Author Topic: Have you ever stolen from a skateshop?  (Read 3256 times)

cringe lord

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -26
Have you ever stolen from a skateshop?
« on: March 23, 2024, 07:00:07 AM »
Have you? Or skateshop workers have you had people try to steal from you?

I used to steal diamond shirts when I was a kid when diamond first came out and also stole some matix pants. Then in my 20s I stole 2 pairs of shoes from separate shops on a xanax binge.

I dont feel bad about it they owe.

@bolts_the_snowman on IG

• Rep: -131
Re: Have you ever stolen from a skateshop?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2024, 08:20:21 AM »
I stole a performance series tech deck from zumiez once. 30 bucks for a 15 dollar wooden fingerboard is insane. Their plastic 3 dollar tech decks are sold for 10 FUCKING DOLLARS. It’s like they’re encouraging you to steal it.

Anyway stealing from your local shop is kinda scummy bro

Jebediah

• Rep: 114
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2024, 08:27:20 AM »
Not me but a dude I would skate with sometimes got caught trying to take some pants and was banned from the local.

DirtyHippy666

• Rep: -1
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2024, 08:28:47 AM »
I personally haven't. The local hometown hero back home though did. He got hired by the skateshop and the next day bounced with $1000 of boards and product and went to california. Dude is a terrible person with all sorts of daterape and scummy lying and manipulation stories behind him.

besides that dude I have a homie who has hit several licks on zumiez, including skatetools and the super expensive bones swiss cermaic bearings lol.

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2024, 08:54:27 AM »
 YOU WOULDN'T DOWNLOAD A SKATESHOP

MyUserName

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 174
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2024, 09:08:18 AM »
Related-but-unrelated: Growing up I knew a guy who would steal ramps and boxes from driveways in a rich neighborhood. Like in broad daylight. Fuck that guy. Wonder what happened to him.

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2024, 09:14:21 AM »
I've done the opposite and given them a bunch of boards and product I never ended up using. It's better than it sitting in my storage.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 212
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2024, 09:14:35 AM »
Couple years ago someone smashed the glass door of the local and ripped off like 10 boards.

Myself and other shop supporters found out who the guy was and he's basically blacklisted from the community.

Don't do drugs, mmkay?
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

Puddy Smally

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2024, 09:16:24 AM »
A couple of my friends used to go into the neighboring local, grab boards off the rack and walk out.

I didn’t particularly like that sort of thing, just because the employees were always pretty cool to me.

I don’t have any sort of hang ups about people stealing from corporate entities.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2024, 09:17:15 AM »
Nah never

If it’s a zumiez tho whatever

Shtonk

• Rep: -332
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2024, 09:18:41 AM »
Do we all agree that stealing from corporate mall chains is fair game but stealing from your local is imperdonable? Always trips me out how many peabrians don't see the difference

Yonnycage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -81
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2024, 09:28:07 AM »
Absolutely not. I did jack a sweet pair of Thunder 149 lights and a ton of Independent coasters from the bike shop I used to work at because the owner was a scummy cokehead who never paid me on time. 

I reshingled that fucker's building and he tried to pay me per hour what I was making to chop firewood and fix bikes. Unreal.

Bitchardo Scantron

• Rep: -92
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2024, 09:39:18 AM »
I was a young kid and was accused of stealing from a shop once, interestingly I got sponsored by a different shop not long after. It was really upsetting to me because I didn’t do it. The owner found out it wasn’t me shortly after and apologized. We’re actually friends to this day.

SATIVA HYBRID

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2024, 09:39:29 AM »
hell no. the only kids i know who even tried got exiled from the community and i pretty much never saw them after that. for all i know they're dead or in prison
only hoe i love is popeyes
i put my dick in the drumstick

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 798
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2024, 09:39:36 AM »
No never and you shouldn't either

Bitchardo Scantron

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2024, 09:41:22 AM »
I stole a performance series tech deck from zumiez once. 30 bucks for a 15 dollar wooden fingerboard is insane. Their plastic 3 dollar tech decks are sold for 10 FUCKING DOLLARS. It’s like they’re encouraging you to steal it.

Anyway stealing from your local shop is kinda scummy bro

I don’t consider stealing from Zumiez to be the same as stealing from a core shop at all.

cringe lord

• Rep: -26
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2024, 09:52:18 AM »
Stealing is stealing it doesn't matter where from your fucking stealing. It's the same shit

Bitchardo Scantron

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2024, 09:53:29 AM »
Stealing is stealing it doesn't matter where from your fucking stealing. It's the same shit

No, it is not

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 825
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2024, 09:53:49 AM »
I don’t really consider this stealing per se ,but a long time ago we had a shop in town that was about to close, the owner was checked out and didn’t give a shit about anything. The people working there were over it.
I knew they had a big shop copy video library.
I walked in behind the counter grabbed all the skate videos and said “ I’m taking these, if the owner wants them back, have him call me” and walked out with probably 50 videos.
Never got a call from anyone.
I think it was a necessary evil on my part because I later found out he basically liquidated the shop and spent all the money on drugs.
Now all those shop copies reside at my shop for public enjoyment.

SATIVA HYBRID

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2024, 09:54:37 AM »
Do we all agree that stealing from corporate mall chains is fair game but stealing from your local is imperdonable? Always trips me out how many peabrians don't see the difference

kind of, you could view it like grocery stores (i.e. zumiez is like walmart and thus ok to steal from) but at the same time it could end up falling on smaller skate companies (depending on the product you steal) which sorta sucks. i guess if you steal nike sbs it's okay? who the fuck knows. i don't like telling people what to do but personally i would only steal necessities and as much as i love skateboarding that's not as easy to justify as food, toiletries, clothes etc.

