Author Topic: Losing interest in skateboarding/feeling left out  (Read 1767 times)

Indyrider600

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -7
Losing interest in skateboarding/feeling left out
« on: March 07, 2024, 03:18:47 PM »
Been skating for a long time. Recently have been struggling finding the motivation to skate, feeling like it’s a very cliquey environment now and don’t have many friends to skate with anymore. It’s been my only passion and hobby for so long. My life still revolves around it, but I’m becoming very depressed with losing the motivation. I want to get back to where I was, any tips? Been steadily declining for the past two years.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
Re: Losing interest in skateboarding/feeling left out
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2024, 08:29:20 PM »
Some of my best friends are through skateboarding and a whole lot of the shittest humans I know are also through skateboarding.

Try to enjoy skating by yourself - I love it. It can definitely take time to get used to if skating with a crew has been your thing.

Are you saying your ability is declining or the motivation is declining? Try really hard to listen to yourself - do you want to ride a skateboard and have fun? Go and bomb a hill by yourself. Or do you want to hang out with people? The two are not intrinsically bound.
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2024, 09:14:50 PM »
Take a break! It's ok to not skate for a while. The inspiration will return, I promise.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1064
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2024, 10:33:55 PM »
Take a break! It's ok to not skate for a while. The inspiration will return, I promise.

This advice only works until a certain age. I think you gotta force yourself to roll around even if you don’t feel like it because time on the board is the only way to stay engaged. I say smoke a bowl and go cruise and stop caring about the scene or progression.

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2024, 12:12:59 AM »
Do some diy'ing/ spotfixing, skating can be more than hanging out at the same spot with the same dudes doing the same tricks if thats not cutting it anymore..

Or get a little video project going or something

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 212
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2024, 12:28:37 AM »
Do some diy'ing/ spotfixing, skating can be more than hanging out at the same spot with the same dudes doing the same tricks if thats not cutting it anymore..

I want 2024 to be my DIY year, anytime it's mentioned I get some butterflies with ideas on what to build.

Indy600 - do you have anything like this? a DIY to put a new spot in? Or maybe another street you haven't explored (skated)? Hunting for new terrain has been my personal catharsis, but seeing a DIY spot that could use some fresh love is what keeps me coming back and wanting to engage with the scene. Like its past midnight rn, but I'm thinking about cleaning up my 'local' just from this thread

Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

Indyrider600

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2024, 07:11:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This advice only works until a certain age. I think you gotta force yourself to roll around even if you don’t feel like it because time on the board is the only way to stay engaged. I say smoke a bowl and go cruise and stop caring about the scene or progression.

Unfortunately I had to give up smoking pretty recently due to a better job opportunity. But I agree, it used to be easier to get out of this funk when I was younger. I’m definitely not where I was 2-3 years ago skill wise, but I would really like to get back there. I will take all of this advice and put it to use, thanks everybody

Indyrider600

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2024, 07:13:38 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I want 2024 to be my DIY year, anytime it's mentioned I get some butterflies with ideas on what to build.

Indy600 - do you have anything like this? a DIY to put a new spot in? Or maybe another street you haven't explored (skated)? Hunting for new terrain has been my personal catharsis, but seeing a DIY spot that could use some fresh love is what keeps me coming back and wanting to engage with the scene. Like its past midnight rn, but I'm thinking about cleaning up my 'local' just from this thread

We got some DIY stuff here but it’s honestly pretty gate-keepy. People won’t want to listen to your ideas. We got DIY’ers who know what they are doing, but they want to do it their way(bunch of transition.)

231st Street

• Rep: -200
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2024, 07:23:13 AM »
Get a bigger board and try to learn bonelesses and slappys.  I actually still haven't figured out bonelesses as I never did them growing up.  Quit caring about flip tricks if they are hurting your ankles.  Bomb hills.  Skate alone and run into new people.  Cruise the streets.  Put whatever shit you want in the DIY.  They dont own that shit-its a DIY- who cares if they try to "gatekeep"-- you are an old shredder now!  In one of the DIYs I frequent, we put in a Keen ramp slappy pad/grind ledge I paid for and built.  Many people told me not to be because "it would get stolen" or the simply didn't want easy obstacles.  It is still there and everyone loves to skate it in real life. 
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 07:45:51 AM by SpuytenDuvyilEphemera »

