you don’t make an impact out of the gate, then you’re already at a disadvantage.

Not having a focused identity as Rick Trapasso alluded is also detrimental to the brand. If the consumer is confused over the purpose of the product, they’re just going to pass in favor of something more specifically marketed to the respective demographic.

Also, there’s a very limited consumer base for loafers semi targeted towards skateboarders. They don’t offer a whole lot of what skate shoes are purposed for, and appeal to only the older crowd of style conscious skateboarders.

Even then, I buy my loafers from proper European makers/brands.

So it’s a combination of a lot of things. As well as the name being downright terrible, and difficult to market.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2024, 06:26:09 PM by Puddy Smally »
Do you get deja vu, huh?

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2024, 08:38:40 AM »
oh yeah that name is not doing them any favours thats for sure

YMCMB

• Rep: 50
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2024, 08:40:36 AM »
I feel like if you don’t make an impact out of the gate, then you’re already at a disadvantage.

Not having a focused identity as Rick Trapasso alluded is also detrimental to the brand. If the consumer is confused over the purpose of the product, they’re just going to pass in favor of something more specifically marketed to the respective demographic.

Also, there’s a very limited consumer base for loafers semi targeted towards skateboarders. They don’t offer a whole lot of what skate shoes are purposed for, and appeal to only the older crowd of style conscious skateboarders.

So it’s a combination of a lot of a lot of things. As well as the name being downright terrible, and difficult to market.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 212
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2024, 09:06:37 AM »
I had the same thought process, and all the discourse between core and corporate made me want to support a skater that had an effect on me and my skating.

I've wrote this before but I grabbed a couple pairs of the Code (on clearance) and I really like one of the pairs I got. The other doesn't have tongue centering straps which always seems like a weird choice for a shoe with a sizeable tongue.

I like the materials and construction, albeit rather simple, but I'm not one to look for high-tech, top-of-the-line shoes to skate in, either.

Imo, they're good for a 50$ clearance grab, but so is almost every other skate shoe. I don't think they're significantly different than lakai, sole tech, or LRAB. The corps make the best shit, it's kinda is just a fact of life these days.

Hours is literally just another shoe brand. Even with Bryan Herman's name, it's not gonna be enough to make a major impact.
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Get bent
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2024, 09:16:10 AM »
Jon dilo got a mid tip cupsole coming from them soonish I hope, recent pics he’s posted they looked pretty good, one piece toe, simple design, maybe they will figure out the lane they want and stick to it, I like the team and I think they have a good simple art direction that would prolly sell to a niche market of skaters and or people that are skate adjacent
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

Rick Trapasso

« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2024, 10:08:03 AM »
Expand Quote

So it’s a combination of a lot of a lot of things. As well as the name being downright terrible, and difficult to market.
[close]

Nah, I'm his twin cousin Rick (Nick calls me "Ricky")

You can tell us apart by my mustache.

I took that picture for him at Tampa one year and it's had everyone confused ever since.

Can he read

« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2024, 10:22:02 AM »
I’ve thought the same thing. Yet when it comes time to buy shoes I’ve never seriously considered them. Idk why, the brand feels like it’s still in beta. They don’t really have an image. It’s like lakai but without the history.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1293
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2024, 10:31:39 AM »
I don't know what physical condition Herman is in, but I think one last "all out" part at whatever level he's at right now can move some units. One look at their ig and it's a bunch of staygold era throw back clips of him. "Remember when how sick he was skating in his prime in emericas? Buy our shoes!" is not going to work. Gcodes but vulc is not going to work. I get he's old but a majority of the consumers in skating thats not nostalgia infected is interested in whats going on now.

Maybe Herman is chilling on his investment returns and Hours is just a pet project but that will be the downfall. Baker would not be as inspiring to people if all they shared were old Reynolds clips.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2024, 10:43:28 AM »
The aesthetic and product shots they share have been pretty solid. I see the image they (Bryan and Dennis) are going for with the brand, but the name is a shot in their own foot. Easily what's held them back the most. What the fuck even is " Hours is Yours?" What pun or motif are they even attempting with that? It's never stuck with me.

I look at the clean, monochromatic, tonal hues they use in their photo shoots and it feels premium, or rather, that's what they're aiming for. The designs have been largely simple, so that's in their favor. I do acknowledge not everyone likes that simple, clean, airy style of presentation, but if they leaned into it, they'd attract a larger audience.

Herman having a history on Emerica with beloved shoe models from them and a position to marry that with new designs should have been an instant hit. Blending older skaters with the younger kids seems like where they should have doubled down on, but they haven't (yet).

The quality of the shoes look good enough, but I have never tried one personally, so no comment there. Same with LRAB. They look nice enough, but quality was/is a weak point, so at least they leaned into standout designs to attract people if they weren't using big corpo quality materials.

HIY (not HRS - that's Ellingtons passion project Herman was formerly (?) involved in) seems to be in that limbo still trying to sign skaters and find the direction via team curation.

Thats my long winded take on the brand. Zumiez has some Codes for $30 if anyone wanted to chance them to see what the fuss is about with dropping $50+. Then again, they're vulc.  I'm waiting for Dilo's cup pro model to give them a shot
Super Champion Fun Zone

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2024, 10:53:59 AM »
They are super comfortable and skate great and they don't have a giant N or swoosh on them.  They also look good when you look down at your feet. No wavy lace line clown shoes, no over-the-top tech materials.