Dad Board

• Rep: 64
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2024, 09:56:40 AM »
Back in the early 2000’s when I was just out of highschool I  worked for a Copelands sports at a local mall. Idk if you guys had one or remember but they used to have a whole skate section akin to a mini zumiez or something of that nature.
This place carried about what you’d expect from a one size fits all department store so no ipath or aesthetics gear but they did have some decent shoes and of course the good shit like bones Swiss and a nice lineup of wheels and trucks etc.

I’d be back there alone for 6+ hours ringing up snowboard bindings and gripping bam Margera decks for the kids. I started to realize this place had virtually zero security or surveillance installed and relied on fake cameras (the kind with the black dome on the ceiling) and shoplifters if detected were either pursued by mall security outside of the store or scared into being detained by store employees voluntarily. Usual shenanigans.

I being a broke 19 year old obsessed with skateboarding who made minimum wage was well aware of the “core vs kook” aspect of where I was working and who was profiting off of this venture started to pocket little things here and there. A box of bearings, some hardware, harsh euro barge on vhs, shit like that. I’d just slip it in my bag since literally nobody was monitoring me or checking on me for my entire shift aside to watch the register while I was on break.

Management was negligent to say the least, but here’s the best part, this place was a logistics shitshow. Boxes would come off of the trucks and inventory wasn’t managed at all. They kept track for snowboards, golf equipment, fitness machines etc. but for the skateboarding section it would just be unaccounted for. Product was taken out of boxes and put on shelves randomly. I couldn’t believe it.

I decided to go big. I started to fill trash bags full of gear. Shoes, bearings and wheels to sell, shirts, pants, you name it. I’d walk out of the store and throw it inside one of my buddies cars who’d be waiting in the nearby parking lot. Coworkers thought I was taking out the trash to the big bins below the store. This went on for months.

Then I got brash. I decided that since nothing was being accounted for I could skip the middle man and start pocketing cash directly from the consumer. Friends and people who I thought would be into it would bring items to the register, pay me about half of what the item was worth and I’d simply remove the security tags, print out a fake receipt, bag their items and then pocket the cash. I was essentially just allowing them to shoplift. Business started booming. Locals at the skateparks knew about the hustle and would start to become regulars. People would know they can get a deck and a set of wheels for $40 if I was working. It was fabulous. This went on for about 5 months until another coworker caught wind and decided he wanted to try.

He got busted within a few weeks stealing product for himself while leaving (idiot) and crumbled. He admitted everything and threw me under the bus. I didn’t show up for my shifts and pretty much waited for the police to show up to my house. They never came. I got a call from the store manager to come pickup my last check. I go in and manager guy is sitting there with a stern looking woman who I assumed was some big shot detective there to present me with charges. It turned out to be someone from Copelands corperate who told me they knew everything I’d done.

I played it cool and denied everything “never heard of that, wasn’t me, must be mistaken” she said they had installed spy cams all over the department and had me on video stealing. I asked to see the tape. She refused to show me. I asked for my check, they threatened to call the police, I said ok, they looked at each other and told me that the cops will be in touch with me soon. I got my last check and never went back.

They went out of business a few years later.

SATIVA HYBRID

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2024, 09:59:25 AM »
I don’t really consider this stealing per se ,but a long time ago we had a shop in town that was about to close, the owner was checked out and didn’t give a shit about anything. The people working there were over it.
I knew they had a big shop copy video library.
I walked in behind the counter grabbed all the skate videos and said “ I’m taking these, if the owner wants them back, have him call me” and walked out with probably 50 videos.
Never got a call from anyone.
I think it was a necessary evil on my part because I later found out he basically liquidated the shop and spent all the money on drugs.
Now all those shop copies reside at my shop for public enjoyment.

this is different due to the situation, you could argue that you acted in the name of historical preservation. if he really wanted the money you made it known, seems pretty transparent to me

FUBAR

• Rep: 236
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2024, 10:12:39 AM »
Fuck a thief.

Shtonk

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2024, 10:14:38 AM »

Wrong.

Shtonk

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2024, 10:19:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

kind of, you could view it like grocery stores (i.e. zumiez is like walmart and thus ok to steal from) but at the same time it could end up falling on smaller skate companies (depending on the product you steal) which sorta sucks. i guess if you steal nike sbs it's okay? who the fuck knows. i don't like telling people what to do but personally i would only steal necessities and as much as i love skateboarding that's not as easy to justify as food, toiletries, clothes etc.

How would it fall on the company? What's in the Shop is owner by the Shop?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 10:29:15 AM by Shtonk »

alienlurkshop

• Rep: -32
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2024, 10:26:15 AM »
They used to print all the blitz decks by my house and everyone in the neighborhood would jack them when they went on lunch break

Crust

• Rep: 42
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2024, 10:39:47 AM »
No.

I'd probably feel a worse guilt for stealing from a skateshop than any other type of shop.

French manicure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 267
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2024, 10:48:20 AM »
My brother used to steal pants from Zumiez quite a bit. I don't think I have it in me to steal (in general) especially from a legit skateshop.

LeDave

• Rep: -16
    • Dave Le Photography avatar image
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2024, 12:50:37 PM »

I agree.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2024, 12:59:17 PM »

Nah. There is certainly a time and place to steal. Skate shops are def not that  place.