baustin

• Rep: 117
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2024, 09:03:13 AM »
I often go through seasons of life with my main hobbies and interests (skating, biking, playing music) that involve weeks or months away from them and eventually returning with renewed interest. I really noticed this more as I got into my late 20s/early 30s. With skating, if I feel like I need a boost or need to force myself to get out there I’ll go solo or with one friend if they’re available and just cruise around a downtown or other dense area. I may or may not get inspired to pop a trick or skate an actual spot but at least I spent some time outside interacting with the world. If even the thought of riding your skateboard around is unappealing, explore some other hobbies for a while. Skateboarding with always be there if and when you wanna come back and it’s perfectly fine and normal to take a break.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 218
  • sup dog
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2024, 02:47:51 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Bluh-dow!

Get on it.

https://www.dlxsf.com/thegrantsfund/
Another brand new account coming in on some absolute fuck shit

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 212
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2024, 04:04:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Bluh-dow!

Get on it.

https://www.dlxsf.com/thegrantsfund/

What?! That's super rad!
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 165
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2024, 09:32:52 PM »
Get a blood test, it could be hormonal. Worked for me

But take a break, buy a size or shape you would never, meet people, 10% of your community is just like you. Volunteer

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2024, 09:51:17 PM »
Get a blood test, it could be hormonal. Worked for me

But take a break, buy a size or shape you would never, meet people, 10% of your community is just like you. Volunteer

Are you talking about b12 shots? I did that for a bit but it was expensive ($40 a pop if I recall). Anyone take B12 pills?

Eh

• Rep: 4
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2024, 12:57:42 AM »
Put whatever shit you want in the DIY.  They dont own that shit-its a DIY- who cares if they try to "gatekeep"-- you are an old shredder now!

Don’t do this.

Sometimes features are planned for unused spaces: at the very least checkin with the people building before adding something.

Do find new spaces and places where you are to skate: being alone can be fun.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 717
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2024, 03:54:44 AM »

Fully back these ideas. Also, get up early, pack a lunch, and give yourself a day trip. Go skate a park 90 mins away from home. Treat yourself, king. The world is too big and full of parks that suck for you to be miserable at the same parks every day. Go find new parks to be miserable at. Go find new locals to roll your eyes at.

But seriously. Get out of your routine.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

thailand

• Rep: -33
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2024, 08:45:49 AM »
Just quit and move on with your life, its not a big deal

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 783
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2024, 10:23:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

As someone in their late 40s, I disagree. Never ever force skateboarding. Only do it when you really want to. If its not fun, why bother? Its not like training for a marathon but it is easy to fuck yourself up by not being in the right mindset.

But to answer the original question, I'd say what others have already said, mix things up with terrain and equipment. Have a no ollie month and see what happens. Bomb some hills. Have a soft wheel day and see where it leads you. Find a pump track.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1483
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2024, 11:18:27 AM »
Definitely don’t force it. One of the best things I read from an interview with Natas way back when.

If you’re not on it, you’re going to hurt yourself just going through the motions and resent it. Skateboarding is supposed to be fun. Skateboards are toys. The best toy.

Find an empty parking lot and learn to tick tack switch. Go somewhere flat and secluded and just glide like you’re Daniel Gesmer. Stop trying to skin this cat the same way all the time.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2024, 11:20:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

As someone in their late 40s, I disagree. Never ever force skateboarding. Only do it when you really want to. If its not fun, why bother? Its not like training for a marathon but it is easy to fuck yourself up by not being in the right mindset.

But to answer the original question, I'd say what others have already said, mix things up with terrain and equipment. Have a no ollie month and see what happens. Bomb some hills. Have a soft wheel day and see where it leads you. Find a pump track.

Allow me to clarify my point. There are times when I want to skate but I’m feeling lazy or depressed and I don’t want to leave the house. If I force myself to go skate I almost always have a good time. Not everyone has a burning desire to skate. Sometimes you gotta push yourself.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2024, 02:04:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Allow me to clarify my point. There are times when I want to skate but I’m feeling lazy or depressed and I don’t want to leave the house. If I force myself to go skate I almost always have a good time. Not everyone has a burning desire to skate. Sometimes you gotta push yourself.

