Author Topic: NYTimes: In Brooklyn a Fight Over Paving Over Parkland for Skateboarding  (Read 4750 times)

Maurice46

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 10
New York City is enormous. I've lived here nearly 30 years and there are loads of places in it I've yet to explore. This is all to say that the impact of this park on the cityscape is miniscule and will actually add lots of greenspace. The only reason the opposition to it exists is that they are pissed that the beaten down grassless neglected area of the park that they've taken upon themselves to use as an unsanctioned off leash dog park (totally illegal middle class shit by the way) will be partially used for this skatepark. Every superficial concern that they've raised has been addressed in the initial plan and they still won't take yes for an answer. At this point it simply comes down to the opponents just being obstinate.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1326
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
New York City is enormous. I've lived here nearly 30 years and there are loads of places in it I've yet to explore. This is all to say that the impact of this park on the cityscape is miniscule and will actually add lots of greenspace. The only reason the opposition to it exists is that they are pissed that the beaten down grassless neglected area of the park that they've taken upon themselves to use as an unsanctioned off leash dog park (totally illegal middle class shit by the way) will be partially used for this skatepark. Every superficial concern that they've raised has been addressed in the initial plan and they still won't take yes for an answer. At this point it simply comes down to the opponents just being obstinate.
Thanks for that. It's pretty telling when you've read more than one article and still can't figure out why the City's considerations and solutions still aren't good enough.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

MareVitals

• Rep: -39
This is it. Apparently there were handful of "protestors" at the Tony and Rodney talk last night. Shit is embarrassing.

Sicebox

• Rep: -7
Expand Quote
Being from the other side of the country in semi-rural PNW, I see both sides of the argument and I don't have much input on the best use of the space BUT

If I lived in NYC I don't think a new giant skatepark would be on my Christmas list. I may be romanticizing skating in that city but I'm sure it's more interesting and fun to skate than the city closest to me (not talking about Seattle or PDX)
[close]
Yeah I get it. I work in land conservation in a rural area but the little cities we have have plenty of space for a skatepark. Never been to the east coast but I'd imagine a skate park wouldn't be as big of a joy to have in a big city.

I think it's more about ease of access to a skatepark. If you live in that area you'd have to travel at least an hour to get to the closest skatepark so it serves the community of that area.

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
  • Free Max B
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
I can’t imagine anybody left actually from (like grew up there) that area gives a single fuck about a skatepark getting built or not. You gotta be a really rich person to move in over there at this point. Moving to brookyn to become a NIMBY is Fuckin crazy, you want grass move literally anywhere besides NY. there are so many places that aren’t NYC. But everyone there wants it to be their little slice of ohio Wisconsin Michigan etc. just go back there.

Free max b
FREE MAX B

bluntfullofmid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1
I can’t imagine anybody left actually from (like grew up there) that area gives a single fuck about a skatepark getting built or not. You gotta be a really rich person to move in over there at this point. Moving to brookyn to become a NIMBY is Fuckin crazy, you want grass move literally anywhere besides NY. there are so many places that aren’t NYC. But everyone there wants it to be their little slice of ohio Wisconsin Michigan etc. just go back there.

Free max b

this
"yall act like abusin' women is so bad."
- Crailtap

Sanka Coffie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 258
  • The best push-cart driver in all of Jamaica
Unfortunately this fits into the longtime effort to parkify NYC skating. You talk to kids in the metro area today about trips they've taken into the city and 9/10 of them will tell you it was to skate some park all day.

This 1000%

It's always been astounding to me that with living in this big of a city with endless things to skate people will choose to go to a fucking skatepark all day

Maurice46

• Rep: 10
Expand Quote
Unfortunately this fits into the longtime effort to parkify NYC skating. You talk to kids in the metro area today about trips they've taken into the city and 9/10 of them will tell you it was to skate some park all day.
[close]

This 1000%

It's always been astounding to me that with living in this big of a city with endless things to skate people will choose to go to a fucking skatepark all day

It doesn't seem so astounding to me that folks would want variety. Here in New York City, it's rare to find someone spending the entire day at a skatepark. A skatepark is simply another option for a session, like backyard miniramps, DIY, local curbs, a friend's flatbar, or street spots. Most skaters I know prefer having a variety of options rather than being limited to spots where they are likely to be asked to leave, having to travel long distances (possibly then being asked to leave) or having only one option. If you're not a fan of skateparks, you don't have to visit them. Their presence in the city doesn't negatively impact the variety of sessions available. The choice to skate endless streetspots is always there.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 08:10:57 PM by Maurice46 »