Its a grass roots effort my friends don't be afraid.

Rick Trapasso

« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2024, 12:45:45 PM »
They are super comfortable and skate great and they don't have a giant N or swoosh on them.  They also look good when you look down at your feet. No wavy lace line clown shoes, no over-the-top tech materials.

Its a grass roots effort my friends don't be afraid.

Agree

I should have mentioned at the end of my initial post that despite the questionable launch, I am really rooting for them.

It's just that I'm def not cool enough to pull off loafers lol

Those all black suede ones look pretty rad though. 

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -298
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2024, 12:55:51 PM »
It's about as exciting as State Footwear was and the name is really bad. Dilo has no industry cache, hence why he's on this brand in the first place. Launching with a loafer and then pivoting to skate shoes was a confusing business strategy. It feels like a wannabe lifestyle brand that happens to pay a couple skaters, not a skate company.

Starting a shoe company as a retired pro is certainly one way to blow your savings. Hopefully those dudes are getting paid for now, but I don't see it getting anywhere close to LRAB in terms of skater-owned shoe popularity.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 220
  • sup dog
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2024, 05:17:48 PM »
consider Nike, Vans, NB#, Adidas, have anywhere from 20-50 pros per team, and also a massive army of flow riders, probably hundreds deep, worldwide. They have just about every top pro accounted for within those 4 companies. The level of budget is not even in the same universe, I can't really begin to comprehend what kind of numbers we are comparing. I imagine HRS probably can barely afford to pay a filmer and photographer.

It's just a different game now. Most consumers are not concerned with skater owned at the end of the day because its not impacting their purchasing decisions. There were many years where Nike tried to get into the game and the consumers did not buy the product and they pulled out. They always knew there was a big market there its not like all of a sudden they just put more money into it and it luckily worked that time. the mindset of the consumers must have changed enough for them to not care about it anymore.

It has been suggested by roger from 9club that ~2010, soletech, DC, ipath, Lakai put out too many crappy shoes, and Nike, Adidas, Cons started putting out really really good shoes. Also I believe they stopped trying to do such hard tech this time and focused more on just making skate versions of shoes we were already skating. got the right people involved. so probably few things needed to happen before this was going to work but basically it was inevitable in the long run.
I was not skate aware in 2010 of trends or videos. But looking back at the videos Nike put out there was something very attractive about the editing, sound, and video quality. Seeing the best tricks done in a good looking shoe (dunks) was just very refreshing.

It made sense to me Nike caught on in the 10’s.

It’s also this same video quality and ad quality of NB that makes clear to me why NB is doing a solid job in the market.

Hiring the right people, indeed. Not some hard-headed Old Guard not listening to shit. (As per @SlapTM )
Another brand new account coming in on some absolute fuck shit

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2024, 05:55:39 PM »
These are the only ones I like enough to wear…

… and there’s no goddamn way in hell am I paying over $200cad for them.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 966
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2024, 10:24:25 PM »
that front shuv crooks nollie fs flip at 2:32 was boss af. i didnt notice that 1st time around.

i would suggest this. im not feeling the music. idk what kids like out west rn. here metalcore and crowd killing is king. its why im off playing any kind of tough guy stuff. im doing a new spin on rock and roll based hardcore. to me this vidie sound like a vans video. im waiting for somone to come out in a tennis fit like that kid in propeller. that made me ff that vans video. you know cuz it looked like a mentos video.
this john dilo video only sounds like and the shoes look vans. now what the gotta do it what vans wont or cant. be dirty and working class
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 33
  • &#633;&#477;&#652;&#477;&#633;o&#607; llo&#7450;
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2024, 11:42:08 PM »
These are the only ones I like enough to wear…

… and there’s no goddamn way in hell am I paying over $200cad for them.
Is the baby from Bruins and 44 highs :O
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2024, 02:50:30 AM »
Because they have literally zero distribution channels?

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2024, 03:25:31 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I was not skate aware in 2010 of trends or videos. But looking back at the videos Nike put out there was something very attractive about the editing, sound, and video quality. Seeing the best tricks done in a good looking shoe (dunks) was just very refreshing.

It made sense to me Nike caught on in the 10’s.

It’s also this same video quality and ad quality of NB that makes clear to me why NB is doing a solid job in the market.

Hiring the right people, indeed. Not some hard-headed Old Guard not listening to shit. (As per @SlapTM )
Dunks were kinda goneski by 2010s (unless it was Lewis Marnell) it's really a bit earlier when all the companies had to switch to vulcs that shit really got flipped on them. Suddenly it didn't matter how far ahead Osiris, lakai, emerica, circa etc were tech wise because people didn't want that anymore and they legit were all making the worst shoes. Even vox and dekline had better quality stuff for way cheaper.

mstuntbless

• Rep: 12
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2024, 10:14:34 AM »

I agree with this. Would I rather buy something soletech or sport some LRAB? Absolutely I would. But buying something in the same price range from one of the big 4 will get you a quality product that is reliable and will last.

grassblade

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2024, 10:19:50 AM »
because this company is pointless and uninspired
and the name is terrible