Yeah, I get that. Seize it while you can.  It's a fine line. I love it so much, I usually 'want' to skate but might have to tap into some motivation and find the physical energy to actually do it then I'm always glad I did. However, I also know, if I'm really not feeling it, it might be best to do something else... or risk injury or a bad time...

dublak2

• Rep: -2
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2024, 09:41:14 AM »
I'm a 37 year old father so I don't experience the pangs of social withdrawals and FOMO anymore. I skate alone unless I bump into some acquaintances at the skate park. I don't have the time to skate whenever I want anymore which helps in a way because it forces me to carve out time on a calendar for it. My favorite ritual is to figure out when first light is the next morning. I wake up in the morning while it's still dark and arrive at the skatepark by first light. You get to experience a whole other part of the day that most people don't. I have the whole park to myself for about an hour until the other early heads arrive, but still isn't a crowd. It sort of feels like a secret mission when you're awake in the dark, loading the car with gear. Idk, I like it. Try it once; see if it fits.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2024, 03:24:01 PM »
I couldn't sleep at all really for about 6 months a few years back and got into skating every sunrise, was truly incredible.
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2024, 07:40:57 PM »
Probably in the minority here, but go skate alone and just do stupid shit that’s fun. Loosing tricks sucks and if you dwell on it, it sucks even more. Just go have fun and once you start feeling it more, start getting shit back if that’s your goal, or just dick around on new terrain or tricks.
Life’s to short to stress on something that’s supposed to be fun.

gringo_viejo

• Rep: 42
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2024, 08:44:48 PM »
Probably in the minority here, but go skate alone and just do stupid shit that’s fun. Loosing tricks sucks and if you dwell on it, it sucks even more. Just go have fun and once you start feeling it more, start getting shit back if that’s your goal, or just dick around on new terrain or tricks.
Life’s to short to stress on something that’s supposed to be fun.

^^totally agree^^
Promised myself that skating wouldn't be one more thing to feel bad about and that has served me well.
But sometimes I do make myself get out there. Roll around. Do a couple kickturns.
"If you're not feeling it, you can always come back inside," I tell myself.
I've never actually quit after I got to the spot.
One of the most fun sessions I've had lately was just doing ride-on grinds off the edge of some flat ground where the grass was low. Dinked around on there for like 40 minutes.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2024, 09:35:48 AM »
I couldn't sleep at all really for about 6 months a few years back and got into skating every sunrise, was truly incredible.

That's something I want to start doing this summer. There are some hills I want to bomb as the sun is coming up before people start commuting to work. Epic call.

231st Street

• Rep: -200
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2024, 01:21:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Put whatever shit you want in the DIY.  They dont own that shit-its a DIY- who cares if they try to "gatekeep"-- you are an old shredder now!
[close]

Don’t do this.

Sometimes features are planned for unused spaces: at the very least checkin with the people building before adding something.

Do find new spaces and places where you are to skate: being alone can be fun.

True-- in my instance I know the people who built it pretty well and didn't take up any planned space (and my obstacle is moveable) and am also a known kook. Was a bit of a joke.  The best advice someone gave in this thread is to realize its more about staying in shape then tricks as you age.  You will watch non-skaters breaking their ankles walking, tripping, etc., and it will make more sense.  Get some dragon wheels or 97a spits and hit the streets/hills. 

Crust

• Rep: 42
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2024, 09:33:34 AM »
Pick your favorite obstacle to skate: slappies, manny, tranny, etc. and design a session around that.

I recommend a skatepark at a quiet time as the ground is smooth and tricks are easier to aquire or relearn.

If you are more on the introverted side, go at a quiet time and bring some nice music to get the hype flowing.

Also, remember change is inevitable. I don't skate 3 hours a day everyday like I did when I was a teenager, and that's ok. Even in smaller doses, it is the still the same fun wooden toy and always will be.

Going through peaks and troughs with skating motivation is normal as adult responsibilities take hold.

vktrvghn

• Rep: 28
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2024, 02:30:43 PM »
Skateboarding is what you make it, are you doing it for validation or are you doing it because it's fun?

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2024, 09:05:54 AM »
You honestly have to force yourself, it's hard work.