Author Topic: Costco: Intense pleasure/Extreme disappointment  (Read 1094 times)

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1591
  • Overweight and Underprepared
Costco: Intense pleasure/Extreme disappointment
« on: April 02, 2024, 12:14:57 PM »
After pay day, I made the trek that many of us make: the monthly pilgrimage to Costco. I thought it could be helpful to share our positive and negative experiences with their products so that we don't end up buying a huge amount of something that sucks.

Intense pleasure: Costco hotdogs

Where to start? A frankfurter served on a fluffy steamed bun that has a desirable length and girth that can vanquish the hunger of an adult human. Not to mention, it comes with a drink that has unlimited refills. Top it with the complimentary condiments to your hearts content and go nuts. I myself go for the quad-fecta, mustard, ketchup, relish, and onions. I kid you not, it tastes just like biting into an American flag. After tax, it is $1.62 right out the door.  Hot damn, that's a bargain! Also, there is the added psychological benefit of feeling like you "got one over" on Costco by getting such a cheap dog, albeit after spending $524 dollars on all the other items in your cart. Bonus fact: No one is going to stop you from using the drink cup to stock up on ketchup for home use.

Extreme disappointment: Whole bean French roast coffee

I thought I would up my coffee game and start using whole beans that I grind myself just before I start boiling water. I forgot what I paid exactly, but it was somewhere in the ballpark of 15 bucks for 2 and a half pounds. I can tell you I won't be buying it ever again. It is sort of burnt tasting like Starbucks, but in an adjacent and forgettable way, sort of like a Bill Pullman-Bill Paxton type of deal. Side note: screw Starbucks for how they treat their employees. Don't get me wrong, this coffee is better than instant coffee, but so is a kick in the nuts if you get an experienced dominatrix.  I will use this coffee up, but more or less out of spite. 

Extreme disappointment: Rotisserie Chicken

At least here in California, every time I get one of these chiggens they taste like chemicals. I mean, I like my microplastics as much as the next person, but come on. Do you feel me?
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1392
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Costco: Intense pleasure/Extreme disappointment
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2024, 12:53:33 PM »
Costco in eureka had a local coffee roaster for sale. Not my fave local roaster, but that was cool.

Pleasure:

Giant containers of bitchin’ sauce
Huge bricks of tilamook cheddar
Cheap bananas
Can return ANYTHING

Disappointment:

Costco in Massachusetts SUUUUUCKS and is not fun to get high and go to

Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

BurgerCop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -55
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2024, 12:57:50 PM »
Costco just isn't working out for my girlfriend and me. We've tried buying in bulk but there's not much we eat consistently enough to justify it and then we have issues finishing bulk food before it expires, gets freezer burned or we're just sick of it.
We give it another shot every few months but seldom walk out with much, typically our conversations in Costco go like "I don't think we have room for 50 chicken breasts in our freezer" and "Sure, $75 for a 10 gallon drum of parmesan cheese is a good deal...but..."
I'm sure I'd appreciate the place more if I had a chest freezer in the garage and maybe a kid or two or four.

I try to remember to buy booze and gasoline at Costco but the nearest one is about 15 minute drive from my house and there's so many grocery stores and gas stations closer to me that I usually get lazy and go wherever is closest.

I did buy my TV there and got a really good deal, so that was cool.

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2024, 01:41:07 PM »
Costco just isn't working out for my girlfriend and me. We've tried buying in bulk but there's not much we eat consistently enough to justify it and then we have issues finishing bulk food before it expires, gets freezer burned or we're just sick of it.
We give it another shot every few months but seldom walk out with much, typically our conversations in Costco go like "I don't think we have room for 50 chicken breasts in our freezer" and "Sure, $75 for a 10 gallon drum of parmesan cheese is a good deal...but..."
I'm sure I'd appreciate the place more if I had a chest freezer in the garage and maybe a kid or two or four.

I try to remember to buy booze and gasoline at Costco but the nearest one is about 15 minute drive from my house and there's so many grocery stores and gas stations closer to me that I usually get lazy and go wherever is closest.

I did buy my TV there and got a really good deal, so that was cool.

As a single person, I completely understand your position on the massive portions. I tend to stay away from fruit/vegetables there for the same reason, as well as with their big pre-made meals that are sold by the pound. At first glance, 5 pounds of chicken Alfredo already made sounds great since it eliminates the need to cook... but then again... it is 5 pounds of Alfredo.

Well, if the relationship goes south, which I hope is not the case, maybe Costco would be the best place to end the relationship. You can start with the discussion of the Costco membership. "This membership just isn't working for me... and to be honest....neither is our relationship." Plus it is in public so the likelihood that you are physically assaulted is quite low.
But again, I hope that you do not have to go through emotional turmoil. Just thinking out loud. 

