Author Topic: Steve Rocco back from the dead?  (Read 18396 times)

Pete

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 720
  • Free Max B
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Steve Rocco back from the dead?
« Reply #210 on: March 29, 2024, 04:33:06 AM »
Does the average sk8r in 2024 have any idea who Rocco is, or give a shit after being told “yeah that guy used to be like super edgy in the 80s.”
Feels like something that could have worked for a few months in 2014 if Kareem was involved, before bailing.

Free max b
FREE MAX B

rawr1922

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #211 on: March 29, 2024, 04:35:02 AM »
 That new 9.125 Opera looks beautiful

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 501
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #212 on: March 29, 2024, 09:05:24 AM »

It’s already working! All hail Rocco!

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2240
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #213 on: March 29, 2024, 11:05:42 AM »
every kid these days dresses like it’s ‘97 2004 shit looks horrible.

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 768
« Reply #214 on: March 29, 2024, 12:56:18 PM »
96-97 fits were the best
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Skateboard Shuffle

• Rep: 136
« Reply #215 on: March 29, 2024, 05:44:43 PM »
every kid these days dresses like it’s ‘97 '92

Long live Goofy Boy!

c-dock

• Rep: 10
  • Lurker
« Reply #216 on: March 29, 2024, 07:32:09 PM »
Does the average sk8r in 2024 have any idea who Rocco is, or give a shit after being told “yeah that guy used to be like super edgy in the 80s.”
Feels like something that could have worked for a few months in 2014 if Kareem was involved, before bailing.

Free max b

These were my exact thoughts when I heard the news but I couldn't figure out how to explain it. But I agree with Pete

Marv

• Rep: 98

Dad Board

• Rep: 68
« Reply #218 on: March 29, 2024, 08:40:08 PM »
From 2002

http://static1.1.sqspcdn.com/static/f/1061781/23445645/1378316803533/ROCCO_INTV_Spread2.jpg?token=k1g%2BI6sB3pkCL%2BavFWcu8Ty8LCg%3D

“You're never going to beat the big guys out there today at their own game. They are so good, compared to what Powell Peralta and Vision were. Not only in the product they make, the direction they take their com- panies, and the strengths of their benches, but they have an expansive radar. They will see you coming from miles away. You need to think outside the box, disregard the rules and do things unlike anyone has
done them before. Let your inner child run free.”

This is an interesting quote. Maybe he does have a trick up his sleeve. Maybe not. The ultimate irony would be if he came back and just started taking a shit on all the weird neocon pockets of skateboarding that are pissing themselves in excitement hoping he’ll help them bully already marginalized groups. Woke Rocco lmao 

Fasttimes

• Rep: -32
« Reply #219 on: March 29, 2024, 10:34:02 PM »
Expand Quote
You are just giving him fuel. He is the master. Right now the market is pre/post World. He decides the format. I would love to see how he does post print age. Rocco created the culture you kids live in. Check his World boards, he's grabbing honey.
[close]

I hope this is sarcasm.

It mostly is satirical and sarcastic; but his age doesn't matter, he was prehistoric then, to kids. If he can create the World energy in the internet age or try; I would definitely grab popcorn. My pre/post comment was to explain how he brought a lot in the market where there was 2 houses that had all the brands (pre-world), but then in post-facto-World, the industry made the explosion of tons of small brands that dissipated World. The fact he sold it after he was done screwing a lot money hungry jerks was amazing. I don't think World started to be a money maker, he just went to ASR and was sick that skateboarding had no real roots anymore. I would love to be a fly in that corporate room when he took 20 mil from corporate assholes. Also, according to rumors he ran through the parking gate when he left in a Range Rover. Skipped the 8 dollar garage ticket?! I say let him try and especially with those brands! He doesn't care what you or I think, that why he is great. Gizmos!

Fasttimes

« Reply #220 on: March 29, 2024, 10:37:14 PM »
used to be stoked on his savanna slama part as a kid. first time i saw a 360 ollie (@11:00 ish)

Such an amazing video. So cool. Rocco could hang.

Fasttimes

« Reply #221 on: March 29, 2024, 10:48:57 PM »
Expand Quote
used to be stoked on his savanna slama part as a kid. first time i saw a 360 ollie (@11:00 ish)

[close]

Such an amazing video. So cool. Rocco could hang.

