Author Topic: how to get air off a curb bonk?  (Read 257 times)

manuduncan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 24
how to get air off a curb bonk?
« on: March 28, 2024, 01:22:20 PM »
hi guys i'm mostly ground bound these days fuck around on curbs and can do the slappy basics and obviously ollie on flat but the little curb bonks elude me, especially getting air off them?

https://youtu.be/DnVR0f2T1Ek?si=ROPM6PRIviTN0iwl&t=15

like this

i'm not really scared of it, i can charge the curb and go pretty fast at it but i mostly just like rumble over the top and my deck does more of a seesaw motion instead of using it to get a little air

do you use your back foot to scoop the tail heavily into the curb or something?

Crust

• Rep: 42
Re: how to get air off a curb bonk?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2024, 03:49:11 PM »
It's a similar motion to a wallie except with less power and more light footedness.

I scoop the tail down and forward into the curb. The second I've done that I make sure that foot is light. All the while sliding my front foot up the nose to level it and get the air.

Hope this helps

manuduncan

• Rep: 24
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2024, 04:46:24 PM »
I see I kinda figured - I can wallie straight up and over like ledge high but curbs seem too short for me to scoop the tail forward to smack it in time for anything to happen

Maybe I have to move my front foot more down to the middle of the deck instead of by the bolts? To get the tail to smack the curb faster with the forward scoop?

Thanks!

Crust

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2024, 04:54:56 PM »
I see I kinda figured - I can wallie straight up and over like ledge high but curbs seem too short for me to scoop the tail forward to smack it in time for anything to happen

Maybe I have to move my front foot more down to the middle of the deck instead of by the bolts? To get the tail to smack the curb faster with the forward scoop?

Thanks!

Sometimes if a curb is too small it can be more difficult, I find them easier on decent size curbs.

I guess you could try that and see if it works for you. Personally, I feel the front foot placement is inconsequential, near the bolts is fine for me.

It's all about the back foot pop it and becoming light. You do a hop with your body as well and become light with the board and just kind of lift.

Instead of most of the lift coming from the front foot like a wallie, it's about getting a floaty bonk with the back, while being light enough yourself on your hop to give the bonk the ability to rise.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1570
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2024, 03:01:31 AM »

Thanks!

Trick is a strange one because it relies on wallie principle but not nearly as exaggerated or violent and in practice feels like the same (relatively low) effort you would put in to just carve on a bank, except of course there is no bank to ride up so you just directly hit the curb. That's probably what Crust means with the lightfootedness, you don't even really have to think front foot and back foot, you just kind of hit it like there's transition. Backside I learned them kind of by accident by trying to improvise curb b/s bluntslides at too open an angle and too late to catch the edge, just to say it's more about leaning back and going through ollie motion with your legs and body, maybe if you find a curb with a 90 degree corner you can clip/clear that might help you figure them out, going for an ollie but with as little actual ollie as possible. Frontside I approached differently after naturally running into several mini quarterpipe shaped curb spots and gutters, for those I always just pretended frontside ollie but it's the world's miniest mini.

Crust

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2024, 04:05:48 AM »
Expand Quote

Thanks!
[close]

Trick is a strange one because it relies on wallie principle but not nearly as exaggerated or violent and in practice feels like the same (relatively low) effort you would put in to just carve on a bank, except of course there is no bank to ride up so you just directly hit the curb. That's probably what Crust means with the lightfootedness, you don't even really have to think front foot and back foot, you just kind of hit it like there's transition. Backside I learned them kind of by accident by trying to improvise curb b/s bluntslides at too open an angle and too late to catch the edge, just to say it's more about leaning back and going through ollie motion with your legs and body, maybe if you find a curb with a 90 degree corner you can clip/clear that might help you figure them out, going for an ollie but with as little actual ollie as possible. Frontside I approached differently after naturally running into several mini quarterpipe shaped curb spots and gutters, for those I always just pretended frontside ollie but it's the world's miniest mini.

That's a great way to put it silhouette, going for an ollies with as little ollie as possible.

To me it feels if there's a gap involved then the backfoot has to bash a bit more. But if it's just a lift up a curb or off a curb, then a lighter push/pop is more the technique.

Never thought of them as frontside or backside Sil, that sounds really rad! I've always just done them straight on. Must experiment with angles.

I did one of these some time ago down a gap the size of a 10 stair. Never heard a name for it so I called it a Curbie haha. Love this trick, don't see enough of it.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2024, 04:30:10 AM »
can we can it a Kirby?

Crust

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2024, 06:01:03 AM »
can we can it a Kirby?

We could, but with a K?

Kirby just makes me think of Smash Bros. haha

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 212
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2024, 04:07:38 PM »
Expand Quote
can we can it a Kirby?
[close]

We could, but with a K?

Kirby just makes me think of Smash Bros. haha

i'm into it

frontside kirby, backside kirby, kirby to boardslide, kirby shuv, kirby no-comply

kirby's are a fun trick, needs a fun name to go with it

Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here