Never forget:

rawr1922

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2024, 01:48:07 PM »
Totally relatable. I stopped buying perishable food like cheese & meats . You save major coin buying: TP, cat liter, napkins , butter (freeze most of it), any type of canned beans (black , kidney, garbanzos), Parmesan cheese, Clorox type wipes, sponges, tissues. The fruits & veggies good deals too. And their loaf of sourdough tasty, Kirkland Colombian dark roast all wins

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2024, 02:03:12 PM »
If you have a dog, the dental chews from costco are legendary

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1098
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2024, 02:04:45 PM »
Monthly? I'm there every weekend.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

pugmaster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2024, 02:13:57 PM »

I have a tendency to cosplay as a prospector, more so in a conceptual sense rather than in wearing period-specific clothing, so I view going to Costco as my version of "going into town to the general store for provisions." I never expected to be this weird as an adult in this phase of my life, but here we are.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 04:08:28 PM by pugmaster »

Never forget:

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 772
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2024, 06:37:50 PM »
This thread title is pretty much how I feel about donuts. Intensely pleasurable to consume but I am extremely dissapointed with myself and feel disgusting within 60 seconds.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1373
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2024, 07:11:18 PM »

Yeah, I had a membership when I was single, and it wasn't worth it. It makes more sense for families. Plus I wasn't feeling the membership fee.

Also, the Costcos in my area aren't able to take Visa and I didn't like the limitation on pay methods much. Found that the fruits/vegetable selection was better at other grocery stores as well. Also it's super busy and cramped. I'm trying to support smaller, local supermarkets.

But my wife's mom and brother have a Costco membership so I've been able to find some good Kirkland clothes, so that's a plus.

igrindtwinkies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2024, 07:22:03 PM »

Same.

The smoothie and pizza from the food court is good.  I bring my 64 oz thermos in and fill it up with distilled water.

The avocados and mushrooms are a weekly purchase.  Love the blueberries, blackberries and strawberries depending on the season.
Flour tortillas, tortilla chips, Kirkland Nut Butter are all regular purchases.  Put some of the nut butter on a tortilla and add a bunch of blueberries, super good.

I rotate out sparkling waters depending on what's available or on sale.  Mine doesn't have chicken thighs anymore so I get breasts.  There's some preseasoned chicken wings too, that are really good in the air fryer.

Whenver they have the black bean patties in stock I get a bunch of those.  I usually get some beyond burgers or something if they don't have black bean.

Depending on what almonds they got, I get a big bag of those too.  Right now I have some pumpkin seeds they had on sale, super good and healthy.  There's a 64 oz container of juice I buy with prebiotics in it.  Sambazon or something, it's low sugar and still tastes pretty sweet, probably got some artifical flavoring or something.

I haven't drank in a few years, but I used to get the handles of Kirkland Tequila Blanco.  My portable speaker is from there, job rocker max or something.  Works good.  I bought a massage gun that i never use for 40 dollars or something there, works fine.

edit: oh ya I have real low standards for food so this post probably isn't much help to you.  They don't have them anymore at mine, but the pickled herring is dank.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 08:27:01 PM by igrindtwinkies »

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2024, 07:22:38 PM »
My brother is obsessed. Him and his teen daughter were on a mission to get the Kirkland Signature slides last summer, to the point where they were hitting up multiple locations. Said they were mad comfortable, to be on topic.

I ate my weight in chocolate covered raisins as a kid.
And blueberry muffins. I am sure they are still plenty tasty.

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2024, 07:46:37 PM »

My in laws are retired and loyal Costco consumers. They go two or three times a week and spend about $1000 a month. I benefit from some of their purchases but also end up with stuff I already have in bulk because I can’t use it as fast as they give it. Good problem to have I guess.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1929
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2024, 07:53:08 PM »
After pay day, I made the trek that many of us make: the monthly pilgrimage to Costco. I thought it could be helpful to share our positive and negative experiences with their products so that we don't end up buying a huge amount of something that sucks.

Intense pleasure: Costco hotdogs

Where to start? A frankfurter served on a fluffy steamed bun that has a desirable length and girth that can vanquish the hunger of an adult human. Not to mention, it comes with a drink that has unlimited refills. Top it with the complimentary condiments to your hearts content and go nuts. I myself go for the quad-fecta, mustard, ketchup, relish, and onions. I kid you not, it tastes just like biting into an American flag. After tax, it is $1.62 right out the door.  Hot damn, that's a bargain! Also, there is the added psychological benefit of feeling like you "got one over" on Costco by getting such a cheap dog, albeit after spending $524 dollars on all the other items in your cart. Bonus fact: No one is going to stop you from using the drink cup to stock up on ketchup for home use.