I forget that for the most part but, notice how the skaters helped put it altogether? Some of those legacy dudes that still exist gave a shit, and there was multiples times this whole thing could have died. I don't see street league dudes helping set it up. I know times change . . .

P.S. a large majority of skaters are uninformed and young, with mommy money, that buy one board. Let's not forget Rocco is the master. Randy Colvin 1991 board? Every kid on earth with unsupervised parenting bought it. . . It's not being core it's being effective. . .

rawr1922

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #222 on: March 30, 2024, 04:47:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

LOLZ. For real, rather spend $70 on Opera than Baker

Dad Board

« Reply #223 on: March 30, 2024, 10:10:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
LOLZ. For real, rather spend $70 on Opera than Baker

Why?

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 12:04:02 PM by Steely Daniel »

steele

• Rep: 31
« Reply #225 on: March 30, 2024, 11:52:11 AM »
Steve Rocco is skateboarding's George Lucas.

Was the best, flipped the industry, then relied too much on animated characters.

Tabletop

• Rep: -72
« Reply #226 on: March 30, 2024, 01:17:41 PM »

Free max b

Does the average skater understand Rocco wrote the script for today’s skateboard company? Does Rocco give a shit if today’s average skater doesn’t understand the game?

Ninj2

• Rep: -69
« Reply #227 on: March 30, 2024, 01:38:36 PM »
Rocco and Marc Johnson is a power couple

Puddy Smally

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 163
« Reply #228 on: March 30, 2024, 03:44:08 PM »
So, are we just gonna gloss over the paying a 15 year old to walk around a demo topless?

I like Rocco, but that’s pretty questionable.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

Dad Board

« Reply #229 on: March 30, 2024, 04:20:02 PM »
So, are we just gonna gloss over the paying a 15 year old to walk around a demo topless?

Was not aware of that. Source?

steele

• Rep: 31
« Reply #230 on: March 30, 2024, 05:43:42 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Was not aware of that. Source?

Steve Rocco, in the interview posted above.

Rob Dyrdek also complained about it in a Soapbox column in a early Big Brother.

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2240
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #231 on: March 30, 2024, 07:19:31 PM »
Didn't he also used to get them strippers when they were all like 15-17? Maybe prostitutes as well?

Marv

Marv

« Reply #233 on: March 30, 2024, 10:29:59 PM »

Dad Board

« Reply #234 on: March 31, 2024, 02:11:30 AM »

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #235 on: March 31, 2024, 02:16:40 AM »
Of course younger people know about Rocco. He made sure to spin his own revisionist history that didn't include selling knowingly shit wood with the same obsolete Sims shape and atrocious graphics (his own, not the iconic Greg Evans typographic art). His greatest strength was hiring the right people. Though it would take a few years. Rocco was even more out of touch than George Powell when he released such hits as the Think Crime board, based on the same Sims board, with a hint of old Zorlac and a comically pointy nose. On both boards, the rear truck stuck way out if sized for the front and the tail might be the widest part of the board.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #236 on: March 31, 2024, 07:30:30 AM »
Last few times I've been to the skate park I've sensed this...and it now must be true....skateboarding is dead....

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3329
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #237 on: March 31, 2024, 07:53:43 AM »
I legitimately wonder sometimes how much of my personality and sense of humor are owed to the first 3 or 4 issues of Big Brother. They came out when I was…16? 17? I was a teenager when its publication started and I was just escaping the clutches of the Baptist Church so it represented possibility in a way nothing had before. Rocco’s fingerprints were all over everything in those first few issues.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
« Reply #238 on: March 31, 2024, 09:33:14 AM »
Of course younger people know about Rocco. He made sure to spin his own revisionist history that didn't include selling knowingly shit wood with the same obsolete Sims shape and atrocious graphics (his own, not the iconic Greg Evans typographic art). His greatest strength was hiring the right people. Though it would take a few years. Rocco was even more out of touch than George Powell when he released such hits as the Think Crime board, based on the same Sims board, with a hint of old Zorlac and a comically pointy nose. On both boards, the rear truck stuck way out if sized for the front and the tail might be the widest part of the board.
I don’t think anyone under 35 would know any of the words in your post

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #239 on: March 31, 2024, 10:08:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I don’t think anyone under 35 would know any of the words in your post
Thought I dumbed it down by deleting the Taylor-Dykema reference. Nevermind, all hail rocco.