I had the pleasure of trying my first Costco hotdog on holiday a few weeks ago and you're spot on with the descriptions, worth every penny and I didn't hate myself afterwards.

As for coffee:
My mother-in-law does a blend of the house and vanilla bean in a 1:1 ratio, a little light on the caffeine but damn does it taste like heaven.

They have these massive bags of popcorn at Costco which we fucking love.

Just off the 1 trip there these are the winners we found:
- Frozen chicken breast
- Jameson 1.75L whiskey if you aren't a snob and want something easy to sip
- Croissants by the box
- Bottled water if you don't run a filter
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mr. Pickles

• Rep: 39
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2024, 11:30:53 PM »
I ate a Costco rotisserie chicken to my face tonight. Family is out of town and it’s just me and the dogs. Costco same day delivery is fucking legit. Had my shit in an hour and it was only like $5.

We don’t buy everything from Costco, but we do get meat, produce, coffee, and snacks there. Trail mix and nuts are just way cheaper at Costco.

m477

• Rep: 7
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2024, 11:31:39 PM »
Been a Costco member for quite some time, at least 15 years, executive member (pays for itself plus more). Groceries, gas, tires, etc, tons of good stuff for a family of 3+

This might sound lame but my favorite item is Stretchtite. Its the best. I use it for everything, wrapping/portioning meats like beef to freeze, covering leftovers (instead of tupperware), covering blocks of cheese after each use, etc... its the most versatile item. Not to mention, its the best quality seran wrap product on the market (no, I don't work for costco).

Our other staples: filet mignon, chicken thighs, milk, 5 dozen eggs, casamigos, white claws, artisan lettuce, english cucumbers, power greens, paper towels/tp (on sale), breakfast bowls, sour cream, canned beans, basmati rice. Lots of other stuff...

Usually we get between $100-$250 bonus check from the executive membership so it pretty much pays for itself.

m477

• Rep: 7
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2024, 11:46:59 PM »
That being said, the only disappointment with Costco is the Idiocracy like people you come across in the store and parking lot. Like, wow. Supreme oblivious dumbasses with no self awareness. I try to utilize low traffic mid week days to shop and get gas... otherwise its a cluster...

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 382
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2024, 12:04:16 AM »
The only reason the CostCo hot dog is so cheap is because they use they power in the marketplace to reduce pay and safety protections for meat plant workers so they can keep it so cheap so they can they sell it to you as some moral triumph. Jamie Loftus talks about it in her book Raw Dog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rFRKV1O5jo

I'm jealous I don't have a CostCo membership to take advantage of their cool bourbon sales. They will occasionally get boxes upon boxes of rare stuff that they sell for close to MSRP and it makes me so mad.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1098
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2024, 12:06:04 AM »
No lie, I buy pretty much everything at Costco:

Batteries, external hard drives, tires for my car, books on the human anatomy and stretching, blue jeans, dental floss, soap bars, avacados, salmon, tomatoes, mushrooms, spindrifts, tp, paper towles, cat litter, beyond patties, burritos, fire extinguishers, sharpies, band aids, condoms, uncooked tortillas, cheese, watermelons, ramen, sandwich bags, toothbrushes, tennis balls, tupperware, carrots, pineapples, smoked salmon, coconuts, milk, hint water, the list goes on and on, etc., etc.,...

At this point, I only go to Costco and my local farmer's market. I go in a regular supermarket maybe once a month or two.

My favorite shit is when they got exactly what you need and it's on sale. Buy a fuckton of them! It's not on sale? Fuck it, buy one and keep an eye out for when it goes on sale later.

The pizza is more than servicable, esp when you add some raw onions and bring your own jalapenos.

I try not to buy gas anywhere else.

There's a 7 out of 10 chance that some quasi-homeless guy is giving himself a whore's bath in the bathroom trough-style sink when I go in.

They say not to feed the birds but I tear up my pizza crust and give it to them every time (making sure the most feeble birds get their fair share). You can't tell me what to do.

I love it all!

Their heaters and fans suck though. And ergonomic chairs too. Don't buy.

One time some guy was smoking a cigarette right next to the food court. That was pretty lame. Like, dude, just walk, like, 40 feet over there.

Also some of these ppl get straight ravenous when it comes to the free samples. I stopped fucking with them because some folks' morals go right out the window. Like, we've formed a line and you just come in from the side and take one of the very limited quantity free samples? Really? Do you see the line?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 12:16:44 AM by EdLawndale »
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -55
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2024, 08:03:49 AM »

Well, if the relationship goes south, which I hope is not the case, maybe Costco would be the best place to end the relationship. You can start with the discussion of the Costco membership. "This membership just isn't working for me... and to be honest....neither is our relationship." Plus it is in public so the likelihood that you are physically assaulted is quite low.
But again, I hope that you do not have to go through emotional turmoil. Just thinking out loud.

I can never leave her, or her me. We've done something far stronger than marriage...we merged our record collections.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2024, 08:16:22 AM »
Buy;

Kitty Litter
Non-Alcoholic Budweiser
Kirkland Protein Bars
Peanut Butter Pretzel Nuggets
Muffins
Korean Jerky
Pasta Sauce
Prime Hydration Drink
Popcorners
Kirkland Mild Italian Sausages
Kirkland Boxer Briefs
Kirkland Merino Wool Socks
Tilley Slippers
Fudge Smoothie Bars
Dill Pickle Salad
Vitamins & Supplements
Tuxedo Cake
Frozen Blueberries
Greek Yogurt
Guy Fieri BBQ Sauce
Pizza Delight Smoky Bacon Donair Pizza

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1481
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2024, 08:20:29 AM »
The most extreme disappointment in my closest Costco is that it sells absolutely no liquor because of the county location. Big bummer. The south sucks with these stupid laws.

I get a rotisserie chicken practically every visit because I share a good bit of it with my very spoiled dog.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2024, 09:22:43 AM »
Bulk coconut water is on point, the crowds are the only thing that’s wack.

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 645
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2024, 09:26:31 AM »
My partner and I have a membership and go there often, even though we're just two people. We'll mostly get stuff we know we'll use up and non-perishables that'll last us awhile. We skip most of the produce and get that from the farmers market or a smaller grocery store. We also don't eat meat so that helps narrow our options a bit.

Must haves for us:

Gas
Four pack of tofu
Eggs
Bagels and bread (they usually come in two packs so we'll freeze one)
Sparkling water
Oat milk
Butter
Annies mac and cheese
Beyond or impossible burgers
TP and paper towels
Multivitamins
Allergy meds
Toiletries (handsoap, toothpaste, toothbrushes, etc.)

The $2 slice of cheese pizza is a must too. I fucking love Costco pizza

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2024, 10:02:11 AM »
I'm pretty much only a member for the hot dogs at this point. I'll stop by literally just to get a diesel sometimes

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2024, 10:53:17 AM »
Any good return stories?

Moving x country i returned a $480 vacuum cleaner. That was most of our gas money. My lady was like “fuhkin powah food my ass… we cant be those people.” And i said “fuhk this company. The vacuum failed to suck properly anyways. Its going back!”

I get there and there are 3 other people returning vacuum cleaners. No shame!

Back where we were at before, Costco was much mellower. It was alright to get fried and go do your business. This one outside Boston is awful. People are aggro as fuck -surprise- and like angry to be there. Costco paper goods, non perishables, and and shit like that get delivered to the crib now.

LeDave

• Rep: -23
    • Dave Le Photography avatar image
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2024, 10:56:22 AM »
Those hotdogs are bomb and with the drink and at the price it is at, it’s indescribable for humanity.

rawr1922

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2024, 04:26:17 PM »
Those hotdogs are bomb and with the drink and at the price it is at, it’s indescribable for humanity.
When I feel like pigging out . Get a slice of pepperoni , a slice of cheese, & a hot dog . Literally less than $6 for everything,  so satisfying. Hebrew Nationals the best dogs. I’m also convinced slices taste better than ordering a whole pie from Costco

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2024, 04:43:57 PM »
The Kirkland thin crust frozen pizza sucks though, got fooled by that once.  And the Stromboli 3 Meat is trash too.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2024, 03:19:12 PM »
love costco for a lot of things but you gotta be really careful about buying produce there, I feel like every time I get bananas at costco I buy them green and the next day they're spotty and gross, there's no in between. Every time I go I get bulk coconut water and trail mix/nuts. I used to get most of my clothes from costco but my girl makes fun of me for it so I don't anymore lol, now it's pretty much only socks and underwear that I'll get from there. Back when I drove a car that uses gas I would almost exclusively get gas at costco, it's always the cheapest gas within a 10 mile radius at least until the next costco. I fuck with some of their pastries and premade foods too, although a big peeve I have with them is the inconsistent availability of a lot of their stuff. I feel like every time I've found something they sell that I like they immediately discontinue it, or it's "seasonal" (ie good luck ever seeing that shit again, hope you remember what it's called so you can google it and buy it somewhere else). I used to like the pizza a lot more when I was younger but my digestive system is shittier now and it just ends up making me feel like shit, I've gotten into their roast beef/turkey sandwiches recently though, those are pretty good quality in comparison. Never been into hot dogs and haven't drank soda in a while but I commend them for the hot dog and soda deal, fucking impressive these days to see prices like that.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?